Have you played the original AWL?

What happened to Murrey!? A remake of Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (2004) and Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (2005) for Nintendo Switch. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jan 2023. NA release = June 2023. EU release = June 2023.

Have you played any incarnation of the original AWL?

You may select 1 option

View results

Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Someone in one of the other threads thought they might be the only person here who hasn't played the original game, and I knew that wasn't the case, as I know for sure there are plenty who haven't. I am included...have never played AWL or any other version of it. So I decided to put up a poll to grab some quick feedback. Just how many of us HAVE played it?

I don't know how many versions of A Wonderful Life there are...I've heard of a Special Edition and a 'girl version': "Another Wonderful Life"...I assume that's it? The question is if you've played ANY version of the original, even if it was released later...any version of AWL other than the remake coming up in 2023.

Do you think you're looking forward to this game more because you have already played it and love it, or does it seem like would it be more exciting if it was all new? Will having played it before make you more critical of changes, or more appreciative of them?
shayachan
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Pretty sure there's these three versions:

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (Gamecube, boy version)
Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (Gamecube, girl version)
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition (Playstation 2, boy version)

Maybe they released in this order, but not sure. The Gamecube AWL for boy was definitely the first.

Personally, the first AWL was my very first Harvest Moon game ever when I was a child. It felt very magical to me and I have loved it a lot ever since! Just recently I played the girl version. I had started it multiple times before, but only this last time I actually finished it (it was also the very first time I eeever finished the game at all, when I had it as a child I think I only got up to chapter 4).

I think people who have played it before and are looking forward to it, and people who have never played it before and are looking forward to it can have the same amount of fun in the Remake, hype is a powerful thing lol. For me the nostalgia is a huge factor, just because the game was such an important part in my childhood and I connect it with happy feelings, summer break and all that nice stuff. I am devouring all the info I can find online and I just need moooore. I am so incredibly happy about the Remake, and am looking forward to it so much!
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I never had a Game Cube or a PS2, so I haven't played this version. I'm really excited to meet a whole new Harvest Moon universe! <3
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I played both A Wonderful Life and Another Wonderful Life. I never had the Special Edition, but my cousin did.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Just wanna be clear:
Kikki wrote: Dec 08, 2022 7:44 am Do you think you're looking forward to this game more because you have already played it and love it, or does it seem like would it be more exciting if it was all new? Will having played it before make you more critical of changes, or more appreciative of them?
I'm not asking anyone to compare themselves to others, in this. The only way this can be answered is from your own experience. It's different for everybody, whether they'd be more excited in A condition or in B condition.

I can't use AWL as an example because I haven't played it, but everybody who knows me has probably realized I am absolutely stupid for Xenoblade Chronicles X. A fantastic game that is Wii U exclusive, and the best game of exploration I have ever played, barring NONE. (Not even Breath of the Wild, which was also a fantastic game of exploration...but not quite as fun as XCX!) I was waiting on in in 2015 when it was first released, and I was excited for it. It was my second Xenoblade game, but I knew it was going to be really different (a 'spiritual sequel' rather than a direct one) but the gameplay looked amazing. I was quite hyped.

However, now that I've played it, I would have a (very quiet) meltdown if they announced a port, even a straight, unenhanced port with no additional content. I'd be even MORE excited for it than I was when waiting for it to release for the first time because I KNOW how great it is and I want more than anything for them to give that sadly limited game a new life on a successful console with a big userbase. I'd be extra excited if they added a few improvements and a bit of extra content or QoL. HOWEVER...if they changed anything I don't approve of or think was badly done, it'd be a much bigger blow than if I didn't already have an attachment to how the game is.

I certainly couldn't say that I was more excited than Joe Schmo, lol. I have no idea what Joe Schmo's feelings are, only my own. That's what I asked about in the OP...if you think YOU would be more excited/appreciative/whatever if your situation were different than it is, or if you think you're in the optimal hype condition as you are.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Oh, Kikki, to answer your question, I personally think that the remake would seem more exciting to anyone that hasn’t played the originals. I mean, I am excited for the game because of nostalgia, but I am not fond of a lot of the changes that are being made because I played the originals and I loved everything about those games. But as you said, it just depends on the gamer. I know there are people who have played the originals and are welcoming all of the changes with open arms. Perhaps I’m just a stickler :lol:
Crystal Power
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

I have played all three versions of A Wonderful Life, the original Gamecube release was actually my first game in the series. The game is precious to me but I honestly love Trio of Towns and the 2 Wii titles more.

