Best Introduction to HM?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Anna_Lynn
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Hmm... depends on the friend's interests I guess. I know many people irl who will never play a HM/SOS game because they just aren't interested at all, which is fine since not everyone loves farming games. But since it sounds like your friend really wants to get into the series for the first time, here's my reccomendations:

If they own a Wii, then maybe Magical Melody or Animal Parade. Magical Melody is more simple, though it may be a bit too boring. Everything in this game is really easy though, from raising friendship to earning money from farming. I've never played Animal Parade, but I've heard that it's a fan favorite to the series, so it must be good. :)
If they own a Wii U, then the virtual console has HM64, HM SNES, and both HM GBA mineral town games. None of them cost more than $9.99 here in NA, so their cheap and easy to just boot up your system, and simply play right away. No need to fear the "save juice" or whatever running out on your GBA cartridge this way. I totally reccomend the FOMT games, as they were my first introduction to the HM series. The farming isn't too easy, while also not being too hard at the same time. Many characters develops over time as you raise their friendship, and I was even learning new things from their lives even in year 3+. Heart events and festivals are fantastic in a simple way as well. And although it's not a big detail, you are given somewhere around 14-16 spaces for naming things, rather than the standard 6-space/character limit for naming your kid/animals/farm, etc.
If they own a DS, then probably Grand Bazaar or Tale of Two Towns. GB was simpler, but more boring once you reach the second or third year. TOTT is more complicated, but at least there's more to do and explore. That game is also really slow though.
Even better, if they own a 3DS, then Trio of Towns (unless you live outside of NA right now). If that's not an option, then I'd go with Story of Seasons next. If that's not an option either, then maybe a RF game. I went into the RF series for the first time with RF4, fully expecting it to be a farming simulator, and was not disappointed in the least. It had everything a HM game had and more, which is extremely nice for people like me, who get tired of constantly farming 24/7. Some HM games can get boring after a long time, but the quirky cast of characters is enough to keep some people in tears from laughing. Hell, the one employee I had talked to while I purchased RF4 said that she showed her friend the game, and it took them a month before they put it down, because it was just that good.

I probably did not help narrow down your list in the slightest, but those were my personal favorites on all the systems I own. :lol:
theboysareback
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Blue Rose wrote:ToT/AP, in my opinion. Not sure if they have a wii, but imo it was the pinnacle of the Wada-era (pretty sure it Wada was around). Unfortunately it didn't do well in sales, but it was a great game.
Tiptoze wrote:I'd say Animal Parade is a good pick. It's cute with a nice cast, good visuals (the sunsets especially!), relaxing music, not too diffucult but still enough to make you work for stuff, and time DOESN'T PASS AT 90 MPH. :shock:
finally someone on my side!!!
Nightlight
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

It depends on what the person is looking for (mainly if they want something more simple or more complex,) what is available to them, and if they're ok with playing older games. Generally speaking, though, I think M/FoMT would make a good starting point. I was introduced to the series with HM64 but, while I love it to bits and it was a good introduction for me, I believe the fast days (though I personally prefer faster days,) and how dated it is could scare off new players. M/FoMT I think would give a good idea of what HM is about at its core and be good for learning the basics. It also doesn't have too fast of days (to risk potentially stressing out the new player,) or too slow of days (to risk potentially boring the new player to death.)

Or, you know, Trio because it's awesome :lol:.
Tiptoze
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

theboysareback wrote:finally someone on my side!!!
"Animal Parade is the best Harvest Moon Game" club member here, heck, I'm probably the founder.

I just wish I played it more often. But sadly, THERE'S NO GOOD PLACE TO SIT IN MY LIVING ROOM AND PLAY WII. *INSERT SNAILS SCREAMING*

But my seating predicament aside, Animal Parade is great. The only real issues I have with it that I can think of is that the camera angles can sometimes be a pain and there can sometimes be a little bit of lag. Otherwise, it has a lot of features and charms that I wish would come back in all these recent HM games.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Anna_Lynn wrote:Hmm... depends on the friend's interests I guess. I know many people irl who will never play a HM/SOS game because they just aren't interested at all, which is fine since not everyone loves farming games. But since it sounds like your friend really wants to get into the series for the first time, here's my reccomendations:

