How important are livestock in this game?

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
Pokiehl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I always keep my animal numbers to the absolute minimum, just having enough to gather basic ingredients for quests/gifts, etc.
Can I safely ignore animals this time around?

Can I get by through the game having only one copy of each animal or do I need multiple in order to unlock different stuff?
irulethegalaxy
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

Pokiehl wrote:I always keep my animal numbers to the absolute minimum, just having enough to gather basic ingredients for quests/gifts, etc.
Can I safely ignore animals this time around?

Can I get by through the game having only one copy of each animal or do I need multiple in order to unlock different stuff?
I haven't gone through the whole game, but...

At a bare minimum, you will NEED a cow. In fact, you will briefly need 2.

If you want to unlock any other outfits, you'll need to have the fiber-bearing critters for a bit; how long will depend on whether you want outfits that require + quality stuff. Dunno if any other outfits unlock through cotton or flax alone.

(ETA: I'd strongly recommend keeping a chicken at least early on; boiled eggs are one of the first recipes, so you can use that to up your cooking skill and eat the product for stamina. But then, it's sort of a tradition for me in HM games to live off of eggs, so maybe that's just me LOL)
You might want to keep at least one critter in the bird family, one in the sheep family, one bunny, and your cow for the festivals.

If you played SOS and burned out on critter care, I'll say it is streamlined a bit in this game. It's faster to do overall, and there's no need to keep more than one of each animal (other than the cow--which you only need to keep a day. Though having two cows will make some of the other stuff faster to unlock). While it still takes a chunk out of your day, there are less critters overall and no need to keep multiples, so it's pretty bearable.
Last edited by irulethegalaxy on Feb 23, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ophelia11
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

this time having just one of every animal is enough. they can apparently produce up to 20 products and there is a treat that will increase the percentage of + products. so one animal can produce both normal and + products at the same time
Pokiehl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

irulethegalaxy wrote: At a bare minimum, you will NEED a cow. In fact, you will briefly need 2.
It's good to know that it's faster to care for animals in this version, but would you care to elaborate why you need 2 cows?
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Pokiehl wrote:It's good to know that it's faster to care for animals in this version, but would you care to elaborate why you need 2 cows?
It is a requirement to clear the very first story mission.

http://fogu.com/sos2/activities/index.html
irulethegalaxy
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

Pokiehl wrote:
irulethegalaxy wrote: At a bare minimum, you will NEED a cow. In fact, you will briefly need 2.
It's good to know that it's faster to care for animals in this version, but would you care to elaborate why you need 2 cows?
Spoiler:
One of the Farm Advice quests from your father requires having 2 cows to unlock it.
But you can straight out buy the cow and then sell it the next day. You MIGHT even be able to buy the cow and then *immediately* sell it; haven't checked it. You will need to temporarily have barn space for it, however.
Pokiehl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

irulethegalaxy wrote:
Pokiehl wrote:
Spoiler:
One of the Farm Advice quests from your father requires having 2 cows to unlock it.
But you can straight out buy the cow and then sell it the next day. You MIGHT even be able to buy the cow and then *immediately* sell it; haven't checked it. You will need to temporarily have barn space for it, however.
Thanks, any other quest that requires you to have multiple animals?
Lake
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

So glad to hear this - I much prefer farming to actual animal care.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Pokiehl wrote:
irulethegalaxy wrote:
Pokiehl wrote:
Spoiler:
Thanks, any other quest that requires you to have multiple animals?
Not that I've seen? I'm just following the guides atm.
Celestrian
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Lake wrote:So glad to hear this - I much prefer farming to actual animal care.
I am definitely with you on that. I feel like there's more variety with crops.

Still, good to know this ahead of time.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Ophelia11 wrote:this time having just one of every animal is enough. they can apparently produce up to 20 products and there is a treat that will increase the percentage of + products. so one animal can produce both normal and + products at the same time
This is wonderful news! I got sick of needing at least two of every animal.
cinnamon_yuki
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Very glad to heard about this improvement. XD I prefer crops over live stocks even though they have the cutest sprites in game.
irulethegalaxy
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

Pokiehl wrote: Thanks, any other quest that requires you to have multiple animals?

Don't think so. At least none that require it explicitly. Some requests will be easier to fill with an extra critter, but upping the volume of products your animals produce is much faster in this game than it is in SOS so it really isn't necessary.

Early on in the game you do want to have 20 milk stockpiled; so if you really want to progress through the quests fast hanging onto that second cow for a week or so might be worth the hassle. In my Japanese playthrough I do actually have two of the basic cows because I HAD to own a bubble cow, which doesn't unlock until you've done a few things. I'll probably end up doing the same thing on my English copies.
Nurylon
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Hnnn by 'one cow' does that mean one of each milk type cow (jersey, cow, buffalo) or just one milk bearer in general?
I love having animals, and will probably still have a couple of duplicate sheep or something... but I always felt a little silly having three types of milk, since any milk could be used in the recipes and it was easy to just justify making only the highest selling cheese i.e. zebu cheese. I'd rather just have a buffalo and a jersey cow than also having a normal cow, but is the normal milk needed vs the 'advanced' milks?

(The same question goes for chickens/quails, too, I guess.)
irulethegalaxy
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

AFAIK, there's no specific use for the other egg/milk producers (other than specific varieties of cheese or mayo, which is probably one of the pretty replaceable ingredients); the fiber producers you'll probably need for various outfits. If you don't care about the outfits, you can probably skimp on those as well.

some of the various eggs/milks are probably decent gifts or ingredients for gifts. But if you really, REALLY don't want to keep certain animals, you could probably get away with it for the cows and fowl.

(I personally get vaguely annoyed by the utterly redundant brown alpaca....)