1 year later...

A Nintendo Switch/PC/Ps4/XBox remake of the 2003 Gameboy Advance games HM: Friends of Mineral Town and HM: More Friends of Mineral Town. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Oct 2019. NA release = Jul 2020. EU release = Jul 2020.
Thomaster
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Hey there everyone! Yesterday was my 1-year anniversary of having played Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town for the very first time! I would've talked about it then, but I was juuust getting used to the forum, since I just joined, and needed some time to adjust to the format, because I was getting pretty confused! :shock: So, I decided I'd just post about it now instead, now that I've got the hang of it. :lala:

I got this game as a Hanukkah gift last year - actually, more of a "replacement" for an unrelated defunct gift - I got to choose a game that I wanted, and just so happened to spot SoSFoMT on Amazon. I didn't really think I needed another farming game, I mean I was pretty happy with just having Harvest Moon DS (and a copy of Stardew Valley that I never used and still don't) but I couldn't really find anything else, so I decided I'd just get it.

Boy, imagine an alternate universe where I hadn't done that! This game was my gateway to the online Harvest Moon/SoS community. Prior to this, I knew there was a community, but didn't really interact - not just because I was spooked because of talk relating to Thomas, but also because I didn't think I'd have much to add to the conversation, playing the same game over and over.

I've made so many great friends because of this game and I'm just super grateful that it just so happened to waltz into my life. :heart: I still haven't done everything there is to be done in the game - I don't tend to make much progress in a session, I just kind of do whatever - but honestly, I'm happy that way! I love just making itty bitty bits of progress.

As per usual in this game like all the other games I've played in the series, (SoSFoMT actually pushed me to try other HM games, mainly the classic ones like BTN and 64) I have not married anyone. I do have really good friendship with most of the characters, including the bachelors and bachelorettes, but I'm sure you all know my bias towards the mayor at this point. All or nothing, baby!

And hey, I would love to know your guys' stories regarding this game as well, even if you've been playing since it launched! I'm sure you have a lot more stories to tell than I do. I would also love to just have some general discussion, too! If any, what's your favorite memory with this game? Favorite character? :?: Be sure to let me know, and I'll get right back to you!
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

It's good to see how much you love this game and have had a lot of fun with it. It's also cool that you've made many friends. I think SoS Mineral Town is a good game and I've had a blast. For me, when I got it, I didn't fully get into it. Yeah I enjoyed it, but it wasn't till I replayed it this year that I grew to really love it. For me the best memory of the game is wooing Gray. He's my fav character in the game. My funniest memory is when Gourmet literally gets handsome. It was so out of place and weird and quick, that I ended up doing the event over just to see it XD. I think my only gripe with this game is the changed system for the animals. It's highly annoying to have to breed animals just to get that exta heart and then sell the old ones. I tend to get attached to my animals, so it's hard to have to sell the ones with hearts lower than eight ;-;
Thomaster
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

infel wrote: Dec 08, 2022 2:41 am It's good to see how much you love this game and have had a lot of fun with it. It's also cool that you've made many friends. I think SoS Mineral Town is a good game and I've had a blast. For me, when I got it, I didn't fully get into it. Yeah I enjoyed it, but it wasn't till I replayed it this year that I grew to really love it. For me the best memory of the game is wooing Gray. He's my fav character in the game. My funniest memory is when Gourmet literally gets handsome. It was so out of place and weird and quick, that I ended up doing the event over just to see it XD. I think my only gripe with this game is the changed system for the animals. It's highly annoying to have to breed animals just to get that exta heart and then sell the old ones. I tend to get attached to my animals, so it's hard to have to sell the ones with hearts lower than eight ;-;
OMG yeah!! Gourmet turning handsome is definitely such a funny part of the Cooking Festival. I remember thinking it was so funny, too! :lol:

