FE:3H Newbie questions

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Kaiyumi
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game! The FE franchise has always been one of my favourites, and the Blue Lions is definitely my favourite house in FE3H!

In following playthroughs, you can use the Renown points that you gained throughout your first playthrough to unlock previously viewed supports! This means that you can theoretically auto-recruit multiple characters if you have enough points. For example, if I'm playing GD route but I want to recruit Felix, I can pay renown to restore my support with him to A rank (assuming I got him to A rank in my last playthrough) and talk to him to auto-recruit him instead of having to raise certain perimeters. It's kind of nice, because there are also multiple cross-house supports and paralogue levels that you can unlock (i.e. one paralogue requires having both Mercedes and Caspar).

The lack of pair ups is odd, but also not entirely surprising. B') If you check a character's status, it'll show you who their top 3 closest allies are. Assuming that all three of those closest allies are at A/A+ support, the one at the very top is usually who they'll end up having a paired end with...unless that ally at the top has someone else listed as their top ally. It's all very confusing, because some characters will just take precedent no matter what. If there's ever a pair you REALLY want, you'll either have to have the DLC and pay renown to guarantee that pairing, or make sure that those characters only reach A/A+ rank with each other and no one else.

And Edelgard's an interesting one. I appreciate that the routes aren't just all black and white, because it really gives you the opportunity to agree with a cause but not the method. I do hope you enjoy the other two (or three) routes though!
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I've been playing FE since Sacred Stones (NA/GBA), so been a fan of the franchise for a while.

I didn't start a Game+ cause I just assumed that was just a lot harder or something. So I'm in Deer in a regular game. I actually don't want a lot of recruits as I really hated having so many have to sit out of battles, so I'm going for a smaller but stronger team this time around.

I don't have the DLC and am still debating it. The outfits I doubt I would even use. Playing with pets would be entertaining for about a minute. I've read the story DLC isn't integrated well into the main story and doesn't unlock any new lore really, like it could have about the dark ones and such. So, I don't know. I might get it prior to starting the Eagles run, just to show support for the game if nothing else. We'll see.

Right now I'm just trying to get used to being called Teach.
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The DLC does feature some lore stuff.
Spoiler:
some of Byleth's background + Church stuff
The DLC is good and provides some new characters for the game but that alone may not be entirely worth the cost for you. You could easily watch it on youtube or something.
Kaiyumi
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Aaa, the original games on the GBA were really good! They've all certainly come a long way too.

And I'm in agreement with Blue Rose; I enjoyed the DLC and what lore/new house that it brought to the table, but it also may not be entirely worth the cost if you'd rather just look up the story points or don't care about the new characters. The other things they added (i.e. checking your characters' growth, guaranteeing a particular paired ending) are nice bonuses, but not at all necessary.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Kaiyumi wrote:SNIP , guaranteeing a particular paired ending) are nice bonuses, but not at all necessary.
It can do that? I may have to get it then. What happened in my Blue Lion run really bummed me out. Thanks.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Eyup. For the cost of some renown (which you should get a ton of just leveling up your characters on extra maps or doing sidequests) you can lock in a paired ending in the DLC area in the main game.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:Eyup. For the cost of some renown (which you should get a ton of just leveling up your characters on extra maps or doing sidequests) you can lock in a paired ending in the DLC area in the main game.
After looking everywhere I finally found a video showing how this is done.

However it shows that it needs 10,000 points to lock someone in a pairing? I don't think I got 15,000 points total in my play-through of 105 hours, so I have no idea how I'd have 10,000 extra to set up some pairings. It's like that feature might as well not be there. :(

