Story of Seasons: AWL remake announced!

What happened to Murrey!? A remake of Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (2004) and Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (2005) for Nintendo Switch. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jan 2023. NA release = June 2023. EU release = June 2023.
Anna_Lynn
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

greensara wrote: Sep 30, 2022 7:44 pm This was a couple pages back but Nami's daughter being like Nami 2.0 was precious! I hope to see what all the kids, especially the new daughters look like.
Same here! I wonder if they'll take inspiration from what some of the daughters looked like in HMDS Cute, like I could see them copy-pasting the Nami/Gustafa daughter from DS Cute to Nami, and the Rock/Muffy daughter to Molly, etc. It's ironic how you could only have a daughter in the girl version of the game, the version where you marry the bachelors and your child resembles the bachelorettes you can't marry. :lol: Plus when it came to AWLSE, the daughter always resembled the MC...or Celia I guess. I'm super excited to see what everyone's children look like, especially Cody, Matthew, and Nami"s!
TahoeMario
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

For anyone who hasn't already seen Cher's Farm'n Friday article on the home page from yesterday, or the Nintendo JP article that she links to in it, then I encourage you to go and do so.

She talks about how the blue box outside your farmhouse is where the pre-order bonus outfits are sent to, I know people were questioning what that would be used for if the orange one was for shipments. I'd imagine other items you might be able to order in-game would be sent to the blue box as well, basically your mailbox. Essentially, your "inbox" compared to the "outbox" shipping bin at the barn.

I did still want to catalogue some of the new images from the Nintendo article here, even though there isn't anything too earth-shattering in it.

You got a couple of new fieldwork screenshots:
Spoiler:
There's a trio of animal screenshots:
Spoiler:
Even more of Cecilia and her son:
Spoiler:
And then these three that show off-- a cooked dish:
Spoiler:
fishing at the waterfall:
Spoiler:
and the female MC with Cody at what used to be the Starry Festival in the original, which we've seen the male MC with Cecilia at before, but I didn't even put it together that it is now a "date" festival when I first seen the original image. I do wonder how this looks when you're a thing with Gustafa though... just you being a lone groupie in the crowd, I guess :lol:
Spoiler:
There's also the clean artwork for the rest of the cast that have already been revealed on the website that weren't in the Famitsu article from the other day, which I'll refrain from posting here. Once again, I encourage you to go read all aforementioned articles.
Anna_Lynn

Post  Posted:

TahoeMario wrote: Oct 01, 2022 6:01 am and the female MC with Cody at what used to be the Starry Festival in the original, which we've seen the male MC with Cecilia at before, but I didn't even put it together that it is now a "date" festival when I first seen the original image. I do wonder how this looks when you're a thing with Gustafa though... just you being a lone groupie in the crowd, I guess :lol:
Spoiler:
I saw a really cute cutscene in the original game the other day of Griffin playing guitar at the blue bar, and I always forget that he can play an instrument too. It would be a cool feature if Griffin took the reigns for the starry night festival if you're married to Gustafa (I mean Griffin's standing in the crowd anyways.) Although knowing Marvelous they might just take the lazy way and have the MC stand alone in the crowd like you said. :?
TahoeMario
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Anna_Lynn wrote: Oct 01, 2022 7:49 am
TahoeMario wrote: Oct 01, 2022 6:01 am and the female MC with Cody at what used to be the Starry Festival in the original, which we've seen the male MC with Cecilia at before, but I didn't even put it together that it is now a "date" festival when I first seen the original image. I do wonder how this looks when you're a thing with Gustafa though... just you being a lone groupie in the crowd, I guess :lol:
Spoiler:
I saw a really cute cutscene in the original game the other day of Griffin playing guitar at the blue bar, and I always forget that he can play an instrument too. It would be a cool feature if Griffin took the reigns for the starry night festival if you're married to Gustafa (I mean Griffin's standing in the crowd anyways.) Although knowing Marvelous they might just take the lazy way and have the MC stand alone in the crowd like you said. :?

That's a great idea, I always loved that you could find Griffin breaking out his guitar sometimes. I do have the feeling that it'll likely either end up being you alone in the crowd and Gustafa maybe just dedicates the song to you in one extra dialogue line or perhaps there's a small additional cutscene of you and him before or after he plays that isn't there for everybody else or something like that. It'd be cute if they repositioned your character and had you finally "sing" alongside him like he has always wanted too though.
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

TahoeMario wrote: Oct 01, 2022 6:01 am You got a couple of new fieldwork screenshots:
Spoiler:
There's a trio of animal screenshots:
Spoiler:
Even more of Cecilia and her son:
Spoiler:
And then these three that show off-- a cooked dish:
Spoiler:
fishing at the waterfall:
Spoiler:
and the female MC with Cody at what used to be the Starry Festival in the original, which we've seen the male MC with Cecilia at before, but I didn't even put it together that it is now a "date" festival when I first seen the original image. I do wonder how this looks when you're a thing with Gustafa though... just you being a lone groupie in the crowd, I guess :lol:
Spoiler:
:O :O Wow! This game looks amazing. Even some of the features appear better. I notice the stamina bar hasn't depleted much in the one about the crops, and a few of them have already been water. It really does look like they have improved the crops system, which I'm thrilled about. Crop growing was mostly pointless in the original game, unless you wanted the crops to eat.

Since I know Muffy (Molly) is there, and plan to marry her, all the stuff with all the other marriage candidates don't interest me. It is all farm related things, and just the valley in general. By the looks of things, they have preserved that small quaint little valley town vibe. I haven't seen any pics yet about the Excavation Site, so I'm concerned they might have removed it.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I found a page that had all the names that were changed between the original AWL's japanese and english version. Since the new localization will probably change most or all of them, I figured it'd be relevant here. (There's some other interesting things about the original AWL there too. For example, apparently the child had an infant phase at some point in development? The only remains of that is a pair of baby bottle items)

https://tcrf.net/Harvest_Moon:_A_Wonder ... cter_Names

Some thoughts:
-Chris' name is close enough to "Kris" that she might still remain Chris
-The Harvest Sprite trio was named Flat, David and Ebony? Those will likely get some kind of a change. "Flat" is a music term, so maybe we'll get something like Flat, Treble and Bass?
-Galen's new name might be something like Garry
-Advance warning to Griffin fans: his new name might just be Garfunkel
-Kassey and Patrick will likely get rhyming twin names
-From the japanese trailer, it looked like Murray/Moi's name was changed to Pui in both the english and japanese version, which might mean Pui isn't supposed to be Murray, but a brand new character replacing him?
-I have absolutely no idea what Wally's new name would be. Sharlie?

Of course, since Muumuu became Molly and Sepilia became Cecilia, there's no telling what the new names will be just from looking at the japanese names.
fancypurincup
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Guest wrote: Oct 01, 2022 11:10 am -I have absolutely no idea what Wally's new name would be. Sharlie?
His Japanese name, Saury, is the same as the fish, so that would be funny if it stayed that way... If he were a fisherman lol!! Though I could see it being changed to "Charlie" though, very similar to Sharlie!
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

TahoeMario wrote: Oct 01, 2022 6:01 am There's a trio of animal screenshots:
Spoiler:
I just noticed something! :o First of all, I love that they moved the coop closer to the house to put all the crop fields closer together. But, LOOK at the coop! It has a bell outside of it. They made it easier to let the chickens and ducks out to graze in the pasture! That would be a total life saver for this game. In original AWL my poultry never left the coop, because I couldn't be bothered to individually carry them in and out nearly every day.
MaiIsMe
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Guest wrote: Oct 01, 2022 11:10 am I found a page that had all the names that were changed between the original AWL's japanese and english version. Since the new localization will probably change most or all of them, I figured it'd be relevant here. (There's some other interesting things about the original AWL there too. For example, apparently the child had an infant phase at some point in development? The only remains of that is a pair of baby bottle items)

https://tcrf.net/Harvest_Moon:_A_Wonder ... cter_Names
Some of these are misleading / incorrect, it seems? Hardy’s name is incorrect. It’s paddock (like the horse enclosure) but they say it’s a B?

In Japanese, multiple English sounds are translated the same so it’s just as valid to say Kurisu is Chris or Kris. Some of these names seem like they were intentionally referring to names / words in English though. Like “Besuta” is probably Vesta but could be Besta. And I’m pretty sure it should be “Gordy,” but these are the files names, I guess? I don’t understand why tei has two.

