How do you unlock all recipes without unfair tricks?

Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS [ Game Guide ]
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I plan to unlock all recipes, which I've never down in HM games before, but without using tricks like bread->toast, rice->rice porridge, etc., that I've read about in this forum. I want it to feel natural and earned. Is it even possible?

In Konohana, can I never use fertilizers and cook all the harvested produce before selling it? :)

The guide states that there are 273 recipes, so it'd take ~2730 cooking attempts to unlock all of them. A year has 120 days... But it's hard to calculate further, because you can't harvest and cook every single day. I just wonder if anyone has tried it before. Can you unlock all recipes before getting the Seed Maker (which would likely make it unprofitable to sell cooked items)?

In Bluebell I can't see how it can be done at all. Animal produce increases in quality real fast, and soon it'd be impossible to keep up with money required by the game for various stuff if I cook all eggs and milk, as cooked items sell for much less than 5 star animal produce.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

As far as I remember, this game still uses the discovery method of unlocking recipes which means you don't need to unlock the recipe to be able to make it, just to throw the right ingredients together with the right utensils (which then "unlocks" it so you can make it later). So theoretically you could do this very quickly with a guide and given all the right ingredients, but you could also do it more naturally through experimentation. Say you know how to make bread and you think, "what if I put bread with jam" and boom, you've made toast (just an example, might not be 100% accurate). It also takes some time to unlock utensils if I remember correctly (I might be wrong) so that could be something to consider.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

^
Yes. You can unlock recipes by just doing. The cooking tools are given through the request board with the first one given to you for free.
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I'm trying to unlock the recipes without looking into the site's cookbook... except for the festivals :)

Right now I can swear I've used up 20-30 potatoes to make into simmered potatoes, but no new recipes have been discovered. Don't they get discovered every 10 cooking attempts, or is it random? I wonder if I'm just unlucky or if there's a trick to it that prevents simmered potatoes from unlocking more dishes.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

This is the bit from the guide on the main website that describes how inspiration works (no spoilers for recipe ingredients). It seems that the 10 times is calculated based on times cooked and not just quantity; in other words, cook the recipes separately instead of all at once.
Spoiler:
As you are using your kitchen, sometimes you will automatically figure out a new cooking recipe after you create a dish. If you use the kitchen 10 times to make the same category of recipe, then you will be inspired and learn a new recipe from the same type-category. You don't have to cook the pre-inspired dish 10 times in a row (it is 10 times total) and the inspiration comes from using the kitchen and not based on the quantity: if you make a Turnip Salad, put it in your rucksack, and then make another Turnip Salad, that will count as 2 times. If you make a Turnip Salad and select two for the number of dishes you want to make, that will only count as 1 time.

If you already know the recipe, then you'll learn the next recipe in the list. For example, if you cook 10 Turnip Salads (each one at a time) then you'll automatically learn the recipe for Tomato Salad. If you already knew the recipe for Tomato Salad, then you'll be inspired to learn Herb Salad instead. When you create a total of 10 Turnip Salads, Tomato Salads, or Herb Salads, then you will be inspired and learn the recipe for Caprese Salad, and so on.
I still think a combination of experimenting to learn new recipes and inspiration is faster than inspiration alone, and can be done without a guide and some common sense. There are also recipes hidden around the houses of townspeople that you can find by checking bookshelves and stuff.
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Thanks! However, simmered potatoes definitely don't count towards inspiration. I've just tested a few dozen of them and they do nothing, although other recipes work like clockwork: every 10 single cooking attempts a new dish is discovered. Boiled eggs, radish salads, etc.

For the record, I'm playing a European 3DS version, so maybe that's a bug specific to it. I've already noticed another very unnice bug: the weather report always lies about the next day. Always, no kidding. It promises rain, but it's sunny. It promises sunny\rainy or rainy\sunny, and it's sunny. It promises sunny, and it's rainy. If I didn't play the game on DS ages ago and didn't know that the weather report should always be accurate, I'd think that innacurate reports are a realistic feature.

I'm tempted to pull out my DS, but the first Spring is almost over, and I don't want to replay it. I guess I'll survive the 3DS version, but it was a waste of money for sure.

