Story of Seasons: AWL remake announced!

What happened to Murrey!? A remake of Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (2004) and Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (2005) for Nintendo Switch. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jan 2023. NA release = June 2023. EU release = June 2023.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I’ve already been disappointed and I expect to continue to be disappointed, but I’m still looking forward to this game 😂
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I'm the opposite. I continue to be impressed and excited by the game the more I see of it. I decided to break out the original AWL game, and played it most of last night. It seems I had forgotten just how difficult and bad the crops growing system is and a nightmare the invisible stamina system is. I noticed the trailer has drastically improved the crops and shows the stamina bar on screen. Looking forward to that. I hope crops bring in more money too, and can be shipped from the farm along with dairy. The shipping of items system wasn't that great either. It is strange how I seem to have forgotten all these flaws. Anything better than the original shipping is a drastic improvement because Takakura just ships dairy and nothing else.

I did see in some screencaps and trailers, that there was a second shipping box. That would be amazing. Much better for crops instead of having to choose between just keeping the crops to eat or getting a tiny not worth it pittance of G from Van.

Marriage candidates aside, is anyone else looking forward to or hoping for any improvements on other features?
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Rose Petals wrote: Sep 23, 2022 2:22 pmMarriage candidates aside, is anyone else looking forward to or hoping for any improvements on other features?
Well, one feature that was in the original that I'm glad was improved was washing the animals. In the original, you had to push your animals to the water trough to clean them. Now the water trough is gone and you wash them right then and there.

I am curious about the chapter system. While it was improved with AnWL and AWLSE where each chapter was a year, I hope it's milestones instead of playing through a year. You can miss out on random events if you move on too quickly.
fishifishie
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Rose Petals wrote: Sep 23, 2022 2:22 pm I'm the opposite. I continue to be impressed and excited by the game the more I see of it. I decided to break out the original AWL game, and played it most of last night. It seems I had forgotten just how difficult and bad the crops growing system is and a nightmare the invisible stamina system is. I noticed the trailer has drastically improved the crops and shows the stamina bar on screen. Looking forward to that. I hope crops bring in more money too, and can be shipped from the farm along with dairy. The shipping of items system wasn't that great either. It is strange how I seem to have forgotten all these flaws. Anything better than the original shipping is a drastic improvement because Takakura just ships dairy and nothing else.

I did see in some screencaps and trailers, that there was a second shipping box. That would be amazing. Much better for crops instead of having to choose between just keeping the crops to eat or getting a tiny not worth it pittance of G from Van.

Marriage candidates aside, is anyone else looking forward to or hoping for any improvements on other features?
I'm so in the same camp, everything I see about this game makes me more and more excited (except for not getting Flora as a candidate).

I recently went back to AWL:SE as its the only edition of the game I own. A major improvement that I hope they offer is maybe overhauling cooking? While I enjoy the experimentation factor that allows you to combine vegetable a and vegetable b to make a dish I'm not a fan of having to wait for a new chapter to be able to unlock the ability to cook new dishes.
Somerandom
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Firstly, I offer my condolences to the Flora fans. It’s kind of surprising that she isn’t a bachelorette to be honest. To me this indicates we probably won’t be getting Carter, Daryl or Skye as bachelors. We seem to be seeing a lot of Cecelia… that to me isn’t a red flag just yet as they haven’t really introduced many of the candidates yet, most SoS games let us pick whoever we want anyway so here’s hoping that they don’t pull a Rune Factory 5 and do what they did with Priscilla, that seriously annoyed me.

Interesting to see how most people care more about the appearance of the bachelors and bachelorettes in this new game as opposed to what they would do with their personalities. The main reason why the girls work better than the guys within the story of the game is that I can see the MC marrying most of the girls. They have interesting personalities and backstories, the guys… not so much.

Also the localisation. Ever since the mineral town remake, I feel like the dialog and characterisation (especially in English) hasn’t been as good. I personally am not a fan of Jennifer, in hindsight she feels like a PoOT character that got lost in mineral town. A few of the recent blunders when it comes to dialog include a lot of the responses to heart events in mineral town being stupid and punny answers that are impossible to take seriously. I wouldn’t have a problem if some of them weren’t so ridiculous, for example in Karen’s heart event with the food the correct response is “grub me up”… who even says that? In RF5 the option “change gender” really should have been called “change appearance” because it doesn’t change the gender of your character (pronouns etc), but only the appearance and voice clips are the opposite gender. To make this worse Eliza goes “ooh, this is who you really are” or something to that extent which is very misleading.

