Worth Getting?

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
BlueSkye
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

whats worth it: Tale of Two Towns or SoS trio of towns ?
i had SoS as digital, tho i dont have it anymore sadly..
never player tale of two but it looks good..

its between buy SoS (physical copy) or buy Tale of two towns

Any suggestions?

Edit: oops wrong board!
someone move this over to Trio of towns board plz XP
HerbalTea
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I couldn't get into ToTT. 3oT, on the other hand, I enjoyed it considerably. It all depends on your personal preference.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

That's not a question anyone can answer for you. Only you can know what's worth your time.

For some, ToTT is their favourite Bokumono ever. For ME, ToTT wasn't worth it. I tried it twice, and hated it both times and couldn't get past a certain point, though I tried my best. I can't say anything good about it...I hated everything about it. I hated the two towns concept (they were too far apart and it took forever to go back and forth...half your day was gone in travel alone) and I disliked that it was all done via cooking contest. I hated the storage a lot. I hated the freshness system. Everything! Oh wait...no. I though the hand-fishing was an interesting idea.

Trio, on the other hand, I've played to completion...4 times? 5? I love it. It has a great number of characters, 3 distinct towns, a great goal system that keeps me motivated, and everyone has so many events...even non-candidate characters. In fact, it has SO MANY events that a lot of people complained when they started hitting 2 hearts with everyone because then a crazy amount of personal events became available and they'd be triggering all over the place :)

But that's how it is for ME. My experience could be your exact opposite. If we knew each other well, then I'm sure you could parse my opinion into info that'd help you figure out if YOU would like the game or not, but barring that, I'm not sure this can help you at all.

EDIT: Now if you have specific questions about what's in ToTT or Trio, that I can actually answer. Well, Trio. In ToTT I can only answer about the first part.
BlueSkye
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

thanks for your replys!
i was looking into tale ofTwo because i actully liked most bachollors/bacholorettes and the story seemed good. not the actuall how to progress it part tho, it sounds kinda anoying by what you mentioned.i dont mind that contest in some other harvest moons but if freshness is a thing in it, i bet your ingredients have to a certain freshness for the finished food to taste ok? if so, its a lil bit too involved. also idk how cooking = unlocks..plot? XD the logic seems off. (it should just like give recipes and make your products have more freshness insted of effecting geting further in the game) .-.

i thing to note, i LOVE customisation! i know SoS ToT has really good customization but not sure if there is much in Tale ofTwo..
Also love doing heart/flower events to see character growth /falling ig for a ig character.

in SoSToT i honesty have no idea for a bacholor to woo as none appeals to more than any other. nutural feeling i guess? but for bachlorette i definity know who i wanna woo. if i even make a boy file. i kinda perfer to play as my actual gender so i wont be playing the boy file much at all.
so basiclly my choises:
SoS ToT:
have great customization!
probs no marrige
not worrying about how progressing of plot as much. but wherther im actully going to want progess is TBD. (cuz no marrige)

so: 1 pro 1con 1pro+con together

TaleOfTwo:
i will wana be married, girl AND boy file!
maybe customization? But not great..
will likely get sick of trying to figure out how to progress.

1 pro 1maybe con? and 1for sure con
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yes, the freshness of ingredients does impact how well your recipes turn out. There is a way to ensure that ingredients stay fresh forever...by buying a high-grade storage system...but it's not available until late game, afaik. But the better your storage, the longer your fresh ingredients will stay fresh. Even the cheapo storage will keep things fresh long enough if you're good at planning your farming around your cooking festivals, but if you're not so good at that, you can wind up with a load of trash crops and nothing to cook with. You can cook in advance, but cooked dishes also have freshness.

Some people like that aspect, perhaps because they like inventory management (some do) or extra challenge/things to plan around, but personally I hated it.

The events in Trio are faboo. The events themselves are deeper than average for a Bokumono game, and there are way MORE of them. For example, with every candidate character, male AND female, you can see 2 friendship events. With the character of opposite gender to your player character, once you've seen a character's two friendship events, you can also see THREE romantic events where the candidate characters start to show increasing interest in the MC. (By the third event, it's quite clear that they're very interested, imo...it's not left ambiguous.) To see anything beyond the three romantic events, you'd have to start dating.

The events are so nice that even without any interest to begin with, you may find yourself interested in pursuing one of the candidates after seeing all of their available events, because they get filled with lots of personality.

