Backlog 2022

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

infel wrote: Oct 03, 2022 12:00 pmLike Kikki said, the beginning is very good and relaxing when not doing what I was doing. When you go in intending to rush things, and especially when wanting to get lots of nook points, it can be stressful and frustrating. However, going in and just wanting to begin a new game is very fun even though it can be difficult or tedious. Sorry for the confusion with my post about this part. I just didn't have fun with the grinding for nook points thing.
Please don't worry! I honestly probably shouldn't have stuck my nose in, I guess I just get a bit jealous of people brave enough to start such a beefy game over from the start? (Seriously, if you ask me it's brave, after so many hours. You could just quit, but you're trying again, which is tough!) I like going back to my old file, but it's kind of like a dragon looking at their hoard more than anything. The luster of the early days is gone. I am sorry you had so many frustrations, though. Even if it doesn't ruin the experience, it does take the shine off of it. :/
Kikki wrote: Oct 03, 2022 12:37 pmAnyone had a good look at the protagonist of The Divine Force, btw? (AKA: Star Ocean 6) Why are his arms so VEINY? It's not just one image, either...they ALWAYS draw him like this. Not that I don't like a nicely corded forearms, but Raymond's arms are borderline unnatural. I guess he's supposed to be really muscular/low body fat, and this is showing it off? It's a bit freaky. I'm looking forward to opening up the demo tonight and seeing if they look that veiny on his model or in-game portrait, when/if one is used.
The veiny arms only make sense to me if he's holding cinderblocks or if he got injected by something strange... Maybe the main artist for the game just...really likes beefy bara men, because his whole body is really BIG, with an anime boy head plopped on top. Weird middle ground, but I guess at least his neck is fairly thick. Helps sell it a little more.

I would love to know if the veins are visible on his model though. « Harvest Goddess » that would be awful. :lol:
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: Oct 03, 2022 4:53 pmLloyd & Co are still levelling up rapidly. I missed a book, phooey...I hate when they put a book into a chapter in a TINY slice of time between one-time events. Oh well, it's not possible to get everything in one playthrough anyway.
I just mentioned this in my Ys IX rant but I really, REALLY wish JRPGs would stop time gating missable collectables. Falcom is especially bad at this, but so are other big hitters like Persona 3/4/5. Like, you missed talking to one NPC and boom, ruined perfect playthrough. Want to advance the gripping plot to see what happens next? Oh geez, you missed a side quest with a important character and now you can't unlock a very important feature! Drives me BATTY. Makes me feel like I have to have a faq page tabbed open all the time instead of letting me enjoy the game at my preferred pace. If it's at least going to be time gated, let it be flexible or at least warn the player that there's stuff they missed before the point of no return!

----

Huh, so, I somehow didn't fully finish the DLC for Pokemon Shield? I thought I did, or maybe I just reached a point where I thought I was 'done'. Regardless, I'm not lol. There's a marker in the Crown Tundra and when I visited the Isle of Armor, the moment I spawned in Moltres screeched above the in the sky and started circling the island. This game has gone from shiny hunting usage to finishing the DLC and being put on my backlog lol. I caught Moltres btw, jumped me while I was looking for Digletts.

I also finished the first gym in Let's Go Pikachu and I'm currently in Mt. Moon. I completely forgot that if you're not playing this game in handheld mode then you HAVE to play it with a single joycon and motion controls for catching 'mons. It's odd to be sure, but as I'm actually not looking to catch Pokemon (transferred a full shiny team over) I'm just using one joycon while my other hand is aimlessly empty. I did use my phone and play the game at the same time for a few min last night(TECHNOLOGY!), but I wish they had just patched in actual full controller support. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get used to it.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote: Oct 03, 2022 6:12 pmThe veiny arms only make sense to me if he's holding cinderblocks or if he got injected by something strange... Maybe the main artist for the game just...really likes beefy bara men, because his whole body is really BIG, with an anime boy head plopped on top. Weird middle ground, but I guess at least his neck is fairly thick. Helps sell it a little more.

