An Underrated Game

A fishing RPG that's older than Harvest Moon. Current games include River King 1 (GB/3DS VC), River King 2 (GBC/3DS VC), River King Advanced (GBA), A Wonderful Journey (Ps2), and Mystic Valley (DS)
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Marvelous stopped making them. Wish they'd give them to Natsume, I moved to Reel Fishing. It's also good but not the same.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Soapy: AHH YAY!!!!!! That so awesome! : D I'll restart my file this weekend so I can have a fresh start. I hope you like it!!

Anon: I wish they'd made more too. Stardew Valley has a fun fishing system if you're interested, it's difficult at first but becomes entertaining after you get the hang of it.
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Yay!! I'm gonna play some tonight and then hopefully we'll be kind of at the same stage of the game as we go through! I guess it doesn't fully matter anyway.

Yeah I really enjoyed the fishing system in SDV~
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Awesome! : D Have you started it yet?
I don't mind if you get ahead of me, since I've played pretty far into it in the past. But I'm excited to hear your first thoughts!
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Yes I've started it! And I'm really enjoying it!! I still need to improve on my ~fishing technique~ but aww it's such a charming, relaxing game. I love how you speak to your sister to save your game. :')
And when I got my first pet I flipped out - I am in love. I've been feeding her all of my fish instead of saving them up for cards lol. I'm gonna name my pets after fish cause it seemed appropriate, so my first one is called Minnow! And she liked the minnow I gave her which felt very satisfying lol.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Aww yes the pets!! <333 oh my gosh they might be my fav part of the game! Minnow is a great name for her, she's such a cutie 9_9
I'm glad you like it so far! that's a relief hahaha xD
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Yeah I can't wait to find the other two~

Hey. When I looked into this game and decided to buy it, I knew there was an incredibly low chance that I wouldn't enjoy a game involving fishing, cute pets, and adorable characters. ;)
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

(I hope it's okay to double post! I thought I could edit my last post, but then people would likely not see it so~)

I got my second pet last night and I'm looking forward to seeing what ability it has! And I managed to save up for a Lure Rod so now I'm using a lure. I'm not really sure what the difference between a lure and just ordinary bait is? Like...its reach is further. Is that the main difference though? Do the lures break eventually? And do they affect what kinds of fish I can catch?
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

Lures and flies are good because they aren't used up like bait is. There are some fish that can only be caught by using flies.
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Okay thank you!! I figured that might be the case, but I wasn't sure if it'd break after a certain number of uses.
Guess I won't be wasting all my points on bait any more.

Oh also - does the legendary bait just work better than the ordinary bait?
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

Legendary Bait is just a different type of bait than normal Bait. Some fish like both, some like one or the other.
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Thank you!! Sorry I'm sure if I were more patient a lot of my questions would be answered in-game or just through experience but you and your guide have been very helpful~
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Aw yaaay second pet is such a cutie too. The third pet is my favourite, but I won't spoil them in case you haven't gotten them yet :'D

Also, this is just random, but you know Jango who hangs out by the pond? He really reminds me of the type of character that would be in HM. He could have easily fit into the AWL cast. Most of the characters have a unique river king feel, but something about him feels familiar.
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Ahhh I haven't gotten the third pet yet but I look forward to meeting it~~

Oh you're so right about Jango!! He's kind of like a cross between Gustafa, Griffin, and Daryl?? But less crazy. At least it seems that way so far.
imnotabanana
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Terra575 wrote:Mystic Valley is the only River King game I've played, but I really believe it's vastly underrated. The characters are super charming and have cool designs, the music is great, and the graphics are really cute. I also think the difficulty level is good–not too easy that it gets boring, but still quite relaxed.

I didn't quite finish the game when I first played it, but I want to start a new file and get back into it. I'm curious if any other Ushians gave this game a shot, because I don't see it being referenced anywhere.

If anyone is interested in playing it, I think it'd be fun to do a playthrough together. AKA, we eat start the game at the same time. Because otherwise I'll have no one to talk to about the game hahaha
so if you're interested in playing, or just open to chat about the game in general, let me know!
I also tried playing this game a few years back because the forum had some topics about this and I enjoyed this game but it takes some time getting the right fish though since you need to get a LOT of fish as requirements to finish the game. I also really love the character designs and the simple gameplay. This is just slow and some what relaxing game to play when you have free time. :lala: