Backlog 2021

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Had a really long day today...spent about six hours in the car, so when I got back I wanted nothing else but to play games. After a little bit of clean up, that was my night.

I dunno why Chicory is taking longer to grow on me than Wandersong did, but it's getting there. I'm enjoying just...meandering through the game, decorating screens when I feel like it, doing side quests. There very well may be too much stuff to do, but I appreciate the narrative emphasis on not worrying about doing everything. Learn to say no. That's something that I still struggle with, even as a full grown adult. One of my mom's good friends, basically an aunt after all these years, it took her till her sixties to start learning to say no. I wonder how many of us struggle with it...

Best part of my play time, this is a minor spoiler for an easter egg.
Spoiler:
I fooound them. The bard! The bard bird! It's probably too easy, too much of a cop out to make fanart of Pizza and the bird, but...I love the Bard. I love that you get to compose a song. Pizza is a much more relatable character but I think I'll always miss the Bard. :heart:
I think I'm still in Chapter 4? The game says 40% completion but...is that...40% of the map painted? The paint bucket makes it too easy.

--
In Genshin news...

Mihoyo made a mistake making anemo so much more powerful. Venti was already busted, and he's double busted now. I don't know if another character can beat their own artifact dungeon. Maybe Zhongli, but I think that's even got a geo bonus so it's cheating? Any time I need to put something non-slime down, I just drag Venti out and watch it disappear. I don't have a single character over level 80 and the level 90 anemo artifact dungeon is already a « Snuggly Bunny » joke.

Still enjoying puttering with the event stuff. Hope the poor devs aren't being overworked to get Inazuma finished. :/
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I found an ending in London Detective Mysteria that I didn't even know existed. When I first played it, it had JUST been released for the first time in English, and walkthroughs at that time were unreliable. I remember being really frustrated trying to get...was it Marple's route, or Kobayashi's? One of the side-character routes, anyway, rather than a route for one of the main love interests. You have to get EVERY ending, good and bad and alternate, whatever, to get the 'grand ending'. None of the walkthroughs worked at the time, so I gave up on the grand ending.

Though that's not the end I'm talking about. I got an ending I really didn't even know was in there, yesterday evening. Sort of a...combo route. It was really good! It's actually a way better route than any of the other 4 I'd already done recently. I'm easily on track to get the true ('grand') ending this time. The first time I just got the good ending for each main character and gave up after that since internet information back then was misleading and did not lead to the promised alternate endings at all. Main routes are quite easy to get without a walkthrough, but the ones for side characters are quite difficult...you can't get a single choice wrong, in some cases. But now, years later, it appears that any walkthroughs out there have been revised to be accurate. I've gotten 7 endings so far. I think there are 17 in all, including the true ending, since one drama-fraught character has an extra 3 bad endings attached to him. (All other main characters only have 2 endings apiece, but he's got 5. Side characters only get 1, and there's one secret route I just found, that in spite of not being a romance, is a more interesting process than most, imo.)

~

Only vaguely game-related:
Spoiler:
Well, anyway, it's going smoothly this time :) Farm Together is also still fun, and more appealing than anything else that I have, even though I have about half a dozen fairly good games on my backlog. Thankfully, my backlog is still pretty wee, but it seems as though very little can entertain me, these days. It's obviously a glitch with me or with real life, not specifically with gaming. Everything is so stagnant, these days...I think it takes a toll on motivation in every aspect of life. Plus even without covid, my life is crazy now, with cancer in the family and a relative who keeps popping in and out of jail, and a grandma with dementia (who is now rapidly developing paranoia...she has taken to accusing people near and far of stealing from her and walks around clutching her wallet all day, some days. And sometimes she hides it in weird places and then thinks it has been stolen and the whole house has to be overturned, only to find she's stuffed it in the crack of the recliner.)

Anyway, life is very blarg for almost everyone right now, and mine is more complicated than it's ever been in my lifetime even without the interesting world events going on. Happy fun times, no? Guess feelings about gaming have to get screwed up along with everything else. Can't throw life into a tornado and expect one aspect of it to just sit calmly, unruffled.
~

EDIT: Age of Calamity is confusing me. Sometimes I'm unable to pick things up. It happened twice while I was getting Daruk, just now...a blue glowing thing and a yellow glowing thing both fell...and maybe a red glowing thing? But I didn't seem able to pick them up. If I ran into them, no prompt appears, and the glowing shard of whatever just got pushed around when I walked into it.

