Which HM/SoS game deserves a remake next?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.

Which HM/SoS game deserves a remake next?

You may select 1 option

View results

TrashBanjo
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

white66 wrote: I...what? The milking room is one of the highlights of AWL? Really? We must have had very different experiences with AWL because as far as I know no one even really bothers with the milking room because it actually makes the process take longer.

This may be a little controversial but I don't consider DS to be a remake of AWL at all. They have the same setting and characters but those are superficial qualities as far as I'm concerned. The mechanics and story lines of the two have nothing in common. That's like saying MM is a remake because it features characters from previous game.
AWL had nothing redeemable about it except for it's hybrid crop mechanics, aging characters, influencing your child (which was lackluster to begin with), your child actually growing up to adulthood (which is in the DS games anyway), and the chapters. Which they had to dumb down and reduce for AnWL and SE... Otherwise, no, it really doesn't have much going for it. Clearly you took the Milking Room thing way too literal and are getting overly defensive about me being realistic about just how "great" the AWL/AnWL games were. It lacked in so many areas, it had about the same amount of content, dialogue, and story as STH. AWL/AnWL and the DS games had the same characters with the same personalities in the same settings except the DS games were more fleshed out with more characters, more events, more festivals, more content, features, and mechanics added in. If you stripped everything added to the DS games, you'd basically have a DS version of AWL. It's that simple. So yes, it makes perfect sense to bundle the AWL games with the original DS games. If it really bothers you THAT much, then I'll remove AWL/AnWL entirely, but let's not stoop to that level of pettiness.

That last line about "that's like saying MM is a remake" was quite... uhm, "I...what?", as you put it. What you said and what I said are two completely different things. In no way did that make sense to rebuttal with. :lol: Magical Melody's Flowerbud Village looked nothing like any other games Flowerbud and you could consider that village completely different than any other Flowerbud, as if they aren't the same towns... Most of the cast had changes to their personalities and how they went about speaking, you can hardly say those characters were the same as their origin game counterparts. Hell, some of them had different jobs / roles.
white66
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

^ I'm not going make a full response to this because you aren't listening to what I'm saying (I'm the one who said AWL had a bad and clunky base, I never said it was great, it wasn't, it was a mess. Yes it lacked lots of content, I said that.), all I'm going to say is that the defensive one here is you, and I realize that you're new to the site but this not how we treat each other here.
Gothicat
Disabled: By request

Post  Posted:

Can the AWL/ANWL options be separated from DS/Cute? They are completely different games, they just share the same cast. AWL is focused on raising your child till adulthood, which I adore. DS is just a sequel to mineral town, no child raising there.

A remake of AWL/ANWL I'm all for. The unique child raising system is worth a revisit. There's nothing worth revisiting in DS IMO, so a huge no to that. It's just FoMT with more bugs, and one of the most tedious quests ever. I'd rather lick a frozen lamp post than gather those stupid sprites again. And the husband selection is so terrible....I excuse it in ANWL since the child raising part is the point, but in a regular SoS, no way I'm paying money for that again.

(No offense to those who like DS, I just can't personally stand it. The special bachelorette selection is super awesome, I must say)

Other than AWL, AP is the best one. Just make the character walk faster/reduce the map size, add actual heart events, make hearts rise faster since the stupid wiimote thing will be gone, and you're golden. Graphics still hold up too. Easy money there.

But to backup Kiki here, what I really want is a new game. But...there's still a blank spot on Hakama's site with "working title" on it, so I'm really hoping Hashimoto is still in charge of the new SoS entries.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Gothicat wrote:But to backup Kiki here, what I really want is a new game. But...there's still a blank spot on Hakama's site with "working title" on it, so I'm really hoping Hashimoto is still in charge of the new SoS entries.
Me too, since I feel Hakama would probably do a great job, almost definitely better than if it is handled in-house at Marvelous. I want a new game so bad. I'd love to see what graphic style Hakama would go with in a brand new game (I don't think it'd look much like SoS: FoMT since none of the same people would actually be working on it, afaik.) I'd also like to see if the overall direction changed much. I know Hakama has got to still be hard at work on RF5, so if they ARE handling a new Bokumono entry, it may yet be a fair while before we see anything, but man. It may have 'only' been three years, but it feels like it's been forever, and a remake isn't going to satisfy me. (Though I hope I will at least like it.)
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