EDIT: I should elaborate on the other question you asked, but despite these games being my first in the series and me feeling very fond of them I feel a bit more excited for the remakes, contrary to how most people approach their most adored games/media being remade.
Kikki wrote: Dec 08, 2022 9:22 am I can't use AWL as an example because I haven't played it, but everybody who knows me has probably realized I am absolutely stupid for Xenoblade Chronicles X. A fantastic game that is Wii U exclusive, and the best game of exploration I have ever played, barring NONE. (Not even Breath of the Wild, which was also a fantastic game of exploration...but not quite as fun as XCX!) I was waiting on in in 2015 when it was first released, and I was excited for it. It was my second Xenoblade game, but I knew it was going to be really different (a 'spiritual sequel' rather than a direct one) but the gameplay looked amazing. I was quite hyped.
Just seeing someone praise Xenoblade X have me so excited over here that I have to say something, ahaha! I'm another person that finds this game absolutely amazing, I say X and 3 are my favorites in the Xenoblade series but I think it was just the hype for 3 because I'm definitely feeling more attached to X at this point and it's important to note that I played both titles this year for the first time!
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I tired to play the SE version a few years ago but I ended up dropping it for a silly, but valid reason. The MC's footsteps were as loud as a kaiju stomping through a city and there was no way to make it quieter. I couldn't bloody think the whole time I was trying to play. One could argue that I could have just played it muted, but I'm a highly music motivated gamer (seriously, I hardly listen to anything else besides video game OSTs these days) and I just decided it would be one in the series I'd skip.

With that being said, I played the ever loving « Puppy Doodoo » out of DS and DS Cute back in the day, so I was attached to the game's setting and characters regardless. I'm happy that I'll finally be able to play the game, now with a fresh coat of paint and tons of QoL improvements. I am reasonably hyped regardless of me not playing the og because of my experience with other titles in the series. I'm looking forward to playing another HM/SoS with goals too as my fave in the series is Hero of Leaf Valley. I like having more than just farming and wooing.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I played the original game back on the GameCube. I liked Harvest Moon 64 more at the time, but I still have a lot of fond memories of this one. I didn't ever finish it so I'm looking forward to having the game in portable form with some quality of life changes. I'm also excited to play it alongside my mom since she's never played the original, so it will be all new to her. So far I've been onboard with most of the changes - I'm loving the redesigns (especially Nami :heart:) and the addition of more inclusive gender options is really exciting to me.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Played both the original and the girl version on the Gamecube, and nostalgia makes me curious about the remake, but... doesn't make me excited for it. It's been long enough since the originals were out to justify a remake, but I'm not even close to deciding if what's there is enough to justify a purchase. (For me, of course. I completely support the hype of everybody who's there for it.) The biggest changes have been to character designs, most of which I'm not a huge fan of. They feel wishy-washy at best, like an attempt at a middle ground between the most marketable designs and the originals.

Now that I've written 'wishy-washy', I think that's my biggest gripe with the game. It feels wishy-washy. Remakes are sort of expected to be a big visual upgrade, or a huge overhaul of mechanics. It's not a very big graphical leap imo, and I'm withholding my verdict on whether or not it's different enough to justify a remake. To be fair, in large part, probably all of these remakes are the final resolve of the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons name debacle. Big ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ energy.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ridiculous squealy, bouncy hugs for both Crystal Power and Shayachan, my fellow XCX lovers :)

I think this game's pre-release period has been nice so far, at least as much as I've been paying attention to it, at least. There's a bit of criticism of course (it'd be weird if there wasn't, for ANY game, remake or new) but it seems like those who are discontent with the remake, or just aren't interested in it, are content to leave this board mostly to those who are hyped. I think people who are disappointed in something they love deserve to have as much say as anyone else, but it's nice to see people largely enjoying themselves. No one has seemed outraged or crushed, this time, as some of us were with FoMT and Olive Town (and I was one of the ones who was suuuuuper disappointed in Olive Town from first reveal and continued to be forever, even after trying it, so I'm not picking on those people! I understand that feeling all too well when new entries come into a favourite series.) Maybe we're getting used to disappointment, LOL. Not a good way to put it, but...personally I no longer expect to want what Marv puts out, so if I DO get anything, it's just a nice surprise. :)

Since I know nothing about the original art, I don't have any strong feelings about the direction they're taking this time. The characters look pretty interesting. I never liked the idea of passing the game onto your child (if that's even how it works) so I never wanted to play AWL and the remake doesn't interest me, either, but it's interesting that they're working their way through the series. (They're not doing it in order, are they? Do they seem to be doing it in order of popularity? Is there a method to their madness?)

Seems like they want to reclaim all the most popular entries at the very least by rebranding them with the 'Story of Seasons' name (though do they even care much about how it's branded outside of Asia?) I think it's pretty clear they'll keep doing this...I suspect interspersing new games with remakes every year or two. I'm curious where they'll go next. Seems like they'll definitely get to AP sooner or later...unless it wasn't popular in Japan, I guess. That's the one remake pre-3DS I'm most interested in.

