Pokemon Scarlet&Violet Release Thread

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Shan O 123 wrote: Nov 21, 2022 3:19 pm There’s a capture button on the switch. Use the square button on the left joycon. Once you have the pic, go to your album. Once there, you either can upload to twitter/facebook or you can send screenshot to your phone.

To post a photo on here, it’s a code

Code: Select all

[img]image link goes here[/img]
If twitter

Code: Select all

[tweet]tweet number ID goes here[/tweet]

I can’t wait for my copy.
I took the photo on my computer....
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Upload it to a image hosting site and use the img code
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

As usual I'm forcing myself to use only the new pokemon in my party up until I beat the MQ (in this case three MQ). I like the new pokemon but struggling to get a well balanced party. I assume there are version exclusives so I may need to do some trading with my daughter to get some more variety.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

FarmingForDaysMan wrote: Nov 22, 2022 11:35 am I haven’t gotten very far into the game at all. I made it to the school but haven’t left yet. I’m loving the game, though I was disappointed to find out that we’re confined to a school uniform xD
This is unfortunately true, but there are four variants to choose from. Press the Left button on your D-pad and you can choose from them (and access any other customization options too). I personally like the winter one the most with the dark navy blazer. There is a lot of gloves, boots, bag, and hat options spread out around various cities, but I do find that the hats can look ridiculous with certain hairstyles. This is such a Game Freak thing to do though lmao. I remember how big customization was in X&Y and then they completely scrapped it ORAS. They did the same thing again with SUMO to Let's Go, letting the players only have set outfits while complete freedom in the previous entries. So, here we are again from Sw&Sh/Legends to S&V. I have seen speculation that DLC (which may or may not be real due to a datamine) will fully unlock outfits, but for now we're stuck as students lol.

I've finished both the giant Pokemon and Team Star storylines, so now I just have to challenge the Pokemon League. My husband was watching me play for a bit yesterday and said "Man, games are fun when you don't have a legion of « Baaaa *glomp* » telling you they're garbage, right?" which made me snort. And he's right (and I also know he was quoting that Little Ceasers tweet lol) because this game doesn't stop being fun just because the Internet echo chamber wont « I love You ». Like, we get it, it has problems, but it's not curbing my enjoyment in the slightest. I cannot wait to get to the last area in the game, the anticipation is starting to get to me so I might stop my catching spree for awhile and just do the rest of the story. After work though... *sigh* I hate the holidays.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

My copy showed up Monday but I didn't get to starting it until yesterday. It's actually really fun so far, despite a few technical quirks. Nothing on a Portia level in my experience so far. I've only had one "crash" so far, which was when I was trying to start the Bug gym challenge and the the screen just went black and there were Pokemon cries still going. I had to reset. Other than that it's been great.

I've just gotten to the point where the three paths are unlocked and you can pretty much do what you want. It's so big, it's hard to decide. I haven't been able to decide on a team yet either, except my starter cat, Mossie, and my Fidough, Jellyroll. I actually lucked out and got a female starter with no resets! So if anyone needs a Sprigatito baby and didn't pick it as their starter, I can hatch some without a Ditto.
Lady Retro
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

When I pre-ordered Violet, Nintendo sent an email with a code for a collection of gift items. I don't know how to redeem that code in-game.

After multiple resets, I have finally got a female sprigatito with a Jolly nature, I named her Mint.

Whay has everyone gotten upset about sprigatito standing up when she evolves? I don't recall anyone complaining when fenekin evolving and standing up.

I'm going to see if I can win the game with a team of female pokemon.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I don't play Pokemon (only completed one game, ever), but even I've heard the hate about pokemon who have any humanoid features, or evolve into some. Apparently a very loud portion of the fandom absolutely detests having any Pokemon with such features. Standing on two legs like a human rather than on all fours like a cat would be a big one.

I don't care at all about that myself, though. In fact, I think a lot of my favourites, from my limited awareness, have somewhat humanoid forms. But then, I'm not an animal lover to begin with. Not that I'm particularly a human lover either, mind you...I'm more in the 'all other forms of sentient life are a source of stress that no amount of cuteness can make up for' camp, lol.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I kind of get why fans don't like humanoid Pokemon designs. I also get why some are disappointed with sprigatito being on two legs. Honestly though, as long as the Pokemon is designed well, I don't mind. I think sprigatito is the best of the starters (though all are likable), and she/he has a cool final form. It reminds me of a magician.

