Pokemon Sword/Shield Isle of Armor Expansion Thread

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Official Website: https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/e ... -of-armor/

Serebii's Info Page: https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/exp ... rmor.shtml

-------

Release week is upon us and it's just a few more days until it's time to explore a whole new area in Pokemon Sword&Shield! This here is a thread for our expectations and impressions - feel free to discuss, but please keep your spoilers in spoiler tags when the time comes!

I'm honestly very giddy for this DLC, not setting my expectations too high, but excited all the same. Isle of Armor is feeling like it's going to be an appetizer compared Crown Tundra, but I'm defs jazzed to be playing Pokemon again and doing anything else besides the battle tower and shiny hunting.
Katgirl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

IGN got a preview demo for the dlc if anyone want to read the article on it

https://www.ign.com/articles/we-saw-30- ... -armor-dlc

I'm excited ^^ I mean I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking but I hope its fun! :) ...and that it's at least a good amount of hours of content and not just like ah hour or something.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I am looking forward to the new content and new (and old) Pokemon that will be added. I'm especially looking forward to hunting for legends again. I was kind of disappointed that there were only 2 in the base game, 3 if you had both or traded. I missed the challenge and sense of accomplishment from trying to catch those things, I'm looking at you Reshiram in Pokemon Ruby! I really enjoyed the addition of the wormhole in the Ultra Sun/Moon entries, largely because of the legends they added, so I am tentatively hopeful for the new additions in gameplay and Pokemon to catch in the two DLC. I also wonder how they will plan to distribute the new mythical over here, since they are doing it with the movie in Japan. Maybe code cards again for Mystery Gift, or resurrect Pokemon Pass?
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I probably should finish the main story before getting this.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Shan O 123 wrote:I probably should finish the main story before getting this.
It's up to you.

If you have the DLC and have the Wild Area unlocked, you can waltz right into the Isle of Armor. It's made so that everything over there will be scaled to your team's level rather than your badges.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Well rn I can’t do anything until I pass the Second gym XD I’m stuck in a maze ^^
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Update is live!
Katgirl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Klara is a cutie :heart:
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Avery is a jerk, but I kinda like him. And the new hairstyle for girls is so cute!
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Alright, I finished the story and spent some time finding digletts and grinding mega mushrooms. I really did enjoy it, but it left me wanting more overall. I will be picking at it now and then, catching the returning pokemon and perfecting my team.

What I like:

- Following Pokemon are back
- The music is fantastic
- Kubfu is adorable
- The area is very diverse
- Tons of treasure everywhere to money grind
- New outfits and hairstyles are awesome
- Gym leaders and other NPCs will hang around the island (Time/Weather based appearances)

What I don't like:

- No way to track digletts aside from finding another (you'd better not forget the area you're missing one in :/)
- Mega Mushrooms are a serious pain in the « Mr.Gourmet's hat » to spawn (Just let me buy them instead of making me grind raids please)
- Mrs Honey's rewards are not worth it and are just another grind
- THESE SHARPEDOS NEED TO GET A HOBBY AND LEAVE ME TF ALONE

Also, the online has been completely buggy since release yesterday, but I imagine it'll be fixed up sooner than later. Anyways I'm looking forward to The Crown Tundra later this year and hoping it'll be a bit meatier.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I heartily agree with Bluie's assessment. I think my favorite part of the Armor DLC is the new wild area, as most of my time there going forward is going to be exploring and catching.
Spoiler:
I am kind of disappointed that the story aspect is so short though. I hope tundra's is longer and more challenging.
I think Serebii is working on the Diglett collecting last time I looked, but it kind of reminds me of trying to find all the Zygarde pieces again, ugh.

Has anyone tried the Zeraora raids yet? The very first one I came across was a five star square shiny beast of a Pokemon. It wiped out all four battlers with one move! I tried several other times, some in different spots or online with my lightning rod Rhydon, level 99, but still got wiped out with close combat. :P Eventually I was able to beat a 3 star one, but wow, I am not sure what strategies should be used to stand a chance to the higher level ones.
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I'm still deciding if I should buy the dlc... Question, have new pokemon been added with the dlc? New as in those who weren't in the final 400 in the base game, nor gotten through trades or Pokemon Home.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

To my knowledge, there are only two brand new Pokemon introduced in the Isle of Armor DLC, Kubfu and Urshifu, not counting the new mythical which I am not sure if it counts as part of the DLC or not since I haven't heard how it will be distributed outside of Japan yet. The Tundra DLC is supposed to have new regional variants of the three legendary birds, and two brand new Reggi Pokemon, one that's electric and one that's a dragon type, but I forget their names. Other than those few I think all the other new Pokemon have been in previous games, but weren't in Sword/Shield before. I think the Armor DLC adds around 100 or so more, if I understood the new regional dex correctly, so I am hoping Tundra will reintroduce more as well.
Edit: I forgot there's another new legend in Tundra, Calyrex, that looks like a little deer with a balloon/tree thing on its head.
Holla
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I really like the additon of Kubfu and it's evolutions. It's not breedable and you can only get one per save file. Which is fine I suppose but what bugs me the most is that you can only complete one of the towers once in order to evolve it. As someone who collects a living Pokedex including most alternate forms I find this annoying. I can easily obtain another Kubfu via trading but I'm unable to evolve it myself as I've already evolved one of them and now both towers are inaccessible.

I do like the new wild area though.
gourmet_freak
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I haven't purchased the DLC yet but when the update dropped, I transferred a Larvesta from Black to Shield because Volcarona is one of my favorite Pokemon and was missing initially.

Spoiler:
I transferred some others too and actually ended up with a shiny Clawitzer.