Gifts without guides

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
Peridot
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Just curious, but anyone else try to figure out everyone's likes and dislikes without using a guide? I always feel guilty when I give something to someone they don't like, but that just inspires me more to find that one item they do like!! Finding that loved item it always so satisfying~

I know eventually I'll hit some sort of roadblock and/or get impatient and just look it all up, but it's so reminiscent of the days when I was younger and I'd write pages and pages full of notebooks of villager's faves and un-faves. :lala:
Emurii
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I had been trying to do that but I found that (A) things kept getting spoiled for me, and (B) it's caused me to fall off with aggressively friending people, because I don't really know what they like. So, I just pulled the trigger and compiled an easy gift list. :\ It's still fun to find out their favorite colors and what they don't like, though!
Murasaki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

If you are a beta tester, then go for the trial and error thing. When a game's been out for over a year and picked through and translated and run thru those watev powersave things to extract info and published, it's a waste of real time.

Maybe if you lived isolated without internet and only had your 3DS, then you'd have to play that way. Or just can play 24/7. Go for it, make your mistakes and have fun experimenting. I'd rather play the "perfect" game - HM games takes months out of my gaming life regardless, don't want to play this for years.

Since you're on fogu, your comment is like wut.
Emurii wrote: (A) things kept getting spoiled for me
You're on a game guide site, you know. If you don't want to be spoiled, stop reading forums! lmao
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Things could've gotten spoiled for Emurii other ways, though.

I honestly don't think I've ever played a Bokumono game without a guide. My first game was HMDS back in 2006, and I remember reading the booklet inside and being confused about the marriage system, so I googled it and found fogu, which of course had the gifts up as well, so I kind of fell down the rabbit hole lol.
Emurii
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Murasaki wrote:If you are a beta tester, then go for the trial and error thing. When a game's been out for over a year and picked through and translated and run thru those watev powersave things to extract info and published, it's a waste of real time.

Maybe if you lived isolated without internet and only had your 3DS, then you'd have to play that way. Or just can play 24/7. Go for it, make your mistakes and have fun experimenting. I'd rather play the "perfect" game - HM games takes months out of my gaming life regardless, don't want to play this for years.

Emurii wrote: (A) things kept getting spoiled for me
You're on a game guide site, you know. If you don't want to be spoiled, stop reading forums! lmao
People are allowed to have different playstyles -- there's no need for you to disparage hers. Just because information is available doesn't make it fun to play with it.

I didn't say I didn't want to be spoiled, nor did I complain about having been spoiled. I stated the fact that it was happening. Obviously, I can choose to avoid things that I don't want to see -- e.g., I have never stepped foot in the confessions topic. I was speaking about my experience with the play style at issue.
Peridot
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Murasaki wrote:If you are a beta tester, then go for the trial and error thing. When a game's been out for over a year and picked through and translated and run thru those watev powersave things to extract info and published, it's a waste of real time.

Oh it's not like that, I don't mind being spoiled at all! It's just another way to go about the game, you know? Besides there are lots of hints and stuff the villagers give you, like saying they like spicy foods or hate fish, it's really not all just pure trial and error! It's just a bit of extra fun to poke around and see what I can discover for myself. I get the game has been out for awhile but I don't see why that's any reason I can't discover things on my own. Like I said I'll eventually cave in, but I don't see any harm with first trying things out by myself.

It was also a bit of a topic to delve into the past before any of us knew what fogu was, but I should've made myself more clear there.

I think you got a bit aggressive because you misunderstood what I was going for, and I apologize for that!
Murasaki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Wasn't being aggressive or telling you not to play that way, just my opinion.

If that's fun for you, go right ahead and play that way. Nothing wrong with it. Just know that whatever you discover would've been found already.

