Rune Factory 3 Special trailer + RF6 teased.

Covering Innocent Life (PsP/Ps2), Rune Factory 1 (DS), Rune Factory 2 (DS), Rune Factory 3 (DS/Switch), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii), Rune Factory Tides of Destiny (Wii/Ps3), Rune Factory 4 (3DS/Switch/Steam), and Rune Factory 5 (Switch/Steam).
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Really wish I hadn't brought Rune Factory 3 a while back lol. I never thought they'd bring some of the old ones to Switch. It's cool that they are though. I don't think I'll buy it though since i already did in late spring (haven't had time to play yet), but it's interesting to see this. I do wonder how it'll sell though. It's honestly weird to have Rune Factory 3 come out since you can't play as a girl.

As for the new Rune Factory, I'm not excited about it right now. Maybe it's because I haven't had much time to play Rune Factory 5 or 4 yet. I'm also a tad cautious about it. I'm not sure if it'll be RF6 though. I mean it would make sense, but the way they've worded it sounds like it may be a spin off. Anyway, I hope Rune Factory fans are excited for these two things and get some good games.
Shortybread
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

There was an interview with the Chief Director of Rune Factory where he talked about RF3 Special, and the future of the franchise, including the possibility of remakes for RF1 and RF2! As well as a couple of other things. Really exciting read, in my opinion, so I thought I'd drop it off here for anyone who hasn't seen it! :)

https://www.4gamer.net/games/656/G065688/20221013045/
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So, no fooling here, but if RF&RF2 got remade, I would legit bawl my eyes out from happiness. I love them so dearly over the rest of the series. Not to say that I dislike 3-5, but the first two games have a very special place in my heart. They are clunky though compared to the gameplay of 3/4. Combat is not as fluid and QoL features like items remaining on the ground instead of disappearing are absent. Going back to them after the series natural evolution is hard these days. I hope if they do ever remake/remaster the first two that they fix it's issues as well instead of being 1:1 like RF3/4 are (because they basically are, there wasn't much to fix/improve on gameplay wise).
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Shortybread wrote: Oct 13, 2022 9:45 pm There was an interview with the Chief Director of Rune Factory where he talked about RF3 Special, and the future of the franchise, including the possibility of remakes for RF1 and RF2! As well as a couple of other things. Really exciting read, in my opinion, so I thought I'd drop it off here for anyone who hasn't seen it! :)

https://www.4gamer.net/games/656/G065688/20221013045/
The link is great. Sadly, I don't understand Japanese. :(

Fortunately, bruceMcgoos on Reddit posted a summary of what was revealed, however. I've copied what that redditor put down below. To read what bruceMcgoos posted at the source, it can be found within the comment section here -
bruceMcgoos wrote: New project is not Rune Factory 6
- The game is still in early development.
- Maekawa said they want a new challenge. He said that the series gameplay was 'perfected' in 3, and that the later games were mainly based off of RF3. They want the next numbered game to feel like a new adventure.
- reason why they didn't title it 6 is they didn't want to confuse/bewilder fans. He said in the interview that position-wise, the new game is close to Frontier and Oceans.
-They want to keep the 3 core elements of rune factory in the new game: Adventure, Life sim and Romance.
- Rune factory 6 is in their plans to be developed.

New Rune Factory 3 Special features
- New opening animation with new song
- more saves
- Newly wed mode like in RF4 special
- 3D models are completely new (unlike in RF4 where they reused the 3ds models)