Anyway, I've dabbled in Pokemon Violet for the past few days. Got my second gym badge(about to get the third), defeated the first Team Star boss, and even found one of the titan Pokemon. I also have Scarlet, but went with Violet since the outfits are a bit better.

My thoughts on these games are okay. I'm not blown away but not disliking them. I'm not having as much fun as Arceus though, but playing Violet is sort of calming I guess. Graphics are a bit of a problem and honestly I do think Game Freak needs to put more time into these games, but I still am having a decent time with Violet. I'll admit it's sad because if it wasn't for the graphics/glitches, this could be seen as the best Pokemon switch game.

In terms of the graphics, I'm glad I'm someone who won't drop a game even if the graphics are bad or messed up. For me, I find gameplay and story/characters to be defining factors on wether I can keep going. I really like the designs and personalities of the characters, the open world, and most of the pokemon. I also feel an attachment to my team, which is always a good thing. I do miss some mechanics from Arceus, but I'm fine with playing these (though slowly).

Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying these games despite the problems.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote: Nov 23, 2022 6:10 amThis is unfortunately true, but there are four variants to choose from. Press the Left button on your D-pad and you can choose from them (and access any other customization options too). I personally like the winter one the most with the dark navy blazer. There is a lot of gloves, boots, bag, and hat options spread out around various cities, but I do find that the hats can look ridiculous with certain hairstyles. This is such a Game Freak thing to do though lmao. I remember how big customization was in X&Y and then they completely scrapped it ORAS. They did the same thing again with SUMO to Let's Go, letting the players only have set outfits while complete freedom in the previous entries. So, here we are again from Sw&Sh/Legends to S&V. I have seen speculation that DLC (which may or may not be real due to a datamine) will fully unlock outfits, but for now we're stuck as students lol.
Yeah, I ended up taking my hat off. Personally I think that the summer uniform looks the best, so I’ve kept that on. So far, I’ve only bought violet-colored accessories/articles of clothing to match my uniform. Question: are there other clothing stores outside of the main city, and do they offer different things?

My progress has been slow. I got my first gym badge (Bug) and my first Titan badge (I kinda ship my character with Arven; they’re so cute together). I’m currently in the city that houses that Water Gym, so when I play next I’m going to find the gym and start the gym challenge.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

FarmingForDaysMan wrote: Nov 24, 2022 6:59 amYeah, I ended up taking my hat off. Personally I think that the summer uniform looks the best, so I’ve kept that on. So far, I’ve only bought violet-colored accessories/articles of clothing to match my uniform. Question: are there other clothing stores outside of the main city, and do they offer different things?

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy gobble-gobble day~

Infact, yes, and you're right outside a town (the Water one) that has more clothing shops. IIRC, one of the shops offers full on biker helmets and other in the like. I cant remember every town that has a clothing shop, but there's at least two more outside of the main town.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

There's a handful of clothing stores throughout the map - my partner is really into buying clothing and swapping it out. I've mostly stuck with the default Scarlet uniform so far (though I agree, I like the Violet one better), I took off my hat and switched to the winter uniform. My partner and I stopped playing co-op because there weren't a ton of things to do together and we suspected the pokemon spawn rate is lower (haven't actually looked this up, but we both thought so). He told me it was because my clothes were uncool, lol. He still has to help me navigate the huge map, but he was doing that outside the game anyway.

The weather cycle is a bit of a mystery for me - also haven't looked this up. The weather and time of day ran differently in co-op between the games, which was... a little weird! I was expecting the RTC, since I just finished BDSP, but I haven't been able to figure out the length of the day/night cycles, how the rain and other storms work, etc.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Welp, last night I finished the main campaign and moved onto post game. Holy « Cow Poopoo » does the story ever take an interesting turn once you're done with the three main routes. I was in complete awe at how interesting things became and it almost felt like I was playing a different kind of JRPG for a while. The music in the last few hours of the game have definitely caught my attention for replaying on the side while pretty much nothing else I played this year has had any staying power. Like, the 'final boss' theme goes so « Snuggly Bunny » hard it sounded like it belonged in a Xenoblade game. It's honestly sad a good chunk of people aren't going to get to experience this fantastic story due to being put off by performance issues, but then again said people are the most vocally aggressive against the game as a whole, so their loss. I actually paused writing this to check and see who was responsible for for said song I'm glowing about and it's one of Toby Fox's! He did a good chunk of the music and I knew he did like, maybe one battle theme at least, but « Cow Poopoo », he freaking killed it overall. Seriously though do not look up what I've mentioned because you will be MEGA spoilered.

