Backlog 2020

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I wrote this to not be spoilery, but given how plotty Trails is, I'm gonna tag the entire thing anyway.
Spoiler:
McBurn's moment of revelation really was great :) Oh, and I forgot Juna x Orobouros. That was always great, too, I loved Juna whenever she was facing off against, say, Campanella in the pre-battle banter. :) I loved how she called them out on their BS so clearly and angrily, lol. It was really enjoyable to hear her shout the stuff I've been thinking for six years...Juna filled me with glee at least twice in IV.

Rufus really disappointed me, particularly after making me so mad at him in III. He could have been so much more. Well, it's all a case of YMMV, isn't it? People often look at events in Trails games from completely opposite viewpoints...I've heard huge variations in how people view any given aspect or character. But I was really disappointed in him. For me, in the end, he lost his gravitas.

I'm gonna replay all the Cold Steel games, too...I want to replay ALL the Trails games in a row, but I'm afraid it might break me. For my next replay, though, I'm going to just do III and then IV again...and in another year or so I'l replay all of Cold Steel or, if possible, all of Trails (except 3rd, which...no way. I watched the entirety of it, but I will NOT ever play it. Nope.)

I'm not really looking forward to Hajimari much. I'll play it if they localize it, but I know that it's the three different stories, mainly, plus a bunch of side-bits, and it just doesn't sound that compelling, to me. There were no loose ends left after IV that I care enough to have another game for. I feel weird about how much was tied up, actually. Trails is continuing, yet they've wrapped so much up neatly from Liberl, Crossbell and Erebonia...feels like we'll really be starting from scratch in Calvard. (Assuming that's where we go next.)
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So after 1 or 2 hours, I gave up on Dragon Quest 8. Was definitely getting vibes on how similar it was to the previous DQ games I tried sans 11, so I just knew it wasn't gonna be a good fit. I'm still gonna try out the demo for 11 again just so I can get a feel if this is a game I want to play.

In the mean time, I went into Golden Sun and I like it a lot! It's a good RPG. I think I'm almost halfway through the game. I've got Lost Age on my Wii U as well, so I can jump right into the sequel once I'm done and then Dark Dawn is next, my last 3DS/DS game.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Finished Cafe Enchante. Some routes were better than others, and I've already said what I felt about that awful common route and the derpy character art (particularly any of the male hairstyles) so in summary I'll conclude with...it wasn't terrible, but if I had the chance to go back and decide whether to buy it or not, the decision would be 'not'.

I also played Taisho x Alice Part II. I think it's really well done in many ways, and yet, I very much disagree with the psychological implications of some of the 'correct' choices that lead to the happy endings. In particular I am reminded of Grade 9 when some guy showed up at my high school with a shot gun, threatening his ex-gf that he'd kill himself unless she got back together with him. :evil: I don't remember having that problem with Part I. I'll have to play it again to refresh my memory. As before, though, the characters are great, and one thing Alice isn't, is a damsel in distress. Obviously, since the fellas are basically the damsels, this time around. (Though that concept felt like it was missing or tilted sideways with Gretel, imo.)

Caught a few maple leaves and have 2 maple DIYs now. Ugh, I am so not into ACNH at this point. Though Windfall looks gorgeous today...deep blue sky, golden grass, trees in every shade of yellow, orange and red...the ocean even looks more teal and the rivers a deeper navy. But playing feels chore-like to me, now. I'm forcing myself to go on daily during maple leaf season to make sure I get enough stuff to make all the mushroom and leaf items I could want, but it feels like work, not fun.

Not specifically working on any game, right now. I'm considering getting Steam Prison, though. But...not now, I think. I don't know when I'll get Age of Calamity since it's coming via Canada Post, but there isn't enough time to cram another game between now and its arrival, most likely, given that every game I'm ever interested in seems to be really long, lol.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

XD I have to second that...ACNH is not as fun as it used to be. *sigh* I think the fall crafting material grind was what killed it for me. Or at least threw the last nail in the game's coffin. Boggles my brain that there was NO alternative system put in place to get DIYs. I don't care if it's expensive. In theory it's for late game anyway. Let us trade stacks of duplicates for ones we're missing! Let us trade tons of duplicates to even UNLOCK it. PLEASE! I get that game design is hard, but...this is just silly. Sometimes it feels like big companies only really care about whatever percentage of the game they need to look good in advertising.