I’m not saying the Natsume localisations are masterpieces (they often have quite a few errors)but I want there to be less cringeworthy puns.
Anna_Lynn
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Rose Petals wrote: Sep 23, 2022 2:22 pm Marriage candidates aside, is anyone else looking forward to or hoping for any improvements on other features?
Things I'm hoping for:
-Some sort of link-up to the Mineral Town remake, kind of like a callback to the original game linking with the GBA game.
-Secret diary locations returning. I have a feeling the developers will just add an asset screen that we can look at to view everyone's heart levels though...If not, I hope villagers still turn their heads to look at you if they're your friends.
-Since the daughter is an option, I wonder if Mr. Pots will return? It would be nice if the odds were 50/50 for having a son or daughter, but keep in Mr. Pots for the option of picking one gender over the other for players who specifically want the choice. I'm also hoping for the daughters to resemble your spouse this time around.
-The creepy sentient teddy bear you buy from Van in chapter 3.
-The ability to still open a shop, kind of near the blue bar I think was the location?
-Voice clips/noises when interacting with characters.
-I'm very interested to know if they'll add a proper wedding this time around? You never really got a ceremony, you just kind of walked around the valley with your future spouse in your normal attire.
-I hope sheep produce their wool faster than once every 10 days. That or make them milk-able with pregnancy.
-Speaking of pregnancy, I hope more than one animal can be pregnant at a time.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Anna_Lynn wrote: Sep 23, 2022 5:56 pmI'm also hoping for the daughters to resemble your spouse this time around.
Good news: this has already been confirmed.
Spoiler:
Image Nami's daughter
Image Cody's daughter
crazy cat lady
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Ronin19 wrote: Sep 24, 2022 1:41 am
Anna_Lynn wrote: Sep 23, 2022 5:56 pmI'm also hoping for the daughters to resemble your spouse this time around.
Good news: this has already been confirmed.
Spoiler:
Image Nami's daughter
Image Cody's daughter
Oh my « Harvest Goddess » they are so cute! Makes me want to marry Nami even more look at that little baby!
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Somerandom wrote: Sep 14, 2022 3:59 pm I’m not adverse to new things but the pink cows make me worry about what else they will add to “better” the game. The original game was dark and is meant to be slightly more realistic than FOMT and POOT, again this style isn’t for everyone but changing it completely will upset fans of the original. I wonder how well this game will sell considering it was controversial upon its original release and POOT was the most recent game.
This is a super late reply, but I've noticed something about the "pink" cows. I think the cow people are talking about is the one in this screenshot, right?
Spoiler:
To me, that just looks like the marble cow (I think?) from the original, which also had pinkish spots, and not the strawberry cow from FoMT. The few black spots seem to support this.
Spoiler:
That's not to say there definitely won't be any added cows, I'm just not sure that that cow is the strawberry cow like some people have said.
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

To add on to the discussion about the cows in the original, I can confirm there were actually 4 breeds of cow in the game. (I had forgotten this, but am literally playing this game right now as I type this post.) Those breeds were; normal, brown, marble and star. The milk that came from it actually had purpose and use, unlike the Coffee, Strawberry and Fruit cows from SoS:FoMT. I think it was based on how much the produce sold for, like star milk being the best. I don't know about cheese, because I never got far enough to have the produce room. Money is crazy difficult to make in this game--a detail I hope they improve on. I digress. Back on to the topic at hand. The cows in this screencap we are talking about, I see a brown cow right at the back. This "pink cow," if you look just behind her ears, there is a black patch. I would definitely say 100% marble cow. I like that fact, that they kept the original cow breeds into it. Another reason to look forward to this game when it comes out.

They are really going all out to preserve the perfect parts of the game. The animals really were the best part. Especially the details with the male and female animals, and how the breeds of cow were not cosmetic either.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I've been squawking about Griffin mostly in this thread, but I am looking forward to the game overall. I feel like in most farming sims the actual farming can tend to either be unappealing or completely ignored for other money making methods. There's no draw that makes me WANT to farm unless there's a reward/unlock system outside of currency. AWL is different (in my eyes at least, never played it enough) where in having a set amount of time over all the time in the world leans more into wanting to farm to reap it's benefits rather than ignore it. I always wanted to play the original, and now I can. Even if Griffin isn't a bachelor, it's not a deal breaker, I just wanna play.
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote: Sep 25, 2022 5:09 am AWL is different (in my eyes at least, never played it enough) where in having a set amount of time over all the time in the world leans more into wanting to farm to reap it's benefits rather than ignore it.
100% agree with this. AWL never was a game for the fishing, foraging and mining aspect. It was always farm-centric, putting much more focus on the animals. The only real reason ever to grow crops was to use it to cook light pickles to eat. I think that is why I love it so much, because animals were always main priority for me. My focus is always in this order; 1, Animals. 2, Crops. 3, Everything else. That is probably why FoMT and AWL always had a special place in my heart, because the focus was always more on the farming.

You know, I've actually been thinking about the chapter system. Yeah, it was kinda frustrating back in the day with Chapter 3 lasting 3 years and dragging on, and some people feel that they can see all the events and everything in time with 40 day years. Playing it this time around, I realise, I love that fact. It is really authentic in its brand, in that it is about a lifetime of one farmer. Not everyone gets to do everything and accomplish everything in life, and this definitely fits with that. It also adds to the replayability factor of the game. Since, in one go around you can focus entirely on the farm and ignore the people, and get this mega success of it. Or in the next one, just do the bare minimum farming to get by and befriend all the villagers. And so on. For these reasons, I so hope the chapters, the year length and the time flow remains exactly the same.
Crystal Power
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

I know others are better at spotting information (Like that Flora image) so I wanted to make sure, is the candidate assumed to be Cody only shown in the trailer or is there any other images we have of him?
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Crystal Power wrote: Sep 25, 2022 10:46 am I know others are better at spotting information (Like that Flora image) so I wanted to make sure, is the candidate assumed to be Cody only shown in the trailer or is there any other images we have of him?
Only shown in the trailer. I've searched around for any screencap I can find of the game, and that is the only time that he appears. It isn't even confirmed that he even is Cody. There are pics of some festivals out there, and Cody is absent. But, if anyone else has seen him somewhere, I would like to see the picture too.
white66

Post  Posted:

The fact that they haven't officially shown Cody as a bachelor makes me think the character who looks like him may actually be his nephew or something. I'm kind of hoping that's the case because the new design is so different from his original one, which, granted, may have been a little out there and possibly insensitive, but I would hope that they had just reworked it rather than pushed him into the mold all the other bachelors are in.