Edit* Forgot to add that Maekawa said that depending on Rune factory 3 Special’s reception, they might consider remaking Rune Factory 1 and 2!
Shortybread
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote: Oct 14, 2022 4:48 am So, no fooling here, but if RF&RF2 got remade, I would legit bawl my eyes out from happiness. I love them so dearly over the rest of the series. Not to say that I dislike 3-5, but the first two games have a very special place in my heart. They are clunky though compared to the gameplay of 3/4. Combat is not as fluid and QoL features like items remaining on the ground instead of disappearing are absent. Going back to them after the series natural evolution is hard these days. I hope if they do ever remake/remaster the first two that they fix it's issues as well instead of being 1:1 like RF3/4 are (because they basically are, there wasn't much to fix/improve on gameplay wise).
I would love if they remade 1&2! I never got to play 2 and it's been so long since I played 1 that it would probably feel like a fresh game for me as well. I hope that they would bring those QoL features to them, yeah. It would make them more fun to revisit for longtime players, as well as more accessible to new fans of the franchise. Good all around, in my opinion, but I know that some people want as little to be changed as possible in remakes, so I guess we'll see! The fact that the director mentioned that RF3 was where they really perfected the formula makes me hopeful that they would bring along those QoL features to any future remakes though.
PaleSunflower wrote: Oct 14, 2022 5:51 amThe link is great. Sadly, I don't understand Japanese. :(

Fortunately, bruceMcgoos on Reddit posted a summary of what was revealed, however. I've copied what that redditor put down below. To read what bruceMcgoos posted at the source, it can be found within the comment section here -
bruceMcgoos wrote: New project is not Rune Factory 6
- The game is still in early development.
- Maekawa said they want a new challenge. He said that the series gameplay was 'perfected' in 3, and that the later games were mainly based off of RF3. They want the next numbered game to feel like a new adventure.
- reason why they didn't title it 6 is they didn't want to confuse/bewilder fans. He said in the interview that position-wise, the new game is close to Frontier and Oceans.
-They want to keep the 3 core elements of rune factory in the new game: Adventure, Life sim and Romance.
- Rune factory 6 is in their plans to be developed.
-snip-
I don't read/speak Japanese either, but google translate did a fairly good job with the article, if you wanted to read the whole thing!

I could be wrong, but I think that bruceMcgoos used google translate or something similar as well, because some of the wording is exact from the translation I read. Interestingly, they interpreted the bit about Frontier and Oceans the opposite to me. I thought that Mr. Maekawa was saying that Frontier and Oceans were in the same vein as the other titles in the franchise and they wanted to do something totally new.
This is what I got from google translate, if anyone else wants to give their take on it —
4Gamer:
 Next, please tell us about the new series development. When Rune Factory 4 SP was announced, Rune Factory 5 was announced as the latest numbered work, but what kind of work will it be this time?

Maekawa:
 As announced at Nintendo Direct, this is a project that has just started. So, I can't talk about the specifics of the game yet, but I would like to tell you that I'm thinking about various ideas to create a work that will be innovative, not a numbered work .

4Gamer:
 There was a lot of reaction on SNS, etc. saying, "Is Rune Factory 6 coming!?"

Mr. Maekawa:
 Yes. In the past, there have been works with different numbering titles such as " Rune Factory Frontier " and " Rune Factory Oceans ", but I think they are similar in terms of positioning.
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I don't trust the online translation machines for interviews. They've caused many misconceptions in the past, so I try to avoid them when possible. I will fully admit that redditor that I quoted possibly could have used an automated translator. I have no way of knowing for sure myself either way, but I quoted it because it has a possibility for not being machine translated.

With all that being said, generally having more translations, including machine ones, of something is a good thing, because different translations can have one bring out nuisances that one translation might touch upon but another didn't. A fuller understanding of something in another language can be achieved by comparing different translations and seeing what is different, with a bonus being if there are translation notes somewhere that explain the text further. For a lot of things, though, I'm lucky to get one translation at all, machined or otherwise.
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I'll buy a new RF3 only if they add a female protagonist. Otherwise what's the point? It'll be the same old game, after all, but with farming dumbed down for modern fans. Combat would be dumbed down, too, judging by how they botched it in RF5 (I had to use a custom mod to add Hell difficulty to the PC version, and even then, I quickly became overlevelled even for bosses).

