Story Rich Games

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
theboysareback
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Sanne it's a matter of me not having the system. Waiting for it to come to steam or something like that.
Sanne
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

theboysareback wrote:Sanne it's a matter of me not having the system. Waiting for it to come to steam or something like that.
That's too bad, sorry! I think a PC release would be neat, and I think they might ~eventually~ release it so that both games are out.

Thanks for bringing up the s;g series, it's been a while since I read them.
Celestrian
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Did somebody say Ace Attorney!? My FAVORITE game series ever!!!

Xenoblade Chronicles had a great story and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn were my favorite Fire Emblem story wise. I also enjoyed Dragon Quest games for the story especially number 9.

But seriously. ACE. ATTORNEY.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I just finished the Neir Automata demo and I loved it. I've got to pick it up sometime. My friend is going to let me borrow her copy of Radiant Historia so I can decide if I want it for the 3DS.
Celestrian wrote:Did somebody say Ace Attorney!? My FAVORITE game series ever!!!

Xenoblade Chronicles had a great story and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn were my favorite Fire Emblem story wise. I also enjoyed Dragon Quest games for the story especially number 9.

But seriously. ACE. ATTORNEY.
Unfortunately, the difficulty of the Dragon Quest series didn't sit well with me (I've played 4-7 and 9). And I have mentioned I've played all of the Ace Attorney games, except for Miles Edgeworth 2 because it was never localized.
Celestrian
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Unfortunately lots and lots of grinding is a part of Dragon Quest. At least more than I'd like.

I apologize, though. All I saw was Ace Attorney and I had a fan girl reaction. Lol
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Celestrian wrote:I apologize, though. All I saw was Ace Attorney and I had a fan girl reaction. Lol
It's all right; I know it's a popular series.
Lexy Jenrex
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Would recommending VNs be cheating? Because if not...

Danganronpa 1+2 and The House in Fata Morgana are both pretty « Snuggly Bunny » sweet.
Planescape: Torment is absolutely phenomenal.

For shorter games I really liked
Valiant Hearts
To The Moon
Oneshot
Undertale
Transistor

I'll second Nier Automata, Steins;Gate, and Radiant Historia.
venus14!
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

By the way did you like the Demo for Odin Sphere? :?: :P :)
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Lexy Jenrex wrote:Would recommending VNs be cheating? Because if not...

Danganronpa 1+2 and The House in Fata Morgana are both pretty « Snuggly Bunny » sweet.
Planescape: Torment is absolutely phenomenal.

For shorter games I really liked
Valiant Hearts
To The Moon
Oneshot
Undertale
Transistor

I'll second Nier Automata, Steins;Gate, and Radiant Historia.
I have Danganronpa, Valient Hearts, To the Moon, and Undertale. Definitely getting Nier once I have the money for it. I'll have to look into the other games you mentioned.
venus14! wrote:By the way did you like the Demo for Odin Sphere? :?: :P :)
It was okay. I haven't fully decided if I'm going to get it or not yet.
Tocsin
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I'm really surprised that the original Deus Ex and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind haven't been mentioned yet. They're older but definitely not obscure PC RPGs, from 2000 and 2002 respectively. The world design of both games are still very worthy of admiration and have a lot to teach, and NPC interaction is very reactive to the player's actions. All of Deus Ex's NPCs are unique and voiced, and think and act very differently around the player character. Morrowind has some generic townies, but all the unique characters are fleshed out, and your reputation and alliances affect townie behaviour too. If you enjoyed BioWare's RPGs you really should do yourself a favour and pick these games up. Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines is another PC RPG I recommend for its narrative, but it's rough around the edges due to the publisher, Activision, forcing the game to go gold before it was finished and shuttering the developer immediately after, so if you decide to pick it up you should also install the Unofficial Patch. Geneforge is another PC RPG I recommend, all five games in the series are available on Steam and GOG in one pack. I definitely recommend playing the first and second games. The third is, underwhelming. You can pick up the fourth and fifth ones are great, but I think you'll have a better appreciation of their increasingly grave stories if you play the first and second ones first.

Morrowind also has an Unofficial Patch that you should also install. The game has a very large modding community; to any newcomers keen on modding the game before they play, I recommend Better Bodies, Better Heads, Better Clothes, abot's Silt Striders, Darknut's Armor Textrures, and Darknut's Creature Textures (additional pack for the Blood Moon expansion), Morrowind Graphics Extender XE, phal's Improved Water Shader for MGE, and the Morrowind Acoustic Overhaul. There are other graphical enhancement mods, but I think if you're new to the game, it's best to play once with the original environment textures before replacing the crumbling, moss-grown stone of Vivec City with shiny white marble.

Plugging in Psychonauts (2005) because that game was darling. It was originally released on Xbox, and has PS2, PC, PS3, and PS4 ports; if you can't play the original Xbox version I recommend getting the PC port, as the PS2 port was very buggy and the PS3 and PS4 ports are really just emulations of that messy PS2 port. I don't want to spoil anything more. Two other sixth-generation games I recommend are ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, which were re-released with higher res textures for the PS3. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (PS2 & Gamecube) is another gem, but you'll have to play one of the original consoles or use an emulator, there are no proper ports or re-releases.

