Rune Factory 5: Not Due Before April 2020

Covering Innocent Life (PsP/Ps2), Rune Factory 1 (DS), Rune Factory 2 (DS), Rune Factory 3 (DS/Switch), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii), Rune Factory Tides of Destiny (Wii/Ps3), Rune Factory 4 (3DS/Switch/Steam), and Rune Factory 5 (Switch/Steam).
Daisuke Tsubasa
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I didn't want to make a thread for this but I didn't want to double post either so...

https://gematsu.com/2019/05/rune-factor ... april-2020

I figured that this was going to be the case. I'm 300% down with them taking their time. RF4 is a tough act to follow and they know this all the more when they're in the middle of preparing for RF4 SP's release. Of course, this only makes the argument that they announced 5 too early all the more sound but at the same time they wanted to let everyone know the series wasn't dead and that work was underway for the next big thing.

Preorders of RF4 SP's Limited Edition selling out is testament that hype for the series has been reinvigorated in Japan.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Very weird article, with those seemingly completely unrelated bits about a Bokumono game and another bit unrelated to either, about 'sexualized elements'. Neither appeared to be connected to Rune Factory so I found that article a bit confusing. It's also alarming to read that they're saying they're considering a new Bokumono game for console. They promised us that game long ago, and even affirmed that it was already in progress a month or so ago when they were clearing up the rumours that the next 'Story of Seasons' game is the crossover, since some people were convinced the Doraemon game was the next SoS game, and it's not. (source)

But anyway, I never expected RF5 in early 2020, so this isn't a disappointment to me, just a re-stating of what I already thought to be the case. I haven't had any specific time frame in mind, though I suppose this does remind me that them saying 2020 means as late as April 2021 since they can always mean (or say they meant) the fiscal year, not the calendar year. Plus with that date only being stated for the Japanese version, I really have no idea when we can expect to play it in North America.

I don't really think it was announced too soon, though. All they did was say 'RF5 is being made', just to tell us that it isn't abandoned after all. I'm okay with that :)
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I'm a bit confused why a numbered entry tbh. Haven't all the numbered been for a new dragon? Feels weird to me because they already hit all the dragons mentioned in RF1.

Still hyped, but not sure what their story plan is here. It really makes me antsy for information about it tbh.

I'm also not sure if I can like a RF gameplay more than RF4. I'm a little worried what they'll change and if I'll enjoy it as much. If it's basically exactly the same gameplay though, it'd have to be a great story since there's so much I can still do in RF4.

I foresee me obtaining this game, I'm just worried I'm overhyping this game and won't end up enjoying it as much because of this.
KuroNeko77
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Yeah, the 3 different Limited Editions (Regular, 3D Crystal Set and Memorial Box 3D Crystal Set) were sold out almost instantly, as in, within hours of their announcement for the later 2.

I never expected RF5 for the 1st half of 2020 either; more around Summer 2020 at best, to match with RF4's release. But anyway, I'd rather they take their time for this one. They aren't as limited by the hardware as they used to be, so they can bring some good things to the game. Not being tied to the 4 dragons story-wise can also help, as the story can address different plot points
Spoiler:
With Ethelberd being dead and all, I'm curious to see what is happening with Sechs. Or the stuff with Raguna going missing and Totally-not-Mist looking for him
ChaosAzerothCat wrote:I'm a bit confused why a numbered entry tbh. Haven't all the numbered been for a new dragon? Feels weird to me because they already hit all the dragons mentioned in RF1.

Still hyped, but not sure what their story plan is here. It really makes me antsy for information about it tbh.

I'm also not sure if I can like a RF gameplay more than RF4. I'm a little worried what they'll change and if I'll enjoy it as much. If it's basically exactly the same gameplay though, it'd have to be a great story since there's so much I can still do in RF4.

I foresee me obtaining this game, I'm just worried I'm overhyping this game and won't end up enjoying it as much because of this.
A lot of people are thinking about a Light and/or Dark dragon(s), but while I agree that Light/Dark could be a main theme for RF5 (the logo gives some Dusk/Dawn vibes), I'm not sure we'll be getting new dragons.

I don't remember if it's also the case in the English version of RF4, but in the Japanese one Kirika / Mistress Turpin was talking about a dream where the 4 dragons were fighting against a "big dark mass" or something, though the end of her dream was complete nonsense in classic Mist fashion, so I'm not sure we should take it too seriously, even if her dreams tend to have some truth in them.