Mind you, not everyone loves Trio. I did a poll once years ago and Trio did come out on top as Fogu's favourite, so lots of people like it, but I know there are those who didn't like it at all, if you want to get a better assortment of possible cons to Trio. I also really enjoyed the (many!) festivals in Trio. I particularly liked the Beverage Bash, where you choose 3 teammates by their ingredients, to make the best-tasting drink to win the contest. :) (I like how some villagers bring wedges of cheese, and mayonnaise and miso and grape jam and so on, lol, like those should go in a drink! Sometimes it's fun to choose the worst ingredients to see how terribly you can do and what awful responses you can get on your drink, lol.) The deity celebrations where you get to choose any dance partner from that deity's town is also very cute and a HUGE boost to FP if you do the fundraising in advance.

Well, I really liked Trio anyway, but if you want to get a more balanced bunch of pros and cons you can call out for people who didn't like Trio and I'm sure they can provide you with features they didn't care for.
Terdin
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I've played ToTT, but not Trio, and never had any problems with figuring out how to progress storywise. Sure, deciding what farm expansion to pick, as it's limited to once a season, does take some figuring out. The ending credits roll once when the tunnel's re-opened, then again when getting married (or the other way around if you seldom bother with the cooking festivals)

Going back and forth to the other village before the tunnel is re-opened does take half a day if stopping to forage and do other stuff, but just going across the five screens of the mountain takes about an hour of gametime. Opening the tunnel makes it just three screens, with fewer distractions until opening the mine (won't happen until year 5 at the earliest).

One thing I like about ToTT is that some of the male love interests have reverse proposals. There's also a jealousy system which kicks in once the bachelors or bachelorettes starts to get romantically interested in the player character, providing some realism compared to most of the other (earlier) games I've played. With how I want to see all the flower events with the various bachelors (gave up on playing as a boy, maybe because it was the first game I could play as a girl) and not wanting to rush through that, it took me a few years to get married, relying more on conversation and dating to raise affection only giving gifts occasionally.

One thing I don't like is that there are almost rivals. There are events after which the "couple" ask for help with birthday presents for their love interest, but none of them ever gets married which makes me wonder why they don't get their behinds off the procrastination cart.

I also like how the freshness system provides a degree of realism. Though even the worst cart lets you put old stuff on new (making it all new) rather than just put new stuff on old (making it all old), which helps extend freshness for crops to the end of the season. But for foraged stuff, you don't really want last year's stuff to hang around as next year will let you find better herbs and fruits, and only about a year or two after being able to get storage that doesn't lose freshness will that yearly improvement take a break.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh, yeah; if you care about reverse proposals...everyone in Trio has them, both male and female, and they're very easy to trigger. They also have reverse confessions where they are the one to ask YOU to start dating, rather than you having to do it. It's very easy to trigger the reverse confessions and reverse proposals. There is no jealousy system in place, though. You can see everyone's starter romance events as they're becoming interested in you, but you can only date one person at once and all others are just your friends from then on. No jealousy. Whether that's a pro or a con, though, depends on what you like.

(In fact, in Trio the reverse confessions were so easy to trigger that people had to be careful about talking to any candidate character while they had the confession item...a pendant...in their bag, or they'd end up with unwanted but very sweet confessions and then feel guilty for having to turn them down, lol. Not a problem with the proposal, though, since you can only be proposed to by the one you're dating.)

ToTT isn't difficult to figure out how to progress, imo, though that's my impression from the beginning. Really, since the main plot is just to succeed in the cooking contest repeatedly until you bring the two towns together, it's quite simple.

EDIT: Ooh, I forgot a thing. One thing about Trio that everyone was hesitant to believe. Trio has no FP decay from neglect. NONE. No matter how long you go without talking to a person, they will NEVER lose FP that way. (You can deliberately lower FP by giving presents they hate, if you want to, though.) I remember when we first foudn that out and everyone was so stunned they didn't believe it, lol, asking if everyone was SURE that was true, if maybe it wasn't just a longer grace period or etc. But really, there's none. It takes all the pressure off socializing. If you feel like going around chatting and giving out presents to everyone one day, but then don't feel like it again for a month, that's fine...you don't have to maintain your FP gain, it'll stay there forever. :)

I now resent any farming-sim sim that doesn't have that feature. I want to socialize on my own time, not feel FORCED to go around every X days just to avoid losing FP.
BlueSkye
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

ok the part that you cant lose FP unless you give disliked items in Trio seems right up my ally. (sometimes i forget to talk to certain characters/or run out of time in the day to do so)
*mentally adding a pro to Trio*

Going through a tunnel taking 30 ig minutes ( you said 30 right? XD ) or longer with foreging kinda sucks.
i usually sleep to end the day about an hour after shipments are picked up Unless a heart event i wanna see happening, then i stay up later :p
so more limited time in a already limited day:
*mentally adds a con to TaleOfTwo*

another question: what game would cost less? Canada price.
Tale is older so maybe costing less? unless its so older that is become rare to find, and therfore more expecive?