This is exactly why I dislike ports and remakes, they're usually easier than originals and thus boring. The farming genre is already way too easy, which is why I tend to lose interest within one in-game year in any games I've played so far. Once I've got a lot of money and bought everything, it feels like there's no reason to play. So the easier the game, the faster I lose interest. Whenever a port or a remake is made, developers mistake 'QoL improvements' for 'gross simplification'. Almost always.

And RF6? We'll see how it turns out. I'll be waiting for the PC version, and I'm sure it'll be a very long wait. No point in mulling about it.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

^
As someone with a learning disability, I’m personally grateful the combat in these games has been dumbed down. If it’s too hard I won’t have interest in it lol

Never played RF3 so I might get this. Playing as a boy doesn’t really bother me.
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Shan O 123 wrote: Oct 15, 2022 3:21 pm As someone with a learning disability, I’m personally grateful the combat in these games has been dumbed down. If it’s too hard I won’t have interest in it lol
You can always play on easy difficulty! :heart: There's no reason for the devs to remove a difficulty that appeals to other types of people like they did with RF5 by removing Hell. That was low. Even on Normal or Hard, the game is considerably easier than RF4, so they didn't just remove the greatest difficulty, they made all of them a lot easier.

But I'm sorry for using the word 'dumbed down', I understand how it can be good for some people under specific circumstances. I only used it because they don't really think of you when they do it, they just think that all modern gamers want to play games without effort, so they do it for money, rather than out of consideration or kindness. Otherwise having an easy mode would be enough. I suspect they're worried that people take an issue with the mode that suits them being called 'easy' and make 'normal' easy instead, so that gamers would feel better playing on what really is an easy difficulty. :P
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It’s all good! I understand too. People just have different difficulty modes they prefer.
Shortybread
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I don't know if everyone's seen it already, but yesterday there was a live presentation with some more information on RF3S!

They talked about some of the things included with the special edition, as well as bonuses for buying from certain retailers, none of which I know if we'll get over here in the west. :( They also talked about newlywed mode, and another episode, and said in a tweet that another episode will be free for the first month after the games release. They showed off Lest and Ares costumes for the main character that you get if you have save data from 4S and 5, too. They posted tweets about some of it -
Spoiler:

There's also a complete new opening animation which was posted seperately after the presentation.

And then, the last thing that stood out as notable to me was that they showed off the addition of a higher difficulty like in RF4S.
Spoiler:
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

New opening is cool, though it's odd they left out one bachelorette. Well, it probably has a second one after a certain story beat and she'll be included in that one.
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Hell in RF3S?! Now that's a legitimate reason to play it! RF5 was such a letdown after RF4S, without Hell. Even though I've used a mod that added Hell, but it certainly did something incorrectly, because Hell was nothing like Hell was in RF4S. Still too easy, I got grossly overleveled by just doing the main story :(

Still going to wait until RF3S is modded to play as a female protagonist, though. Even for the old version there's a patch that does it, even though it only changes all pronouns and nothing else. But Micah looks feminine enough that it was fine.
Marigold
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I'm actually kinda glad it looks like a faithful remake and they didn't change anything drastic
Spoiler:
:roll: fomt remake
And I'm so excited to play the new difficulty and have slightly updated graphics :lala:

Oh and new rune factory sounds interesting. Wouldn't mind playing in the Sechs Empire or another Raguna game :lol:
BrokenHearted
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

So has there been any word on whether XSeed will be using Natsume's localization or not? It seems strange that they would yet all the english screens seem to be using names from the Natsume localization. Or is it that the japanese names leave for very little possibilities for translated names? I'm curious to know if they would have gone to the lengths of localizing it completely from japanese or if they potentially bought Natsume's localization.

Since the game will finally be available in other languages besides english (french, german, spanish), I know they did have to localize for the first time in those languages, but I'm curious for the english one.