And even if we don't get a new dragon, there's still the stuff with the ancient golems as well.
Daisuke Tsubasa
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I never expected RF5 for the 1st half of 2020 either; more around Summer 2020 at best, to match with RF4's release. But anyway, I'd rather they take their time for this one. They aren't as limited by the hardware as they used to be, so they can bring some good things to the game. Not being tied to the 4 dragons story-wise can also help, as the story can address different plot points
Summer 2020 seems to be the best bet. RF4 was revealed at the end of June in 2011. So maybe a reveal of a key visual or protag designs for next month's stream is possible but I won't hold my breath on that. I am glad that Rune Factory Channel streams are regular. Helps ease the wait towards RF5 - which I assume won't get regular info until late 2019 or early 2020 as Marvelous is most definitely focusing on SoS Mineral Town.
Spoiler:
With Ethelberd being dead and all, I'm curious to see what is happening with Sechs. Or the stuff with Raguna going missing and Totally-not-Mist looking for him
Spoiler:
Was it confirmed somewhere that Raguna went missing again after RFF? I haven't played RF4 in ages so my memory is a bit hazy.

Re: Sechs, I wonder if RF5 will be set there. It would certainly fit the theme of a Dark Dragon being sealed in there and maybe explain the empire's war-like history. Ending for RF4's 2nd arc states that the Sechs is expected to have a huge political revolution following Ethelberd's death so let's see how that goes.

Maybe one of the bachelors/bachelorettes will be a Sechs royal family member casted out after the new government takes over. I'd like to see Lynette return again as a villager / middle aged lady.
And even if we don't get a new dragon, there's still the stuff with the ancient golems as well.
There are a lot of things in RF that can still be built or further expanded on, like the race of Phoenixes which Raven comes from who are said to be the closest to the Native Dragons. Or the other "vampires" like Iris Blanche / Noir.

I'd like to hear more of the Eastern nation too, which I believe is another candidate for RF5's setting besides the Sechs.
KuroNeko77
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Daisuke Tsubasa wrote:
Spoiler:
Was it confirmed somewhere that Raguna went missing again after RFF? I haven't played RF4 in ages so my memory is a bit hazy.

Re: Sechs, I wonder if RF5 will be set there. It would certainly fit the theme of a Dark Dragon being sealed in there and maybe explain the empire's war-like history. Ending for RF4's 2nd arc states that the Sechs is expected to have a huge political revolution following Ethelberd's death so let's see how that goes.

Maybe one of the bachelors/bachelorettes will be a Sechs royal family member casted out after the new government takes over. I'd like to see Lynette return again as a villager / middle aged lady.
Well...
Spoiler:
If Mistress Turpin is really Mist, I can't see her "friend that smells like Lest/Frey (most likely Earthmate) and who is missing" be anyone else but Raguna. There was also Kasumi in RF3 (the only tourist that had specific reactions to some items, such as turnips), that behaved just like her, and could feel Micah's earthmates powers as well.
Daisuke Tsubasa wrote: Summer 2020 seems to be the best bet. RF4 was revealed at the end of June in 2011. So maybe a reveal of a key visual or protag designs for next month's stream is possible but I won't hold my breath on that. I am glad that Rune Factory Channel streams are regular. Helps ease the wait towards RF5 - which I assume won't get regular info until late 2019 or early 2020 as Marvelous is most definitely focusing on SoS Mineral Town.
Yeah, It's nice to see them being communicative about the game this time around, and even embracing the trend of streamings compared to the way they communicated back in 2011-2012. They've also been posting regularly on Twitter, with various tidbits about the game.

Just like you I don't expect that much to be revealed this month. Maybe a teaser about the overall setting, protagonists and 2 key characters (like we had Vishnal and Margaret back during RF4's reveal).
If the release is that far off, I don't think they'd want to show too much about the game right now (granted they'll try to avoid the RF4 situation).
freckles
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Considering RF4 will be available on the switch... I hope they reboot the older RF games (like Frontier!) to renew interest, though I understand if that might be a wasted effort since they are old now
Anon
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

freckles<3 wrote:Considering RF4 will be available on the switch... I hope they reboot the older RF games (like Frontier!) to renew interest, though I understand if that might be a wasted effort since they are old now
There will be a remake of Friends of Mineral Town, so who knows... Maybe in a few years there could be a remake of a previous RF entry! Though I don't know what are the odds for this to happen.

Honestly, I'd love to see a remake of RF2 or Frontier.