Pet Names! What's your usual response!

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Once you're married in pretty much every HM/SoS game I can remember, your spouse asks you about pet names! And then immediately tells you to just keep using their actual name.

So what I want to know is: what's your go-to? Do you have one at all, or does it vary by candidate? And do you ever call your spouse a pet name in your head anyways?

Most games, I don't go for one; I tend to go for candidates where it feels like they'd be less likely to call you one of those more often than your own name. The exception is Julius, though; I can absolutely see him calling me "honey" more often than my farmer's actual name lol. I don't think I had Louis call me one in Magical Melody, but then, I married him about 10 years ago, lmao. If I went with one, I could see it being "dear"... nice and simple. And then on the flip-side with my most recent fictional husband, for some reason I keep instinctively just calling Rick "babe". Lmao.

This is about the candidates, but y'know what, if you read this and thought about what you name your dogs and cats in game, go ahead and shoot that out here too if you want :P
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Dear, Darling, Sweetie, or just my name.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I can't tolerate when the game uses an endearment inappropriately. Babe, for example. If the spouse were to say "Good morning, Babe!" that's great, though I don't like that it's capitalized, since it's not a name. But I can bend far enough to accept that little blip. The problem comes in other circumstances, such as when they're talking about you to someone else. Like "Where is Babe?"

UGH. No. I just can't stand that. It looks and sounds wrong and stupid, to me.

So the only 'endearment' I let my chosen one use is not an endearment at all, but a nickname. I give my character a long enough name that it can be short-formed. My favourite name in these games is Cricket...I almost always use that on my first playthrough. I choose to have the spouse call my character 'Kit'. That way it's actually a name, so it's not wrong when it's capitalized all the time, and it's also still normal for them to call you that event to others. It's simply their nickname for you, not an endearment like honey or babe. Everyone else is still calling you by your full name but your darling is calling you by something special, and I like that.
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I generally don't have my character be referred to by a pet name, because it replaces the my character's name in the eyes of my chosen love interest for the rest of the game. I think I may have used a pet name in RF4, but I don't remember what it was. I think my character called Vishnal "Sir Vishnal," however, as his pet name.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I usually don't use them, because I don't like them IRL either, but the ones in RF4 were the exception. The suggestions were so funny to me. I picked the most absurd ones and never regretted it, though I can't remember what they were now.
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I can't do petnames in most games because I hate that it completely replaces your name. I can tolerate it if there's an option to add a nickname, like a shorter version of your name or something? Like shortening Angela to Angel, or Margaret to Maggie, things like that. But otherwise, definitely not.

I think the only option I ever chose to call someone else was calling Leon Leo in RF4.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I’m also in the camp of not liking pet names irl so I don’t do them in games either. I get weirded out by spouses who are overly romantic in these games and pet names edge into that territory for me.