Backlog 2021

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Currently playing:

Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir (Switch)
Alba: A Wildlife Adventure (Switch)
Game Builder Garage (Switch)

Up next:

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy (Switch) ((Currently on the first game out of the three included))

So, I did indeed pick up Game Builder Garage. I'm still in the beginning of interactive lessons (lesson/game 1). But, I'm really enjoying it so far. Looking forward to learning more. :)

I also played The World's End Club demo, and I loved it. I really want to get the game soon.

Also, on my PC/Steam, I finally started up Koi Farm that I bought a few months back. It's really fun, but it gets hard quickly, because in order to move on, you have to breed the exact coloration and pattern of a koi fish that is shown. :o :eek:

Games I bought recently:

Game Builder Garage (Switch)
Beasts of Maravilla Island (Switch)

Games I bought on sale/recently:

Code: Realize Wintertide Miracles (Switch)
Nature Matters (Switch)
Florence (Switch)
New Super Lucky's Tale (Switch)
Lego: Builder's Journey (Switch)
Little Mouse's Encyclopedia (Switch)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So, I decided I'd plunk down $50 (CAD) and get three new games on my wishlist, including Haven, which was a definite buy anyway. Got them all, tax included, for a bit less than the full $50, thanks to the sale. I now own Haven, Journey to the Savage Planet, and Beasts of Maravilla Island. Each one has a very different art style. BoMI and JttSP have slightly overlapping gameplay in that you're...kind of like a researcher in each game, gathering info on the creatures or resources of each place? Though it's in a very different way.

With my parents giving me Age of Calamity and Ys IX being on its way after I found a camera setting that didn't make my head lurch, I should now have ample games to take me through 1-2 months until I get to my next *definite* purchase, which is Great Ace Attorney Chronicles on July 27th (followed by Bustafellows on July 30th...might wait a few weeks on that one since they're so close together!) I may skip Legend of Mana for a while since I do want it, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd like to see a bit of gameplay or something, first.

I don't have any excuse any more to say I don't have anything to play, because I have about half a dozen games, all of very different types, not including the 2-4 games I've set aside for now.

~

Just need to organize my upcoming 2021 game possibilities again. I'll end up not buying most of these, probably, as is typical of me, but...
Spoiler:
  • Legend of Mana (June 24 Switch)
  • Monster Hunter Stories DEMO(June 25 Switch)
  • Mythic Ocean (July 2...I'll try the DEMO before then.)
  • Skyward Sword HD (July 16th but I don't plan to get it until it goes on a sale. It's not that spiffed-up of a port...it doesn't deserve full price, in my books.)
  • Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (July 27 Switch)
  • Bustafellows (July 30 Switch)
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits (August 24, PS4)
  • Outer Wilds ('summer 2021', Switch)
  • Garden Story ('summer 2021' Switch)
  • Tales of Arise (September 10, PS4)
  • Olympia Soiree (Fall 2021, Switch)
  • Knockout Fitness (Fall 2021, Switch)
  • Dairoku: Ayakashimori (Winter 2021, Switch)
  • Grow: Song of the Evertree ('2021', Switch)
  • Eternal Cylinder ('2021', PS4
~

Meanwhile, I'm making a list for my li'l cousin. (She's 16, but I remember holding her as a newborn when I was already 27, and it's funny how they sort of stick that way in your mind, even when you're looking right at their basically grown-up form.) She only loves two games in the whole world. Breath of the Wild and Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I think she likes really aimless games where she can putter about doing whatever she wants most of the time, with goals in the background if she decides to tackle them, but we're gonna try to pinpoint her type, since she's been unable to expand her repetoire on her own. So I'm going through my games and once the restrictions are lifted, she'll come over and have a big playing session to try them all out for an hour or so each, so we can figure out what she does and doesn't like in gaming, to try to find her at least a few more games she'll be into.
Last edited by Kikki on Jun 16, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Well, I just finished Super Mario RPG. Now to continue on my last game for the Wii U: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky.

Not sure what my next new game will be, but I'm leaning towards Monster Hunter Stories 2, especially after what I saw during the Treehouse Live yesterday and when I compared it to Mario Golf, I'm just gonna wait on Mario Golf.

