Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town for Switch

A Nintendo Switch/PC/Ps4/XBox remake of the 2003 Gameboy Advance games HM: Friends of Mineral Town and HM: More Friends of Mineral Town. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Oct 2019. NA release = Jul 2020. EU release = Jul 2020.

Are you excited?

You may select 1 option

View results

Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

They really don't use it a lot.

It's really the same plot twist in the original versions of both games, even though the origin story was different, and in the GBA games there was no plot twist to begin with. The only times the origin story gets brought up again are...

In the original BTN,
Spoiler:
You childhood friend is whoever you decide to marry.
In the original BTN for girls,
Spoiler:
Your character was rescued and taken to safety by Zack and your future husband. That's how you end up in Mineral Town, washed ashore after your cruise ship sinks.
Googaboga
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I know how it was used in those games, but I don't know why the conversation is going this way. There's not really a need to insist to me on how it isn't a big deal. I never acted as though it was anything major. I said I know the changes might be quite small and I was interested anyway. The female MC has a different backstory from before so at least something is going to be different and I think that's kind of neat.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

That's what I'm trying to say: the back story was meaningless to begin with. There's already very few narrative differences between the boy and girl versions of FoMT.

Anyway, this is a forum, we... Discuss things. Your topic was interesting enough for me to talk about. But if you wish to stop, I will.

As a side note, this is the third time they change the girls origin story. Huh. All them alternate universes.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Speaking of things that change...you could never before experience both male and female heart events, right? In the original FoMT you only had the girl's heart events, and in MFoMT, you only had the guys'? Since both will be in this game, do you think they might do what they do in more recent games and let us see the first two (assuming that there are four, that is) for both genders, and then lock the rest to dating?

I guess there's no way to guess at this point. We don't even know if they'll add a 'going out' phase like more recent games have, or if it'll stay like the original and jump straight to marriage once you see all the events. Wondering about what they may have changed is probably my main interest, right now.
bara_no_uta
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Does anyone know if there's been any news regarding whether the originals' special candidates will still be available? They didn't include them in the bachelor and bachelorette lineups, so that makes me wonder. On the other hand, Kappa's more humanoid redesign makes even less sense if he's not intended to be a marriage candidate, so perhaps they were only kept out of the lineups to avoid spoiling the surprise for new players.

If they do have them as candidates, I hope they'll, you know, live with you and you'll be able to have or adopt a kid with them like with the regular candidates.
Kikki wrote:Speaking of things that change...you could never before experience both male and female heart events, right? In the original FoMT you only had the girl's heart events, and in MFoMT, you only had the guys'? Since both will be in this game, do you think they might do what they do in more recent games and let us see the first two (assuming that there are four, that is) for both genders, and then lock the rest to dating?

I guess there's no way to guess at this point. We don't even know if they'll add a 'going out' phase like more recent games have, or if it'll stay like the original and jump straight to marriage once you see all the events. Wondering about what they may have changed is probably my main interest, right now.
I'm pretty sure MFoMT had the black heart events for the girls? I seem to remember catching Popuri's chicken the first time I went past Poultry Farm, but maybe I'm wrong. I have no idea of course whether they'll do that, but I think there's some basis where it makes sense for them to!
Last edited by bara_no_uta on Jul 27, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

^
^
I doubt they’d add anything. But it’d be nice.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

We haven't heard, yet. We've seen the revamped images of HG and Kappa, at least very briefly, but no word on if they are still candidates or not. I know with Trio, Inari was revealed at the very last, so I was expecting that even if they do have the secret candidates in, they wouldn't show them until almost everything else was already shown. Though it's such an old game...surely they're not considered secret any more. Maybe 'special' candidate might be a better way to put it, at this point. Some people have theorized that if the special candidates are still in, they might have evened the field out and kept only one male candidate to match the sole female candidate. Though honestly, the three candidates the girls get are such a joke to me, they barely seem to equal the single special candidate the boys got. :/ (not sure about Won, but I can't take Kappa or Gourmet seriously.)
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It'd be nice to get some friendship evens with your rivals that don't involve their own romantic life, that's for sure.

About the special marriage candidates, I think at least Kampa and the HG are somewhat safe to assume they're available.
Googaboga
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I won't be too shocked if the decide not to keep the more out there marriage options, but here's hoping.

@Getaris
All I was saying is the conversation seemingly came to be about just explaining game aspects to make me aware that backstory is something that doesn't matter much. That isn't a real discussion, especially because it was an already made point. That's why I said what I said so that the conversation could move on past the explanation that it's not gonna matter much. If you weren't trying to come across like that, cool. It's just what it sounded like to me.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Googaboga wrote: @Getaris
All I was saying is the conversation seemingly came to be about just explaining game aspects to make me aware that backstory is something that doesn't matter much. That isn't a real discussion, especially because it was an already made point. That's why I said what I said so that the conversation could move on past the explanation that it's not gonna matter much. If you weren't trying to come across like that, cool. It's just what it sounded like to me.

Oh well, I'm not sure if you intended it to be interpreted like this, but from your first two comments about the subject, you gave me the impression that you thought the back story was relevant to the game itself in the previous versions. Almost like maybe you only played one and assumed the other version had significant changes that tied in with the intro cutscene.

It's ok though we can move on.
Googaboga
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm sorry about that. I've played all the HM games and find any changes between versions to be interesting. I like seeing what ends up being tweaked from game to game. I had no problem with what you said about it not really mattering and only meant that I had a personal interest in the alteration, but I guess that didn't come across. Though that's why I didn't get why it seemed like you wanted to convince me 'cause I thought I was in agreement with you, aha.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Haha yeah, I didn't catch that (the implication of agreement) at all :lol:

I do that sometimes. :shifty: Sorry if it was confusing.

About changes, I suppose that's a guarantee now that this is a completely different localization team, so even if the Japanese script remained unchanged, we will get lots to chew on.
Googaboga
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah, I didn't think about it enough. In my mind it was a given that what you said was right, so I focused on talking about how the change caught my interest because it was at least something that was different, no matter how small. But I should've mentioned directly that I agreed and I only cared because I like to keep track of alterations between versions of the games.

I'm definitely looking forward to when we start seeing more parts of the game so I can see how much of the conversations and stuff are similar and different :)
Nurse Fin
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:Speaking of things that change...you could never before experience both male and female heart events, right? In the original FoMT you only had the girl's heart events, and in MFoMT, you only had the guys'? Since both will be in this game, do you think they might do what they do in more recent games and let us see the first two (assuming that there are four, that is) for both genders, and then lock the rest to dating?

I'm pretty sure one of the magazine scans alluded to a dating phase being in the game. Said something like, "go from friends to lovers to married" which indicates that to me. Also I thought I saw a screenshot of Karen with a flower or something next to her heart color/name, saying a line that implies she is MC's girlfriend.

It's possible I'm wrong, but I doubt it, they've updated and changed enough so far to make me think they're adding a lot of features from the newer games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Nurse Fin wrote: I'm pretty sure one of the magazine scans alluded to a dating phase being in the game. Said something like, "go from friends to lovers to married" which indicates that to me. Also I thought I saw a screenshot of Karen with a flower or something next to her heart color/name, saying a line that implies she is MC's girlfriend.

It's possible I'm wrong, but I doubt it, they've updated and changed enough so far to make me think they're adding a lot of features from the newer games.
That would be great. More fleshed-out character development and interaction is probably my top desire. :) Even if they add no extra heart events, having a dating phase would at least mean there must be a 'let's start dating!' event.