New and tentative game announcements

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It looks... alright, but I can't stand the color palette. I'm sure it plays fine and people are already loving it, but it's a no for me. I'll be sticking to Genshin Impact when it comes to games inspired by BoTW.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

South Africa Nintendo leaked(?) a new trailer for Crown Tundra, but there's still no release date, just 'Fall 2020'

I like the music in the trailer, very PMD-esque. I'm not as excited for this as I was when it was first shown off, but I will play it to completion regardless.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Another Partner Showcase 'Mini-Direct' is coming up from Nintendo, tomorrow at 7AM PT (10AM ET). The last partner showcase was exactly 3 weeks before this one. I don't quite get why didn't they lump them together into bigger presentations. Is this a strategy of some kind or are they really flying that much by the seat of their pants?
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's been a weird year and they're being weird. I'm just accepting it until further notice. I'm hoping the new rumored Monster Hunter game gets shown off tomorrow. I hope I'm able to watch it live, because IDK what my schedule is going to be starting tomorrow. By the time I would finally get to watch it, it'd be real hard to find it without being slapped with spoilers no matter where I go.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's not a problem or anything, I just find it so odd that they could actually have given us a 'full-fat' Nintendo Direct (as some seem to like to call it) in Aug/Sep but instead they...dribbled. I mean, everything we've gotten since late July adds up to quite a lot, including a few fairly big-name items and 1st party stuff. I don't really know what some of the stuff shown even was, and I've forgotten the bunch of indies they showed but of those I more-or-less know what they were, there's been:
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (kind of qualifies as first-party)
    Mario Home Circuit
    Mario 3D All-Stars
    Mario 3D World
    Paper Mario: Origami King (I don't remember when it was announced, actually, so I just threw it in anyway)
    Lego Super Mario
    Pikmin 3
    Shin Megami Tensai Nocturne III (remake)
    SMT V
    Just Dance 2021
    Cadence of Hyrule DLC
    Rogue Company
    WWE fighting thing
    Puyo Puyo & Tetris mash-up
    Minecraft DLC
    Kingdom Hearts rhythm game
    Fuser
    2 Taiko no Tatsujin RPGs
    World of Tanks (or something like that)
    3 Final Fantasy gameboy games for Switch
That doesn't include anything that'll be shown tomorrow, of course...just what we've seen in about a month and a half, between late July and the start of September.

I feel like I've forgotten a big one (or two), but hey, I can't remember what I've forgotten :) For EVERY Direct, there's always going to be a huge crowd of people who say that it was the most disappointing one ever, but if you add all that stuff up, it looks like plenty for a full ND, to me. Lots of first-party stuff and a good handful of well-known third party stuff, too. All together that would have made a pretty entertaining Direct, imo, that would have been ready for late Aug or early September.

Are they hoping to keep people happier by dribbling bits out more often? Probably this is based on the Japanese market since that's where all the Directs get their start. Maybe in Japan they like the smaller announcements more frequently? I like the bigger ones all at once...feels more impressive. More memorable. Each time they do a tiny one, people seem to feel like they didn't see anything at all. Hit them with a big whack like that in one go and even if they're not personally into any of it, they can't say there weren't actually quite a few games announced for Switch.

Maybe Nintendo is permanently getting away from the "full-fat" style of Direct. They had been really slowing down on the big Directs even before CV19. Maybe they want to go with this sectioned mini model from now on, with indies in one group, partner showcases in another, and their own single big announcements each done separately, or grouped by franchise (Mario, Pikmin, LoZ, etc.)

Curious about tomorrow, anyway! I have nothing specific to hope for, so I'll just be watching for what I figure will be about 5-10 minutes of general entertainment.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Wow. Final Fantasy XVI has been announced.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/final-f ... for-ps5-pc

I didn't expect to see this for years. Not a fan of how 'Nomura' it looks, but he IS a character designer for the series (and has been for years). Yoshi-P is heading it though, and I trust that man a lot.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I managed to catch the whole PS5 presentation. November 12, huh? I'm not planning to buy one on launch, since there are no must-have exclusives, and the price was too high. $500 USD for the standard version? No thanks. $400 USD for the digital version isn't enough better, either, cuz that's still around $525-$530 CAD. The price may drop after a while, but with things as they are, I'm thinking it either won't, or will take quite a long time to do so. Mind you, I can probably get a really good deal on it through Shopper's Drug Mart, when I do eventually get around to getting one.