I sat around for 3 balloons today (that was all I could stand) and only one had a DIY. And to date I've gotten ZERO mushroom DIYs. Not the end of the world, but I wish I'd get a few. Really is a shame...I kinda miss New Leaf now? Even with all of its failings I never really got sick of it. I just gradually moved on.

SPEAKING of grindiness, I'm still playing Genshin. Got the new girl from the update (the blonde, I would call her a blonde), which was cool. Very pretty design, looks nice from behind. :lol: Playing Genshin does make me think about BotW2 quite a bit. I really hope they smooth out some of the systems from the first game. Or just scrap them entirely. I feel like in some ways Genshin is less tedious than BotW, but at least BotW didn't FORCE you to interact with all of its systems to progress...you just had to 'get good' not to. Options are nice...*sigh*
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I can understand the DIY grind. I had to ask my sister to mail me her duplicates because I didn't get a single one. Now we've got maple leaf recipes on top of that.

I finished Golden Sun last night and am now moving on to Lost Age. I entered a long password to keep everything I got and am ready to move on!
Zais
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:
Kikki wrote: PS: The thread says 'ouch'.
*gives it a Band-Aid*

On Rufus:
Spoiler:
The dude killed a character to further fuel his temper tantrum and I was DONE with him. By the time the party reaches him, he's such small potatoes and he doesn't even realize it lol. When Jusis was approaching him I was chanting "HIT HIM HIT HIM HIIIIT HIIIIM!" and POW, the boy DELIVERED. You messed with his family and took part in the murder of his girl. I hope his dumb, pretty jaw shattered. Rot in jail for the rest of the series please~
On McBurn:
Spoiler:
The mood whiplash was GOLD. He's been this cocky badass for 3 games and then he's just "uh, wow, embarrassing, sorry ya'll" and peaces out. What are the odds that he's just this regular ol' dude from whatever world he's apart of and he just realized he's been BULLYING CHILDREN and almost KILLING THEM for YEARS LMAO. Would've loved to see his conversation with Campanella and the Grandmaster.
Zais wrote: Now that that's out of the way, I can now replay the Trails series to refresh my memory before playing Cold Steel IV in English(I played it Japanese in January).
Godspeed. Having all the games relatively fresh in your mind will 100% make Cold Steel IV a more exciting experience. I had to stop and google names a few times it's been so long since playing some of the old titles. Hope you enjoy yourself!
Well I may have to put my replay through of the Trails games on hold until I can get a better working PC/laptop as the one I'm using somehow deleted my Trails in the Sky FC saves.
While I may have only been in the beginning of chapter 1, I was on a New Game+ so I lose out on all my carry overs.
EDIT: Nevermind, my saves are still here just had to reinstall the game on Steam.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

That's really unfortunate, Zais. That's quite the whack of hours to lose. :(

~

I forgot to mention that I got Townsmen 75% off the other day. I don't really intend to play it. Ehhh...that's not quite the right way to say it. I mean, I DO intend to play it, but...not as a game to finish, exactly. I just thought it'd be nice to have a town-building sim on hand to play idly whenever I have fifteen minutes or etc. I don't aim to sit down and play long sessions with the thought of completing a storyline or anything. I'm not clear on if Townsmen actually has an ending or if it's a town-building, resource managing type that goes on forever.

~

No word on when I can expect Age of Calamity to ship, but even if they ship late I don't feel too concerned. With Haven delayed on Switch and PS4, I don't have anything new coming in December except Fenyx, which I'm not even certain I'll be getting at all. I've already got 24 games completed in 2020, so I'm relatively satisfied. I'll probably end 2020 with 26 games, unless AoC is really long.