I would love to know if the veins are visible on his model though. « Harvest Goddess » that would be awful. :lol:
The veins aren't visible on his model, though he is drawn so as to appear...ripply. Like he looks fairly smooth, but they've drawn in a little ripple where the lower part of his triceps join in at the elbow, like they want you to realize that every segment of his muscles are defined. He doesn't have run-of-the-mill triceps...they want you to be able to imagine seeing the difference in the long head and lateral head of the triceps brachii. You can't actually see it, but his model gives that impression. Plus whenever he's still, he goes into stretches that are borderline calisthenics. Gives me the impression that he lives on protein powder and takes a personally customized cocktail of amino acids.

His personality is kind of fun. For me, that is. He has this 'girls are okay, they can say whatever they want to me, but all guys are potentially the enemy' thing going on, that I find entertaining. Reminds me of that joke (?) about the big man who says to his little wife (when she beat him) 'it won't hurt me, and it may amuse you'. Like...okay, you're a muscley guy, we get it. A lot bigger than her. If she punches you, she's going to hurt herself, not you. But she could stab you in the stomach as easily as that guy, you know? Easier, because you don't keep your guard up around her at all. Though this girl probably IS harmless to Ray, at least in these circumstances...hard to know, only a few minutes into the demo!
Bluie wrote: Oct 04, 2022 12:00 pmI just mentioned this in my Ys IX rant but I really, REALLY wish JRPGs would stop time gating missable collectables.
This bit in Zero wasn't even logical. You chat with a guy, go outside to trigger the next story scene...and then you're done and need to return to the city. But you need to go back into the store and chat with the same guy AGAIN and suddenly he'll have a free book to give you, which he didn't have the last three times you talked to him only a moment before. It's only available after that cutscene, but BEFORE you return to the city. Basically, the game wants you to talk to every NPC when you arrive and then when you can't find a single new iota of dialogue from anyone, go ahead and trigger the next bit of story. THEN go around talking to every NPC all over again to see if they say anything new than just a few seconds before.

It's ridiculous and NOT FUN. There's no logic to seeing that little story event and then thinking 'hey I wonder if the world just shifted and someone I just talked to will suddenly have a book to give away?'

Don't get me wrong: Zero is super fun. But that way of doing things is not. It's just tedious and nonsensical. It never even occurred to me that hte character I JUST talked to (multiple times!) would suddenly have a freebie on him if I went back in after the cutscene so, having done everything else the place had available, I just left. And that was the end of that possibility.

Though it's possible they have some mechanism to get books later, such as they put into Cold Steel with the bargain bin in the pawn shop. (I think people may have complained about the short-window-of-opportunity for book collecting.)
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Hello :D So fingers crossed, I think I still have my Hometown Story data? I opened up Tomodachi Life this week and was surprised to see that I still had all of my old data. whOOp.

As for Animal Crossing, I completed Harvey’s Island this week, and I haven’t done too much else.

I…I bought Pokémon Sword >u< my backlog keeps growing, heLp. My last Pokémon game was Pokémon X back in the day, so it’s been nice to be playing Pokémon again. I plan on buying Pokémon Violet as well so that I can play with my brother. Anyways, I haven’t gotten far at all (the game downloaded on Monday night). After ensuring that I had five of each medicine, I swindled the rest of my money on clothing .u. I wasn’t expecting to see a clothing store so quickly, oOps. Ummm also I chose the fire bunny and named him Blaze. So far, I have a total of four or five Pokémon, I think. When I play next, I’m supposed to go talk to the Professor.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The Divine Force demo wasn't particularly fun. It was okay, not UNfun, but it takes a slice out of the game in such a way as to make me not care about the protagonist at all. I'm not sure if it's the actual beginning of the story, or if it's set a little way in from the beginning. I think it's probably the game's actual beginning, though, and it definitely failed to inspire me to care about Ray :( Leticia's cute but feels like a trope naive sheltered princess who wants to rebel a bit and get out into the world for once, and...was it Phillip? I can't remember the name of her retainer right now, but he was also such a basic stock character...uptight retainer who ONLY cares about the welfare of his princess and is curt/rude to anyone who doesn't show her all the butt-kissing respect she can take. I'm sure they'll have some development, but I'm betting that whatever it is will fail to come as a surprise. They'll be one of the expected subsets of their trope.

They're very boring and unimaginative characters, basically. Raymond himself is so far the least bog-standard, in that I'm not sure I have him pegged, yet...he feels like he could actually have a surprise or two in him somewhere. His personality wasn't as clearly defined as the others.

