SoS FoMT: Character news and update.

A Nintendo Switch/PC/Ps4/XBox remake of the 2003 Gameboy Advance games HM: Friends of Mineral Town and HM: More Friends of Mineral Town. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Oct 2019. NA release = Jul 2020. EU release = Jul 2020.
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

velvetvalerina wrote:
Xtra wrote:Though Jessica will forever be the one that replaces the Harvest Goddess (because we can't have a mere mortal woo a Goddess into marriage). Granted, it was a lot of work for little payout, but I still liked the idea that you had the option to have a deity as your wife.
Wait what? Was it confirmed somewhere that the special candidates are not a thing in this game? I really hope that's not the case :(
From what I’ve seen, it hasn’t been confirmed either way. I feel like the HG and Kappa at least are both gonna be candidates again, given Kappa’s redesign into something more humanoid. Also I might be misinterpreting it but I think Xtra was just voicing their own personal opinion on marrying the HG and maybe poking fun at Carter’s reaction to it?
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Fingers crossed that Won is still a secret bachelor! :heart:
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I can't get over the feeling that Kappa is a very inferior option compared to HG. He's a frog-duck-turtle thing with weedy hair and a horrible personality (as far as I know), while she's a cute divine being. Of the special candidates, Won would be the only one who would interest me, since he's the only one of them who doesn't look somehow monster-like.
nongo
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:I can't get over the feeling that Kappa is a very inferior option compared to HG. He's a frog-duck-turtle thing with weedy hair and a horrible personality (as far as I know), while she's a cute divine being. Of the special candidates, Won would be the only one who would interest me, since he's the only one of them who doesn't look somehow monster-like.
Trust me, Kappa was worst in the original. He would usually only have 2-3 words with each dialogue.
It seems he might actually have a bit more of a personality in the remake. But I know what you mean, when you compare the two for each gender, the HG is a better special candidate.
Maybe they could include the Harvest King. There is a mountain after all and the only use it has is when there is a moon viewing festival.
JayDucky03
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Harvest King would be interesting. Especially since he's only been in 2 games (as far as I know).
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

aww haha I've always loved the Kappa, it's just a silly option for people who like a challenge! Sad to see negativity towards him. My sister and I have always loved to make memes about him, I'm glad he's still in the game~

In general I'm so so excited for this game. M/FoMT games mean so much to me, my first HM games in elementary school, and to see the remake so lovingly designed is really moving for me. A few of the redesigns I don't love, but I'm so happy with how all the bachelorettes look, I'm honestly FLOORED by how cool Jennifer seems!! And Won, he's cute now! Gourmet is freaky as usual lol gotta love it

I've been holding off on getting a switch, but this is a must have for me :'D
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

He's still in the game, but we don't know if he's still a candidate. We don't know if any of the special candidates are from the original are still eligible for marriage, at this point. If they are, I don't think they're going to leave all of them in, because people would probably complain if there were three male special candidates and only one female one.

Even though I think it's kind of fair, because the three male special candidates are all oddballs and the one female one is really cute. Seems to be a thing. There are often what I consider to be 'joke' options among the male candidates who either look strange or act strange or both, but the special candidates among the girls are always cute. Like Stephanie versus Woofio. A charming, pretty contest host versus a *redacted* dog suit whose real face you never get to see. (Though at least Woofio is actually a nice guy!)

Naturally, some people are always going to like them. I don't know if there's a single thing in the universe where everyone in it has the same or a similar opinion of it. I'm definite just not one of the ones that thinks Kappa is a fun candidate. I want the male special candidates to be as appealing as the female ones. I mean, magical candidates, great! But one side gets a cute goddess and the other gets an unpleasant frog creature? If one side gets a HG, then the other side should also get a great magical option, too, like the handsome merman someone around here is always pining for. (I don't remember who it was who reeeeeeeally wants a merman candidate, but I know there was someone!)

It's just my honest opinion on a recurring thing in Bokumono games that I wish would change. Give us special candidates, but stop making the male ones so peculiar when the female ones never seem to be like that. I'd like to see a special candidate I actually want to go for.