EDIT: Yikes, Age of Calamity is not due to get to me until December 1! The delays from Amazon are getting longer and longer as we get closer to the holiday season. That may be due in part to Amazon and in part due to the already overloaded mail system. Well...whatever. I'm not in a big rush. Though....this means I have ample time to play Steam Prison, if I really want to.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:
EDIT: Yikes, Age of Calamity is not due to get to me until December 1! The delays from Amazon are getting longer and longer as we get closer to the holiday season. That may be due in part to Amazon and in part due to the already overloaded mail system. Well...whatever. I'm not in a big rush. Though....this means I have ample time to play Steam Prison, if I really want to.
Oof, that's a rough wait. I might have to wait an extra day depending on if hubbo is up to getting it after work on the day of. The Gamestop we like is on a side of town I REFUSE to drive in until it's not under construction any more. Just thinking about those roads is giving me anxiety, ugh. Really looking forward to playing it just for the story alone at this point. The launch trailer hit me right in the feelies.

----

So, Yazuka 0 is hilarious and I'm really enjoying it in the small bits I've been able to play. Been real distracted with Genshin Impact and Final Fantasy XIV whenever I'm not working, but I'm gonna try to get through a large chunk of it today and tomorrow. Still not gonna rush it regardless, it is really a gem.

----

So many indies going on sale for chump change in the past few weeks, a lot of which being ones I want. I have NO IDEA when I'll have the chance to sit down and just play a few of them, because 70% of them are 10 hour experiences I can just crunch, but there's little motivation to do so right now.

On the note of Indies though, hubbo and I finished up Night in the Woods. He said he liked it, but it wouldn't be something he'd ever have gone out of his way on his own to play. We're thinking about tackling Wandersong next. He had started it last year, but never got back to it, so he's kinda wanting to restart and finish it. We might play Deltarune Chapter 1 first, because he's somehow not played it yet despite being an Undertale nerd.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I enjoyed the demo of Age of Calamity and think I'll find the game fun, but I'm bothered by the adorable baby guardian. The little egg fellow. Cuz the minute I knew what he could do, I immediately doubted that this is actually canon BotW history, but rather, some alternate timeline doo-doo. That kind of thing always takes all the wind right outta my sails. I can't tell how that's going to shape up. They initially said that Nintendo being actually a big part of the development meant that AoC is canon, but Mr. Eggie has me doubting that, now. He's very cute and I want one of him for my very own, BUT...it feels like it'll end up as a cop-out, a 'this is one version of what it COULD have been'.

I don't care how it COULD have been, or MIGHT have been. I want to know how it WAS. So I hope they don't go the alternate timeline route.

I feel stable, but my mood is grey like the sky always is, these days. Hard to be perky. Exercise keeps hurting me, too, to the point where I legitimately can't figure out if I'm doing more harm than good by persisting with even moderate amounts of it. I loved playing Cold Steel, but I feel adrift, now. I'm not sure what I want to do next. Can't seem to get excited for anything. I feel like if they said that RF5 would come out next week, I might not feel a thing. I'm just so tired. I want something to make me feel anticipation, lol.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Welllllll, this wouldn't be the first time Koei Tecmo pulls 'what if' scenarios in their Warriors games. Dynasty Warriors has been doing it forever and Samurai Warriors has it's own side series specifically dedicated to making your own character and changing history with them (incidentally, they're my favourite part of the Samurai Warriors brand). USUALLY they're just fun side stories while the main plot stays intact, like 'well, that was a fun little thing, now back to the actual thing that really happened', but in some situations you can pretty much rewrite history.

Not justifying it if that's what this ends up being, just more pointing out that it would be very on brand. REGARDLESS, it's gonna be very 'wait and see'. I am... conflicted over it. Watching the launch trailer yesterday hit me right in the kokoro when I saw Daruk
Spoiler:
about to get bodied by the Blight Ganon.

If there is a way I have my giant rock husbando not be how he is in the canon, IDK man, I think I'd be OK with it. Egg Guardian is there to mess around, but I don't 100% think he'll be successful. Could end up being a very interesting narrative depending on what they're going for.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

My entire interest in AoC was when they talked about Nintendo being involved, and this being a genuine prequel, not just fan-fiction, like you'd normally have to take a Warriors game to be. If I'd known it might end up just a 'we slid a wee, egg-shaped deus ex machina in here so that you can pretend our version is real!', I honestly probably would not have bought it at all. I mean, it's fine that that's what they do. That's their whole thing, really. But it's one reason why I've never been interested in the games, and it's not what I was sold on when this game was presented. Seeing what happened back then is why I went against all my instincts and decided to try AoC out. They even used that line in promoting the game! 'See what happened a hundred years ago.'