I want to try and finish Pokemon up before Monster Hunter Stories comes out so I'll be down to just 3 systems of backlog games left to finish.

Now I'm also debating if I want Life is Strange True Colors and the Remaster Collection on Steam or Switch. It's tempting to have the Life is Strange games on the go minus LiS2.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

@ronin
I never knew they put sky in the Wii. That's probably the mystery dungeon I've played the most honestly. (Or at least the time/sky/darkness ones combined.)

I got to play some more of cold steel for awhile. I'm pretty close to finishing this part-not the chapter, as I've still got some time left on that, but I'll be able to finish this part up and continue once i've had ample time to rest and I'm not so tired and can focus. Didn't have a very good day yesterday. I woke up in pain each time I fell asleep, I was really tired, I think I slept a lot and I don't feel great today either, but. Better than before. Still, getting really sleepy again. My sleep schedules a mess, but I didn't fall asleep this morning so.

I also played some games on my switch. Put animal crossing in for the first time in awhile, played a few more days on vall-hall-a on my computer...bit busy today I guess, when I can play. Having a hard time here and there focusing on the words sometimes so definitely needed to take a break from cold steel. Which I still don't want to do, but I need to rest, so I do want to.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mythic Ocean has a demo. And it is weird, in a trippy way. I think it's too aimless and floaty for me. Most of all, I'm very irritated by the controls, which are terribly imprecise. The worst part is when talking to something. You press A to go to the next speech bubble, and no matter how lightly you do it, it often doubles the input and clicks you through your next choice as well. Choices seem to matter in this game... though I don't know how yet...so that's very frustrating. I do like some of it but I think the aggravations are outweighing the moments where I think something is cool.

~

Meanwhile, I'm going to be trying to get to a certain point in about half a dozen games, due to my cousin. I have to get the right perspective on some of them.. I have GOT to get that kid more games to play.
Spoiler:
In the whole world, she loves TWO games. Breath of the Wild and ACNH. She liked AoC a lot, but it's because of the BotW connection, not because she's especially into a Warriors style of game, so that didn't really expand her repertoire any. She also completed Pokemon Sword, though I don't think she loved it. She definitely seems to love games that have no central aim...games where she can wander around as much as she likes, with a story and other things to do somewhere in the background, that she can go back and pay attention to if she feels like it. She also doesn't like when she can't relatively easily figure things out...she gets bothered if she has to consult a walkthrough. But she's a baby gamer, so of course she's not that good at figuring things out in games that are new to her, due to lack of overall gaming intuition/experience.

Straightforward RPGs aren't her thing...too controlling. XCX would be perfect for her, but she only has a Switch. XC (1) would be pretty good for her, since there's plenty to explore within each area, and load of collectibles to snatch up...it's currently my best hope, if I can show her the ropes to the point where she's comfortable with the battle system.

Once Canada is at a certain vaccine level, we'll go into Stage 2, and at that point I should be able to have the kiddo over to try out the list of games I'm compiling...it's 20 games long, at the moment. I'm sure she won't like most of them, but pin-pointing things you don't like is helpful, too, so I'm still going to have her go through as many of my games as I can. It's just too pitiful, that she loves to play, but only has two games to fall back on, both of which she's already put hundreds of hours into, so she's pretty much drained them of content. It's not like she can hang out with friends right now. Pah...maybe I should put more energy in getting her to go for a hike with me instead, or something like that, lol. Or get her to do some garden projects; I know she's interested in them.
~

For myself, today...I dunno. Lots of options, so I may just not be in a gaming mood. I may try Haven and/or Journey to the Savage Planet. Or maybe I'll finally go back into Age of Calamity and round up the other three champions. Ooooor...I could fart about to infinity in Farm Together, of course.

I've lost track of my actual life goals. -__- I try to do physical stuff IRL but it worsens my chiropractic problems every time. I have to find the right way to sneak up on them! As soon as the tubal apocalypse is over, I have to have another go at it. I'm hoping tomorrow will be an option.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Played Genshin yesterday and I plan to finish up the current story today and then begin the waiting game again. I will say that this event is pretty cool and if I had more time to spare, I'd probably collect all the shells, do the challenges, ect, because it's genuinely fun. I mean, I might, but there's 30+ days still in the event iirc, so there's still time if I feel up to it.