I think it'll be an okay game, but the demo definitely wasn't impressive in terms of containing anything unique or especially well done.

Zero is still really fun, though. I remember that Randy was my favourite character when I first went through the story, because he, like Olivier, is where the laughs are, and I remember at least one major story beat, but I've forgotten everything else. And I got a bit of feedback on my health problems yesterday in a hastily-arranged trip to the city. No firm answers, of course...what's really going on is still up in the air...but at least I know I'm right to think I'm not really dealing with a pinched nerve, any more, and that my guess on the best course with my meds was correct; glad to be working my way to the proper dose, now. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to tell if it's of much help or not.

And October is just so gorgeous, and my nicely rearranged room is so much more practical now and ideal for sitting in the syrupy fall sunlight. So, I dunno if I'll end up getting Divine Force after that demo (maybe) but I'm not feeling particularly disappointed. I'm having fun already.

EDIT: That book I missed, in that tiny sliver of available time? It was available again later at a different spot, though so far there doesn't seem to be an equivalent to Micht's pawn shop in this game...maybe Neinvalli will serve that purpose. I'm into Chapter 2 now, and I don't think the game has that many chapters, but I guess...I might be 20-25% done the story of Zero.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I've picked up SoS:FOMT again and almost have my boy farmer married to Ran. She just needs to get from an orange to a red heart, everything else is ready. It's still Fall of year one, that's probably my new record, I think it usually took me until Spring of year 2 in the original. I think it's because I kept getting Van's favorite somehow and selling it.

Today I got brave enough to mess with the Japanese eShop. I had been thinking about it for a while to try Dragon Quest X's demo. It wasn't too bad setting up another user account for the Japanese eShop. Luckily both eshops seem to be arranged the same functionally, as I don't read a lick of Japanese. Downloaded the new Doraemon demo, Dragon Quest Heroes demo, and the Dragon Quest X demo. By the way, for anyone curious, X's demo is it's own listing that's whitish and the file is really big, first time I actually had to clear space on my bigger card.

The Doraemon demo was okay, and had English as an option, just not my thing. Dragon Quest Heroes demo was really fun, even though I had no idea what to do other than fight monsters. Its controls and style were very much like the Hyrule Warriors games. I really hope they bring the offline version of Dragon Quest X to the west, because of what I have played it has been pretty fun. The gameplay seems like a mix of 9 and 11. (Inspires me to try to finish my DQ9 file before year's end.) I couldn't tell you a lot of what was going on as it is pretty text heavy and I was getting really tired out using the ever amusing Google translate to keep using it the whole time. I can tell you now though, I am not buying anything from the Japanese eShop unless it has English language support, as I can't keep Google translating a whole game to play it for real, and it's doubtful I will find the time to learn to read Japanese in the near future. It was fun to get the chance to try some new stuff anyway though.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Went full Genshin mode yesterday and I might do it again today too. I did the entire Weinlesefest, then finally 100%ed the one area in Mondstadt that I had stuck at 94% (thank you, treasure compass), and then I did the current patch update story from start to finish. It's funny though, 100%ing areas in Genshin, because even with that stamp of approval, I still find treasure chests in the overworld. Teleported over to the Dawn Winery for Weinlesefest stuff and saw an untouched chest since launch just sitting ontop of a pillar. I wonder if Hoyo overcompensates on chests just in case you can't find them all, just like there's an extra oculus in every nation. Now the only part of Mondstadt I still have to 100% is Dragonspine and I honestly don't know how it's not already at 100% already. Firstly, the treasure compass doesn't work there (WHICH IS DUMB) and secondly, I feel like I've explored every nook and cranny so I'm not sure where to even start on it. It's also stuck at 94% so I'm very close, I must just be missing a handful of chests or something. I may just work on Liyue 100%ing first then make my way back.

But back to the new content, holy « Puppy Doodoo », the desert area is HUGE and honestly is in need of either a mount or aided traversal. The little Sumeru spiderman things aren't scattered around enough for them to be viable in this area. In two other games I can think of off the top of my head; Journey and NieR Automata, both have your characters slide around dunes after gaining enough momentum. It's a great way to make slog areas more fun and let you traverse bigger areas quicker. Genshin literally looked at those examples and went 'nah, spidey man is fine' and makes you walk/sprint everywhere. BRUH. I quite literally just got two achievements gliding from a high area to a new teleport because it took so damn long to gently descend to my destination. You can't just go 'bigger is better' without thinking about the downsides as well. FFS, BREATH OF THE WILD, YOUR BIGGEST INSPRATION, HAS SHIELD/SEAL SURFING. WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS HOYO?!?

