How did you discover Harvest Moon?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Sailor Harvest Moon
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

For me, I remember I was like 12 or 13 and I was at toysrus and I specifically asked for a game similar to Animal Crossing. The guy at store pulled out a copy of Friends of Mineral Town and we bought that along with Save the Homeland too. XD At first I was totally clueless when playing FoMT and I didn't like StH, though I personally enjoyed More Friends of Mineral Town when it came out cause I could play as a girl. :heart:
Ayriel123
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

When I got my 3ds in 2012/2013 I was looking for a game similar to Animal Crossing. I posted to a gaming forum and a lot of people recommended A New Beginning and I've been hooked ever since.
FaerieFarm
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

An issue of Nintendo Power that had a mini preview/guide to A Wonderful Life. I wanted it so bad and was wondering where this genre had been all my life (being the type of kid who would waste time playing around in Lon Lon and Romani Ranch in Zelda OoT and MM). I was 11 at the time...geez its been awhile. I vaguely remember not being able to get the game yet (probably wasn't released yet) and asking to get Friends of Mineral Town which tided me over until AWL came out.
Sir Stardust
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Hmm... I'd been playing AC:WW for a while, and I just kinda wanted something with more character interaction and such? So I spent a while looking and came across Magical Melody, and from there my farming career began. :heart:
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

We just had this thread last week.
Bluie wrote:I saw an ad for Friends of Mineral Town in a Toys R Us flyer. At this point in my life, I just played whatever game was hand-me-downed or just watched my brother play. One day, he decided to get rid of all our game consoles while I was at school. For some reason he thought it'd make him better at our religion to just get rid of everything. I was unsterstandibly pissed, some of the games were mine, and he legit took my stuff to a thrift store without my consent.

To cool my anger, he bought me a GBA along with Sword of Mana. I begrudgingly played it, too young to fully get across my emotions of anger and betrayal, and I'm pretty sure my brother knew that I resented him for not only getting rid of my escape, but the fact that my possessions were also in the mix added more fuel to the fire.

He bought me Friend of Mineral Town at Christmas that year for my gift. I finally had another game to play, and I ate it up.

After that I got a paper route (the only job a child could legally have) and started saving and buying my own games, no longer relying on others to get them for me (parents would never buy me one unless it was in a bargain bin - and that's where a lot of shovelware goes). I remember eagerly awaiting More Friends of Mineral Town and paying for it with my own money. I've bought almost every handheld entry since.

P.S. - I don't hate my brother. He regrets that day a lot, and I tease him about it every once in awhile. It's all good.
ThatGirlRena
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I do not really remember, honestly. I was looking for more Gameboy Advance games and came across it one way or another and decided it sounded nice.
Reverbs
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

It was way back in like middle school or so when I was looking up simulation games to play. I toyed with the GBC games because they were the only ones I had access to and eventually I played GBC 3 to completion but I ended up getting the bad ending because I didn't have enough something or another. However, it got me hooked onto the series and FoMT/AP/ANB just further cemented that.
Sanne
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

My grandma let me choose a game for my birthday and I decided to buy AWL since the cover looked cute. I decided to buy DS cute when it came out and I was completely hooked by then.
tots45
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Originally I found Legend of the River King for the Gameboy, I am a huge fan of fishing, and saw that this was a fishing game, and I loved it so much, and was also my first RPG as well.

About a year later I saw Harvest Moon 3 GBC: Boy meets Girl at a Walmart and noticed it had the same Natsume Logo on the front of the box, and the main character looks pretty similar to the one from Legend of the River King, so it got my interest instantly. I looked over the boxart and noticed that it was about farming, and thought how could that be any fun.

So after a couple weeks of not being able to get the game out of my head I went to the store again with my mother, and bought it with some spare birthday money I had. I fell in love with it the second I started playing it, and put tons of hours into the game.

It was also the reason I stumbled on Fogu back in the day, when I was looking for some answers to a couple questions I had about the game.

As a result I have been an avid Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons fan since, always looking forward to new releases in the series.
Last edited by tots45 on Feb 11, 2024 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melody Muse
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

A friend had bought AWL to play at my house on my gamecube. I remember she was trying to marry Nami, but ofc we had no idea how the guide worked, so she tried to make Nami jealous by wooing Muffy. But then Muffy accepted her blue feather. :lol:

Then I forgot all about HM/thought that was a one off game moment until I got the first Rune Factory, as I was looking for RPGs at the time. The rest is history....
venus14!
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I was younger than 10 i went to buy some games with my Mother and the Dude selling the games showed me the games i asked about Harvest Moon : Back to Nature and he told me the game had a lot of Talk and he thought i wouldn't like it and recommended me Tarzan and some other games instead... I got curious about this game with a lot of " Talk " though so i went to another place that sold games another Day and asked the Dude in there about it and he told me about this game with a lot of " Talk " in more detail... And he said the game wasn't all about Talk at all and showed me some Gameplay he told me the Talk was mostly in the beginning...

Well the game did have a lot of Talk in it but it was mostly Optional after the first few Scenes haha... :) And well... I like games with a lot of Talk anyyyway so... :P Although i didn't know English back then haha... :lol:
Spoiler:
My Papa loved playing that game with me so much when i was little... :(
Silercia
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Okay, so I'm actually convinced that the way I found out about HM must have been a dream or something, man. I could swear that I'd seen a commercial for it when I was in about 2nd grade. For HM: AWL, that is. But because I got the game like a year or so after it's release date it makes me even more sure that I imagined a commercial, even though I remember it so vividly! Anyways, I asked my dad to buy me the game and he came home with Animal Crossing instead, haha. I tried it for like 20 minutes and was like no, no I need the farming one!!

Been hooked ever since he returned AC for HM: AWL and I got HMDS for Christmas that year. :P I'm a university student now, makes me feel old even though other people have played HM for longer.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I was in elementary school, and a neighbor was playing AWL on his gamecube. My sister and I drew fanart of Muffy and Celia off the box while watching, and I remember my sister taped the Muffy drawing on the wall.

Then in fourth grade, I got FoMT from Shopko (midwestern general store chain), and feel in love with it, constantly playing after school, haha!
FoolishGhoul
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

FoolishGhoul wrote:My dad took me and my brother to an electronics store and so the two of us were perusing the video games section. I saw the cover of AWL and it looked like it could be fun so I convinced my dad to buy it for me and now here I am. Not super interesting but I would have never guessed it would have unintentionally changed my life so much lol I couldn't really tell you WHY that game looked appealing to me since it wasn't really my style of games I normally played, but I'm glad I did anyways
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ronin19 wrote:By chance. My mom told me I could pick out a game in the store. I saw A Wonderful Life's box art and had to play it. Loved the series ever since.