I'm 4ish hours into Chicory and I'd say it's pretty good, but it's not really grabbing me like Wandersong. I often find myself skipping over presents (especially the big ones) if I can't figure out the puzzle within a few minutes. There's little to no info on the net about the game yet in way of help/walkthroughs due to it still being so new, so i'd rather skip frustrations and get on with the plot. I stopped around the dungeon to the bug area and I'll get back to it when I feel like it. It's basically a 2D Zelda and I'm not hugely into those unless their named Minish Cap. LOVE the OST so far though.

The main reason I don't want to go back to Chicory/Genshin atm would be that I started Persona 5 Strikers and WOW it's SO FUN! I played through Persona 5 a yearish ago (maybe 2? time is so blurred to me rn) and it's such a blast to have the cast back after the game's events more mature and on summer vacation! Having the game be a direct sequel instead of a spinoff was such a good choice, and the transition to musou combat over turn-based doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's really polished, honestly feeling like a Persona game with the extra fat cut off. Not that the fat isn't great in it's own sense, but having a streamlined experience in the same setting just feels really cool for some reason? It's just really nice to be hanging out with the cast again and I think I'm hooked! Gonna get back into playing it asap today!

I'm having a major Pokemon itch right now that will probably get scratched my Monster Hunter Stories 2 in a few weeks. Was really hoping the 'Let's Go' games were gonna go on sale, but alas, they did not. November is just so far away rn, and I am dying to get back into Sinnoh...!
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

@Kikki
You should keep an eye on pokemon legends after it releases. It could end up being the one pokemon game she likes, though I think it's too early to tell now. It's worth watching to see if turns out that way though I think. You'll probably have to watch some gameplay videos after it comes out to really see.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thanks, Daikon Boy...I agree. Arceus is probably one to keep an eye on for the kiddo, since she at least likes Pokemon and it may have more of the open-world freedom she's so into. I gave her a list of upcoming games to check out...she's pretty interested in Grow: Song of the Evertree. Also in Avatar, since she loved that movie (I didn't love it...nope. I also still begrudge it the name Avatar in that time period. There is only one Avatar in my mind, and his name is Aang.) She's interested in Skyward Sword (I'm afraid she won't enjoy how linear it is, though...but at least it's very easy to follow without needing to consult the internet for instructions!) and in DQB2. I think it may be possible to get her hooked on DQB2, as long as my bossy sister isn't there, backseat gaming with a vengeance. (Both of my little sisters are notably bossier than me. I'm very hands-off. Possibly a bit TOO hands-off, I suppose. Isn't the oldest sister supposed to be the bossy one?)

Tried to sneak up on activity again, and ouch...tubal apocalypse is still in force. I think I aggravated my sciatic, too...horribly easy to do...will have to do some extra stretching, now, to get the feeling back in my toes, lol. I'm looking forward to Knockout Fitness. Maybe I should finally try the Boxing game (Fit Box or something?) demo that I've had for months, in the meantime. Or maybe I should sit the heck still for today, but what a drag that is.

I feel like playing Farm Together, tbh. I just want to harvest my trees over and over until all the magnolias are levelled up enough to unlock the third type. I also want to finish unlocking the rest of the animals. What a waste of time, lol. I'd love if they'd suddenly release another batch of DLC and add a bunch of new crops to every category. Well, I think I'll get to some Haven or Savage Planet today though. Or AoC. I'm pretty sure I will, since I'm stuck staying still for the rest of the day; I should get an hour or three logged in at least one of those games. In theory. Right?

I don't feel so good. That should be the best time to play but in reality, it just makes me want to sleep! And it's such a gorgeous day, too, dagnabbit. I want to do something fun and constructive.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Hopefully she finds a couple games she likes!
Last time I was playing games with a kid it was my little cousin trying to teach me how fortnite works a long time ago and I ended up getting motion sickness because I don't do well watching other people play certain games...

I beat chapter five of cold steel. Would have kept playing, but I decided to break for the day and play it tomorrow instead. I slept for ten hours last night on top of the previous sleep I'd gotten very shortly before, but I've been up since. Just, very tired, hard few days so I could really use the rest I guess now. I don't want to rest yet. I actually didn't do much today at all except play cold steel...and it's still too early for me to go bed yet, just by a bit, but I'm too tired to focus on a game. I'll end up missing things if I try.

