Octopath Traveler Discussion Thread

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

Who is your main character?

You may select 1 option

View results

Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

ryume wrote:@Rope/Ronin:
Spoiler:
I missed out on any romantic vibes between any of the characters! I wish it were easier to figure out when to trigger travel banter because now I'm highly curious about Cyrus/Primrose lol
Spoiler:
It was during Primrose's 2nd chapter about how Primrose got into and loves dancing. Cyrus mentions that he has two left feet and Primrose offers to give him lessons.
There was also a tavern travel banter where Primrose comments that if she combined Therion and Cyrus she would have a gentleman. I definitely think Primrose and Cyrus can work.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thanks for the answers you two!
Spoiler:
headcanons it is then :lol:
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

ryume wrote:Holy Moly, I'm probably late to this, buuuuut (on jobs):
Spoiler:
OMFG RUNELORD. It took me forever to figure out how the class works, but once I did... 9999 damage from the rune effect with Olberic using a staff with 399 elemental attack, SAY WHAT!? Probably would have been over that easily if I had his limit breaking skill equipped. Even a crappy elemental attack of 155 on the Forbidden Dagger still gave Alfyn a rune damage factor of over 3000. Plus it will count toward breaking the enemy as long as the rune is their weakness. THIS IS SO MUCH FUN! I read that it relies on the elemental factor of the weapon you use - seems to correlate.
Spoiler:
You should use it on a divine skill. Therion is my Runelord mainly and when I use his thief ultimate the magic attacks everyone and it's for max damage. It's truly awesome!
Cyrus is also an amazing sorcerer.
RopeMaidenKirie wrote:Thanks for the answers you two!
Spoiler:
headcanons it is then :lol:
Spoiler:
Headcanons are truly the best.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I beat Therion's story and i'm on chapter 4 of Cyrus'. After that it's Primrose and H'aanit and then all 8 paths will be done.

I think i'm gonna have to do some grinding for the advanced classes and the last path.
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

Ok, question for all you seasoned Octopath players about moving around the world (I just got my 4th party member last night, so I'm not too far along)
Spoiler:
At any point is there a fast travel or teleport system? I can't see it being much fun to travel back to old places by foot :shock:
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Cherubae wrote:Ok, question for all you seasoned Octopath players about moving around the world (I just got my 4th party member last night, so I'm not too far along)
Spoiler:
At any point is there a fast travel or teleport system? I can't see it being much fun to travel back to old places by foot :shock:
The game doesn't tell you this, but on the world map screen, any town you've already visited can be fast traveled to by selecting it. I didn't figure this out until 10 hours into the game! D:
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I've been having a lot of fun playing the demo (I die a lot but I'm still enjoying it), but I'm still not sure I want to spend so much money on the full game. I usually just play Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Pokemon, Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing games so this one is a big change for me. I'm finding so much "stuff" as I roam around in the demo and I have no idea what most things are or what they are used for. Tis a bit overwhelming O.o But....I love the characters, the music, the atmosphere..it's all beautiful to me. Getting the "thank you for playing" message in the demo is not beautiful, tho. I don't like having to stop playing a character just because my three hours are up. I was having fun, dang it! I need an "Octopath Traveler for Dummies" guide :P
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:
Cherubae wrote:Ok, question for all you seasoned Octopath players about moving around the world (I just got my 4th party member last night, so I'm not too far along)
Spoiler:
The game doesn't tell you this, but on the world map screen, any town you've already visited can be fast traveled to by selecting it. I didn't figure this out until 10 hours into the game! D:
Also - don't be afraid to teleport from anywhere, even inside caves. I've used it to run back to town after nearly wiping my party.

@Mothership: There are forum regulars who've finished the game and more still playing so if you want to get the game but are afraid of getting stuck, feel free to ask questions!
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

Oh my gosh, that's why we still need instruction books! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Thanks for the tip!
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Cherubae wrote:Oh my gosh, that's why we still need instruction books! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Thanks for the tip!
LOL :lol: I've always loved that emoji. Anyway, yes, an in-game instruction book would have been nice. I think I only managed to figure it out when I was playing the demo because I was curious to see if clicking on the map icons would give more information, and lo and behold it offered fast travel instead. Lots of these newer games could really use in-depth instructions (I'm looking at you, XC2).

@Mothership: A JRPG like this can definitely be overwhelming for a newcomer to the genre, but don't hesitate to ask, no matter how silly you might think it is! Octopath IMO as a rabid fan of the genre is well-worth the price tag, but I'm sure some used copies will be floating around in the next month or so. Anyway, I remember my first experience was with the first FF on the NES when I was like 8, and it took me a really long time to get the hang of it for sure. Really helped me with my reading skills back then though :lol:
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I finished all 8 paths!
Spoiler:
Overall, it's a fun JRPG with some average-good stories in it. My favourites were Tressa, Olberic, and Alfyn. Least favourite was Ophelia (I just found it overly predictable and cheesy) while I liked the rest just fine.

In regards to the last story... I don't have it in me right now to even think about doing it. I need all 8 characters at level 65+ and I have four a level 50 while the rest are 20. I'm just not really in the mood to grind / cait hunt. I'll probably eventually go back and do it, but for now i'm mildly burnt out. Maybe after August's gravy train of games is over.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Got tired of being told "you can't go there in the demo version" so I'm downloading the full game! It will take at least four hours for that to finish O.o

But, then I'll be able to play the full game....yay! Not sure if I'll use my current save from the demo yet. I've finished H'aaint's first chapter and started on Alfyn's (he just happened to be who I found while wandering around the map). In other runs of the demo I've done the first chapter for Cyrus and Olberic.

I think I'll be doing the "do chapters 2 thru 4 of the first group of four characters, then do chapters 2 thru 4 of the second group of four" method..but that might change after I get going.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for all you nice folks here and I appreciate your kind words and support :)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Do you have your Switch right next to your router? Ours takes foreeeeever to DL games if it's upstairs in the living room, but if we go downstairs to the supply room in the basement, where the router is installed, it downloads in about a quarter of the time, sometimes even faster. For some reason the Switch has really weak wifi abilities...it doesn't keep the signal well.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I have the Switch right beside my computer and the router on a desk in the same room. I just put the Switch even closer to the router to see if that speeds it up. I chose to download it because 1) the physical copy doesn't even have an instruction booklet with it to make it worth the drive to the store and 2) the Gamestop closest to my house doesn't have any copies of the game anyway so I'd have to order it and wait for it to come in.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

If you already had it so close to the router, then it probably won't help to move it even closer. I just know that even having the Switch in a different room than the router seems to slow download time down quite a bit. :/

I buy about equally in hard copy and in digital these days...actually I'd say I get slightly more in digital due to big sale discounts. There's benefits and drawbacks to each. Not having to wait on shipping is certainly one of digital's big pluses. :)