I think SoS: AWL will be quite successful, and I hope it's lots of fun. :) Nobody's got to answer the questions I asked here, I'm just yakking! Haven't wanted to dilute the main threads.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I've played all the versions of A Wonder Life. The gamecube games and the playstation 2 game. I've never finished them because the games could get a bit too boring at times, but my mom loved them. The gamecube games are pretty good and it was cool seeing how different A Wonder Life was compared to the others Harvest Moon Games. I played the boy version first and went for Nami, who has always been a really cool character to me. It was a fun time and I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the game.

I played the girl version later. I didn't like it at first because Marlin and Gustafa were much older, and I was a kid. So, to no surprise, I went for Rock. This was a mistake and taught me not to go just by looks. He was cute, but not a very good husband and I didn't like our kid. Eventually I did replay the game and went for Marlin and he was great. Never married Gustafa but he is attractive as well. It was this game that made me not like Rock though.

As for the playstation 2 game, I would never suggest it to anyone unless one wanted to marry Lumina. The reason for this is that the game runs terribly on the playstation 2. I don't get why, but it just does. I'm really glad though that Lumina is dateable in the remake. It'll give people a chance to woo her if they never played the PS2 version or couldn't get through it. Another thing to note about the PS2 version was that it wasn't much different from the gamecube version except for a few different things.

With how I feel for the new game, I'm not as excited as I was with Mineral Town and Rune Factory 5, but this may just be because I've been tired lately. I still want to get the game and play it and it'll cool to see what they do with it. I think a good number of people will enjoy it and I hope i do too. I also think that players who liked/loved the originals are excited for this. I hope it does well too, because then maybe we'll get other remakes. I really want Magical Melody, Sunshine Island, and Animal Parade :heart: .
StormFire
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Yes, I’ve played Another Wonderful Life on the GameCube growing up and then I went on to buy the Special Edition for A Wonderful Life digitally to play on my PS4. It’s one of my favorite entries in the series because of how realistic it is. I prefer Another Wonderful Life (probably because of nostalgia and Marlin lol.) I’ve been super excited for this remake, to the point that when I first saw the trailer and heard the music tears started falling!

On another note, I’ve also played DS Cute, which I felt improved on many things from AnWL. I guess I’m just really hoping there’s more marriage candidates that have yet to be revealed, coughskyepleasecough. :lol:
Anna_Lynn
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

I've played all three AWL games and both DS ones too, so I was pretty excited to see them remake an iconic entry in the franchise. I've always loved the cast of villagers in AWL and FoMT the most, so it's convenient that both games received remakes now, lol. Not to mention AWL is the closest to a fully open-world Story of Seasons game. Magical Melody is kind of close, but that had a top-down fixed camera; same-ish with ToT and AP on Wii. Crazy to think that HoLV on PSP was the last entry with a 360° controllable camera, over a decade ago.

Well anyway, I'll be playing it day 1 when it releases next month, and honestly I can't wait!
StormFire wrote: Dec 08, 2022 10:12 pm On another note, I’ve also played DS Cute, which I felt improved on many things from AnWL. I guess I’m just really hoping there’s more marriage candidates that have yet to be revealed, coughskyepleasecough. :lol:
Yessss, Marvelous just give us Skye and Witch Princess (or Leia tbh) as mythical candidate DLC, they would work so well as nighttime characters wandering around the valley! It hurts to admit that they probably won't do this though since they didn't bother adding anything from BTN into the FoMT remake. :(
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I've also played the originals, but I don't think I finished them. I think I tried hardest with the original Gamecube version, but I disliked the farming mechanics and some of the day to day stuff so much that it kinda threw me out of the game, even though I loved all the others at the time and I loved the story. I bought AnWL to give it a second chance, more prepared for the mechanics, but I really disliked all the bachelors (a problem I often had with the "girl" versions). I bought the SE, hoping I could actually try again for real this time and marry one of the nice girls, but I can't remember if I played much of it.

It's kinda funny how much love there is for the old AWL games, as I remember them being unpopular at the time. Though maybe I was lurking in negative feedback corners? It may have tainted my own perception. I'm always more happy to see positivity, so I'm glad so many folks enjoyed them.

I'm pretty pumped for the remake! I think they did better by the bachelors this time, though I think I'll still probably marry one of the girls. I haven't been following much of the promo reveals, hoping to go into it a bit blind. I probably won't play it right away, but I'm really looking forward to the update, and to finally seeing the story through. It deserves it! I'm somewhat tempted to go back and play the original, but I don't wanna burn myself out.