Anybody else miss rival couples?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
surlyboy
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Might be just a me thing, but I always liked rival couples. It added a lot of characterization and depth to the series. Not trying to be *too* negative and I actually quite like the more recent titles (those that I played at least), but lacking rivals always seemed like a missed opportunity in them.
Samansu
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

surlyboy wrote:Might be just a me thing, but I always liked rival couples. It added a lot of characterization and depth to the series. Not trying to be *too* negative and I actually quite like the more recent titles (those that I played at least), but lacking rivals always seemed like a missed opportunity in them.
MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE rival couples! I miss them so much. It makes it a lot more interesting to me, and I don't have to feel bad for everyone else being forever alone. :(
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I miss them a lot. I also miss rival kids, too. What I don't miss is how fast the rival couples could get married in Tree of Tranquility. Animal Parade did a much better job of balancing with that.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Most English speakers seem to, but I have heard that Marvelous is pandering to Japanese fans. Japan doesn't like rivals for some reason.
Meriberry
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

I do. It makes the village feel more real if other people can *also* get married and have kids.
VanillaCookies
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I miss them because they added something else to do on top of the rest of the game. By the time rival marriage events were usually keyed to play I had long done everything else there was to do in any given game, and so it was a nice little extra incentive to keep playing. I wish they would just add a toggle in the options menu to turn them on or off for those people who dislike them. That way everyone is happy.
nightshade2010
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

yeah I missed doing that after the main game is over with .....although in some of them it happened so fast ..... especially in btn when the rival scenes would happen at random and all of a sudden they were married ,,,,,

and yes japan fans throw tantrums over it so its been confirmed by the game designers that the new mineral town doesn't have them ......I agree with the on and off switch in game .....
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Nope, don't miss them at all.
Gothicat
Disabled: By request

Post  Posted:

I do and I don't. I miss when rival couples actually did something; mainly in AP and RF2 where they could also get kids, so there was an incentive to get them married. But the rivals in most games were useless to be honest, they just got married and that was it. I guess it made the town seem a little less obsessed with you, since they could have love interests other than your character, but I personally don't care about that. So rivals like MFoMT I don't miss at all.

Not that it matters, after what they did in the remake, I doubt we'll ever see them in any other game. Unless we get another game like RF2 or a Wonderful life, where time actually passes so having friends for your kid would be important.
Emurii
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yes, I would pay for it to be DLC :/
ThatGirlRena
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:Most English speakers seem to, but I have heard that Marvelous is pandering to Japanese fans. Japan doesn't like rivals for some reason.
Is it really "pandering" if that is your home audience? The game is Japanese in origin - of course they would worry about their local fans first and abroad fans second.

EDIT: I did not realize how old this topic was, it was on page 1...my apologies.