New and tentative game announcements (V2)

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

If you like fantasy-turned-to-sci-fi JRPGs, Star Ocean is a good series to take a peek at, and their newest (upcoming in October) game has a demo, downloadable today for those in the most advanced time zones, tomorrow for anyone behind that.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

This isn't the type of news I'd usually post, and I've never even played Terraria, but...this is the biggest update list I've ever seen. And on a game that's more than ten years old, too! So I'm posting it in honour of the pure 'wow' factor it had for me.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Alright, it's not Toukiden 3, but it may as well be.
I am very cautiously optimistic. It's completely developed by Omega Force, just being published by EA. I'll need to see more of it before I make any rash purchasing. I tease my husband ALL THE TIME over him preordering Anthem, and I know I should take a 'wait and see' stance towards this one. It feels like a dangling carrot, it is basically just Toukiden 3 gameplay/setting wise, but it'll most likely be lacking the fun characters/narrative that I love the series for too. Siiiiiigh, please be good!
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Title: Butterfly's Poison; Blood Chain Chains

Publisher: Prototype

Platform: Nintendo Switch

Game type: Visual Novel/Otome

Synopsis: A love tale of light and shadow set in the Taisho era

Rating: Rated M (in the US)

Release date/Release Window: October 2022

*The Taisho era is 1912 to 1926 in the western calendar.

This game looks really good. I'm excited for it.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm legit surprised we're getting Butterfly's Poison; Blood Chain Chains. I happened upon it during my Vita days when I would scour Play Asia for imports. Curious, I looked into it and found a collection of the CGs (from what I assume was the original PC release) and a fanblog detailing routes, fandiscs, ect. I have no way of knowing how edited the Switch release is or if it's modified at all, but there is a lot of « Chicken Hugging » in this game, not all of it being consensual. One of the bachelors is also the main heroine's brother who was literally in love with her since she was born. Because the game itself is a time piece it's also a lot of sexist tropes. Oh, also, the main heroine is kinda a dumbass apparently.

I'm not trying to discourage otome lovers against this one, but it may be a good idea to look into it a bit more before purchasing. Japanese name is Chou no Doku.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote: Sep 30, 2022 6:56 am I'm legit surprised we're getting Butterfly's Poison; Blood Chain Chains. I happened upon it during my Vita days when I would scour Play Asia for imports. Curious, I looked into it and found a collection of the CGs (from what I assume was the original PC release) and a fanblog detailing routes, fandiscs, ect. I have no way of knowing how edited the Switch release is or if it's modified at all, but there is a lot of « Chicken Hugging » in this game, not all of it being consensual. One of the bachelors is also the main heroine's brother who was literally in love with her since she was born. Because the game itself is a time piece it's also a lot of sexist tropes. Oh, also, the main heroine is kinda a dumbass apparently.

I'm not trying to discourage otome lovers against this one, but it may be a good idea to look into it a bit more before purchasing. Japanese name is Chou no Doku.
Oh, thank you so much for the warning. Maybe I won't get it. :o :(
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The Doraemon sequel has a DEMO now. (Steam, PS4...didn't find it on Switch but maybe it's in there somewhere. It's supposed to be...not sure why searching the eshop on my laptop yielded no results. It may only be available on the Japanese eshop atm, I'm not sure.)

Potionomics has also released a demo. (Steam only, afaik.)
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Potionomics is involved in the Steam "Next Fest" that's going on right now (Indie game promotion event that Steam does several times a year), so I don't know if that demo will be sticking around or not. For anyone who's interested, I'd say check their socials, or check it out this week. :)
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I didn't see the new Doraemon demo on the US eShop, but you can download it from the Japanese eShop and chose to play it in English. It seems a lot like the first game's demo to me gameplay-wise, but the new helper system might be nice. I think the artwork for the first one was prettier, but that's me. It seems like it should be an ok game, especially if you liked the first one, but I don't think this one is my cup of tea either.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's supposed to drop on the North American eshop too...it's just behind the Japanese one. I don't know how long a wait it'll be before it appears on our eshop, though. It's too bad I can't stand Doraemon characters, lol. The world's art style is lovely.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

New Pokemon Scarlet&Violet trailer just dropped.

Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So I know nothing about Pokemon. (I did play Shield, but I still feel like I know nothing about the series.) The giraffe in the monster hood really startled me as I wasn't even sure what I was looking at for a bit, but eventually I think I found it pretty cute, though I'm not sure WHY. I feel like a giraffe in a monster hood is a pretty unique pokemon, but I don't know if that's true or not.

I can't tell if the trailer is showing off a great Pokemon game or not. I only saw a bit and it looks pretty good to me, from the outside, but...how are actual Pokemon fans taking this?
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Just watched the Pokemon trailer and as a lapsed fan, I feel like it looks pretty good! There's still some out there Pokemon designs, but I feel like a lot of the new ones are more creative than usual? Natural, but still nice.

I like a lot of the quality of life improvements. Auto battling is a REALLY welcome concession. (Almost necessary at this point, imo.) The depth to character customization is better than it ever has been. I dunno, everything looks like a nice step up? Haven't decided yet if I'd rather play or watch somebody else play, but there's still time for that.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Most Pokemon fans are bellyaching per the norm every time a new trailer drops. Everyone seems to love Farigiraf but hate the way everything else looks ('lifeless', 'dated', 'runs poorly', ect). I've seen some minor excitement for the extra customization options and people memeing the heck out of the picnic feature. It's a tale as old as time as most of the complainers are going to buy the game anyways, and if they're not, they're in the vocal minority. Pokemon sells period. Game Freak would have to make something truly unplayable for them to stop selling over a million copies each time a new entry drops, especially now with fans that grew up with the series having their own income + the possibility of children of their own to share their interests with.

As for my personal opinion; it looks fun. People threw fits over Legend Arceus, and now it's everyone's favorite. Scarlet&Violet were clearly developed next to Arceus as they share a lot of the same groundwork. Like, I get it, people want a Pokemon with a Breath of the Wild budget, and Game Freak has the money to do it, but as a brand they're also on a schedule. TV, toys, cafes, ect, they all tie into the new games and if people really want a BotW Pokemon, they'd have to wait through a 5+ year development cycle, and currently that's not Game Freak's mojo. Since 1996, no more than year has gone by since a new mainline entry. This is how the series has ALWAYS been and I wish people would just get over it already. This works for Game Freak and they literally couldn't give less of a « Cow Poopoo » when the minority cries online about 'muh graphics' or 'this isn't what the fans want!!1!!' when money is clearly talking louder. For every disappointed fan they lose every generation, they gain countless more. Also, it's totally fine to grow out of a series or feel burnout. Game Freak isn't holding a gun to your head. There are other creature capture game alternatives out there now, they don't own the 'brand' and anyone is free to contest them (see: Yokai Watch). It's just that a lot of fans my age either fall into the 'I will play this and be miserable about it' or 'I'm playing this and I am enjoying it despite the flaws'. There's the third category of those picking up Pokemon for the first time, but this discussion has already gone past them.

As some one who burned out of Pokemon around 2009 and got back into it in 2013 (and have stayed with it since), I see the perspective of a variety of fans and can agree with both sides, but both sides can be equally irritating too. I love Pokemon, I love the games, especially on the Switch where they're quite varied between titles. They have a formula that works, that sells, and being content and happy about the series is better than sacrificing my happiness because they didn't do exactly what I or others want. Scarlet&Violet will be fun JRPGs and I'm very excited to play them.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Scarlet/Violet aren't taking after Arceus overall though, right? It seems to be back to regular turn-based combat? I do think the game looks nice but I'm betting I'd enjoy Arceus more if that's the case.

I put Arceus off my watchlist because I thought Scarlet/Violet would be in the same line, mechanically, and probably be a bit of an upgrade, so was going to wait and see and maybe get Violet instead of Arceus. But though Violet does have better looks overall, I think Arceus is probably closer to my play style.

It's not a priority right now with all the great games I've already got and more headed my way very soon, but I'm still thinking it over. It looks like they're going to be a hit, though.