Backlog 2022

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

WoooooooooooaaaaaaaaaH! It’ll take me a little while to get used to the new looks of the forum, but it’s epic! I don’t have any updates on gaming; I just wanted to comment about the updated forum xD
One game that I’ve been playing and haven’t mentioned is Trivia Crack. I play with my British friend and we like to talk on there. If anyone else likes to play Trivia Crack, my username is Madison_The_Martian
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Yeah, the new look is something. Not a lot going on. Decided I am not finishing DQB for a while since I can't beat the stupid golem in the first area! Seriously, that's the first boss! I am so glad you can level up and so many other improvements in DQB2. Pokemon Home is fixed now, so hooray! I can access my collection again, and they are offering a peace offering of ten extra subscription days to appease everyone's anger. I'm so glad. I don't know if I am ready to be done with Pokemon yet.

Kikki, if you are still looking for "exploring" games, I quite liked the traveling and exploring the map aspects of Ni No Kuni 1 and 2, but especially 1. It is more of an RPG than what would be considered an exploring game though. Number two is pretty special to me in the way it helped me through a pretty dark time when I was bingeing it. My grandmother passed away a few months ago and I was a mess. It still hurts, but it was nice to have a relatively light-hearted fantasy to lean on for a bit while sorting things out, so thankfully my grief hasn't turned into depression. I'm sorry for your loss of your dad too. Hopefully you will find your next game soon.
cinnamon_yuki
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I'm suppose to finish my backlogs but I found myself going back to my BW games, I'm in the middle of Dragon Age 2 second playthrough and almost done with my second PT of Mass Effect 1 on Insanity. The modding community of ME are so active.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The new forum look...well, I'm somebody who overall doesn't like change, lol, and I had no problems with the existing forum to begin with, so to me, it's just uncomfortable, right now. I miss having the topic title at the top of every post...I don't like having to scroll to the top of the page to see what topic I'm on. Haven't yet discovered anything I like about this new design more than the old design. So basically for me it's just an adjustment to something I didn't need or want any adjustment in. (I know this forum has two designs...I've always used the yellow and green UNoT one, not the 'prosilver' one, so if any of you are using prosilver, tbh, I don't even know what the forum looks like to you, now!)

Thing is, I know the adjustment wasn't made for users like me, but rather for people on mobile, which is probably a huge amount of people, so I just have to get used to it, because it's for the best. I appreciate the effort Cherubae goes to to keep this forum alive, that's for sure! It'll just take me a few days to get used to this one :)

Thanks, greensara...so sorry to hear about your grandmother! I'm really sorry if you posted about that before and I didn't notice it. :( Or if maybe I did notice at the time but had already forgotten! I'm afraid my mind has been in a tizzy for the last four months. But the weirdest thing to me so far is that I am not a mess at all. No one in my family is, though I've no way of knowing for sure if they're more perturbed on the inside than I am. And we're a very close-knit family and saw each other often, so I don't really get it, since I am neither 'numb' nor in denial. But that's what particularly makes me want to say that a few months isn't very long at all! So it probably still feels new, to you. I can tell that in a few months, my dad being dead is still going to feel very freshly weird. I figure it may take me a few months before I even get to the stage of missing him!

I've played both of the Ni No Kuni games, sort of. I've tried them both, I should say. I played the first but really didn't like it and gave it away to a friend without completing it. I quite liked the second game :) I've forgotten almost everything about it, though, and I don't remember it feeling like an exploration game, so I need to open it back up again and refresh my memory! I'd totally be willing to play it again, particularly given I can't remember anything about it except a tiny bit about building your town.

Thanks for the suggestions :) All suggestions on exploration games will definitely be looked into! I just really want a cute or beautiful world to wander around in/explore. It kind of carries over even from real life. Exploration was one of the things that made cycling my favourite activity...finding a new little side road to go down was always so invigorating. I may have to go back and give Horizon another shot if I don't find something else, though I dislike it's sci-fi feel. (I love fantasy, but have always borderline hated sci-fi. I can deal with space a little, sometimes...I like Star Trek! though I don't like when they're talking about warp coils or dilithium chambers or wormholes...but not with ultra-modernized technologically-advanced gunk.)
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Speaking of Ni No Kuni, the MMO just launched a few days ago.

https://ninokuni.netmarble.com/en

I may be tempted to try the PC version whenever I get around to upgrading, but I don't want to clog up my phone with more than one big game at a time. Shame it's not on consoles.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Wow, that actually looks better than I thought for a mobile game. Unfortunately, it is yet another that is not compatible with my phone.

No worries, Kikki. I am typically a more private person about that type of thing, I just wanted to emphasize how much I liked Ni No Kuni 2, and how gaming was a good outlet for my grief and likely other people's too. That said, I will likely be putting off trying games like Spiritfarer (which I previously had my eye on) for some time, as I still don't think I could deal with them.

I think I am probably going to try to finish my husband's Arceus file next, as the gift starters will really help his team.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ha ha...yeah. :) I am actually an EXTREMELY private person. In person. Online is the only place I feel free to talk. (And really only applies to here, and in emails to friends/family.) Compounded by the fact that I have trouble both speaking and understanding the spoken word...my brain simply stops being unable to process words taken in by audio, after a little while. I was talking to my bro-in-law, who had just finished Horizon Forbidden West and was telling me about the story, and I gradually just stopped being able to follow what he was saying. It's like...I had stored the maximum number of words that could fit in through my ears and no more could get in. I don't know how to describe it in a more intelligent way, lol. He used a word like vibrant, or some other V word, and I simply couldn't remember what it meant. (I still don't know if this is a complication of MS or not, but I wasn't like this as a child or a teen or in my early twenties, so it did start some time after I got diagnosed.)

I NEVER have that problem when reading. I know sometimes I blabber too much overall, but when I really want to convey something, I'm usually able to do so fairly well. I feel like when I want to be understood, I can make myself be so, in writing. I never feel like I can make myself understood, when speaking. So for the most part, I don't bother.

The end result is that I talk very little IRL and you guys end up with the fabulous privilege of my three-mile-long posts, lol.

Yes; I don't advise Spiritfarer to anyone who is feeling more sensitive than usual. I played it while I was looking after grandma, and completed it a week or two before Dad took his turn for the worst (he lived about a month after that, but I remember when the turn was...when he came out and was surprised to see me, because he said he'd been dreaming that I was gone out with my aunt...I don't even know what I thought was so wrong with that, but I knew on the spot that something was really wrong with him.) I had trouble dealing with the TWO demented (I mean that word in the literal, medical sense) characters they put in there...it was way too raw, when I was dealing with a grandmother with aggressive dementia. Don't know how I'd feel about it now that dad has died, but sending the characters off might be more uncomfortable than ever.

The mobile game does look beautiful, and I'd try it, but I can't play on PC (my laptop overheats with a game like Candy Crush) and I don't own a cell phone. My only tablet is about 8 years old and I can't see my way to getting another as I never used it anyway. Plus I simply do NOT enjoy playing games via touchscreen. I must have a controller with buttons on!

Well, in any case, thanks, greensara :)
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I'm super-into the new forum look! Easier for me to read, especially on my phone. A bit easier to reply that way too, though I find myself still opening on my laptop to reply. I'm terrible at typing on my phone. XD

I finished Ai: The Somnium Files. That was a RIDE.
Spoiler:
I really liked the Ota and Mizuki endings, and I was REALLY not into the Iris ending/path after that. Her ending felt super-off, and I still didn't like her character, though it was... odd to have it blown off on the other path as "she has an inoperable brain tumor, she's just like that now." I did not see the body swapping coming, despite the hints. Those last two paths revealing what was going on in the mystery were GREAT. The less believable part for me was the whole "he's a police officer moonlighting as an assassin, and no one cares" thing. It seemed weird to send Pewter to prison and let the assassin go, memories or no. XD
I really liked it overall. Excited to see the story in the sequel! Though I probably won't play it right away. Less excited about what looked like more complicated puzzles in the trailer, as I had to do those over and over and over and I hated them.

I basically only have the final boss to beat in Rune Factory 5, aside from the farming/quests I'm still working on. I'm also dating Ludmila! I am visiting my parents this weekend, and the longer play sessions I need for RF5 and Titan Quest were not available. I did play a bit more of Pokemon BD now that Pokemon Home is open. Cashed in Oak's Letter, but still haven't gone after Darkrai. I am also chipping away at Spiritomb, and mostly hanging out in the Underground.

Deciding what to play next... finally started Bit Orchard, which I really like, but it probably won't take too long to finish. I almost finished the third page of tasks in one sitting. I'll probably play an action game before I start another VN, as I have several in my backlog. ^_^; I'm thinking of doing Asha in Monster World. After that, I'll probably start Murder by Numbers.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Hi all. :) Hope everybody is managing okay. What a time to pop back in. Gonna take a bit to get used to this new layout. Cher did a great job knocking the update out, though!

I think I'm in a good enough place emotionally to be back regularly. I wanted to...abstain, until I could keep from doing nothing but complaining. Today was the first in 3 weeks that I've had off, and it's been great. Started the day with local donut shop donuts, had a nap, got a bunch of cleaning done. It being a holiday weekend has kept the construction folk away, but that's fine with me. It's plenty enough to reset my brain, and my attitude.

On the gaming front... I'm gonna try to go back to Builders 2 one or two more times, because I've got ONE more tablet challenge thing to knock out and I've never completed them all and being this close, I want the reward. *grabby hands* After that it'll probably get dropped again, because I've got another game to occupy me in the meantime.

I've been playing Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy for about a week and a half, I think? (Time is a flat circle.) The electrician « Snuggly Bunny » up one day and I was left without electricity on my side of the house for a day, so I pity bought to have a game on each console going. I'm really, really enjoying it so far. A couple frustrating puzzles, but that's par for the course. Without spoilers, it feels very much like a big wrap up type of story. A series love letter, basically. I can't for the life of me remember how big any of the other games are (it's been a while) but I'm 50 puzzles in and I THINK a third of the way through the story.

And in Elden Ring news... touched it for the first time in a month yesterday. And my reflexes are kinda okay! :lol: None of the late game bosses I've encountered have been fun, but I like the areas. For all of its terrible jank, I missed this game. So much.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The forum update appears to be doing what it was intended to do, which is be more mobile-friendly. That's good! I have nothing to do with mobile so it feels like the update has nothing for ME, but I don't think that matters...the easier the site is to use for the highest number of users, the more it'll get used!

I'm currently sorting out my Switch wishlist, trying to find some reliable game like XCX or DQB2...one of those games you can always go back to (at least until you've played 1000+ hours and have worn every scrap of content to dust) that I can always have in the background if my current gaming and/or life funk is making RF5 feel too demanding of my mental resources to be fun.

My debate between Astroneer and No Man's Sky.
Spoiler:
No Man's Sky (out 'Summer 2022', so possibly as late as September) and Astroneer (already out) seem pretty similar to each other, except Astroneer is a bit 'cuter'. From what I gather, Astroneer has more of a focus on crafting and base-building (and terrain manipulation) and is somewhat easier, which most people seem to count as a positive rather than a negative. NMS seems more exploration driven, but not as fun. Will keep both on my list but give the edge to Astroneer, I think. Surprisingly, Astroneer apparently has the more interesting (or at least more mysterious) story. That's what I've gleaned from what I've read from non-spoiler discussions, anyway!

Another big point in it's favour is what a few complained about...Astroneer has no scares. The 'scariest' things about it is running out of oxygen, and fall damage. I DON'T WANT SCARES. I hate them! I won't play Subnautica because of them, and the same applies to Outer Wilds, which to my disgust is apparently in the 'horror' category. (I mean, yay for those who like horror! But BOOOOOO for me!) NMS is surprisingly a game of farming, which is a big plus, but Astroneer is called calm and soothing, and I don't want the nervous type of excitement a survival game usually holds. AND Astroneer is available NOW while NMS may not be available for up to 4 more months (more if there is a delay.)
I added Minecraft to my list, as well, though I still have serious doubts about it.
Spoiler:
I have actually tried Minecraft, years ago. It was SO UGLY, I couldn't get into it. This is my reality, lol. When playing it, it was just a screen full of blurry, blocky mosaic, to me. Nothing looked much like anything, to me...it was just an ugly mess of pixels. To me, it was like the only point was to move around one ugly mess into a different ugly mess...the graphics are that unappealing to me.

I don't know that I feel any different now, I'm just more desperate for gameplay that'll really suit me. I was looking through DLC and some of the packs look like they'd made much more attractive blocks than the ones that exist in the base game. I sure wish that Minecraft looked as good as Dragon Quest Builders, though! I am okay with the block-building part, but I am NOT okay with the pixelated look. But Minecraft has been a mega-seller for 10+ years, perhaps the most successful game ever...people play it for many years, for hundreds upon hundreds of hours. I can't help but feel like I have to give it MORE of a try, but...second-guessing myself never seems to work out. I always turn out to have known myself well enough to have made that judgement.

