How do I get rid of the old crops for the next season? Fish?

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
moonfaerie
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Hey. I've tried the sickle, hoe, hammer and even the axe. The sickle just makes little lightning marks but won't destroy it and I end up losing all my hearts trying. I have to start on the sweet potatoes for Brad's link quest so I need as much crop space I can get. Also the fish I shipped didn't count to the link quest. Does it have to be certain fish? Thanks. :bunny:
Jeunesse
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

If you edit your farm you can just pick up the plot you want to be cleared then put it away and place it back down again-- which should clear it all for you, only downside is that you'll have to till the soil again.
Murasaki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Sickle should work. Hold down A - got rid of grass. Regular regrowing/vines are tougher. I gave up and put the plot in my pocket.

I bought 50 fish and it worked to unlock. Caralia(sp)'s store.
BlueTrillium1
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Yeah, sickle will get rid of crops but at least for me (un-upgraded sickle) it used nearly my entire stamina bar to get rid of dead crops. I ended up doing the edit farm thing and putting it in inventory then taking it out again and hoeing it. Fortunately that was not a plot that had a tree on it or something else I didn't want to lose. >_>

You don't need much space for sweet potatoes. You only need 20 and with 9+ per harvest, I only planted two plots of sweet potatoes and had enough for Brad's request after the very first harvest in Fall. Took less than a week. (Hint though - vines like sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and watermelon - do NOT pick them immediately when the first crop shows up. Continue watering and they will increase the number of crop. When it does not let you water anymore - it will appear like 9 crops on the vine - THEN pick it for max harvest!)

For the fishing link - are you talking about shipping 50 fish to Westown? Anything should count. I had saved up the scallops and horned turbans etc that I keep getting in TONS from rewards for Lulukoko chore quests and cleared that in one day. Made a good 40k selling them all, too. xD
irulethegalaxy
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

The sickle stamina use is just UNREAL in this game. Even upgraded several times, it's pretty intense.

Easier way is to just area edit and re-hoe, assuming you've upgraded your hoe a few times.

FWIW, when you get the animal bell, it uses stupid amounts of stamina for what it does. Dumbest fainting ever. Missed a festival because of it too. Derp.
moonfaerie
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Thanks everyone. I tried the sickle before the season ended and it cut it down easily. Apparently it's harder to cut down in the next season when it's dead. The fish finally started counting but I had already shipped a bunch of fish before it did so it was a pain. Thanks for the tip on picking the crops later on, BlueTrillium1. I was wondering why I was only getting one tomato. :)
LiterallyRyan
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I agree with the others who suggested editing. Just use your "" and take the areas you need cleared, "put away" (Y) and it will say "All crops growing here will be lost. Are you sure you want to do this?", confirm and that's that. Of course you will have to re-hoe the plot but that's better than re-hoeing after sickling the crops. Tearing crops down in this game is ridiculously rough on your stamina.
Feather Qwill
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

LiterallyRyan wrote:I agree with the others who suggested editing. Just use your "" and take the areas you need cleared, "put away" (Y) and it will say "All crops growing here will be lost. Are you sure you want to do this?", confirm and that's that. Of course you will have to re-hoe the plot but that's better than re-hoeing after sickling the crops. Tearing crops down in this game is ridiculously rough on your stamina.

If you sickle the crops, you don't have to hoe the plot again. One way or the other, you're still going to have to use stamina. It uses less stamina to clear with the sickle than to till a plot, unless you've upgraded your hoe.
LiterallyRyan
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Feather Qwill wrote:
If you sickle the crops, you don't have to hoe the plot again. One way or the other, you're still going to have to use stamina. It uses less stamina to clear with the sickle than to till a plot, unless you've upgraded your hoe.
Oh yea you're right, you don't need to re-hoe again if you use the sickle. I was not aware using a sickle was easier on stamina than hoeing. But with the amount of sickle strokes it takes to knock down a crop feels like it may be at least equal stamina loss to using a hoe (does each crop take the same amount of sickle strokes, do we know? Tomatoes took me 15 whacks to clear the plot, whereas using a hoe is obviously 5). Of course that's speculation, but I'll try it out after I get fresh crops to shred to death.
Feather Qwill
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