If Inazuma is the most irritating area to explore, Sumeru is gong to be the most tedious. DO NOT get me started on all the underground areas in the jungle area, they're going to be a nightmare when I start exploring fully in earnest.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote: Oct 06, 2022 2:40 am It's funny though, 100%ing areas in Genshin, because even with that stamp of approval, I still find treasure chests in the overworld.
Snip.

I've heard that some chests respawn at certain adventure ranks, so you might have had some respawn and not known it. NO idea how that ties to 100% progression.

Bluie wrote: Oct 06, 2022 2:40 am BRUH. I quite literally just got two achievements gliding from a high area to a new teleport because it took so damn long to gently descend to my destination. You can't just go 'bigger is better' without thinking about the downsides as well. FFS, BREATH OF THE WILD, YOUR BIGGEST INSPRATION, HAS SHIELD/SEAL SURFING. WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS HOYO?!?
Can't shield surf without a shield. :lol: Candace special skill?

Genshin does have some traversal issues (which are probably at least half related to the higher ups wanting to slow people down to spend more time in the game). I've been reliant on bunny hopping for a year and a half, which wouldn't be too bad if stamina wasn't such an issue. The last couple of big 'tell us what you want' surveys I've asked them to remove stamina consumption outside of combat/climbing. That would be an easy fix, at least.

--
So, funny story time. I don't use my big gaming computer for work all that often (didn't today either), so it was asleep. And we lost electric for a half hour, computer appears to have shut down, power button that flashes red when it's asleep is off. When I turn it on later, it resumes from sleep like nothing happened. Mind blown. Can't explain it.

Still playing Dorfromantik (lunch break game, when I play) and Genshin. Finished the Oktoberfest event last night. Miyoho's animators are really good. REALLY good when they have full control like with FMVs and stuff. Super cute.

I am ONE QUEST away from unlocking weeklies in Sumeru... so it'll happen this week, just not today. Sumeru puzzles are my favorite, I think. Been doing a lot of those along quest routes. Some are definitely too easy, but they don't feel quite as Skyrim (push buttons until something happens) esque. Inazuma went a little hard on those. It's KINDA forgivable (imo) just from the sheer volume of puzzles, but... yeah. I like things to make sense. Funny, that.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote: Oct 06, 2022 8:33 pm
Bluie wrote: Oct 06, 2022 2:40 am It's funny though, 100%ing areas in Genshin, because even with that stamp of approval, I still find treasure chests in the overworld.
Snip.

I've heard that some chests respawn at certain adventure ranks, so you might have had some respawn and not known it. NO idea how that ties to 100% progression.

Bluie wrote: Oct 06, 2022 2:40 am BRUH. I quite literally just got two achievements gliding from a high area to a new teleport because it took so damn long to gently descend to my destination. You can't just go 'bigger is better' without thinking about the downsides as well. FFS, BREATH OF THE WILD, YOUR BIGGEST INSPRATION, HAS SHIELD/SEAL SURFING. WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS HOYO?!?
Can't shield surf without a shield. :lol: Candace special skill?

Genshin does have some traversal issues (which are probably at least half related to the higher ups wanting to slow people down to spend more time in the game). I've been reliant on bunny hopping for a year and a half, which wouldn't be too bad if stamina wasn't such an issue. The last couple of big 'tell us what you want' surveys I've asked them to remove stamina consumption outside of combat/climbing. That would be an easy fix, at least.

Huh, didn't know about that progression chest thing. I've been permanently stuck at 40 something (voluntarily) for a long time now, so I still have no idea how long that chest has been there lol.

On the traversal stuff, they could give us a gadget that lets us slide through sand and only sand. A huge chunk of the gadgets are use only in certain areas/situations, so I don't see why they can't do that here. Next survey I'm gonna blast them about it lmao.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Zero is so fun, it kind of throws me that I can't bring myself to keep playing. But I'm just TOO. TIRED. Trails games require mental vigilance and emotional receptivity from me, and when I'm really tired, I haven't got those things to spare. When I'm super tired, I want comfort food, in the form of DQB2, mostly, or a replay of Trio or etc. Pre-digested fare. They're complicated games, but I've played them so much, my brain isn't challenged by having to assimilate anything new. (Stupid brain, don't you know new things are GOOD for you, and comfort food is the equivalent of your favourite buttered-toast-with-jam? There's no nutrients in there, just pure calories!)