I did something similar here

Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Okay, please, DO NOT crucify me... but I have a question. A true doubt, I'm not trying to stirr drama.

We can play as boy or girl.. what would classify my character as a non-binary character? Do I choose this at the beginning, or what? I don't get it :oops: :oops: :oops:
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Mabbie wrote: Oct 02, 2022 6:20 am Okay, please, DO NOT crucify me... but I have a question. A true doubt, I'm not trying to stirr drama.

We can play as boy or girl.. what would classify my character as a non-binary character? Do I choose this at the beginning, or what? I don't get it :oops: :oops: :oops:
Making them non-binary is basically pronouns and how they are referred to. I imagine we will have to choose either the male or female farmer for appearance, and non-binary would make it they/them pronouns when referring to the farmer. Instead of wife or husband, it would be "spouse." Or if Takakura is talking to the MC's deceased dad in the time jumps would say "child" instead of of "son" or "daughter." I also think it will have some effect on what the child calls the MC. Instead of Dad or Mom, it will be a neutral term. (I don't know what that is to be honest, as all the non-binary people I know are childfree.)

I imagine this will be during character creation at the start of the game.
TahoeMario
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Mabbie wrote: Oct 02, 2022 6:20 am Okay, please, DO NOT crucify me... but I have a question. A true doubt, I'm not trying to stirr drama.

You do pick it at the beginning when you're first customizing your character. It will probably only greatly affect the pronouns for the chapter progression sequences where Takakura is talking to the MC's father so if you're a boy then he'll say "he", "she" for girl and "they" for nonbinary like Rose Petals said. Other than that, and just general better representation for IRL nonbinary players who want their character to be the same in-game, then I'm also unsure how much it will actually change the story though.

MaiIsMe wrote: Oct 02, 2022 4:08 am
Some of these are misleading / incorrect, it seems? Hardy’s name is incorrect. It’s paddock (like the horse enclosure) but they say it’s a B?

In Japanese, multiple English sounds are translated the same so it’s just as valid to say Kurisu is Chris or Kris. Some of these names seem like they were intentionally referring to names / words in English though. Like “Besuta” is probably Vesta but could be Besta. And I’m pretty sure it should be “Gordy,” but these are the files names, I guess? I don’t understand why tei has two.
Those from that tcrf link do seem to be the developers, who maybe don't know English, writing what they think the English names and spellings of those names would be in the files of the character models. I was going to point out that Badog should be Paddock too.

There's a couple of things I wanted to point out about your r/ post too though. Ruby's name is ルウ which is " Rū ", literally Lou. And this was her name in SoS:FoMT so we have recent precedent of them translating her name into Lou there. Van was still named Van too, so I think they'll probably keep those names here. Granted, it's not confirmed yet though, so I don't blame you for not having those names written down.

You also say that the Camera mode was in the originals which isn't the case. There was a similar camera mode in AP on the Wii and the most recent PoOT but not AWL, but this is just a nitpick on my part, lol... there may have been a first-person pov for when you're standing still though now that I think about it, but I can't recall, so actually you're probably right there.

I did see you questioning the "indigo moon" part of the Mukumuku profile too. In the original JP versions, and the JP screenshots we've been seeing for this remake, the seasons were labeled weirdly. Spring was Parrot, Summer was Pepper, Autumn was... I think, Amber, and Winter was Indigo. So, when it says: "Mukumuku only appears on an indigo moon", it means Mukumuku only shows up in winter.

As to the original question the Guest had of Wally's name, his Japanese name is スアリー which is Suari with an "i" but not only that, but it has a diacritical accent over the "i", like " Suarī " which, combined with the blending of Ls and Rs and how the vowel of the first kanji is often times dropped in translation, sounds a lot like Sully in Japanese. Instead of sue-r-e like you would think it'd be pronounced as, it's actually s-ali. So, I could imagine Sully being his English name, but this would just be speculation on my part. They could change it to something completely unrelated to the Japanese name like "Chump Bumpkins" for all I know.
MaiIsMe
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

TahoeMario wrote: Oct 02, 2022 7:08 am

You do pick it at the beginning when you're first customizing your character. It will probably only greatly affect the pronouns for the chapter progression sequences where Takakura is talking to the MC's father so if you're a boy then he'll say "he", "she" for girl and "they" for nonbinary like Rose Petals said. Other than that, and just general better representation for IRL nonbinary players who want their character to be the same in-game, then I'm also unsure how much it will actually change the story though.

