SoS: Friends of Mineral Town GRAPHICS

A Nintendo Switch/PC/Ps4/XBox remake of the 2003 Gameboy Advance games HM: Friends of Mineral Town and HM: More Friends of Mineral Town. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Oct 2019. NA release = Jul 2020. EU release = Jul 2020.

How do you like the graphics/art style/aesthetic of the remake so far?

You may select 1 option

View results

KonekoChan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

i think it would look super bizarre if we had the portraits like the more recent SoS titles with the chibi little graphics in the game. talk about art dissonance lol.

honestly, i'm not a huge fan of the way it looks but i also know that I will play any bokumono game that comes out for endless hours no matter what because the gameplay always draws me in. it's not HIDEOUS to look at or anything, so as long as it's fun that's what i care about.

the new character redesigns will grow on me. part of me wishes they weren't quite SO DRASTIC but i think a lot of people will get used to it the more they see it. they aren't bad designs; they're just different and people are wigging out over that because there's a SPECIFIC WAY all of these characters look in everyone's minds.
Lin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Although I dislike the sprites (especially the male mc what is wrong with his face...), I really like the backgrounds. I think it looks very charming and more importantly, relaxing. I love the shadows on things and the way the trees sway. I can't wait for this town to come alive.
B7N
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

First I have to see Elli, then I'll decide what I really think of character design. (not partial or anything)
Genie9
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

I have a feeling this art style and these graphics were chosen to emphasize the portability of the switch, and the next main entry will emphasize the console power of the system. For that reason, I like these graphics. Heck, I played MM, and that game, imo, had some of the worst graphics for me, especially after AWL.
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I feel like there's also a difference between graphics and style, to an extent. They can be somewhat linked, but I think it might in some ways be a deliberate style choice. I could be wrong though, easily. Just speculation.
Melody Muse
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

ChaosAzerothCat wrote:I feel like there's also a difference between graphics and style, to an extent. They can be somewhat linked, but I think it might in some ways be a deliberate style choice. I could be wrong though, easily. Just speculation.
I've heard the same thing, although using the words aesthetic for style. An example of a game with horrible graphics but great aesthetic would be the first Katamari Damacy game (where as the Reroll version has both good aesthetic and graphics). So I think what you said it quite possible; just the confusion arises in that people use the terms interchangeably in video games.
rachellion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Genie9 wrote:I have a feeling this art style and these graphics were chosen to emphasize the portability of the switch, and the next main entry will emphasize the console power of the system. For that reason, I like these graphics. Heck, I played MM, and that game, imo, had some of the worst graphics for me, especially after AWL.
I'm in this boat - I like the style of the graphics fine enough and I'm psyched to have FoMT on the switch so I can play it *forever*

I liked MM over AWL because the mechanics were much more fun, the chibi style was just kinda meh for me. I understand why other folks feel disappointed tho.

I definitely internally screamed at work when I saw Popuri :lol: Her redesign is so freaking cute!
copernicusmaximus
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

The 3D chibis are meh, but the portrait styles are lovely, which is very important to me. MM was hard for some people to get into, I think, because of a total lack of portraits and only chibi models to look at.
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

copernicusmaximus wrote:The 3D chibis are meh, but the portrait styles are lovely, which is very important to me. MM was hard for some people to get into, I think, because of a total lack of portraits and only chibi models to look at.
For me, I'll admit it was jarring at first but quickly grew on me.
GoldenOwl
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I absolutely hate the graphics. The only decent parts of this trailer were the hot springs and some of the town. Its great you can ride your horse outside your farm but if the town is the only good looking part of the game why would I want to? Your farm looks flat and unpolished. It looks more like an app than a game for the switch. Or even a game for the DS!

I'm ok with redrawing portraits in a digital style instead of pixel art (though pixel art is better by a long shot) they did this just fine in the DS remakes, but here they look soulless and washed out. Redesigns are one thing but replacing a character entirely for no reason is another. Wheres Carter, Kappa, who is this guy and what did he do with Jeff???? Did the alpaca eat them? Is that why its head is so big??

The skinny chibi design is ugly and makes everyone look like a child so right away I don't want to marry any of them and a massive chunk of the gameplay is spoiled. I hope they give the option to disable the portraits and the heads up display like in the original game. It gave it a more immersive feel.

This game makes me want to go play DS Cute.. pretend they still knew how to made good games.. I don't care if it was glitchy, it didn't ruin the experience and actually added to its charm for me. I'd have a copy for playing it as intended and a second one just to have all of the cheat codes. a full farm of gold barns, stables, mushroom sheds, and a golden vacation house was the best! And to be able to put them wherever you wanted?? YES PLEASE! The daytime changes were breathtaking for a game on the DS. Not many games made me stop running around to just watch the environment do its thing.. good times, good times..
Mecha-Lollipop

Post  Posted:

The more I see trailers and gameplay the more I like the overall graphics. The screen shots definitely didn't do everything justice. Especially autumn and winter. They look so pretty! I'm so excited to see everyone else that it's hard to want to wait for more famitsu articles or the release. I was on the fence about waiting due to all the other games I'm getting this year but I may pick this up in Japanese unless they surprise us and say this one is coming out in America this year too.
Ida
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I love the graphics! It keeps the old style charm with the addition of 3D and some added cuteness.

Walking my way downtown, walking fast, dunna dunna dun :bunny:
Spoiler:
Chicken love! :-|
Spoiler:
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Just a little reminder to everyone to put large images behind a spoiler cut, both to keep the page from distorting and to save on bandwidth/loading times/etc. :) I've also been told it makes it harder for people using mobile devices to browse the site (though I've never browsed FOGU on a tablet or phone, so I don't know first hand how that is.)
Ida
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I was just asking people on the discord to confirm this for me as I am on mobile and was not sure if it was just an issue I was seeing. I had to upload these to imgur and apparently they save as large. I did not have time to fix this before you posted but it should be corrected now.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I wonder if it's a mobile issue. I use imgur too, but for me (I'm on a laptop) the files always save with the same pixel dimensions they have when I upload them. I've noticed that people who have said they're posting from mobile always seem to have enormous images. I have no idea at all why that would be so, though.