See I always thought the character development was a little barer in DS than AWL, so it’s interesting to see other opinions of that. (Truthfully though I haven’t had a kid yet in DS, but I never made it further than Year 2 in AWL either.) The bachelor selection in both games is meh, but Skye is a nice addition to the Cute pool and at least you can go back to the Mineral Town boys if you like (and they actually live with you unlike the bachelorettes in DS). I played a bit of AWL recently and I don’t find it as clunky and slow as everyone else seems to, but it would be a really interesting title to see remade because I don’t know what it would look like. I can imagine that a DS remake would look very similar to the FoMT remake considering how the original games looked so similar, but an AWL remake is harder to imagine. I think I would still prefer a DS remake though like I said before, if only a little.

Though I do think it makes sense to make a new entry in the series before they make another remake. It’s a good chance to draw nostalgia players into the modern SoS series for them, and I’d really like to see what an entirely new title would look like on the Switch.
Gothicat
Disabled: By request

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:I know Hakama has got to still be hard at work on RF5, so if they ARE handling a new Bokumono entry, it may yet be a fair while before we see anything, but man. It may have 'only' been three years, but it feels like it's been forever, and a remake isn't going to satisfy me. (Though I hope I will at least like it.)
Well, I don't know if Hakama studios works this way, but what happens with a lot of games in development is that certain members of the team will finish their work way faster than the others. Typically these are the writers and the concept artists, sometimes the musicians too, while the coders, animators, model creators and QA testers work up until the release. So that those other members of the teams aren't left doing nothing for months, they typically begin to brainstorm and create the next game the team is working on (or DLC for the current one). So assuming they'll release the game this year in Japan, it's likely those members are already working on the unknown game.

In some teams though, especially small ones, everyone has two skill sets (such as a concept artist is also an animator) so in that case everyone keeps working. I don't know what's the case at Hakama, but I'd be really surprised if it was. Usually long-standing teams eventually fall into the rhythm I described above.

If RF5 comes out middle this year like they hoped, we could very well see news on the unknown game next year, likely while we're still waiting for XSEED to bring over RF5.

Back on topic, ended up voting for AP, since I'd really hate to see a DS remake.
lemo_the_lemon
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'd like to see a return to the Island games, or at least a port of the Wii games. I always found them really fun, I just couldn't really sit down and hog a tv long enough to get them finished.
quigley
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

If I had to pick one, I agree about AP. As much as I love HM64 and would be ecstatic to see an enhanced remake with better graphics and features that the newer games have, I feel like AP is the right way to go. It's been over 11 years already, there's a new console generation (2 if you count the Wii U...which I don't...especially considering you could still play AP on it anyway) and a new generation of gamers who probably never got the chance to play it but would love it.

I personally like the look of ToT's town a little more, but AP improved on basically everything from ToT, so it definitely deserves the remake.

Just one request: please, for the love of (Harvest) « Harvest Goddess », please return Owen's head and body to their ToT proportions. I could never get over how enormous his head became. :o
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

My concern with something like AP is that they seem like under NO circumstances are rival relationships coming back. And that was pretty major in ToT/AP...
TrashBanjo
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

A handful of villagers in SoSFoMT begin mentioning Forget-Me-Not Valley after you get to 8+ music notes (friendship level) with them, including the new characters.
(Brandon, Jennifer, Doctor, to name a few.)

Brandon says something about wanting to visit there soon and asks if you've ever thought about it.
Doctor mentions it and describes Dr. Hardy. (Though, I think he said this in the originals too.)
Jennifer talks about wanting to feel it's "different energies."