MaiIsMe wrote: Oct 02, 2022 4:08 am

Those from that tcrf link do seem to be the developers, who maybe don't know English, writing what they think the English names and spellings of those names would be in the files of the character models. I was going to point out that Badog should be Paddock too.

There's a couple of things I wanted to point out about your r/ post too though. Ruby's name is ルウ which is " Rū ", literally Lou. And this was her name in SoS:FoMT so we have recent precedent of them translating her name into Lou there. Van was still named Van too, so I think they'll probably keep those names here. Granted, it's not confirmed yet though, so I don't blame you for not having those names written down.

You also say that the Camera mode was in the originals which isn't the case. There was a similar camera mode in AP on the Wii and the most recent PoOT but not AWL, but this is just a nitpick on my part, lol... there may have been a first-person pov for when you're standing still though now that I think about it, but I can't recall, so actually you're probably right there.

I did see you questioning the "indigo moon" part of the Mukumuku profile too. In the original JP versions, and the JP screenshots we've been seeing for this remake, the seasons were labeled weirdly. Spring was Parrot, Summer was Pepper, Autumn was... I think, Amber, and Winter was Indigo. So, when it says: "Mukumuku only appears on an indigo moon", it means Mukumuku only shows up in winter.

As to the original question the Guest had of Wally's name, his Japanese name is スアリー which is Suari with an "i" but not only that, but it has a diacritical accent over the "i", like " Suarī " which, combined with the blending of Ls and Rs and how the vowel of the first kanji is often times dropped in translation, sounds a lot like Sully in Japanese. Instead of sue-r-e like you would think it'd be pronounced as, it's actually s-ali. So, I could imagine Sully being his English name, but this would just be speculation on my part. They could change it to something completely unrelated to the Japanese name like "Chump Bumpkins" for all I know.
Thanks!

I was aware of the Lou thing but was leaving it as Ruu since it’s how she’s called on the Japanese website (vesta is also besta) but I was going to change it if they confirmed it will be Lou since it’s also a valid translation. I could also put Lugh, Lew, Loo, Roux, Reux, Lu / her translation isn’t as obvious as “Sebastian” or “romana”

I didn’t say it well about the camera but I was talking about being able to see first person with the game camera (I remember switching and trying to look at the random animals around and things and people’s room). And i tried it on the PS4 port and it still worked.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Yeah, it seems like tcrf has internal names by the programmers, so not entirely the names they're intended to be. Still, I thought it was a pretty good list of which characters' names were changed. Thanks for the comprehensive list, MaiIsMe! I wasn't sure how many of the characters had confirmed re-localized names, but it seems like there wasn't that many.

I think they'll definitely keep Lou's name as Lou, since it's still the same localization team and the same character. And Sully does sound like a valid reading to Suarii. Certainly better than Svarry or Swally or anything else I could imagine XD

Though, when I looked more into the character names, I realized the HMDS counterparts had totally different names, since they're meant to be the AWL characters' grandkids. If they ever make a HMDS remake, maybe they'll redesign every character to be more obviously different people? That might be fun :lol:

On the other topic, based on PoOT's character customization I expect it to work similarly: You go through the character customization menu, maybe starting with picking either the male or female design as the base, and then after creating your character get asked if your character is male, female or non-binary. After that, all dialogue that refers to gender will have three variants depending on which your character is. Actually, I'm probably gonna pick a non-binary character for my first playthrough just to see what it's like, since it's the first time that's been an option and I'm curious how it's written.
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

The whole non-binary thing in game will be one of those things that probably won't matter to most players, who will see it as this cool new feature to check out to see what it is like. But, it will mean a lot to some players that never really related to the binary genders of the MC in previous games. Just like the same-« Chicken Hugging » marriage option. A cool new feature to most that probably won't mean much, but means a lot to some. How inclusive SoS is getting is really amazing, and a great move on Marvelous' part.