LiterallyRyan wrote:
Feather Qwill wrote:
Oh yea you're right, you don't need to re-hoe again if you use the sickle. I was not aware using a sickle was easier on stamina than hoeing. But with the amount of sickle strokes it takes to knock down a crop feels like it may be at least equal stamina loss to using a hoe (does each crop take the same amount of sickle strokes, do we know? Tomatoes took me 15 whacks to clear the plot, whereas using a hoe is obviously 5). Of course that's speculation, but I'll try it out after I get fresh crops to shred to death.
Okay, that's weird. I have an basic, un-upgraded sickle, and it only takes me 3 strokes for every crop except fodder, which takes 4. I did tomatoes just a little while ago. I do it by holding the A button, not pressing repeatedly, could that be the difference?
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Feather Qwill wrote:
LiterallyRyan wrote:
Feather Qwill wrote:
Okay, that's weird. I have an basic, un-upgraded sickle, and it only takes me 3 strokes for every crop except fodder, which takes 4. I did tomatoes just a little while ago. I do it by holding the A button, not pressing repeatedly, could that be the difference?
It takes me 3 holding down or multi press with an upgraded sickle. I'm not sure how many times it was going to take before or how 15 stacks up or anything, but definitely more than 3.
Feather Qwill
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

ChaosAzerothCat wrote:
Feather Qwill wrote:
LiterallyRyan wrote:
Feather Qwill wrote:
It takes me 3 holding down or multi press with an upgraded sickle. I'm not sure how many times it was going to take before or how 15 stacks up or anything, but definitely more than 3.
I just tested, and it actually takes me 4 swipes, so I guess I miscounted before. Question: how is your sickle upgraded? Only Efficiency effects the time (number of swipes) it takes, so how many levels is that upgraded?
BlueTrillium1
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Sounds like the difference is trying to use the sickle on live plants vs dead ones. Apparently dead ones take VASTLY more swipes (and therefore more stamina).

In my game (again, un-upgraded sickle) clearing out some live fodder/grass took about 4-5 swipes.

Trying to sickle some dead tomatoes on Fall 1... I gave up after about 10 swipes and they STILL weren't gone (but most of my hearts were, lol).

From the sounds of this thread, if I had instead tried to cut down my tomatoes on the night of Summer 31 (while they were still alive), it would've probably only taken about 4 swipes. Why the heck dead crops are harder to cut than live ones I have no idea, but that's what it sounds like here.
Feather Qwill
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

BlueTrillium1 wrote:Sounds like the difference is trying to use the sickle on live plants vs dead ones. Apparently dead ones take VASTLY more swipes (and therefore more stamina).

In my game (again, un-upgraded sickle) clearing out some live fodder/grass took about 4-5 swipes.

Trying to sickle some dead tomatoes on Fall 1... I gave up after about 10 swipes and they STILL weren't gone (but most of my hearts were, lol).

From the sounds of this thread, if I had instead tried to cut down my tomatoes on the night of Summer 31 (while they were still alive), it would've probably only taken about 4 swipes. Why the heck dead crops are harder to cut than live ones I have no idea, but that's what it sounds like here.
That sounds right, I've always cleared my crops at the end of the season instead of the start, to save stamina and time for the Great Planting on the first, so I've never tried a dead plant.

So the moral of the story seems to be that sickles are better for living crops, and storing the plot + re-hoeing is better for dead ones. Unless one of your tools if upgraded significantly and the other isn't, I suppose.
LiterallyRyan
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I'm using the first sickle you get, no upgrades. I always hold the button down for everything just like you would with watering, I dunno maybe my thumb lifted or something. I'm going to wait until this batch gets to size and try again and see if I can record it with my webcam if it's still funky.