Anyways, with the game 'done' outside of the post game story and filling the Pokedex, I would like to give my pros/cons. They'll be spoiler free outside mentioning a few names that will be completely unknown to you unless you've already met said characters in the game.

Pros:

- The vast world is varied and fun to explore
- Character models of NPCs are more varied than ever, to buff girls, femboys, heavier set people, androgyny, varying skin colors - and they all have personality instead of being one note NPCs with the same animation rig
- Music is fantastic all around with the main exception of the school music looping too much
- Story has great buildup and pay off
- Sequencing breaking is fun and challenging
- Gyms have tasks/puzzles again instead of just battling your way through
- A lot of the best features from Legend's Arceus made it's way over into the game
- The main characters of each story are endearing in their own way (though Namona is a little bit much sometimes...)
- New Pokemon are great, my favorites being Flamigo, Maushold, Chi-Yu, and Iron Bundle (do not look up the last two)
- Raids are fast and automatic now after the slogs that were in Sw/Sh
- No fall damage
- Larry, I love him

Cons:

- Obligatory performances issues comment
- While the world is full of Pokemon and consumables, it could use more collectables overall as it feels empty a lot of the time
- Hucking Pokeballs and shiny indicator/sound on map is gone from Legend Arceus
- Your mount doesn't infinitely glide like BotW or Genshin, but instead retains the plummeting mechanic from Legend Arceus
- Weaker gyms/bases/big pokemon do not scale with you
- Some pokemon are WAY too SMALL and you will constantly run into them.
- Auto battle doesn't always work as intended
- Battling NPCs is sort of useless as most of the rewards you gain from doing so you can just buy in a city
- You can only enter houses/stores with welcome mats
- You can't change out of your school uniform.

Overall, I loved it and will continue to keep playing it. I'm actually really looking forward to playing it all over again with Scarlet when the Pokemon Home compatibility launches next year. I hope it does get a performance patch though, as it could use it and it would be nice if more people would come back to it and have a blast like I did.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I'm still having a blast with Violet, but am not super far 1. Because I am taking my time, and 2. Because my husband has been wanting to play a lot too since he's been on vacation time. I don't mind sharing, I just don't want him to spoil it for me, lol. I have beaten four Titans, three Star bases, and nearly four gyms. I am liking the respective storylines so far, though Nemona has way too much energy for me, lol. I really like the new Tera raids much better than the Dynamax raids, they are much quicker and snappier, when they are working correctly.

I have tried using some of the Austin John Plays link codes to trade for the other two starters, but apparently everyone else has baby Sprigatitos too, :P . I did happen to get a Quaxly in a wonder trade at least. I finally found where the Dittos are now too, so I am going to hatch some of those and see if I can have better luck getting a baby fire croc too.

I also think I have figured out the different levels for Pokemon obedience in this one. So I think usually only ones with other original trainers will disobey if overleveled, but ones that I have been the original trainer for have always listened regardless. In this entry it seems even ones you catch yourself, if they are at a high level and overleveled, they won't obey. However, if you have raised them up from low level or babies, even if they are overleveled, they will still listen.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I caught 2 more shiny Pokémon. My shiny count is now 3.

I'm not very far. I've battled 1 Gym Leader, did 1 Titan quest, and 0 for Starfall.
Roinda

Post  Posted:

Just got in from work and booted up Scarlet on my main switch. I chose Sprigatito though I didn’t give a nickname as I couldn’t think of a suitable one. Just met and battled Nemona. I don’t mind her, she’s nothing like Hop. (So far, anyway) I recently started a new play through of Sword on my second switch and I’d forgotten (or hadn’t realized) just how annoying he is, even Leon has his moments.

I’ve heard of Austin John Plays (he also plays AC) but I’ve never watched any of his videos. TagBackTV also plays Pokémon and has a few videos of Scarlet and Violet on YouTube but I’ve not watched them either. I’ve watched a few of his AC videos and find him an acquired taste. (She says whilst listening to one as she types this. I guess I’m just in the mood to do so.)