also: any customization to farm or self in Tale?
i loved moving bulding/farm items/crops around in New Begining + clothing was pretty cute when unlocked ^.^

im leaning towards Trio with the all the info so far, just seeing if i can add few more cons to finalize my choise :)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

If you can still manage to buy in digital (you can still buy games on the eshop on 3DS if you use the same Nintendo ID on your Switch and your 3DS, because you can add funds to your account via the Switch. The eshop will close down on 3DS on March 27th, as far as I know, so it's important to grab any games you want digitally NOW, becuase it'll never be an option after two or three more months.) ToTT is $22 on the eshop (I think that's CAD but I'm not sure.) In physical you can get it for about $46 CAD, but it does vary since you're probably looking at marketplace sellers, who all keep different prices...I also saw it for $80. I see Trio of Towns for sale in physical from $29 to $70. On the eshop it's listed as $35.

So they're fairly comparable in price but it depends on who you buy from. Look around well to get a good deal...don't buy the first thing you see because the price range is fairly large.

I...am not certain if there's much farm customization in ToTT or not. Where I was in the game you couldn't do any at all, beyond how you dig your trenches...it didn't appear to me that you could move buildings or change their appearance. But I was very early on and often that type of feature would unlock later.

Farm customization isn't great in Trio either, tbh. I mean, not terrible, but ANB was the very best of the Bokumono games for total control over your farm layout. I do like that Trio has crop fields you can pick up and move, like you could in ANB. (SoS1 bugged me because you can't move the fields of growing crops...you can only flatten them and start over.) There are about 12 different final house versions you can choose from, interior and exterior. You can't ever move your house, but you can move most other things.
Terdin
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

BlueSkye wrote: Jan 05, 2023 3:40 pm
Going through a tunnel taking 30 ig minutes ( you said 30 right? XD ) or longer with foreging kinda sucks.
i usually sleep to end the day about an hour after shipments are picked up Unless a heart event i wanna see happening, then i stay up later :p
so more limited time in a already limited day:
*mentally adds a con to TaleOfTwo*

also: any customization to farm or self in Tale?
i loved moving bulding/farm items/crops around in New Begining + clothing was pretty cute when unlocked ^.^
If I remember right, the money from your shipped items are only added to your account when you go to sleep. No set shipment time. Would that make you go to bed sooner or later? Going through the tunnel itself takes less than 30 in-game minutes, but then there's one screen on both sides, that connects the tunnel to the farms and the villages (and the mountain path) and also houses the shipping boxes. The mayors tend to go out to inspect the shipping boxes in the evenings, but that's not when shipment happens.

The farms have expansions, not customization, but there are a bunch of different clothes, and different-looking carts with the same amount of storage and refrigeration.
BlueSkye
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

woah. them price ranges tho! if id get tale, then i definitly wanna go digtal because about $22 is pretty darn good.. but i sadly cant do digital purchases as i dont have my 3ds linked to our family switch and probs wont anytime soon..
$45 for physical Trio is not terrible.. but then again, prices could be more like you said in some places.

i like being able to move crops around so yay! house dont matter as much. basicly wana move move barns/crops and shipping bins and ill be ok.
so a plus for trio!

oh! ok so i thought when the mayor person goes to check the bins is when its picked up! thats great if its when i sleep.
plus for tale!
ill probs with stay up for heart events if needed otherwise my day is almost always: water/seed crops, check on animals, then forage, talk to all villagers (if able) then sleep. XD

outfit is customizable! adding another plus to tale!
farm expansion asthetic is not as important to me as having crops/barn/bin neer the house.

hard choices. :p ill figure this out eventually tho. thanks for the help you two!!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

BlueSkye wrote: Jan 06, 2023 4:31 pm woah. them price ranges tho! if id get tale, then i definitly wanna go digtal because about $22 is pretty darn good.. but i sadly cant do digital purchases as i dont have my 3ds linked to our family switch and probs wont anytime soon..
$45 for physical Trio is not terrible.. but then again, prices could be more like you said in some places.
$45 was the price for ToTT in physical. The price for Trio in physical was $29. (I also saw one for about $70, but I assume you'd aim for the lowest price, as long as the shipping was reasonable.)

There are lots of outfits in Trio (LOTS) and quite a few hairstyles and facial features, too...it's probably the best character customization of the 3DS games. (But ANB was the best farm customization.)

You cannot move the shipping bin in Trio, but it is right outside the front of your house, basically...across from the farm customization table (which also cannot be moved.)

You don't have to have your 3DS linked to your Switch, but you do have to be using the same Nintendo ID on both to be able to use money you add on your Switch on the eshop on your 3DS.