As for more contemporary games:
  • Waking Mars is a puzzle platformer where you play as an astrobiologist uncovering the red planet's greener history. It was originally released on iOS as a tablet game, and then got a remastered PC port, which I highly recommend.
  • Spec Ops: The Line has one of the best narratives I've seen in a video game. It starts off like a clichéd military shooter, but then it just... I can't say any more or else I'll spoil it. I'm very impressed by the developers; honesty and sincerity like that is all too rare in any work these days. I played the PC version without any problems, it was also ported to PS3, Xbox 360, and OSX, Linux. Don't know how the ports held up.
  • Undertale. If you haven't heard of it yet, go play it! PC game that can be played on very low-end rigs. Don't read anything else about it, don't look at anything else, just play it!
  • The Talos Principle, a beautiful first-person puzzle game with a big mystery to unravel. Or not; you can just play for the puzzles which are lots of fun.
If you're open to shorter, more compact point-and-click adventure games and visual novels on the PC:
  • Another World
  • Grim Fandango
  • The Fabulous Screech (free Flash game)
  • The Day (free Flash game)
  • The Sea Will Claim Everything
  • Hatoful Boyfriend (yes, the pigeon dating simulator)
  • Ever 17: The Out of Infinity
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

@Tocsin - Wow, that's a lot of games to recommend. I'll try to respond to the ones I know about:

Morrowind - I think it would be hard to play this one given that it's pretty old and my computer is from 2016; not sure how PC specs truly work either though, so maybe it will? If it's more story focused than open world compared to Oblivion and Skyrim, I'll take a look at it.

Deus Ex - I've heard of it, but never looked into it.

Psychonauts - I've played and beaten the game, loved it so much that I helped fund Psychonauts 2. Can't wait for that game!

ICO and Shadow - I'll take a look, but they weren't really appealing to me.

Baulder's Gate Dark Alliance - Not a fan of emulators, so I'll have to skip this one.

Waking Mars - Never heard of it, so I'll check it out.

Spec Ops: The Line - Same thing, never heard of it, so I'll look up gameplay.

Undertale - I have it and it's installed, but the hype was ruined by a friend and my sister; they both loved the game so much and talked about it nonstop it just ruined the experience. Granted I'm sure I'll play it eventually, but not right now.

And to summarize the next games, I have Grim Fandango and Hatoful Boyfriend, but never heard of the others.
Liliana93
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Morrowind - I think it would be hard to play this one given that it's pretty old and my computer is from 2016; not sure how PC specs truly work either though, so maybe it will? If it's more story focused than open world compared to Oblivion and Skyrim, I'll take a look at it.
@ronin

Morrowind excels with an interesting world, environment, story outcomes and choices, etc but is dated in using a dice roll based combat system (think 5-20 misses for each successful strike), disorganized journal system, and lack of fast travel options. These three negatives were enough to stop me from continuing in the vanilla game, I switched over to morroblivion (90% of all the things that made the original game unplayable were fixed).

If you want to try the game out in vanilla I encourage it cause these things might not bother you but if they do, you have to own the game to play morrowblivion and skywind so if you still want to try the game out without the negatives, just make sure to get the goty version.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Well then. I'll probably get Morroblivion then if I choose to get the vanilla GotY version at some point.
quigley
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I second (maybe third?) the Zero Escape series, ESPECIALLY the first one. That story blew my mind.

I woulda recommended Night in the Woods, but you've already played it (which is good!).

Overall I think visual novels have some of the best potential for amazing stories...I mean, that's kinda the point.

If you enjoyed the Final Fantasy games you've played, I'd recommend 6. It's my favorite, and the story's not quite as cliche as it may seem at first. I love almost all of the 14 playable characters, each with a decent backstory. It's even more impressive when you remember that this game is 23 years old.

AND THE SOUNDTRACK...holy [expletive], the soundtrack is overall probably the best I've ever heard. I have a bunch of the songs on my iPod.

If you like Zelda games, I'd recommend Majora's Mask. Its story is very different than the rest of the series, and WILL have you feeling things..many of .the characters have deep personal stories that you can't help but get wrapped in.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

quigley wrote:I second (maybe third?) the Zero Escape series, ESPECIALLY the first one. That story blew my mind.

I woulda recommended Night in the Woods, but you've already played it (which is good!).

Overall I think visual novels have some of the best potential for amazing stories...I mean, that's kinda the point.

If you enjoyed the Final Fantasy games you've played, I'd recommend 6. It's my favorite, and the story's not quite as cliche as it may seem at first. I love almost all of the 14 playable characters, each with a decent backstory. It's even more impressive when you remember that this game is 23 years old.

AND THE SOUNDTRACK...holy [expletive], the soundtrack is overall probably the best I've ever heard. I have a bunch of the songs on my iPod.

If you like Zelda games, I'd recommend Majora's Mask. Its story is very different than the rest of the series, and WILL have you feeling things..many of .the characters have deep personal stories that you can't help but get wrapped in.
I love Night in the Woods. I'm waiting for the developers to patch the game so I can go for the platinum!

I like some visual novels, but they have to have a pull to them for me to get involved.

FF6 is actually my favorite out of the entire games, but I never beat it; I was at the end, but I deleted my save data accidentally when transferring my files and it's a complicated story.

Majora's Mask is my second favorite Zelda entry (behind Twilight Princess). I think the only Zelda games I haven't fully played are Minish Cap and Skyward Sword. There may be more, but I'm uncertain.

Thanks for your recommendations!