I'm currently in Chapter 1 of Golden Deer. Lorenz is something else. Even when trying to be nice he's condescending. What a guy. I'll make him a Dark Knight I suppose. Raphael is one of those people you'd like to have as a friend ... but you hope they don't embarrass you when you're around other people. War Master definitely. I have no idea what to do with Ignatz. I finally made him a dark mage, but seriously he's seems so worthless. Lysithea is a goddess of destruction. I worked her hidden talent and gave her a Levin+ sword. She's a beast! She's a glass cannon though so I have to keep her from getting hit. I may end up turning her into a Mortal Savant. Marianne seems destined to be a Holy Knight. Claude a Wyvern Lord of course. Leonie, probably a Bow Knight, but she is kind of a mixed bag with a lot of different combat skills.
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You rank up enough renown pretty easy by the end of endgame. Especially for NG+. Worse comes to worse, just don't do everyone's A supports and save + reload the ones to watch them all but keep the ones you want. Not sure why none of your pairs worked in your last file but I never had a hard time with just sticking with one A pair and having them appear at the end (and this was before the locking pair feature was out).
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Blue Rose wrote:You rank up enough renown pretty easy by the end of endgame. Especially for NG+. Worse comes to worse, just don't do everyone's A supports and save + reload the ones to watch them all but keep the ones you want. Not sure why none of your pairs worked in your last file but I never had a hard time with just sticking with one A pair and having them appear at the end (and this was before the locking pair feature was out).
That may be part of the problem. I did grind a lot (105 hours worth) and had EVERYONE at A rank that could be. In those situations I guess the ending is random and I got some odd randoms. Maybe they were all ticked I picked Catherine.

Not sure who I'll pick this time around. I thought I'd like Leonie, but ... I really don't. Not sure why. She's so blunt, and her chewing me out after my dad died ... not cool man. Lysithea is a maybe but will depend on how she is in Chapter 2 ... and if I can keep her from dying. Shamir maybe, but not sure I like being reminded that she has a past lover and I remind her of him ... not the best pick-up line.

I may have to play a female Byleth for my last run for a different perspective.
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Also, you're probably missing some quests from not recruiting from other classes. You aren't doing that, right? Some paralogues don't show up unless characters from other classes are recruited (& present in the right time duration)

Examples... (Mild spoilers)
Spoiler:
Lysithea & Ferdinand (post skip)
Mercedes & Caspar (post skip)
Dorothea & Ingrid (preskip altho I think this one just requires one od them to be present, but youll miss out on Ingrids lance if you don't recruit her by the time you do it assuming you're not playing BL)
Linhardt & Leonie (post-skip)
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Blue Rose wrote:Also, you're probably missing some quests from not recruiting from other classes. You aren't doing that, right? Some paralogues don't show up unless characters from other classes are recruited (& present in the right time duration)

Examples... (Mild spoilers)
Spoiler:
Lysithea & Ferdinand (post skip)
Mercedes & Caspar (post skip)
Dorothea & Ingrid (preskip altho I think this one just requires one od them to be present, but youll miss out on Ingrids lance if you don't recruit her by the time you do it assuming you're not playing BL)
Linhardt & Leonie (post-skip)
My first play-through I recruited ... well just about everyone ... just because. The problem was when I was doing missions I had to sit out like 15 units due to the mission cap. So I had to grind and grind to get them into missions also so they could level some. It was a nightmare.

This time I figure I'll recruit the teachers and maybe one other student, just to make the group smaller so I don't have to grind so much. Outsider will be Bernadetta since I just think she's adorable. My last run I may again try to get everyone again and then only get support to A on those I want to have endings together.

But I'm not sure how much one would have to play to get every pairing. Honestly the amount of content, cut scenes, voice acting, etc., that went into this game is staggering. Thanks to YouTube though I can still see it all.
Kaiyumi
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

If it helps at all, you don't have to feel obligated to use any specific characters. I recruited everyone in each route but only ever used the characters from the house whose route I was on and left everyone else at like...level 5. I would just anyone outside of the house adjutants to grind cross-house supports.

It's nice having more characters just to cover paralogue requirements like the ones Blue Rose listed. I also prioritized any route-specific supports (i.e. since you can't recruit Dimitri in any path other than his own, you can only see Dimitri and Marianne's supports on a Blue Lions run).