Basically if they go that route, I'll no longer have any use for the game. It'll be great for others, but I'm not interested in a fan-fiction prequel, is all. I'd probably cancel my order, but...BotW has a sequel. I can't discount the tiny possibility that Mr. Eggie IS canon, that he's the only reason we even managed to secure a Pyrrhic victory a hundred years ago, and without him it would have been a complete Game Over. Maybe Mr. Eggie is part of the sequel events. It's unlikely scenarios like that, that have kept me from cancelling my order.

I wish Nintendo would be upfront about whether this is a prequel/canon. They're promoting it like it is, but I'm not convinced, and I'll feel cheated if it turns out this whole thing is just a 'let's pretend it was like this'.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Best case scenario is that the eggy is just these to spice things up. In the other Hyrule Warriors, they gave Link a fairy (whose name escapes me currently) to follow him around so she could talk for him and do stuff in the UI. This time they gave Link an egg guardian who follows him around, does stuff in the UI, but doesn't talk for him and might have influence over the plot. If it ends up being it could change nothing despite it's interference, that would be the best way to do things despite the extra layer of tragedy on the already sad narrative.
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Unfortunately, for the first time, Best Buy is giving me the game late :/ I won’t receive LoZ:HW until Monday.
But at least it’s still coming.

As for robot egg, I’m mixed on it lol. It’s super cute and while I would like if it is all cannon, I won’t be completely heartbroken if it’s not. I’m still hoping it is tho. There’s so many possibilities that i can think of where the eggy could be a part of the real story that it’d be a shame they made it a ‘what if’ instead.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

That's a lot faster than Amazon.ca, at least. My copy's not due until December 1.

I won't be heartbroken if it's not canon, but I will feel like I was deliberately mislead in order to cheat me of money I would not have paid, had they been honest...because it still looks to me like Nintendo is promoting AoC as the story of what happened 100 years ago. Not a story...the story. If that's not what it is, I'd leave it to the musou fans and skip it, myself, because I love LoZ, but I'm not into Warriors.

Oh well, too late to cancel anyway. Amazon claims not to be shipping yet, but they did this with Cold Steel IV, too...they would not allow for cancellation, saying it was too late for them to do anything, even though it was still listed as unshipped. I think maybe they have them all packaged up and thrown onto trucks that aren't going anywhere yet, or something.

~

Meanwhile, with the extra free time...Steam Prison is actually really good and started out pretty hilarious, though overall it's rather depressing, with several very corrupt, nearly irredeemable worlds all layered on top of each other. The characters are really cool, though. They drop the ball once in a while and give a weak explanation for their plot twists, and at other times are surprisingly keen and sensible on the details. I'm finding more to like than dislike, though it makes me feel a bit drab, which is probably a bit counterproductive...

EDIT: Holy puppy doo-doo...Steam Prison is melodrama to the power of infinity. Pretty nearly every single character is a murderer in one way or another, and no big deal is made of it, because the society is so corrupt that it couldn't even exist. Anything that corrupt would already have collapsed, having rotted so entirely from the inside out. And a lot of the plot devices make no sense. I do still like several of the characters a lot, though, and the dialogue.
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Lol Heartbroken was a poor choice of words, disappointed/unsatisfied would probably be more accurate for me.

On actual backlog stuff:

Recently Finished - Final Fantasy 7 Remake (hard mode), Paper Mario: Origami King

Almost finished - My Time at Portia

Currently playing - Cattails, FF15, Yokai Watch 2

On Hiatus: Super Mario 3D all Stars (I’ve beaten all the originals so I’m not too concerned on re-beating them), GTA5

Will get/have pre ordered - LoZ:HW, Destroy all Humans, SoS:PoOt, HM:OW, RF5

I’ve honestly lost track on how many games I’ve finished this year. I’m sure if I backtrack, I could find it but this years been a blur lol. I just know I’ve finished a few games on my backlog so that’s good enough.