Pokemon Legends: Arceus Discussion

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Speaking of bosses, I’m stuck on the cleaver. :/ rip me
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

The boss fights are primarily about running around dodging at the right times more than the traditional battling of Pokemon. Bad news, it gets progressively worse on the dodging your way through the boss fights. This is one of the big reasons my husband finally decided to drop his file as he's more of a fan of the strategy of the traditional Pokemon games than reflexes and collecting, so I will be working on finishing his file for him. The good news, that I didn't figure out until the final, final boss was that you can actually continue the battle and keep your progress on the balms bar instead of having to start out from scratch every time! For some bosses it helped me to hold the zl shoulder button to focus too, but not all. The camera can be as tricky as the dodging sometimes.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Shan O 123 wrote:Speaking of bosses, I’m stuck on the cleaver. :/ rip me
Try to time your dodges so that Kleavor runs into the big tree in the middle. That will briefly stun him so you can get close enough to throw balms.
Also, if he knocks you out you can choose to continue the fight. Your hp will be fully restored but his will not. You can keep doing that as many times as you need to and, eventually, you'll win.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah…..as for now, I QUIT!!

Lol I’m taking a break from this game for a little while.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

In light of the Pokemon Direct (which I didn't know about and so didn't see...I've been in another world, lol.) I thought I'd ask. I think everyone here liked Arceus, more or less. I haven't been reading this thread closely since I'm not playing the game, but...in general, anyone who finished it or got very close...what's your overall opinion? (I don't need a huge review or anything...even one line or two summarizing your opinion would be great.)

And how does this Pokemon Violet look, in comparison? Like it builds on Arceus, or something else?
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:In light of the Pokemon Direct (which I didn't know about and so didn't see...I've been in another world, lol.) I thought I'd ask. I think everyone here liked Arceus, more or less. I haven't been reading this thread closely since I'm not playing the game, but...in general, anyone who finished it or got very close...what's your overall opinion? (I don't need a huge review or anything...even one line or two summarizing your opinion would be great.)

And how does this Pokemon Violet look, in comparison? Like it builds on Arceus, or something else?
I loved Pokemon Legends Arceus! I loved the characters, the story, the focus on catching Pokemon with battling being a minor part of it, I just have a lot of fun playing. That being said, there are a few things I feel I should mention. The game can be a bit glitchy at times; I have seen Pokemon randomly levitate into trees or rocks, and catching Pokemon on the water is awful. I've also had a few friends who sadly were unable to play because they couldn't handle the real-time boss battles, which is something to keep in mind. That being said, more than a few people said this game is kind of similar to Xenoblade in some ways, so this may be the best Pokemon game for you to try, Kikki.

As for Pokemon Scarlet/Violet, honestly we don't know. The little information we have is an idea of what the region looks like, the three starters, and some of the Pokemon. The Pokemon Company tweeted that it's supposed to be an open-world Pokemon game this time, which would build off of Legends Arceus more than Sword and Shield, but I have a feeling we'll be going back to the gym challenge, or something similar for Gen 9. They have a formula, and they do tend to stick with it. We'll have to wait for more trailers to give us more information before we can say anything definite about Scarlet/Violet.

Hope this helps!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Simply Unknown wrote:I loved Pokemon Legends Arceus! I loved the characters, the story, the focus on catching Pokemon with battling being a minor part of it, I just have a lot of fun playing. That being said, there are a few things I feel I should mention. The game can be a bit glitchy at times; I have seen Pokemon randomly levitate into trees or rocks, and catching Pokemon on the water is awful. I've also had a few friends who sadly were unable to play because they couldn't handle the real-time boss battles, which is something to keep in mind. That being said, more than a few people said this game is kind of similar to Xenoblade in some ways, so this may be the best Pokemon game for you to try, Kikki.

