Best Introduction to HM?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
theboysareback
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Terra575 wrote:
theboysareback wrote:Wii MM was... my first harvest moon game. I'd NEVER replay but it managed to get me hooked even though in my opinion now it sucked.
But in playing the wii version, it sounds like you didn't get to experience the full potential of the game. (if you had a lot of bugs, that is)
Probably not, but I'd never play it again. The only fun part was mining, and I had to wait until winter to mine. The good thing was it forced me to play as a boy, which helped me realize some things about my gender and sexiality I guess?
Celestrian
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Gotta agree on Animal Parade. In fact, someone I know is starting with that.

I do agree that DS/DS Cute is not a very good choice to suggest to start out with.

I'd suggest AWL/AnWL but that's just my nostalgia talking so don't take it too seriously. lol
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Celestrian wrote:Gotta agree on Animal Parade. In fact, someone I know is starting with that.

I do agree that DS/DS Cute is not a very good choice to suggest to start out with.

I'd suggest AWL/AnWL but that's just my nostalgia talking so don't take it too seriously. lol
I feel like AWL/AnWL are alright games, but so far from the other games in game play and stuff probably more intermediate play.

Then again I started with HM64 so what do I know? Shoot I was 14 when it came out too, I'm old. :lol:
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

HM64 managed to get my kid self and preteen brother completely hooked in a single day, so I do believe it is a great introduction.

It's quite hard and expensive to find and play without a WiiU though, so that's why I don't suggest it.
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Getaris wrote:HM64 managed to get my kid self and preteen brother completely hooked in a single day, so I do believe it is a great introduction.

It's quite hard and expensive to find and play without a WiiU though, so that's why I don't suggest it.
My dad had to trade a rare game that was selling for roughly $200-$250 at the time to get it not long after it came out.

Around here took a while to really get HM, and we still have trouble sometimes. Yay for virtual copies I guess.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I would really love to play HM64 someday! But sadly I don't even have the console, let alone the game itself.
Celestrian
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

ChaosAzerothCat wrote:
Celestrian wrote:Gotta agree on Animal Parade. In fact, someone I know is starting with that.

I feel like AWL/AnWL are alright games, but so far from the other games in game play and stuff probably more intermediate play.

Then again I started with HM64 so what do I know? Shoot I was 14 when it came out too, I'm old. :lol:
Well as I said I would suggest that out of pure nostalgia because it was my first game in the series.
white66
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Terra575 wrote:I would really love to play HM64 someday! But sadly I don't even have the console, let alone the game itself.
Isn't it up on the wii store now?
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Celestrian wrote:
ChaosAzerothCat wrote:

Well as I said I would suggest that out of pure nostalgia because it was my first game in the series.
Oh yeah no fair.

Just my 2 cents on that, I know you added that it was due to your nostalgia. :3

I enjoyed it but man was I ANNOYED af that you could die. Never finished, lost interest after that. But it's a fun game. :3 Heck, after I kept hoping a non-ending one would have hybrid crops and stuff. Never happened. x3

Honestly one of my favorite things about DS/DS cute was the fact that it's still kinda simple while having crop levels and stuff, the base play is nice. I wish I understood why people are against DS/Cute. The initial run is the one with all the glitches in DS which apparently is simple to tell which run it's from if you can see it. Did Cute have issues? I'm lost.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh well, to be fair, being their first touch screen title, the touch controls were pretty clunky and a bit in-the-way, animals take forever to befriend, it mostly reused assets from a GBA game, the animal mini games are pretty much required and very damaging to the system, marriage is locked behind 60 sprites (which a a HUGE deal for some) and the endless objectives and long term goals night seem overwhelming for a few.
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Getaris wrote:Oh well, to be fair, being their first touch screen title, the touch controls were pretty clunky and a bit in-the-way, animals take forever to befriend, it mostly reused assets from a GBA game, the animal mini games are pretty much required and very damaging to the system, marriage is locked behind 60 sprites (which a a HUGE deal for some) and the endless objectives and long term goals night seem overwhelming for a few.
Hmm never had the screen issue but I can see that being an issue for people fair.

I found a lot through normal gameplay so I guess my experience was a Goldilocks senario.

I'm honestly confused by people suggesting jumping in at SoS or Trio. SoS was so frustrating I almost didn't give Trio a chance, and I feel like Trio is a bit more overwhelming personally.

I guess it depends what you want too in terms of length of gameplay and how much the goals need to be outlined directly I guess.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Definitely Animal Parade. My mom once got interested in trying out HM after watching me play it. Note that she'd never played a video game before and she's pretty bad at english. I decided to give her AP to try since it has long days that let her do things slowly, and is fairly simple with clearly laid objectives. Also, her eyesight isn't the best, so a handheld would've been out of the question. Anyway, after a bit of explaining and translating some difficult words, she managed to get the hang of the game somewhat. She only played up to summer or fall of year 1 or so, but managed to get like three bells and was pretty happy with what she played of it.

Anyway, that's my anecdote. Personally, the first HM I played was the first one on the SNES, and the first one I owned myself was MM. (I did later buy the SNES one for myself on the Wii, too!) But I think MM's a good game to start with. The way the game's set up encourages you to try out everything while giving you free hands to do what you want in any order you want. The characters' lack of depth and lack of random events is a big minus, but I can deal with it when the base game's so good. I don't mind the character models or the slowness, either.

Also, I'd never give SoS to somebody as their first HM, considering it made me not want to play any future SoS games and to get Skytree Village instead. In fact, I'd recommend Skytree Village over SoS!