Yet I always want to try a bit more to make SURE I didn't make my judgement too soon, lol. I'm trying to think of any game, right now, that I TRIED, decided I didn't like it...then tried it again later to a deeper extent and ended up liking it after all. Unfortunately I can't come up with a single name. I think there was a book like that, once. Oh wait, yeah! It was Lord of the Rings, which I found boring when I was 15, but LOOOOOOOOVED when I was 17, went on to read it more than 20 more times.
Well, Astroneer and Minecraft are at the top of my list to try next, anyway, and No Man's Sky will be near the top when it releases. They're both pretty affordable; half the price of a regular AAA game at most (though I'd need at least the one DLC pack for Minecraft to make it look tolerable, I'm pretty sure.) Dunno what NMS will cost, but my purchase isn't conditional on that. A low price just makes it easier to take a chance on a game you're not sure of, that's all.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Welcome back, Mikodesu! I’m glad to hear that you’ve been enjoying Azran Legacy. I’m hoping to start the game myself once I finish Apollo Justice. It might be a little while since I’ve been too tired at night to make progress with this game. This week, I’ve been falling asleep while listening to the Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright soundtrack (specifically the song “After Hours.” I love all of the music from both Professor Layton and Ace Attorney, but I think the soundtrack from Professor Layton and the Curious Village might be my favorite). Anyways, I caNnOt wait to see my man Desmond. I understand the frustration over the puzzles 😂

WhOOp, just a few minutes ago I defeated the Rune Sphere dragon….Terrable? Tomorrow I plan on hunting down the Sechs and finish them off. Forte and Amber (who is in a swimsuit 😂) are accompanying me on my journey.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

@FarmingForDays:
Thanks for the welcome back. :) That's very sweet. I think you'll enjoy Azran Legacy when you get to it. It'll be worth the wait! And I'm with you on the soundtracks. Curious Village is pure nostalgia at this point, though, so I might be a little biased there. :lol:

--
@Kikki:
It felt a little late for my butting in on the game suggestions, but...here we go! The only point I can give for No Man's Sky is the work Hello Games has put into it to make it better. From what I understand they've put a lot more effort into base building and crafting and such, though your enjoyment might depend on the type of planets you find. Worth waiting until Switch reviews drop to see the final verdict, at least.

For your Outer Wilds complaint, the horror element is based on the endemic life on one of the planets. It depends on how scary you in particular find it, but you do have to explore everywhere to beat the game, so...

It's a mild spoiler, but...
Spoiler:
A whole bunch of giant anglerfish live in the inside of one planet. Navigating around them is doable, but can be pretty spooky.
--
Today was an Elden Ring day. I've unlocked 2 of the last 3 "Legacy Dungeons", as the community is referring to them. At this point I'm torn as to if I'd enjoy the rest of the series for how exhausting legacy dungeons are. From what I've been told the difficulty tuning is MUCH better in all the other games because it's a more controlled experience, but...

I really, really like being able to flee to the overworld and explore. To be able to summon an NPC to help me when things get tough. It's the only reason I've gotten this far. I've beaten a few fights that were spoiled for me only for the dread they induce in the player base.
Spoiler:
Godskin Duo is now in the bin where they belong. :D With Bernhal and a summon they were VERY manageable, honestly.
If I'm being a complete « Cow Poopoo », I kind of hope Nintendo is using their extra time on BotW2 to make tweaks to the game based on the response to Elden Ring. There's only so much that can be done at this point, but. It's kind of amazing that it took 5 years for a game to take what BotW did and improve on it, to BECOME the new standard.

There's a lot that frustrates me about the game still (just did this little puzzle dungeon tonight that was for half the time a NIGHTMARE because there were so many enemies designed to annoy--invisible enemies, snipers). But when it trusts me to figure things out myself, and I do, I'm in awe.
Spoiler:
Last night I figured out how to get to the Consecrated Snowfield, all on my own. It just occurred to me, eventually, after I'd gotten the last secret medallion to activate a lift of a different name that I couldn't find... I had a lift. We're at the top of the mountain now, what if the other medallion makes it go down? And it did. And I just clapped a hand over my mouth watching a very similar cutscene play, and pop me out at in a new little dungeon.

Quickly run through the thing, get out the other side into the blizzard that is the snowfield, and it occurs to me... boy that was short. So I go back, and there's a whole area below, on invisible platforms you have to navigate to get you down to enemies and items and a boss!
I really hope this game gets DLC. More game with the kinks worked out would be THE BEST.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Gotten a good chunk into Necrobarista on Switch. What I like about it is its presentation, art style, and music. The story itself is OK so far, but the characters are kinda... I don't know how to put this but, unbelievable? Like, the dialog is way too witty/snappy with EVERY character. One character would be fine or two bouncing off eachother, but no, every single character has a witty comeback all the time like a comedy routine. Real people do no talk like this. I know this is a work of fiction but I've played so many VNs that engross me with their writing style and unique characters, and this just isn't it. « Snuggly Bunny » Umineko is at bare minimum a 100 hour romp and it had me hanging on every word the whole way through. If your 5 hour VN has me rolling my eyes at every interaction, you may want to consider toning down the snark in your life.