On easy mode, the game is fun enough. Glad there IS an easy mode, because if they made the combat difficult, I wouldn't have the motivation to continue on with seeing all the story bits. I assume being on easy mode is the reason I lose so little health and whomp on these monsters when I don't even know what I was doing. I beat the final igneous talus with only a couple of hits, and I'm not sure how. I mean...I don't think I even hit a weak point? I made it fall over, somehow, but then one more hit and poof, it was over for him. Oh well, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. I have a hard enough time going to rescue captains who say they're in trouble (Help, help, tiny Hylian! We giant burly rock people cannot defend ourselves without your itty bitty fists of fury!)

~

NEXT DAY EDIT: Got what's his face, too...Rito. Oh yeah, Revali. Getting Daruk was a pain. I like Daruk (and Revali's a jerk) but controlling him in AoC is very clunky for me...so I can't stand using him. Jerkface, on the other hand, is very very easy to control, and I cleared his mission very fast...it was so smooth and fun. I wish they'd made the more lovable character more for me enjoyable to control.

Also, Haven is awesome. :) So unique. Gathering flow and cleaning rust on its own is fairly fun, but Yu and Kay are great characters, too, and they're really lovable together. I don't know what's going on. Beginning impressions are that they lived in a hive-like collective that arranges everything for them, including their mate, and they met and fell in love and ran away to be together instead of with their assigned mates. That's what I think so far, but it hasn't been spelled out specifically. Yu is not my type. I like ridiculous funny women, and she's moody and intense and, to my way of thinking, a bit high-maintenance. She makes a lot of extra work for Kay. Kay, however, is just what I like. Low-key, low-maintenance, easy to get along with, comparatively quiet. She's more of a risk-taker, which they do need, but he's got all the common sense. (Which they also need.) Also, she reminds me of some kind of dog? I'm not saying she's ugly...I mean literally. I don't know what, but when I think of her, I have the vague image of some kind of puppy in my head. I think it's her eyebrows. (Ah, maybe she's a rottweiler? With those big, almost dot-like eyebrows.)

I do wonder if there is a point to them being named letters, though. U and K.
yzafre
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: EDIT: Age of Calamity is confusing me. Sometimes I'm unable to pick things up. It happened twice while I was getting Daruk, just now...a blue glowing thing and a yellow glowing thing both fell...and maybe a red glowing thing? But I didn't seem able to pick them up. If I ran into them, no prompt appears, and the glowing shard of whatever just got pushed around when I walked into it.
I think the glowing objects you're referring to are refills for your elemental staves. If those are fully charged, it won't pick up the refill items.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thanks, yzafre; good to know :)

~

So, Haven is still really cool. It very much needed a map and then I sort of unlocked one, though it's an odd way of map-keeping, imo. I THOUGHT I had unlocked a teleport ability, but...I'm not sure. I was only able to use it once and then could not find it to use again, so I don't know if I misplaced it or misunderstood it or if it was only a one-time thing.

~

Rather than continuing Haven later today, I think I'll go back to AoC. I just need Urbosa, now. I think getting her would probably finish Chapter 2? Thaaaaaaat's right, I'm still in Chapter 2. I like the gameplay and when it goes really well, like it did when I was retrieving Revali, I want to continue...but it has to go really well to make me want to keep playing beyond 30-45 minutes.

