Do you create your own challenges for your HM/SoS games?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I understand that feeling, Terdin.

For me, ANB is getting that way. Making smaller challenges to keep it going. I probably won't bother trying to accomplish much with this one. The game makes everything more ridiculously complicated than it needs to be.The amount of blueprints you have to make, items to craft and random stupid items to collect just to be able to make a double bed is crazy. Even worse, a child's bed. Having to have three baby sheep born or wait until year 3 for Suffolk sheep to use the wool? I'm at the point of "Enough already!" Just getting getting married and having a kid in this game is a challenge. I totally regret deciding on this game. Next go around for a legacy, I will probably do myself a favour and skip it.
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Terdin wrote: Jun 22, 2022 6:03 am Haven't thought of doing a legacy challenge

I have, however, made something of a challenge for myself regarding ToTT, in that I'm trying to get the English titles for the farm ranks, and trying to see how many of the points I can keep track of for each rank.

For HMDS, I've set myself the challenge to woo the Witch Princess, to keep me from my tendency to start over when returning from a hiatus. This because I've seldom managed to get past one year of playing that game, before the lack of purpose beyond rescuing the HG made me easily sidetracked. It becomes a "I've rescued her, now what?" situation, and I find it a game where I have to set up rules and goals for myself to not fall for the allure of the early struggles.
For me it's like "I got married, now what?" then I keep playing, get pregnant and the baby is born. Then it's like "My kid is born, I'm done".

T-T
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Finding things to do post marriage and post child birth seems to be a problem for some players. I'm the same. By the time the kid is born, I've pretty much done everything for any goals, fully built up my farm and are really rich in G.

Maybe I should try to figure out some post-marriage/post-child birth related challenges. I should also edit my first post to link to the post that has the legacy challenge rules.
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

On this game my ultimate goal is to get the Mountain Cottage. The other are getting the mythic tools, kappa, goddess and truth jewels. Never got any of that playing MFoMT on GBA.
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

^ Same. Also the town house. I never got that on original FoMT. I've gotten it on both of my saves. Still yet to get the mountain cottage though.

I am playing around with a post-marriage/post childbirth challenge idea, but I'm going to wait until I finish my legacy first to test it out. When I'm done, I'm going to have a whole bunch of saves where I have a thriving farm, married and a kid. That will make things much easier, rather than having to rush a save to get married and get a kid just to work on the challenge. I will have plenty of time to work things out.
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I was reading some posts of people who reached year 50 post marriage and got the cottage. Although understandable, it's kind of a bummer to see that they slept through the years to get it.

I know, 50 years POST marriage, but still. It's not an accomplish to me if I didn't play it properly..
Terdin
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I too wouldn't feel it was an accomplishment to get that many years done without at least doing a minimum level of farming each day, like taking care of livestock or crops, depending on what I had going.

In a way, I see the farm degree as a better proof of accomplishment than what year I've reached, at least for the games where there is one. Sure, there are ways to game the farm degree, but I find it requires effort to do it, like doing stuff one at a time rather than in bulk.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I’ve slept through years before. I personally don’t blame that person who slept until year 50.
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

The furthest I got on the original FoMT was about 20 years of marriage, and I didn't sleep through any of them. I was trying to earn the money for the town house just by animal produce, but gave up because I got more HM games.

Finally moved on from ANB! I decided not to bother on finishing the restoration plan, now that the child is born. On to Gen 3 and Story of Seasons! I'm adding an extra challenge on this one, that I'm only allowed to use the farm land that I'm given at the start of the game. It will be interesting to see how effectively I can use the space to make a tea leaf and dairy farm.
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

When I used to play BTN I managed to reach year 10 married to Mary. Then I started over and married Popuri, and reached year 8. But back then (18 years ago) I only had a PS1 and BTN was kinda the only HM I had to play.. today we have so many options that I don't stick to the same version for long.
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

That is the same reason I played FoMT so much. I didn't have that many games to play at all back then. I only had a Gamecube, a Gameboy advanced and a PS2, and about ten games between them. So, I played the few I had a lot. Now, I have so many games and console options over many games including Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons. I probably wouldn't have gotten 20 years into marriage on my FoMT save married to Popuri, if I had gotten all the HM and SoS games I have now all at once back then.
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yup... truth is: we were kids/teenagers who didn't have jobs and money to buy our own games.. had plenty of time to play and few games. Now we're adults with jobs, some with families, and have lots of games and no time to play! LOL
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I’m going to keep track of my challenge here: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/the-legacy987

Posting it here so I don’t have to make a separate thread
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

If my brother or my cousin has the same game as I do (such as Hometown Story and HMDS), I just try to one-up them and accomplish everything at a faster rate 😂
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

FarmingForDaysMan wrote: Jul 01, 2022 8:45 pm If my brother or my cousin has the same game as I do (such as Hometown Story and HMDS), I just try to one-up them and accomplish everything at a faster rate 😂
LOL

Talk about a competitive person hahah

I'm not like that. I hate being competitive, because I'm really not commited on doing things, I loose interest pretty quickly XD