I heard the dev is kinda an outspoken « Pumpkin Kisser », so that may explain a few things. Gonna try to finish it up sooner than later so I can just be done with it.
Reyvin
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Hello :)

I've been following this topic like a ghost for over a year before I decided to make an account. So thanks for contributing... a lot to my gaming backlog cause I've gotten ideas for some great games to buy just by lurking here. :lol:

My current backlog is too big and I can't make myself stop falling victim to Steam sales and the like. The ones I'm currently playing from my list of about 50 not yet finished games are:
Spoiler:
Rune Factory 5
Shin Megami Tensei V
Monster Hunter: Rise
Dairoku: Agents of Sakuratani (almost done)
Deponia Collection
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
Trails in the Sky 3rd
This year, I'm still most looking forward to Xenoblade 3, Fire Emblem Three Hopes and Trails from Zero - since I never played it.

It's nice to meet all of you and I'm looking forward to being part of the board :washu:
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hey, welcome, Reyvin :) Always nice to add a new regular to the Backlog thread, so hopefully you'll be around enough for us to get to know you! :) Nice to see Fie around here; she was my favourite girl in Class VII.

~
Mikodesu wrote: May 29, 2022 9:21 pmIt felt a little late for my butting in on the game suggestions, but...here we go! The only point I can give for No Man's Sky is the work Hello Games has put into it to make it better. From what I understand they've put a lot more effort into base building and crafting and such, though your enjoyment might depend on the type of planets you find. Worth waiting until Switch reviews drop to see the final verdict, at least.

For your Outer Wilds complaint, the horror element is based on the endemic life on one of the planets. It depends on how scary you in particular find it, but you do have to explore everywhere to beat the game, so...

It's a mild spoiler, but...
Spoiler:
A whole bunch of giant anglerfish live in the inside of one planet. Navigating around them is doable, but can be pretty spooky.
Thanks, Mikodesu :) I like that NMS has farming, but for me that's the only point it has over Astroneer. Everything else pushes me toward Astroneer, so far. Really not sure about Outer Wilds. I haaaate jumpscares.

~

I think I may reeeeeeeeeally want to play XC3 by the time it comes out, especially if I find nothing else to fill that exploring itch. If there's anything Monolith Software does as well as or better than anyone else, it's gorgeous, interesting worlds. Oh please, Monosoft...I KNOW you're gonna bug me with all the teeheeboyslikeTandA! you'll add to this with skimpy costumes only on the girls (or on guys who've been sexualized much more the way guys like to see than the way women do. Basically as huge lumps of ugly gnarled meat, ala Vandham) and cutscenes focused inexplicably and ridiculously on the ladies' keisters and boobs. But PLEASE, give this game great exploration! Give me lots of scenic viewpoints and secret locations that you get big boosts of EXP by finding. Stuff that looks awesome in screenshots. Give me compelling reasons to want to explore even beyond that, too, like doing archeological research and so on, ala XCX. Make the exploration really exciting again! I'll put up with XC3's version of Pyra's pontificating posterior if you do, and I'll make a slightly smaller fuss about the bags of fanservice for boys and men compared to a complete lack of the same for the many female fans. (I don't mind fanservice, as long as it is equal-opportunity. When all attractive people are objectified, it feels a little more natural, but when only women are objectified, it feels disgusting. Then it feels like the fanservice is not only not for me, but is also against me.)

Still thinking and thinking about No Man's Sky, Astroneer and Minecraft. I just don't think I'll like Minecraft. I don't think it even registers rooms the way DQB does...that there's no acknowledgement when you design a room for a function or anything. I think the only thing the same is that you build with blocks, and that means I won't have a reason to like it. :? Though I think the 'dungeons' content now has a story, if I'm understanding right.

I wonder if DQ3 Remake is a good sign for a potential DQB3 down the road (since DQB1's story was based on DQ1 and DQB2 was based on DQ2, and DQB3 would no doubt be based on the story of DQ3.) or if there's no reason to think it means anything at all. I suppose it probably doesn't. WAH.
Last edited by Kikki on May 30, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.