But at least both of these games are pretty cool, even if they're not the kind of games I could sit down to for a marathon session. It'd be great if Monstrum Nox turns out to be that kind of game, but even though as of Ys VIII, they've made the games have a stronger main story, it's still nowhere near the level of Xenoblade or Trails. Heck, it's not even the level of Tales, for being story-driven. I'm curious to see how YS IX is compared to VIII, since it was so popular that they decided to continue on with the direction they took in that game. I don't think I'll get the game this week, though...it's more likely to arrive next week.
Katgirl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:So, Haven is still really cool. It very much needed a map and then I sort of unlocked one, though it's an odd way of map-keeping, imo. I THOUGHT I had unlocked a teleport ability, but...I'm not sure. I was only able to use it once and then could not find it to use again, so I don't know if I misplaced it or misunderstood it or if it was only a one-time thing.
There are little stump things around the world (I think the game calls them stations) and you have to put a cooked dish (any dish) on it. You have to bring the dish in your bag by saying save it for later when you cook it then put it your inventory when you prep to get out.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Katgirl wrote:
Kikki wrote:So, Haven is still really cool. It very much needed a map and then I sort of unlocked one, though it's an odd way of map-keeping, imo. I THOUGHT I had unlocked a teleport ability, but...I'm not sure. I was only able to use it once and then could not find it to use again, so I don't know if I misplaced it or misunderstood it or if it was only a one-time thing.
There are little stump things around the world (I think the game calls them stations) and you have to put a cooked dish (any dish) on it. You have to bring the dish in your bag by saying save it for later when you cook it then put it your inventory when you prep to get out.
That's kind of confusing. Transporting works via cooking? The transport ability I unlocked once was a creature...I didn't have any food with me, I don't think. But they acted like the creature was going to stay around home base, and it didn't, so I don't really know what's up with that in my game. I had some food in my bag when I last left the nest, but the creature wasn't there. Maybe I have to find the item to interact with or something. Ah, well, I'll see if I can find something; thanks for the tip. :)
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote:
Spoiler:
I fooound them. The bard! The bard bird! It's probably too easy, too much of a cop out to make fanart of Pizza and the bird, but...I love the Bard. I love that you get to compose a song. Pizza is a much more relatable character but I think I'll always miss the Bard. :heart:
Yeahhhh! I found this too and got insta warm fuzzies~!

Though some of you might have seen it in the rant topic, I've been having bad insomnia lately. I finally got a whopping 13 hours of sleep last night, so that was nice, but obviously I haven't been gaming lately. Just working and attempting to sleep. I did boot up SoS PoOT to play around with the character customization, but yeah, still not going to play it yet!

I don't have any time off until the weekend, and I'm stumped on what to play. I will most likely power through the rest of Chicory to get it done and then I'm stuck between wanting to play Legend of Mana or keep working on P5S. I'm also starting to miss raiding and messing around with pals on FFXIV. I might also bug my husband to help me kill some world bosses in Genshin, because they're a pain on my own and I need mats to level up Albedo and Venti, whom I've had for awhile but didn't make my core team, but now I want them for their killer combos and great exploration hacks.

I seriously need more time off to do the things I want looool. ;w;
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Currently playing:

Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir (Switch)
Game Builder Garage (Switch)

Up next:

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy (Switch) ((Currently on the first game out of the three included))

So, played a bit more Game Builder Garage. I got through the first game and first checkpoint in the interactive lessons. I'm pretty excited to continue playing.

Also, I made it to Chapter 6 in Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir. Having so much fun with that game, too.

I decided to put Alba: A Wildlife Adventure on the backburner until I either restart the game (on a new save file), or a fix comes for the Switch version (and hopefully the PC version, too).

Also, I just bought World's End Club (the full game) at full price. But I was really excited for it, and really enjoyed the demo. But, what's the point of the demo if it says in the beginning (when you first start up a new game on the full game), that there's new collectibles added that you might have missed in the beginning? That makes the demo a little pointless if you want all the collectibles/to experience everything.

Games I bought recently:
World's End Club (Switch)
Fossil Corner (Steam/PC)
Luna's Fishing Garden (Steam/PC)
Clawfish (Steam/PC)
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Finished Chicory before my work shift today. I only had a tinsy bit left storyline wise and then I was hit with the credits. Overall, it's a very creative indie with a lot of love put into it. I don't ever see myself playing it again or doing 100% completion, but I enjoyed it. I did kickstart it so I'm glad it wasn't a disappointment (managed to catch my name in the backer credits as they flew by at mach five). I backed it because I liked Wandersong and Night in The Woods and I think I'm satisfied with this little 2D Zelda focused on painting and life expectations. Off my backlog it goes.

