An Underrated Game

A fishing RPG that's older than Harvest Moon. Current games include River King 1 (GB/3DS VC), River King 2 (GBC/3DS VC), River King Advanced (GBA), A Wonderful Journey (Ps2), and Mystic Valley (DS)
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

imnotabanana: True, the game takes some patience! It's great for playing over a long period of time, I've found. The first time I played it, I was on a long road trip, and catching fish was a great way to pass the time. :bunny:
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Yeah it's definitely a game to unwind to, which is exactly what I've needed lately~

I love how my sister is in an eternal slumber and instead of rushing to find a cure, I'm just making my guy fish for hours and collect bugs and pick flowers. Over and over again.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

HA that's a good point, the MC is taking his sweet time xD I mean, it's a pretty calm village, so she isn't exactly missing much haha. But you think more people would be willing to help out, given the circumstances...
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Yeah I couldn't believe it when I approached Ren for help and he was just like 'Well... I'm looking for this trading card...'
Some more URGENCY, guys??

But no, urgency is not what this game is about. <33
imnotabanana
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

I also love the companions (that aid you with fishing), and how they grow as you give them all the fish they need xD
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yes, the companions are probably my favorite part of the game! It'd be cool if harvest moon games incorporated a similar system, kind of like the harvest sprites who help you in FoMT. It'd be cute if you could find a sprite and raise them on your farm, feeding them crops.
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Yeah the companions are just the cutest omg. I wish I could choose to revert them back to their intermediate stages whenever I wanted because while I really love how they look ~fully evolved~ I really miss when they were little blobs bouncing after me. ;__;
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hahha I know what you mean! Thankfully though their finals stages are all great designs. It'd be cool if you could toggle though, since it was nice to have the lil blobs haha
imnotabanana

Post  Posted:

Terra575 wrote:Yes, the companions are probably my favorite part of the game! It'd be cool if harvest moon games incorporated a similar system, kind of like the harvest sprites who help you in FoMT. It'd be cute if you could find a sprite and raise them on your farm, feeding them crops.
True! I also wanted this. After they removed the Harvest Sprites in the new games, it was double work. Seeing these companions go along with you are the cutest things in the game.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

imnotabanana wrote:
Terra575 wrote:Yes, the companions are probably my favorite part of the game! It'd be cool if harvest moon games incorporated a similar system, kind of like the harvest sprites who help you in FoMT. It'd be cute if you could find a sprite and raise them on your farm, feeding them crops.
True! I also wanted this. After they removed the Harvest Sprites in the new games, it was double work. Seeing these companions go along with you are the cutest things in the game.
I think it's strange that they've removed helpful harvest sprites, weren't they popular with fans? It was a nice help for those who stuck with the game long enough to get them.
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Hmmm yeah maybe since they've streamlined the farming system quite a bit, Harvest Sprites became kind of redundant? I actually never even used them that much in BTN/FoMT but I liked having the option! They were cute. I love how Stardew now has the Juminos filling that Harvest Sprite role, although I haven't played it much since the update so I haven't experienced it.

I still haven't gotten my third companion in River King, but I'm close~~
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Soapylion wrote:Hmmm yeah maybe since they've streamlined the farming system quite a bit, Harvest Sprites became kind of redundant? I actually never even used them that much in BTN/FoMT but I liked having the option! They were cute. I love how Stardew now has the Juminos filling that Harvest Sprite role, although I haven't played it much since the update so I haven't experienced it.

I still haven't gotten my third companion in River King, but I'm close~~
AHH SAME I love the Juminos, I got the game for christmas so I've only known it with the new updates. The Juminos are so adorable, definitely have a harvest sprite feel.

Have you managed to get the third companion yet? :'D
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I just got my third companion today!! I called it Goby and force fed it loads of fish (goby are a favourite!!) and it's at the first stage now and...omg...I think it has the potential to be my favourite so far. At the moment it just says it's a "...crow?" which is amazing.

How is your file going? I feel like I've been super slow but it's a super chill game so ykno. B)
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

YESS I'm so glad you like him! He's is my fav by far 9_9 I love them all but something about him is just so cool.

My new file is still in the beginning, I've only been playing in small intervals. It's making me tempted to just go back to my old file where I have all of the pets, but we shall see *v*
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how he grows and finding out what his flight power is?? I'll catch lots of goby for him.

Yeah it's definitely a good game to play in small intervals! I love the design of the Nekomata character btw, even though she made my monster pal DISAPPEAR. I still don't understand how giving her a fish and a cloth and some beans made her so happy but okay okay.