I didn’t play the original till after I played the remake, and so I’m just kind of used to this animal system when it comes to FOMT, but yeah I can totally see why that may be a bit disheartening to sell animals that you get so attached to! For me, I focus more on crops and mining with a bit of fishing. :lala:
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The Gourmet becoming handsome was hands down the best surprise of all game hahaha... simply the best! LOL
I played MFoMT a long time ago and decided to go for Cliff this time, so the relashionship part is all new to me. The whole game brought me a huge amount of nostalgia, because I played the original version when I was 18 and now I'm 33 (dang, I'm old).
All in all, I agree that the breeding system is unnecessary and boring, to say the least. And I felt the game was way too easy overall speaking, since I just reached year 5 and accomplished most things I could do, including upgrading my tools to mythic level, one thing I could never ever dream of doing in previous games. Reach the bottom of the mines in BTN? Forget it. All thanks to the huge backpack and save-load system, I could do it finally.
I understand one thing I'll never will get is the Mountain cottage, because I seriously don't want to sleep through, and I just won't play for 50 years.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Thomaster wrote: Dec 08, 2022 10:59 am
infel wrote: Dec 08, 2022 2:41 am It's good to see how much you love this game and have had a lot of fun with it. It's also cool that you've made many friends. I think SoS Mineral Town is a good game and I've had a blast. For me, when I got it, I didn't fully get into it. Yeah I enjoyed it, but it wasn't till I replayed it this year that I grew to really love it. For me the best memory of the game is wooing Gray. He's my fav character in the game. My funniest memory is when Gourmet literally gets handsome. It was so out of place and weird and quick, that I ended up doing the event over just to see it XD. I think my only gripe with this game is the changed system for the animals. It's highly annoying to have to breed animals just to get that exta heart and then sell the old ones. I tend to get attached to my animals, so it's hard to have to sell the ones with hearts lower than eight ;-;
OMG yeah!! Gourmet turning handsome is definitely such a funny part of the Cooking Festival. I remember thinking it was so funny, too! :lol:

I didn’t play the original till after I played the remake, and so I’m just kind of used to this animal system when it comes to FOMT, but yeah I can totally see why that may be a bit disheartening to sell animals that you get so attached to! For me, I focus more on crops and mining with a bit of fishing. :lala:
Yeah, it was out of nowhere, and I found it super funny. I don't really get why they did that, but it gave me a good laugh. As for the animals, I don't mind it too much. It's just a bit of an annoying process. I find though that like you, many people prefer to just grow things, fishing, mining etc as ways to make money. Honestly, these are better ways and sometimes caring for livestock can be annoying. Still, I can't help it and really love having animals, especially since they are really cute :heart:
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Mabbie wrote: Dec 08, 2022 3:01 pm The Gourmet becoming handsome was hands down the best surprise of all game hahaha... simply the best! LOL
I played MFoMT a long time ago and decided to go for Cliff this time, so the relashionship part is all new to me. The whole game brought me a huge amount of nostalgia, because I played the original version when I was 18 and now I'm 33 (dang, I'm old).
All in all, I agree that the breeding system is unnecessary and boring, to say the least. And I felt the game was way too easy overall speaking, since I just reached year 5 and accomplished most things I could do, including upgrading my tools to mythic level, one thing I could never ever dream of doing in previous games. Reach the bottom of the mines in BTN? Forget it. All thanks to the huge backpack and save-load system, I could do it finally.
I understand one thing I'll never will get is the Mountain cottage, because I seriously don't want to sleep through, and I just won't play for 50 years.
Yeah, it's super funny. I played the original games when they came out to the west and it was a delight. I fell for Grey and Cliff hard, and I've always had a hard time choosing them. This game is a delight for me for various reasons, though there are things I wish they did a better job on. You are very right that the game is super easy. Even on normal mode it's easy. I honestly wish they added a hard mode to the game. Overall I really have enjoyed it, but it's not as good as BTN or Mineral Town for GBA. I did really like the added heart events though and sometimes playing it makes me a bit sad because the original games were part of my childhood ;-;
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I cherish BTN so much because it was a whole new world in terms of gaming experience for me. Mary is and always will be my favorite bachelorette, and her theme music is just the sweetest of them all :heart:
I like lots of HM and SoS versions, but Mineral Town is just special to me <3

When I first played BTN (I never had the girl version) I fell for Cliff. But then when I played MFoMT I married Doctor LOL... don't ask me why hahah. Only now I decided to marry Cliff, altough I was really torn between him and Rick.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

FoMT/MFoMT is still one of my favorites in the series! I bought both the originals when they came out, but I played a lot more of MFoMT because I desperately wanted to marry Kappa, lol. I played it almost exclusively on a Gameboy Micro, and often on the bus when I was commuting to work. A lot of people asked about it, mostly because of the GBM. I was more interested in telling them about MFoMT.

I still loved it as SoSFoMT, it's one of the few games where I love pretty much all the marriage candidates. I love all the little incidental snippets of story you get from wandering around the town, too. Still didn't get the requirements to marry Kappa (though I definitely considered marrying gourmet ^_^), but I did finally get the blessed tools and cleared the mines, etc, this time around.