The presentation was nice and flashy, though. I don't want any of the games they showed...FF16 and Spider Man looked good, but not like my type of game, either of them. Almost everything else was too violent for me. Of everything shown, I figured FF16 would get at least some interest on FOGU. It is pretty soon for them to be showing it, though! Gematsu was really wanting to see that game but I figured it'd be way too soon. Guess we were wrong on that one. No guessing how long it'll be before it's actually out, though.

EDIT: Btw, if anyone missed the presentation, you can see a good recap here, including individual videos of the bigger game announcements.
Panda Parfait
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Excited for FF16! I'm not a fan of the character designs but the series has always been super hit or miss in that department imo, so whatever.

I'm interested in some other games they showed (Demon's Souls, Spider-man, Deathloop, Resident Evil) but they're not something I need asap. As for the PS5 itself, I wanted the version with the disk drive but that's a pretty dramatic price difference... probably going to end up with the digital version. Definitely not going to be a day 1 purchase for me, though.
Night Owl
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Sony announced a game price hike as well.
The Blog Post
1st party games will be $69.99 USD, which is uh... Really expensive. A bit too expensive in my opinion. But I don't really plan on getting a PS5 until more games come out on it. Final Fantasy 16 is a good start for that, but I need to see other games because nothing else is really doing it for me. I also still really hate the design, so part of me hopes that if I wait long enough they'll do a hardware revision where it's less ugly. Or at least in a different color.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I know my husband and I both want the PS5, but what's holding us back mainly is 1. Nothing at launch either of us care about and 2. Our PS4 is my Final Fantasy XIV machine while he plays on PC (so we can play together). I know that there's going to be back gen compatibility of some sort, but I also have a hunch they're gonna reveal the PS5 version of FFXIV along with the next expansion, so I'll just wait for that. If that happens to be sooner than later, then hubbo and I will discuss if we have the budget to snag one. I'm a-ok with the digital only version, but I know he'll want the disc drive. Decisions, decisions!

I think my biggest want for the PS5 is Blue Reflection 2 and more NieR -remasters or new entries alike.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The Nintendo Mini Direct:
Spoiler:
You know, when I saw it, I thought 'is this Monster Hunter Stories 2?', but figured it probably wasn't. Except it was. I can't get into regular Monster Hunters, but I'm interested since the demo of the first 'stories' game was pretty cool.

Wasn't expecting Fitness Boxing 2, either. Actually, wasn't expecting Disgaea 6, either. And we're not done yet. At the very least, this has been a very surprising little show.
EDIT: OMG! IF anyone here didn't watch this thinking it'd have nothing for them...GO WATCH IT NOW. (You can 'rewind' it.) I thought it'd be a wash after a certain point, but I got smacked right in the face after that.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

It is a shame I have been too afraid (for my wrists) to play Ori...because that box set is GORGEOUS. <3 Looks like a pin thrown in there to boot. Too cute.

That was modestly satisfying? Mostly happy for the indie studios. (Did we see Long Dark at the Indie World Showcase? I don't remember it there...very weird.)

Back on my « Cow Poopoo »...I never thought I would be able to say Microsoft is the most respectable console developer. Putting games everywhere they'll fit, above and away the accessibility king. GG, Microsoft. I wouldn't go so far as to call them 'pro-consumer', but they're getting close.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

FRIENDSHIP WITH MONSTER HUNTER WORLD IS OVER, MONSTER HUNTER RISE IS MY NEW BEST FRIEND.

My husband and I were SCREAMING during the whole MH opener. MH Stories 2 is also great! I was getting nostalgic over the first game this morning and BOOM, SEQUEL TIME. Ohhhh it is fantastic to be a MH fan todaaaaay.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

If you add them all together, all the various Nintendo Direct announcements really do add up to a pretty darned good BIG one. I left off Torchlight III, too, which is one I'm actually looking for.

Anyway, there's an hour of Immortals: Fenyx Rising footage available, now, if anyone is on the fence and wants to see more. I'll watch some of it later, probably. (I like to watch a LITTLE gameplay footage to get a feel for the type of gameplay I'll be getting, but I don't like watching too much. Particularly when there is any commentary.)