Maybe hints towards a remake featuring FMN Valley? :wink:
Last edited by TrashBanjo on Feb 28, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Somerandom
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Like others on the forum I would prefer a new game to a remake. However, in terms of a remake I think the best remakes are of games that can be improved upon.

I would like a harvest moon 64 remake, as the cast of characters had different personalities, jobs and it is one of the few Harvest Moon games where you can’t play as a female... yet you have a set of bachelors already in the game! But, I don’t think this will happen because of the recent mineral town remake which has an extremely similar cast. A harvest moon 64 remake so soon would feel like they are just milking the classic cast and even though there are definite differences it will make the game feel too similar.

I think a DS/Cute remake would be great as it would combine both the boy and girl versions like mineral town. As I live down under, it is hard to find the girl versions (or most games released before it changed to SoS for that matter) of the games as they were never sold here. The games that were released are expensive due to the games not having a widespread release. Remakes are good for people like me who live in a place that has had very few releases of these games.

Enough of my rant, back to DS. I think this would be great as it has similar gameplay to mineral town but has an entirely different location and cast (Cute has Skye one of my favourite bachelors of all time). It also includes your child growing into a teenager, many random events that you can trigger over time and it has the potential to be extremely customisable. The other reason I think this would be a great remake is the numerous glitches in the original.

AP/ToT I think is a good idea, but it won’t work if they remove rival marriage as the rival kids are a huge part of the game. While it is a great Harvest Moon game, it definitely does have things that can seriously be improved upon though. The game is also badly translated in the PAL version, worse than the US release.

Maybe instead of a remake we could have a pseudo sequel to a previous title (HMAP and SoS 3ot come to mind) where we could have the child cast grown up. These familiar characters then would have a little bit of development and it would be unique to see these characters grow.
TrashBanjo
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Somerandom wrote:Maybe instead of a remake we could have a pseudo sequel to a previous title (HMAP and SoS 3ot come to mind) where we could have the child cast grown up. These familiar characters then would have a little bit of development and it would be unique to see these characters grow.
A sequel to one of the existing games is also a great idea and isn't something that's really been done before.

And obviously I would prefer a new SoS to a remake, but I'm sure another remake is bound to happen between new SoS releases. I think SoSFoMT was to hold fans over until a new one is complete.

The Switch seems to be then main hub for remakes, tbh.
chuckles830
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I wanted an AWL remake, but Marvelous's design philosophies are so radically different from what they were back when AWL came out I can't imagine it going smoothly. I think FoMT was a good choice for a remake partially because it was so simple and well-designed to begin with. AWL... isn't. And I say that with love I really do. AWL is also a very big part of my childhood and my heart and I honestly don't want modern Marvelous touching it with a ten foot pole. roblox auto clicker
Last edited by chuckles830 on Mar 02, 2020 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caindoglover
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

AWL. Definitely NOT DS. Because like the other person said those two games are nothing alike. They really shouldn't be under the same voting category because I would never vote for DS. Me personally? Everything I love about AWL is gone in the DS version. The best parts were the aesthetics, the chill flow of the story or what some people rudely like to say is 'no story', the fact everyone ages, and that it focuses on raising your child. Honestly I even like the realistic breeding system. It taught me things as a kid and it really isn't tedious, I found it fun. The fact they never made a game with child rearing again breaks my hearts.

But I would be extremely worried they'd mess it up because the visual style of the game is one of the most important parts to me. DS downgraded the visuals and made me sad. I dont care how many scenes it added, which tbh I dont think it added that many. I replay AWL to this day and still run in to new scenes. But Marvelous has a pretty unappealing style these days compared to back then, so they would either destroy AWL or just go for DS because it fits better. Even DS has a nicer style than current Marvelous.

My second vote would be Animal Parade because they have to keep rival marriages or they are deleting characters. Plus it is my third favorite. Just fix load times and make me run faster, also please tone down the anime style. It made my eyes bleed. Could not stand the character visual style.
kdiz182
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I would like to see a remake of Harvest Moon 3 GBC and i hope they include the greenhouse from Harvest Moon 2.