I also am starting to feel the need to go back into XC3 to clean up the quests I left and grab the new content when it drops in a few days, but XC3 is also quite demanding. (Why are all my favourite series so exhaustingly detailed? I seem to best love the kind of games I'm always too tired to play, lol.) Guess there's no hurry. The real draw in DLC isn't out until the end of NEXT year, and it's probably not even connected to the existing content, so I've no reason to hurry to get 100% on quests or heroes.

The increased dose of baclofen is definitely doing lots of something. Several somethings! Gonna have to wait a bit for the dust to settle, to figure out exactly how helpful it is. Pretty sure it's increasing my fatigue but not sure if that'll die off like many other effects did, or if I'll have to just get used to it.

Still, lots of great games, great new room set-up, beautiful October landscape, useful new health advice/info. I may sleep through a lot of it, but I'm liking what I'm awake for!
yzafre
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Hello! Been a while. I got busy - rushed to finish a dress, went on vacation, got sick, recovered from being sick... I'm back to a point where I can focus on games again, now.

I picked up Tinykin! I'm trying not to rush through it, just doing one level per day. I don't think it will be a very long game (which I prefer, for collectathon's like this! makes it easier to replay), so I'm trying to take my time with it.

Outside of that, I'm spending a bit of time every day save-scumming on ANB to try and get yam seeds to pop up as the reward for the crop festival. This... might take a while. It's definitely bringing up my major frustration with post-wii-era HM/SoS games, mainly the way new features/game structure seems geared to try and stretch out the length of a single play-through. Still, I know if I can just get this dealt with, I do remember enjoying the rest of the game.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Hey, everyone. I guess I've putDoraemon: Story of Seasons on temporary hold, because I haven't touched it since starting Hokko Life.

I guess I've also put Little Busters on hold. I 'haven't touched it in a bit either.

In Pocket Card Jockey, I failed on the last horse, and put it in the farm to breed. Right now, I'm on the Witch horse again, which is fitting for October. Hopefully I'll be able to complete the game (beat it with the Robo Horse). I've been playing it since: May 5, 2016. (over 6 years!)

I started Hokko Life. I can't say much about the music and sound effects as I was watching/listening to Youtube videos at the same time I was playing. I did notice some freezing/glitches that freezes your game and made me restart. I'm near the middle of Spring Year 1 (although before the first fishing tourney). Hopefully I'll be able to progress the next time I play (with the story).

I wasn't able to get Chaos Head Noah/Chaos;Child on the Switch. :( Gamestop switched over to a new inventory system, and all their pre-orders are backed up. I have to wait until next week (at least until Monday or Tuesday.)

Edit: I forgot to mention that I pre-ordered the new Kirby game releasing next February (Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe).

Also, I completed all of the Voez demo last night, but it hurt my eyes, so maybe that game isn't for me. :(

Also, I started playing the Shutter Nyang! Demo. It's really cute. It releases on October 20, 2022 for $13.49 (with 10% off of $15). (US dollars)
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Did the one month of gamepass for 1$ thing, so I'm hoping to finish at least a couple of games on there before it runs out. I've got beacon pines, coffee talk, omori, fae tactics and garden story all started and eiyuden, fuga, psychonaughts and floppy knights downloaded. There's a few other games like daganropa that I'd like to play because it would be easier to play on the computer but I have other games to play and not enough time to beat everything so it probably won't be happening.

I'm halfway through beacon pines and five hours into omori. I only just started garden story but I'll definitely be playing that more. Probably can finish all of those and anything else really really short at least. Eiyuden and Fuga I need to try out a good amount and see if they'll play well enough on my computer/using a keyboard, otherwise I'll just have to buy them later. I haven't even tried Floppy knights yet so I don't know if I'll like it or not, but since its pretty much free I need to at least give it a try, and I don't think I have enough time to beat Fae tactics and all the other games I want to play, so I'll probably test it out a little more and then put it aside and buy it later.