I guess tomorrow I'll be starting the next chapter, and maybe play something else too. Might be a good time for ds games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thanks, Daikon Boy...I really hope so, too. I have 4 days loosely planned...5 games each time, most likely, 20 games in all. It should give her a pretty broad field of games to try since they're all very different from each other, though at least somewhat within her field of interest. I think there's a pretty good chance she'll actually like up to about 5 of them, as long as she gets to understand how to play them. It'll take a while to get through them but she'll be in summer break, soon, and she's so bored she'd love an excuse to go anywhere.

~

Beasts of Maravilla Island is pretty fun, but it is VERY short. Feels almost like an experimental tech demo or something, more than a whole game. You can complete it in 2-3 hours. I only have 1 of each type of critter left to photograph, so I'm about 80% done, and I think I played for about an hour and a half. I'll be trying Journey to the Savage Planet today, if I have time after I get back. I'm focusing on getting through the 5 or so games on my list for my cousin that I don't know well enough to give her a proper introduction to.

It's thunderstorming out there right now...feels awesome. Though my windshield wipers don't work! That's gonna be a problem. :/ I can drive if the rain isn't heavy, but if it is, I'll have to arrange some other way to get to grandma.

I'm back to playing Farm Together. Darned game is just so pointlessly, aimlessly addictive. I love levelling up crops, for some reason. Maybe when I have every crop and animal unlocked, I won't be interested anymore? But even just arranging everything in a logical and efficient way is fun. My orchard makes me happy, now.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Beat vall-hall-a. It took me a little under eight hours and I got the good ending. Guess there's a couple more things I could ng+ it for but I'm not planning to do that anytime in the near future at all. I also played a little bit of crosscode but. Puzzles. Made some more progress in them so it's just, slow going until I'm done with that section I guess. I'll probably play cold steel next instead of anything else on my computer.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Daaaaw, the Genshin story had such an adorable ending! Still not motivated to sail around and do all of the challenges, but I am here for the story atm, and it was very satisfying and a great addition to the lore. I hope we get to meet <redacted> in a future expansion!

Got through the first jail is Persona 5 Strikers and then make it to the next before taking a break. The dungeons are very similar to Personal 5 where there's a bunch of things you need to do in order to progress to the final boss. I am really not a huge fan of this, even in the first game. I'd prefer it be more like Persona 3/4 where I can just run to the boss after clearing floors, but the dungeons are more structured like one massive floor plan, so I get why I can't do that. It just honestly add more to a dungeon for padding as there's usually more story cutscenes, but ehhhhhh. I'm not turned off of the game because of this, I still want to play, but I definitely felt a bit of fatigue once I unlocked the 2nd Jail. Decided to go back to Chicory for the rest of my day off.

Chicory is at the point where I think I'm closing in on the ending. I'm still mainly skipping over most optional puzzles still, because I truly do not care for more accessories and paint brushes at this point. I have an outfit I like and is locked in place and I rarely find a reason to use anything but the default brush. At this point I want to finish it and have it done. I am enjoying the story, but as the gameplay isn't my cup of tea, I just want to get to the next cutscene instead of exploring for more useless collectables or doing side quests for rewards I don't care about / need to finish the story.

Starting to miss FFXIV ever so slightly, but not enough to jump back in. My FC is going to start having weekly contests until Endwalker releases, so I will most likely log on to participate. I also got surprised that Legend of Mana Remastered loaded onto my Switch yesterday, but I guess it's releasing soon enough that my preorder went through. Oh, I also tried out the demos for Disgaea 6 and YS IX, and they are definitely not day one purchases. I put them both on my wishlist and there they will remain until they're on sale or someone gets it for me for Christmas (very likely with how my family can't seem to buy me anything else besides the games I have listed on Amazon. I have books, figures, and DVDs on there and they always get passed over because 'Bluie's a gamer' is all they consider lol. Not complaining, just simply and observation :>).

Right now though, I wanna draw. I think Chicory has given me a bit of motivation to open an art program again.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm gonna put a tack in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky for now; I've beaten Explorers of Time before and consider that good and beaten. I booted up my Vita for some good old wipes and, well, I'm now down to 2 games.