Oh, btw, Trio has food effects, that apply status effects to your character. Meaning that you can use food to, for example, make you walk much faster, or slow time, or speed time up, or make fishing better (and fishing in Trio is a one-click deal...no button-mashing) or increase FP gain, reduce stamina usage, or give a -20% shop price decrease. (Very useful when you're about to make a huge purchase.) Not ALL food has status effects but plenty do. You can get some from the food you buy at the restaurant, or from some of the recipes you make for yourself.

Makes gameplay more customizable.

You can also do part time jobs every day for extra money and little extra bits of FP, and you can eat meals with any villager (including candidate characters) that you have at least a half heart of friendship with. Whatever they're eating, you'll have some to, and you'll get the stamina replenish from that food item as well as any food effects that happen to be on that recipe. It's VERY handy, especially in early game, and one reason why I always choose 'charmer' as the MCs personality. Plus they have dialogue that is unique to mealtimes.
BlueSkye
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

i knew Trio had awesome customization but i totally forgot about the personality trait thing! Huh!
Also pretty cool that food can also make time up/down + make shops prices cheeper. had no clue about that :0

i did play Trio really breifly when i had it digital around release.. i pretty much forgot everything about the game since tho since its been forever since ive owned or played it. XP
i was gonna get trio(again) but i then found out Tale was for 3ds as well as DS resently. i thought was just on DS. XD so thought id find out about both before i just go buy one. hence this post.

im leaning a bit more to Trio atm then Tale. honestly its the customization thats influencing me most. well, and the in depth relationship building or what it called XD

wondeing: does it tale awile to unlock more outfits? i remeber this overall outfit or somthing when starting but i was not a fan of it. is it possibe you unlock more clothing fairly quickly? and is it like all at once or one outfit at a time?
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

How can you lose a digital game? It should be re-downloadable. Did the 3DS you had it on get ruined, and you couldn't transfer your profile to a new one?

In Trio of Towns, each town has a large selection of clothing you can buy (order to have tailored), though you start off with only a few options in each of the three towns. You have to provide the materials. They unlock very early, but you won't be able to afford to buy the material (or to get the material from your own animals) right away. But you can start looking at them and planning what you want within the first season of the game. By the time you hit...Summer 5, I believe, you'll have access to all of the clothing shops. More styles will unlock as you level up your links to each town, and you also get clothing and accessories via some festival wins.

Hair customization unlocks shortly after you unlock the final town in early Summer of Year 1. You'll start with 10 hairstyles available, but you can unlock up to 52 via increasing town links, festival wins, times you've changed your hairstyle, and etc. There are something like...16 hair colours? (EDIT: Checked Cherubae's guide for Trio and there are 22 hair colours.)

You can also wear hats or hair accessories, and a variety of eye pieces like glasses, monocles, masks, etc.

When you unlock the 3rd town, after a couple days you'll be gifted 5 white cloth, so even if you haven't saved enough money to buy cloth of your own choice, each town has one outfit for each gender that can be made with just 5 white cloth, so you'd have a choice of 3 outfits you could change to at that point. Well, 6, if you're okay with wearing clothes meant for the opposite gender, of course. You can take your hat off (and change your clothes, though you may not have another outfit to change into yet) as soon as you've upgraded your house for the first time, as that will add the closet and the kitchen to your home.
BlueSkye
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

its a long story.. ima try to make it shorter.
i have about 3 difrent systems. 2 Original 3ds's and and a new 2ds xl.
game was on the 1st old 3ds's. i lost all my data on it about 6? years ago. all digital games were gone. people on my friend list was gone too. idk how it happened. i didnt format anything, and it was not a modded 3ds ether. since basicly everything was gone, i eventully did format it so i could try and start fresh. but of course at the time i didnt realized i could try to redownload it all from the shop and i kinda felt there was no point. (read edit)
years later i had anthor 3ds and had to format it beacuse it was formaly my sisters, so i could do new profile thing. i did re get game on it. now at 3 years ago, i bought a new 2ds xl so i sytems transferd from that 2nd old 3ds to the new 2ds. skip over to last july, when that new 2ds xl got bricked from messing around with some hacks i got on there from the year before. so since july i using on the 3ds that had all moved over to the 2ds. so the 3ds dont have it and the 2ds wont turn on so i cant play unless i ether get 2ds unbricked or redo on this 3ds..

edit: (when i first lost data+formated i was still in high school. i had (still have) bad anxiety and mind was in some bad places. i was at a point where nothing seemd to be worth it so i wasnt even able to think of the fact of redownldn or just make more 3ds friends elcewere.)
though if i hadnt done that first format orignaly, id proboly still have it and those other games to this day..