Is it ok if I never let the animals outside of the barn? I've never done this before in any HM game, and so far at the end of Spring they have no single heart. Maybe not taking them out to pasture is that bad... And here I thought that eating fodder every single day would make them produce an extra heart per day, but apparently not.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yes. It’s okay to leave your animals inside. I did it until I gotten pets. The pets takes your animals out for you.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I’ll have to admit I didn’t use the weather report much in this game but I think I’d remember if it was flat-out wrong—that is definitely a strange glitch! (I have the NA 3DS version though.)

For animals, I don’t think leaving them inside has a negative effect on their friendship; however, they do gain friendship from grazing outside so it will take longer to raise their hearts if they’re left inside.
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I decided to replay the first Spring on DS and, to my surprise, I encountered the same issues. Maybe they're not glitches, after all.

Simmered potatoes did unlock another recipe, but just once (and I believe it was the same with the 3DS version). After that I've made 22 more simmered potatoes, each with a single cooking attempt, but nothing happened. Is there any logic to this? Maybe the recipe you unlock depends on the last dish you're making (the 10th one), and potatoes aren't connected to anything but a single recipe?..

The weather report lied at least once. It promised rain in the morning and sun in the afternoon, but when I woke up it was sunny. I was surprised, so I checked the report again and now it said the whole day would be sunny. Hmm actually I don't remember for sure, but maybe that day my character stayed up past midnight. If so, maybe that messes the weather up. I remember staying up past midnight a lot on 3DS.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I don’t pay attention to the weather anymore.
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I've finally figured it out, with the help of this site's guide.

At the end of this page...
https://fogu.com/hm10/activities/cooking_basics.php

...there are lists. If you make a dish from the list 10 times, you can only 'discover' the dishes next to it (not the previous ones in the list). And that's exactly why a simmered potato can discover only one single dish! There's only one in the list after it, and all those before it cannot be discovered, because they're before, not after.

I wonder where all the data comes form, it can't be figured out from the game alone, and all food in the menu is sorted by categories very differently in the game.

But 'useless food' that doesn't count towards inspiration is not a glitch, after all, I shouldn't have criticized the European 3DS version for bugs. :P

For example, the same happens with Turnip Salad from the Salad category: there are 14 salads in the game menu list, but you can only discover 12 if you keep making the Turnip Salad. Two next salads are sorted into a different category in the list, so any dish in the salad list can't discover anything new once you've unlock 12 of them, nor can it discover the remaining two salads. Well, that was probably a confusing example, but on the off-chance that anyone else is playing ToTT it's nice to be aware of all this to make plans accordingly. All crops I can currently plant are useless for cooking discoveries, for example (as far as dishes I can make with them so far go), and I didn't get lucky enough to receive cabbage seeds after any cooking festivals in order to unlock cabbage in shops. Not even once Gombe has sold fertilizer, too, so it's way more lucrative to buy marguerite flower seeds from Cam, then make flower perfume and sell it for big profit. Don't buy carnation flowers, they make the same perfume that sells the same, but the seeds cost more.
Last edited by Velvet on Feb 26, 2020 6:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I read that page too and didn’t quite wrap my head around it apparently, your explanation makes sense though! That’s more complicated than I thought lol.

Good luck cooking the rest of your dishes!
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Yep I too read that page before and didn't realize what it said at first.

Anyway I think I like how the game works, it means that you can't unlock all recipes too fast. You need to actually make dishes with ingredients that are difficult to get and will take time, rather than discover everything just by making a simple dish in the beginning of the game.
frans4life
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Looks like you've solved your cooking issues. For me, I have the chicken cart so have infinite freshness, so crops are more lucrative for me. 5 star regrowables seeds are the best, eg a plant of 50 strawberries in spring means a total of 150 strawberries harvested, x2 (as you get 2 seeds for each plant) at 1260G each for a total of 378,000G per spring. however you're going to need the seed maker from konohana and a lot of fertiliser to begin with. generally I make a million to 1.5 million gold per year with seeds alone. animals just don't produce stuff fast enough, and require a lot of work while plants just need a water and time for harvest day. Also, if the next day is a cooking festival, it will always change to be sunny. even if there is a summer typhoon forecast (lol). your clothes also affect weather, the cute outfit makes everyday sunny as well though i don't know about reporting sun and getting rain. get pets as soon as you can, grazing is the best way to get FP with your animals, especially with chickens who you cannot brush (pets have FP too, the amount of animals they can herd scales with heart level. talk with them and feed them pet food to increase, toys aren't worth it.)
Good luck :heart: