Animal Crossing: New Horizons~

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

How are you liking the game so far?

You may select 1 option

View results

Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

If you're willing to devote the space it takes, a cleverly hidden batch of oil barrel bathtubs might provide the steam effect you're looking for, Kikki.

I uh... just discovered something that is going to change my life in Animal Crossing entirely... pinwheels from the fireworks festival (placed as furniture) react to in game fans.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Arcy wrote:If you're willing to devote the space it takes, a cleverly hidden batch of oil barrel bathtubs might provide the steam effect you're looking for, Kikki.
Not sure if I could make that work, but I could try it to see :) I also want to put a tree island in the middle of a lake, but I'm stopped by it being impractical. With my luck, every day the tree with the furniture in it would be that one tree, stranded in the middle of the lake, with bushes growing all around it so that even if you COULD get to it, the item would have nowhere to land.

Art imitates life. Just as in reality, I am halted in so many of the design ideas I want to try by them not being practical (or in some cases, scientifically possible.)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

IRL, it's a bit chilly. When I got up at 6AM today, it was only 8C (Uhhh...about 46-47F. Calculations before breakfast, ugh!) I had just gotten a dark blue parka undercoat from jones in AC, and it was raining, and my RL bedroom is cold (I like to keep the window open as much as I can) so I decided to wear it, even though it is still summer, in-game. The rain made it look chilly! Jones also sent a blue tweed frilly skirt, and it goes, so I got out my favourite style of boots and the cute purse Bluie gave me, and I have an outfit that reminded me that I want to read my book on kanzashi again. And that I get a lot of presents. :)
Spoiler:

Autumn is fully inbound IRL, where I live. I love autumn, but it fills me with dread, because autumn here is very brief and winter bites hard on its heels. (It almost bites it right up to the waist rather than the heels, as we often have permanent winter snow by November.)

I got a picture with all my current villagers in it, finally. I still have so many flowers to clean up! (And lily-of-the-valley has gone nuts in my town. I'm afraid of the mess I'll have tomorrow after the rain!)
Spoiler:
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The huge weather change in September should help us. Because we’ll be going from summer to fall
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's the same for the Southern Hemisphere...when we get the big shift to autumn, they get a big shift from winter to spring. (Though they may already have it...I'm not certain of the exact day their winter turns to spring in the game.) I'm definitely looking forward to it. The autumn decorations are the best. I love leafy, treesy, harvesty stuff.

As for me, I'm tidying up little bits here and there from all the reconstruction a few weeks ago. I had a revelation I should have had ages ago. I have 2 staircases going up to my museum (flanked by 3-wide waterfalls on each side and in between)as I want the museum to be grand (and symmetrical!). I've always had that. But we can only have 8 inclines, and I have NONE on the west side of the map. Not a single one leading down from Bamboo Bluffs to the beach. I thought about it for a while after realizing that the stairs leading up from the west side of Town Hall were quite close to Witchwater Wold, where the museum is. In other words, there's already an incline quite near to the museum entrance.

Took me another week to commit since I was always so stuck on that design idea, but I demolished both inclines directly in front of the museum. It is now one HUGE waterfall, all the way across, like the museum is on top of a hill of water (the building is also flanked by waterfalls from the third level...it's the most watery area of Windfall). That's why it's called Witchwater. Frankly, water in that configuration IRL would be really weird! You'd need a massive pump, lol, or magic, to propel water up in a hump like that, to fall down into the rivers below. I'm pretending there's a coven of (nice) witches or naiads or something living under the museum hill. The fishing is better this way, too.

Anyway I'll be building a final incline tomorrow, and then one more bridge, and probably that'll be it. It'll be all 8 inclines, so even though I could do with 9 or 10 of them...it'll have to do. I have to finish the graveyard and the apiary...the space is ready but I've only partly filled them...and nudge just one more house into the perfect place. And then Windfall's map will be complete. Though it won't be until after I have all the leaf/acorn/mushroom stuff that I can properly decorate two of the areas. Still, once the topography is complete, I'm going to save an image of the map and label it with all the names, lol. I'm going with a somewhat juvenile alliterative theme (even though I never admired it in Stan Lee's work!) because that kind of silliness just feels appropriate for Animal Crossing.
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It seems like the transition between seasons in this game is much more subtle than in past games - we're not going to wake up one day in a full-on fall day, but by October everything should be a lovely golden season.

I have heard that snow is off the ground in Southern Hemisphere islands now, but haven't gotten a chance to see what that actually looks like yet.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Arcy wrote:It seems like the transition between seasons in this game is much more subtle than in past games - we're not going to wake up one day in a full-on fall day, but by October everything should be a lovely golden season.
Aww :( If that's true, that sucks. A big shift would have felt so fresh. A gradual shift won't. Not for me, anyway. Well...at least there'll be the Tree's Bounty DIYs to collect from balloons beginning right on September 1. And I think you can start to get pinecones and acorns from plain deciduous trees right away, too, though I'm not certain. (I'm gonna have to make sure I have enough of them...I have a lot of pines and fruit trees, and probably not that many regular deciduous trees.) And each new month brings new critters, so there's that, as well. I should at least get a week of renewed interest in a few days. I hope.
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yes, you should be able to get some of those Nature's Bounty recipes right away
Spoiler:
(the Bonsai recipe in particular is a highlight imo), but the meaty/really good stuff (Mushroom and Maple Leaf) is locked behind November. I'm not too sure about when Pinecones and Acorns are available but you'll have to shake a tree a lot to even see one, so don't get discouraged if they don't drop out right away. Pinecones, Acorns, Mushrooms, and Maple Leaves are about to make my storage cry, I hope they release more storage soon. I don't want to have to make a new character just to store things. :(
I'm never sure whether to mark things as spoilers with this game... because Southern Hemisphere being a thing means we have actually seen all of all 4 seasons already, the only things that haven't been available yet overall are a handful of deep sea creatures and the events and activities that simply aren't in the game yet.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I don't know about for others, but none of it is spoilers for me, since I know what every single DIY in the game is, thanks to villagerdb and the lists I made to keep track of what I do and do not have already (I am missing 94 DIYs, including zodiac/Celeste stuff but not including stuff that has not yet been possible to get in the Northern Hemisphere, like snowman stuff.)

I'm not very interested in the one item you mentioned, but I LOVE about five or six of the other Tree's Bounty items, so I'll definitely be popping as many balloons as I can. Though we have loads of time to collect them all. I actually like the Tree's Bounty stuff just as much as the maple leaf and mushroom stuff. I want all of it, though if you put them all together, there's probably only about half of them that I will actually end up using.

I think it'd have worked well if, if you can only collect mushrooms and leaves in November, pinecones and acorns stopped being available then...restrict them to September and October. I've heard some people complain that it's harder to collect the November stuff because they keep getting the acorns/pinecones instead. Dunno how valid that idea is, but I do know that I had enough summer shells to make every DIY in about two weeks, so I'm thinking two months would be loads of time to get enough acorns/pinecones. Though I don't know what they mean about the pinecones/acorns making it harder to get leaves and mushrooms, since neither of those come out of trees anyway.

EDIT: Jones sent me two new clothing items, so I put them on. :) Also, I'm betting the way I described Witchwater was weird, so now that that final incline is gone, I'm sticking two pics in...one of her standing in the spot between where the two stone staircases used to be, and one of her standing on top of that spot, directly in front of the entry. It's not unique, but I think it at least manages to make the museum look important. The gardening is haphazard at this time, though.
Spoiler:

I still wish I hadn't had to destroy those two inclines in front of the museum, but I really needed them elsewhere. I want to never need to carry a vaulting pole OR a ladder, so every place needs to be conveniently traversable without them.
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I have a friend whose island's in the southern hemisphere, and she says the snow is off the ground and it's all brown now! Pic under cut for those interested:
Spoiler:
Would be nice if the change from summer to fall would be subtle too~

Very nice museum area Kikki!! I have several areas I need to design (and have ideas for them too), but I'm not really feeling up to it right now. I'm just doing the dailies and checking up on Nook's Cranny if they finally have a simple panel or some sort of divider for sale (need it for my toilet/bathroom xD). I'll probably be in the mood to design again when we have new diys to collect.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Arcy was saying a few posts above that it IS gradual, luckily for those who prefer it that way. :) (Not lucky for me...I'd enjoy it more if the change came in a big burst, or at least over the course of one week rather than a whole month. Oh well!)

Thank you! I think my museum looked better when I had the two staircases in front, but this will have to do, as I need those inclines too badly in other spots. I do wish I could round the landscape out more...soften lines/edges. I'd also really like to be able to place items diagonally. I can usually get things to work out well enough, but sometimes the finished project just doesn't feel quite right.

I thought I'd send you an imperial partition, or a bamboo one if preferred, but even though you're definitely on my Switch friend list, I can't find you on my ACNH list, so we must not have 'friended' within the game.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

361. I've had 361 fossils assessed and still haven't found dino droppings. This game hates me.

There are also three large beetles that I've just given up on. Hours and hours of game-play, all hours of the day, island hoping ... and nothing. Just isn't happening.

On the bright side my daughter has Redd today and he's got one real item, the Wave painting which I don't have yet (she does). So I'll swing by to get that, and try one more time to find some beetles I guess.
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Aw thanks Kikki! How do we 'friend' each other in-game? Through visiting each other's islands? The thing is, I discovered my internet connection/provider hates AC multiplayer :( I can't get through; I keep getting errors saying my NAT isn't compatible or the transmission failed whenever I try to visit another island or open mine.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Pachi wrote:Aw thanks Kikki! How do we 'friend' each other in-game? Through visiting each other's islands? The thing is, I discovered my internet connection/provider hates AC multiplayer :( I can't get through; I keep getting errors saying my NAT isn't compatible or the transmission failed whenever I try to visit another island or open mine.
Yeah, we'd have to visit each other...though it would only have to be for even a second. As soon as one of us visits the other's island, our names will appear in the friend tab and we can friend each other there, which will then allow us to mail each other stuff. But if you can't get to anyone's island at all, or let them onto yours, I don't think there's any way to friend anyone :(

(I assume you have a Nintendo Online membership?)

NEXT DAY EDIT: Well, it's autumn, and...
Spoiler:
The amount of difference I can see in the weather/colours is...er...nil. I mean, it looks like it might be leaning a tiny bit toward a yellowy green today, but the difference is so tiny that I also wonder if I'm just seeing a difference because I was expecting one. The weeds have completely changed, though, and are way more beautiful than the summer weeds. I think they look like there's morning glory in...definitely some type of convolvulous, in my head, anyway.

As soon as I went on, Isabelle gave me a DIY recipe for the little tree. I'd heard you got a wreath recipe, but maybe it is random, which one she'll give you.

I got one each of an acorn and a pinecone out of pine trees today, and from a balloon I got a recipe for a 'yellow leaf pile'. I have not yet seen any of the new critters but I think I may have better luck this afternoon/evening.

And this is something that has been going on for a few weeks, but the type of flower seeds native to my shop have changed. Windflowers used to be one that my store always stocked, but now I can only get windflowers from Leif. Lilies replaced them. I don't get it why...is your native stock changed by month? I want my windflowers back!

I really love the grape harvest pack, though.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yes. Your sister flower changes. i now have cosmos.