Most of us would be totally lost without fogu or other info and I don't like making detrimental errors or saving before doing anything and repeating. I've been coming to fogu since like FoMT or earlier. That's like 15 years. It's been here for a long time.
Emurii
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I think it was just a miscommunication - we've all loved fogu for a long time (my account is 12 years old now, although I was an HMOtaku regular for several years before I joined fogu). No hard feelings, sorry if I was also a little short. :heart:

Anyway yeah, I personally find playing without the guides more fulfilling and immersive. Also, though, I like guides. ._.; So I have the perfect guide, but I barely crack it open... it's nice how the characters give you information on their likes and dislikes. They also have a lot of related likes, so you can infer from one thing that they might like something else.
irulethegalaxy
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

I haven't used a guide for most of the gifting I've done (admittedly very little; just through festivals and the like I've had all the towns fully friended by the time I was ready to do S-rank excluding a couple of the later-comers in Lulukoko). TBH, there are enough festivals and events that gifting isn't really necessary, unless you want to really raise friendship FAST.

The love events still require a guide though. If anything, they are WORSE than they have ever been, since so many of them have prerequisite scenes you have to see with other characters. Even if you're stalking you're likely to not get the scene, because you haven't seen this or that other scene with a completely unrelated character. It's kind of maddening.
Peridot
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Emurii wrote:Anyway yeah, I personally find playing without the guides more fulfilling and immersive. Also, though, I like guides. ._.; So I have the perfect guide, but I barely crack it open... it's nice how the characters give you information on their likes and dislikes. They also have a lot of related likes, so you can infer from one thing that they might like something else.
I feel the same way!! ;; Guides are so fun to use (that's why I'm on fogu in the first place haha), but there's always those moments when you're playing a game and get stuck, so you look it up and then later you're thinking "oh man I could have gotten that on my own!!" I know gifting is widely different from a puzzle in other games, since it's not meant to be a puzzle in the first place, but I feel like there's still all that satisfaction when you manage to discover something on your own!

I've been trying to make it a goal to use guides a lot less in games in general, but I'm such an impatient person I always give in. :lol:
irulethegalaxy wrote:I haven't used a guide for most of the gifting I've done (admittedly very little; just through festivals and the like I've had all the towns fully friended by the time I was ready to do S-rank excluding a couple of the later-comers in Lulukoko). TBH, there are enough festivals and events that gifting isn't really necessary, unless you want to really raise friendship FAST.

The love events still require a guide though. If anything, they are WORSE than they have ever been, since so many of them have prerequisite scenes you have to see with other characters. Even if you're stalking you're likely to not get the scene, because you haven't seen this or that other scene with a completely unrelated character. It's kind of maddening.
I've been trying to avoid excessive gifting for that exact reason. It feels like just walking around talking to everyone makes affection go up at a steady pace which I don't mind. But every time I get grow new crops my hands are just itchin' to go around and hand everyone it just to see their reactions!! I haven't even dipped my toes into the massive ocean that is trying to discover liked items for dishes, that'd take forever! And as Murasaki said, I definitely don't have time to play 24/7, or the want to, so after I get everyone's reactions to crops down I'll definitely be ending my goose chase there.

As for events, I'm surprised how some people even found them out!! The requirements are so wacky and specific. I just came to this game after playing Rune Factory 4 again and in that one it seems you get all the time in the world to activate events. Villagers will just stand in one spot forever until you go where they want you to go. So no, I'll kindly decline the part of me who wants to ignore guides to ever try to trigger some of the events without one. Each time I manage to see one without a guide I feel like the stars have aligned exactly for this miracle moment...
Starrynight28
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

The only game I played pure trial and error was AWL/AnWL.

When I got a handheld system and started with FoMT, I found Fogu and life has never been the same since. I guess my account is...11 years old now? Mostly I just lurk for the info without posting.

As a grad school student, I don't have time to sink into the game to trial and error everything. I want to play it right the first time to make my time count.

But everyone is free to play however they like and however makes them happy. This game is all about making the choices you want in life, anyway.