Been playing Zero too, so been getting a lot of playtime in the past few days. Probably should've waited until I finished Zero, since now it'll take a little longer to do that, but I'll just have to make time for both.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I polished off the Crown Tundra last night catching the last two legendary birds. Chasing down Chocobo!Zapdos was the highlight of my evening. There is one more legendary grind with the Ultra Beasts, but it requires the Max Raid Adventures and they are tedious af, so I'm just gonna pass on it. I mean, maybe I'll do it later, but again, tedious. I did ONE last night for funsies and I was paying for attention to my phone than the game. Thank goodness it looks like Scarlet&Violet have fixed raid battles because I do like them at their core, I just hate how it's 50% waiting on other players to progress because doing it with NPCs is struggling through their braindead AI. Basically I'm only going to be playing Shield now to de-gigantamax Pokemon.

Currently pulling a 6 day stretch at work so I don't want to get into much atm. I think all I have left in Brilliant Diamond is catching Heatran and battling all the trainers in the end game zone. I'll probably pick at that until my days off come. Said days off IDK what to work on. I'm not planning on touching much of FFXIV until the next patch drop, and I'm waiting for Nilou in Genshin. I'm flipflopping between finishing Splatoon 3's story mode or continuing my playthrough of Let's Go Pikachu, but I may end up grinding Genshin mats or continue working on the bazillion world quests in Sumeru. It's all gonna depend on mood, but right at this second I'm thinkin Splatoon 3.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

yzafre wrote: Oct 07, 2022 8:29 am I picked up Tinykin! I'm trying not to rush through it, just doing one level per day. I don't think it will be a very long game (which I prefer, for collectathon's like this! makes it easier to replay), so I'm trying to take my time with it.
Congrats! :) That's exactly the pace I played at and it worked out nicely imo. Not too overwhelming or boring. Hope you have fun!

--
At long, long last I started Portal 2 today. (Looked up a How Long to Beat for The Last Campfire and it's really short, so I'll save it for later in the month, maybe right when Genshin is winding down for the 3.2 update.) I've gotten a few minor spoilers here and there for plot, but so far nothing too terrible. The intro is incredible, though for whatever reason having it installed on my SSD is causing problems, and for whatever other reason Portal 2 is a game Steam will not let me move to another drive without uninstalling and reinstalling. Thank you, Gaben. Support for your few, beloved franchises is always appreciated.

I'm guessing the problem I'm having is just...Old Games TM. Old games are weird and cause all kinds of problems, and in this case on every loading screen my computer started making weird mechanical whining noises for a few seconds, which makes no sense for having the game installed on the SSD where my OS is... (SSDs are not mechanical, they have no moving parts). The mechanical drive in my computer shouldn't be in use if everything is being pulled from an SSD, so it shouldn't be making noise. VERY strange, if you ask me. (Typically though, whining noises are not great, could be close to a drive giving out.)

For now I've only played an hour, and I'll probably get back to it tomorrow, unless it reinstalls really fast and I feel like another attempt. Which I might, it's going pretty fast right now.

Edit: Nope. Portal 2 is doing something weird. Played through Chapter 2 on the HDD and had the same problem. When I quit I loaded Tinykin for a few minutes to double check that it's a Portal problem...and it is. Went through several load screens, including after death, and there was no noise. Gonna have to Google this.

Next day edit: Did some more research...found a phenomenon called "coil whine" that happens with GPUs. Apparently it's this...very long standing issue that's just a part of GPUs, where in some situations that put a strain on the GPU, the copper coils in the GPU vibrate at a frequency that makes a high pitched whining noise (some people can't even hear it). Sources I would trust say it doesn't damage the GPU, it's just obnoxious. And makes you anxious.

It still has me anxious, I know I'm going to look up puzzle solutions when I normally wouldn't to keep me from reloading too much. I even thought I was getting some artifacting tonight, but I'm pretty sure it was just chunky particle effects.

Portal 2 (the game) is going great though. I'm to the end of Chapter 4, and I love it. It's surprisingly different from 1, but I really do love it.
Spoiler:
Was not expecting the sudden escape sequence, but I knew something was off when the light bridge puzzle started so simply... HAD to go over to the door when GLaDOS opens it for you. Shocked only 30% of people have the achievement. It's so funny! How could you not!?