As for Pokemon Scarlet/Violet, honestly we don't know. The little information we have is an idea of what the region looks like, the three starters, and some of the Pokemon. The Pokemon Company tweeted that it's supposed to be an open-world Pokemon game this time, which would build off of Legends Arceus more than Sword and Shield, but I have a feeling we'll be going back to the gym challenge, or something similar for Gen 9. They have a formula, and they do tend to stick with it. We'll have to wait for more trailers to give us more information before we can say anything definite about Scarlet/Violet.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, simply :) Yes, any summary of the overall experience is helpful; I'm nowhere near being able to decide if I'd like it or not. Pokemon swish was very mediocre, and that's the only other game I've played before. It was okay, but I didn't like the battling style. The comparisons to BotW are beguiling, but I doubt it actually plays much like that, so I don't want to let it get to my head. I do think Pokemon are cute, and I like collecting, but traditional Pokemon gameplay doesn't really suit me so I continue to info-gather to try to figure out how much I'd like it.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Typically Pokemon games seem to be two pronged in their emphasis on both battling and collecting creatures. I have always enjoyed the collecting aspect more, hence my big horde in Pokemon Home. My husband likes the strategy involved in battling and building a team. Arceus' main focus is on the catching/collecting with very little in the way of trainer battles. I really enjoyed it because of the collection focus and the exploring, but had to grit my teeth through the boss battles. Found out it's a feature to be able to rebattle them post game; no thanks! My husband ended up not liking it and dropping it for several reasons. He didn't like the controls and camera very much, lack of battling, and of course the bosses. He wants me to finish it for him to get the new regional Pokemon though, lol.

It didn't remind me so much of BOTW as it did of Monster Hunter Stories 2, which I also enjoyed. Separate big open areas that connect to hub towns, in Arceus' case one town. There's still plenty of battling Pokemon, just not many trainers, but the encounters are not typically forced as you can see all the Pokemon in the overworld and run away or avoid them if you want.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I only played the demo of Monster Hunter stories 2. Liked it a lot, but didn't get it cuz I knew that style of battling would drive me batty before long and then I wouldn't want to continue.

I watched a review by 'Blunty' (I really like his voice and I find him very sensible, but you almost need to slow the video down a little to catch everything he's saying...it's like he's doing some recovery-day training to have a rap battle with Twista or Eminem. He also takes the entire video to get to the point, which I find aggravating. Blunt he may be, but succinct he is NOT.) and though he thinks the gameplay is great, and he thinks Pokemon isn't about the graphics, he seemed extremely bothered by pop-in and the short draw distance, that it was so bad that it was a continual distraction that ruined his fun with the gameplay. I do agree that anything that wants to present itself as exploratory or open-world should have a respectable draw distance, but I watched the video and...it didn't bother me? I do think it's pretty ugly for a game made by the a team with such a huge potential budget, but...

I did see rocks and trees and textures popping into view every time the camera shifted at a distance more than, say, 20 feet out from the character, but I didn't care about it. The textures were also sometimes laughably bad, but...didn't care about that, either. (Other than hating blobby or scattered, messy pixel graphics, I'm none too fussy about graphics, it seems.) None of it made me dizzy, and that's about the only thing that would be a deal-breaker for me. Notable lag, for example, can twist my head a bit and make me feel sick. I have played a few games that triggered my mild-to-moderate video game motion sickness. What I've seen of Arceus didn't, though.
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Saw the teaser for S&V. Kind of concerned that we are getting a new game so soon. Apparently Legends was a separate dev team & BDSP was outsourced/contracted by another company but still. I really hope it's not a rushed product and they aren't over working the dev company.

The duck and the cat are my favorite of the starters. I especially love Quaxly the duck tho!
JayDucky03
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Quaxly is king
Spoiler:
Last edited by JayDucky03 on Mar 07, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
JayDucky03
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Spoiler:
greensara wrote:The boss fights are primarily about running around dodging at the right times more than the traditional battling of Pokemon. Bad news, it gets progressively worse on the dodging your way through the boss fights. This is one of the big reasons my husband finally decided to drop his file as he's more of a fan of the strategy of the traditional Pokemon games than reflexes and collecting, so I will be working on finishing his file for him. The good news, that I didn't figure out until the final, final boss was that you can actually continue the battle and keep your progress on the balms bar instead of having to start out from scratch every time! For some bosses it helped me to hold the zl shoulder button to focus too, but not all. The camera can be as tricky as the dodging sometimes.
I'm somewhat more similar to your husband in that I prefer battling to catching so I did miss that a bit in this game, but the gameplay loop is just so fun that it grabbed me anyway. With my uni's midterms though I sadly have been taking an extended break. :(