I'm gonna wait on Danganronpa until the series is on the Switch and play all 3 games there, so the first two games are gone for now.

Legend of Dragoon. Maybe it's due to playing too many RPGs and seeing how they all work, but I'm just not being pulled into this one. The hero's town is destroyed by dragons and military men to kidnap one girl who is the destiny of the world? I've heard that...far too many times. The gameplay isn't that impressive either, but it is a PS1 game.

Persona 1 and both Persona 2 games. I knew that these games were more Shin Megami Tensei than what Persona is now, but I still wanted to try them both. Unfortunately, they're not for me. I don't really like the dungeon crawling in the first game and 2 isn't really bringing me into the series. I prefer what the series has become and how the more modern SMT games are is where the series should be.

Lunar Silver Star Harmony. I feel like it's the same problem I had with Grandia, but I like this more than Grandia. I'll put a tack in it for now and maybe I'll return.

Innocent Life. I'm surprised I put down a Marvelous farming sim, especially a spin off, but I wasn't feeling it.

With that, I have 12 games left in my backlog!
Spoiler:
PC
The Crown of Leaves
Divinity Original Sin
Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning
Kynseed
The Waylanders

PS Vita
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6

Switch
Cross Code
Divinity Original Sin 2
FF7
FF8
Monster Sanctuary
It's so tiny and manageable now!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'll be blunt. Beasts of Maravilla Island is boring.

Turns out there are different areas, so it's more than just the first spot you arrive in...though I don't know how much more. But all you do is press ZL then A any time you see a new critter/object, until you have all the new ones in that area, and then you'll find you're able to get to a new area. The story is pretty non-existent. There may be some 'secrets' on this bug/bird/critter filled island, there's some glowing pink stag or something that appears at the beginning and must represent the island's secret or something, but...it's boring. I don't give a hoot who/what that pink thing is, or what's up with the island or grandpa's research. And the graphics are okay, but they're often too hazy for my preference, and there's not much customization in picture-taking. I also don't like the loose, over-sensitive camera motion.

I might chip away at this in bits, if I have nothing else I want to do, but it's not looking all that appealing for me. It's a simple photography game with what so far seems to be a very bare-bones plot and no other people to interact with, just critters scuttling about. The photography element doesn't have enough meat to it to make up for the lack of other gameplay. Not my thing.

~

Journey to the Savage Planet is slightly more interesting since it's reasonably funny, you have a sort of companion in the form of the snarky ship AI, there's a stronger main story, and there's a somewhat better variety of things you can do, but it's so far rather minimal, too. I guess I like very busy, complex games, where I'm spoiled for choice on what to do? I'm not eager to continue playing, but I do like it better than BoMI

~

Haven't tried Haven yet, Monstrum Nox won't be here for another week or so, and AoC is waiting patiently in the background, always looking mildly appealing but never anything I'm raring to go for. (I mostly just want to grind out resources/ingredients to unlock every little thing.) Honestly, Farm Together is more fun than anything else, atm. Even though I barely have anything left to unlock.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

In adding a few more games to my backlog with the recent sales, I also picked up Sonic Forces and surprisingly quickly cleared the story, lol. It was my first Sonic game really since Sonic Heroes on the GameCube I think? It's been a while for sure, and I had heard about the franchise kind of going downhill since the Sonic Adventure days, but since it was so cheap I was willing to give it a try for a change of pace. The game itself is not terrible or great, just okay. It was kind of nice to have that gratification of actually "beating the game quickly" for a change. My main annoyance is with the English voice actors they have now. (Cringe) That new gray hedgehog character, Silver?, sounds more like what Sonic used to. I miss ol' Ryan Drummond and company for sure. I never had a problem with Jaleel White back in the day either.

Played a few more days into my recent file of Portia. I think I may pick that back up again more seriously. I also finally cleared all the regular mode and clip mode puzzles in Picross S4, so I am pretty pleased about that.

Additionally, I started playing HM:ANB for the first time. It reminds me a lot of the first SoS, but goodness it surely has a slow start. I'm about halfway through the first spring and there's not much to do yet. According to the guide it really looks like it will pick up come summertime. I hope so. People complain about the Eda tutorial, but I liked her character. There's a reason why I named Kamil's twins Ash and Eda. :)