I don't think I'm going to manage to sleep tonight. Despite telling them to stop, my work has yet again given me a back to back night to morning shift. I need time to unwind after my work, and when they do this I need to immediately go to bed when I get home, and I will just not be able to sleep, I know my rhythm well enough to know this. So, I'm going to instead just stay up and playing FFXIV with my friends. If I fall asleep during, cool, if I don't then whatever. I would rather be doing something than just laying in bed watching hours tick by in frustration. If Legend of Mana unlocks at midnight, I may play around with it too. After my shift tomorrow, I'll crash and get my lost Zs back, hopefully.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:
Mikodesu wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeahhhh! I found this too and got insta warm fuzzies~!
I dunno why I got so much more attached to the Bard than Pizza. She's cute, but they're cuter? No idea.

Good to see Chicory ended up satisfying. Doesn't have to be perfect, but...you can at least know you helped keep a small group of devs working through a really « Cow Poopy » year. Hell of timing for that Kickstarter.

Not that this isn't obvious but...your work seriously needs to treat you better, Bluie! :/ I dunno if it's worth the effort of searching but, SO many places need workers right now that maybe something a little more ideal might be workable? They should at least be paying you what you're worth for all the « Cow Poopoo » they put you through. >_> Either way I hope things get better soon!

--
Personal notes on Chicory, I think the game is still growing on me? It's a much slower burn than Wandersong, which is good and bad? Had a story moment last night that made me tear up, but I'm pretty easy to make cry. :lol:

I guess it largely depends on how much you enjoy exploring an overworld and puzzle solving. That's honestly more of the game than its story, so I think people who enjoy that will end up enjoying the game more than people who don't like puzzles at all. Maybe the paint bucket should be a brush style you get (early) in the story and not through exploration (I can't remember for sure tbh) but for people who don't enjoy coloring it helps a lot.

I'm enjoying most of the collectathon + quests though. There's another indie darling character in this game too (you're a nice boy, Greg) that I won't spoil. It was cute to see, not as much of a *GASP* as Oshiro though. I'm in the home stretch story wise but I'm enjoying side quests so it'll be at least a week before I'm done with it.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah, it's beyond obvious that they're wringing me dry in the name of making another dollar. I'm still classified as part time but they're working me like a full timer. They're doing the same thing to the other part time too and are refusing to hire more people because 'we should be able to handle it' and 'we can't allot any more hours to your section', which seems like utter bull, honestly. Yesterday and today they dropped on us that were adding 10+ more products onto what we already make and my coworkers and I about lost our minds. We won't be able to keep up and we told them that we'd start looking for new jobs if they don't give us more workers.

Personally, I'm going to tell them to either give me full time or put me back to my part time hours, because it's really unfair to me that I'm being worked like this against my current title. Either pay me like a full timer or lessen my hours. It's that simple, but the boomer managers around here are off their « Cow Poopies ». I'm wondering if I could go higher on the ladder and report them or something.

Ah well, my break is almost over. Thanks for your concern! :>
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I wish you could really have worked at my parents' place, Bluie. They really love the employees they have that give a hoot about their work and don't leave them high and dry at a whim. If they keep doing this to you, don't stay there, okay? You have sleep problems already and this must be making it worse. You're obviously a good worker, so any place would want you.

~

Had my second vaccine shot today and my arm hurts all the way up into my neck. My neck is actually seizing on me, lol. Ow. Guess it's time for some Tylenol! I'm finding it rather hard to type anything with my left hand atm.

~

Finished London Detective Mysteria! Including the Grand ending, at last. (In my original play I only got all the 'destined' endings for each character and then gave up on finding the more obscure routes.) I had heard that the grand ending was unsatisfying, and boy, was that accurate. It does fill in some stuff...but it also opens this gaping hole I'm not sure how to feel toward.

I also found myself unsatisfied by some of the characters. Sherlock Homes' stories are things I read as a teenager, and loved. I've also read a few passages from the Arsene Lupin stuff (though I find it aggravating to read so...not too much!) and the otoge does NOT do these characters or the story justice. The writing is too shallow. I mean, it's quite good, compared to most otoges, tbh. But compared to actual literature, it's terribly wanting. I'm thinking in particular of how ridiculous it is to expect us to believe that just putting on a pair of glasses could disguise someone from an entire world full of extremely intelligent and above-averagely-perceptive people. A pathetic trope like that might be okay in superhero comic books, but they just couldn't fly in the original stories that the characters come from. It was things like that that made me feel that characters crafted by people as ridiculously meticulous as Arthur Conan Doyle just don't belong in an otome game.