If they own a Wii, then maybe Magical Melody or Animal Parade. Magical Melody is more simple, though it may be a bit too boring. Everything in this game is really easy though, from raising friendship to earning money from farming. I've never played Animal Parade, but I've heard that it's a fan favorite to the series, so it must be good. :)
If they own a Wii U, then the virtual console has HM64, HM SNES, and both HM GBA mineral town games. None of them cost more than $9.99 here in NA, so their cheap and easy to just boot up your system, and simply play right away. No need to fear the "save juice" or whatever running out on your GBA cartridge this way. I totally reccomend the FOMT games, as they were my first introduction to the HM series. The farming isn't too easy, while also not being too hard at the same time. Many characters develops over time as you raise their friendship, and I was even learning new things from their lives even in year 3+. Heart events and festivals are fantastic in a simple way as well. And although it's not a big detail, you are given somewhere around 14-16 spaces for naming things, rather than the standard 6-space/character limit for naming your kid/animals/farm, etc.
If they own a DS, then probably Grand Bazaar or Tale of Two Towns. GB was simpler, but more boring once you reach the second or third year. TOTT is more complicated, but at least there's more to do and explore. That game is also really slow though.
Even better, if they own a 3DS, then Trio of Towns (unless you live outside of NA right now). If that's not an option, then I'd go with Story of Seasons next. If that's not an option either, then maybe a RF game. I went into the RF series for the first time with RF4, fully expecting it to be a farming simulator, and was not disappointed in the least. It had everything a HM game had and more, which is extremely nice for people like me, who get tired of constantly farming 24/7. Some HM games can get boring after a long time, but the quirky cast of characters is enough to keep some people in tears from laughing. Hell, the one employee I had talked to while I purchased RF4 said that she showed her friend the game, and it took them a month before they put it down, because it was just that good.

I probably did not help narrow down your list in the slightest, but those were my personal favorites on all the systems I own. :lol:
Thank you for your thorough response!

I wish I could play Animal Parade, it's a shame it only came out on one console :/
JustABeautifulGuy
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I actually introduced my friend to HM series by FoMT and now he's an HM/SOS addict so :P
rachellion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

JustABeautifulGuy wrote:I actually introduced my friend to HM series by FoMT and now he's an HM/SOS addict so :P
Yea I'd say M/FoMT is probably the best starting point if you have access to it.

In terms of more recent entries... I also agree with AP and MM, maybe even ANB.
theboysareback
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Tiptoze wrote: "Animal Parade is the best Harvest Moon Game" club member here, heck, I'm probably the founder.

I just wish I played it more often. But sadly, THERE'S NO GOOD PLACE TO SIT IN MY LIVING ROOM AND PLAY WII. *INSERT SNAILS SCREAMING*

But my seating predicament aside, Animal Parade is great. The only real issues I have with it that I can think of is that the camera angles can sometimes be a pain and there can sometimes be a little bit of lag. Otherwise, it has a lot of features and charms that I wish would come back in all these recent HM games.
I completely agree with you! I find it hard to play too due to it being in the family area, most of the time people use the tv to, well, watch tv.
Tiptoze
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Yeah, and « Harvest Goddess » forbid I have a TV in my room. 'Cause if I do I'll "never leave my room," or at least that's what my mom thinks.
Last edited by Tiptoze on Jul 03, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
theboysareback
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I don't ever leave my room anyway, what's a tv going to change? I'm moving out soon anyway. Off to alaska where I can play as much hm as I want.
Tiptoze
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Ikr? Depending on how much money I save over the summer, I might buy one myself. Oh, nice! Alaska's beautiful but I absolutely hate the cold. I hope your move goes smoothly!
theboysareback
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Thank you. It's not that cold, it's less humid there so it doesn't feel quite as bad. My mom lives there so free rent.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

rachellion wrote:
JustABeautifulGuy wrote:I actually introduced my friend to HM series by FoMT and now he's an HM/SOS addict so :P
Yea I'd say M/FoMT is probably the best starting point if you have access to it.

In terms of more recent entries... I also agree with AP and MM, maybe even ANB.
MM would be an interesting intro to the series! It has a good balance of old and new features, and sooo many characters.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It seems to me like the kind of game that would make people new to the series assume all the games are that slow and kiddy.

Just picking stuff up makes your character get tired, animations are slow and overacted, the villagers are more bland and one note than those in the first game and they even behave like those in SoM (as in, they warp around and don't move much on their own), and oh goddess, the voice acting.

As much as I enjoy it, I wouldn't really recommend it as an introduction to the series.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You make some good points, it's kind of odd compared to the rest of the series. The voice acting alone might be dangerous to subject a newbie to HA