Though who knows. Maybe some people think it's not fair that we get entertainingly odd (?) constant-pun-making *redacted* dog suits and rude mythical frog-duck-turtle creatures on the male side while all they get on the female side are conventionally attractive ladies like HG and Stephanie. Maybe they want Baba Yaga to be a candidate in some game, all gnarled and stooped and occasionally trying to curse you until you give her so many gifts that she decides she doesn't mind having you around. Or a horribly ugly but lonely snake-haired gorgon who you have to craft a special item before you can be around her without getting a petrified status cast on you. Or an extremely unpleasant harpy. Something really out of the ordinary. Female special candidates never seem to be like that and maybe some people wish they were.
Last edited by Kikki on Aug 30, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xtra
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

To clarify, it has not been confirmed either way whether the Goddess and Kappa are potential spouses.

But I assumed that since we get a new spouse for both genders, and the Goddess redesign makes her look like a child, we wouldn't be able to.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:like the handsome merman someone around here is always pining for. (I don't remember who it was who reeeeeeeally wants a merman candidate, but I know there was someone!)
I think that was me lol /smacked I don’t remember either but I remember a conversation about merman butlers.
Crystal Power
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Xtra wrote:To clarify, it has not been confirmed either way whether the Goddess and Kappa are potential spouses.

But I assumed that since we get a new spouse for both genders, and the Goddess redesign makes her look like a child, we wouldn't be able to.
Personally I don't think she looks any younger than Popuri. It's definitely this artstyle though and it makes me miss the art style of AnB and SoS (Just my opinion but I prefer realistic body proportions but I like anime/cartoon styles more than realistic styles. Hope that makes sense lol). Anyway if she was a child in this artsyle use May as a reference to how a child looks in this style. It's kinda funny, like even in 3oT one might say Hinata looks "to young" but when you compare to the actual children like Tatsumi, Schalk, etc you realize it's just the artstyle even if Hinata is obviously younger than the the other bachelors he's not a child.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

To me HG looks a bit older than both Popuri and Mary/Marie, though definitely younger in appearance than Karen and Jennifer. HG looks about the same age as I perceive Ann and Elli to be. (I don't actually know which girls are oldest, but in LOOKS, that's how I rank them, age-wise. Popuri, Mary/Marie, Ann/HG/Elli, Karen, Jennifer.) So I don't see her appearance as any indication that she won't be a candidate.

Not that I think she WILL be one. I have no idea at this point how likely it is that any of the special candidates will remain options in the remake. We still have a little over a month and a half left of reveal time, so there's got to be SOMETHING of significance left to reveal. Normally they save something special for later reveals but I don't know what's going on this time, since we got all the candidates shown so quickly.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I don't mind if the original special candidates aren't available in this game, as I personally feel excited enough by the new characters, which are both quite attractive imo! I'm so excited to learn more about them.

I'm always going to love Kappa since I enjoy silly things like that, and I've had a lot of fun making fanart of him, but to each their own :'D
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

To be fair, IMO the whole purpose of the harder special candidates (so, not Won) was more for bragging rights than anything else, since they all have a lot of work put into them for not as much payout as the typical spouses. HG wouldn’t live with you after marriage and is already super flighty in this game to begin with. She just shows up one day to tell you she’s pregnant then dumps the baby on you. Kappa is basically the same, except since Claire carries the baby you get an awkward cutscene where Doctor and Elli kind of judge you for seemingly having a baby out of wedlock. Gourmet also doesn’t live with you, but at least he says more to you than “you, pregnant” during the pregnancy event, so I guess that’s something.

I can understand the frustration with the male special candidates consistently not being very attractive, but in this game at least, I would consider pretty much all of them to be joke candidates.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Gotta say though, if they glamoured Won and didn't decide to make him marriageable.... it's such a waste lol. Not that he's the perfect candidate or the best husband or anything, but he was a more interesting woo and it's nice to have more options!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah, it's nice that they toned down that Fu Manchu look :) In the screenshot he looks to be doing some sort of thing with apples. Almost looks like he's doing the cup trick, but you can't do the cup trick with apples...