I prefer original characters in otoges, I guess, not ones lifted from famous literature. Even if they very shallowly shift the world a little by saying that these are the carbon-copied children of those famous people rather than the people themselves...it's just not convincing.

Though I'd say again that this is actually a very good otoge. Better than average. Lupin and Jack are the most interesting, of course, though I don't prefer them as romantic partners for Emily.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

@kikki

My teeth ached, for a whole day one of the days after i got mine. I hope your neck feels better soon.

I played some more ikenfell the other day and made it to the next chapter. I'm halfway through the game I think? If I spent a little time each day playing this game (and also crosscode so I can get through the puzzle dungeon I don't like) I'd probably finish it sooner. Having a hard time playing my computer games though. Feeling a little restless?

I've been playing my ds games too. Played a little bit of pmd gates to infinity. Want to go back to town to check if anyone has anything new to say before I go onto the next dungeon. I'm still really early in. I should probably play some ever oasis too but, don't really feel like it. I've also been progressing In digimon a little bit here and there. Hoping I can play some more cold steel soon. I also really want to play monster hunter stories. I don't know if should download the demo or not. I already have the game preordered and I'd have to make a trip upstairs with my switch to make sure it even downloaded since the internet is finicky and works the worst on my switch and PlayStation (and ds too I'm sure) when they're far away from the router.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thanks, Daikon Boy, my neck feels better this morning. My arm hurts like the dickens and I woke up even more sore than usual, but other than that, I think I feel pretty normal? We'll see once I get moving. Parents are off to Ottawa for the day so I'll be over there for grandma. Gonna make some apple pies, since that suits her, both for eating and as an activity.

~

I have the weirdest feeling that I have game news to report, but I think I just dreamed about gaming. I normally have no memory at all of dreaming, ever, so when it happens it feels weird, like an actual memory. I'm still a bit upset about how they ended Mysteria...I kind of regret going through the Grand ending and Epilogue. I should have stuck with just the Destined endings for each route character and the Charmed endings of the secondary characters.

I've got $20M in Farm Together...chard is a huge help in vacuuming in the gold ASAP. Took a while to unlock it, though! It's a level 60 unlock and I'm level 64 now. I'm now playing mostly just to unlock the whole map, and every field crop, tree, fish, animal and flower. I only have...
  • 1 field crop (Lvl 70)
  • 2 trees (Lv 65 and 70)
  • 10 animals (they'll take longer as they have unlocks in levels 80-100...useless low-profit livestock.)
  • Fish: COMPLETE!
  • 18 flowers. (Flowers are difficult because they're so expensive and low yield for being slow growing, so I only have ONE flower left that is locked by level and the rest are locked until I level the OTHER flowers up more by harvesting them lots of times.)
  • I have 20 of 49 possible farm plots. (I just don't need this much SPACE. But I still want to unlock them...)
  • I think I want to build the max number of allowable houses, too. I have 1...I think I'm allowed 4.
~

Probably no gaming today. I think I'll likely be wiped out by the time I get home.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Talking about apple pie makes me really wish I had some apple pie, but I don't have any apples and we had to throw out the shady pie filling my grandma had stored in her cupboards that probably would have killed us if we ate it, so. I could make pumpkin pasties but everybody insists that making pie dough homemade is incredibly difficult and time consuming and impossible to do. We need to use the pumpkin up for something soon though.

Bought root letter and learning japanese to survive (katakana and kanji) because it was all so very cheap. The latter two are something else entirely.

Lots of games I really really want to buy, but I can't get, well, most of them. But I'm hoping to grab cold steel 2 at least, and I need to save all my money towards the most important games so only getting a small number of things (and no more cheap games) unless I magically find 50$ shoved in a drawer or something which is not something that will actually happen. But I should be grabbing cold steel 2 at least which is good.