Backlog 2023

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Currently playing:

Pokemon Violet (Switch)
Grammarian Ltd. (Switch)
Just Dance 2023 (Switch)

Recently beat:

Pokemon Violet (Switch) (main story)

I'm really close to finishing the Pokedex in Pokemon Violet.

I bought Just Dance 2023 on the Switch, plus the 13-month Just Dance+ content (the Ultimate version was on sale). The only thing I really don't like about it is that there's no support for left-handed players. (You can only play with you right hand.) I've gone through the story mode and a few other songs by themselves.

I also started Grammarian Ltd on the Switch. It's actually challenging in places. Grammarian Ltd. reinforces English grammar for native speakers, or very advanced speakers of English.

Add on:

I recently bought Just Dance 2023 (on Switch), plus the Just Dance+ of new content for a year. (The Ultimate version was on sale)

Games Bought: (on Switch) + 17

Game Beat: (on switch) -1
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Been playing Dragon Quest 11 one and off this week. Due to some problems, I haven't been able to play much else and not much Dragon Quest 11, but I'm glad I got some time in. Dragon Quest itself is a fun game. I played it about two years ago and got ten hours in. I really enjoyed it, but stopped for a while. I wasn't planning on playing it right now, but with how I've been feeling, I needed a rpg that was somewhat calm, turn based, and not too dark. Playing it again, it's fun and I really am liking my time with Eric. I'll say I'm already 5+ hours in and haven't gotten too far because I've been training or going around the towns. It's still a good time for me and I'm hoping I can stick with it and beat it.

As for other things, I may go back to Animal Crossing to do this hard challenge I've been seeing or maybe just to build up my town more. I also want to finish up Story of Seasons Mineral Town. I also am play testing Persona 4 and Xenoblade 1 to see if I can get into them again. Still, I think I'll stick with Dragon Quest for a while in terms of playing RPGs.

Anyway, thats what's been going on with me since the last time. I'm really hoping I can stick with Dragon Quest 11 and finish it. Once I do that, maybe then I can finish Trails in the Sky FC.
cinnamon_yuki
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

It was a hectic work week, and I couldn't play from Monday to Thursday. I have trouble sleeping during those times too. Now that it's been dealt with (Thank goodness). I was able to rest yesterday and today. I spent some time visiting my ACHN island after 1 year and 8 months. It's fun seeing my townsfolk again, especially Raymond and Marshal. XD And then proceed to play Fire Emblem Engage. I have to admit that I prefer Byleth and Robin as MC over Alear but it's understandable since Alear is 18 mentally. But I can't shake the fact that Alear felt like your typical shojo protagonist. (Maybe I'm getting old?) :lol: I'm still getting used to the controls since it's been a while since I last played a turn-based game. I mostly played as ARPG so I kept forgetting that there's no dodge button. XD
Bluie wrote: Jan 28, 2023 6:22 am It's just kinda weird that they decided to go this route with such a large cast of characters - especially when most of them get zero development outside support. It's not like Fire Emblem hasn't done this before, in fact, it's been doing this since the GBA games. A select few get involved with the story while the rest just quietly join your army after a one-liner or an introductory chapter. They leave it up to YOU because you're going to get attached to your party members (whichever you decide to use) prompting your curiosity. And this is fine as it's how it's always been done, but why make gaining support in your newest game harder than the previous titles? Three Houses had various ways to gain support outside battle (choir, meals, training) so it seems really dumb to put limitations on the grind when there's no need to. It's just added padding imo, and the game doesn't need it because I found out yesterday it's 26 chapters when I thought it was only 20. IDK if I'll play it today or not, but I'm basically good to just full-throttle the story now.
What?? They remove activities gaining support outside of battle ? That's awful... I suppose I have to choose who will be in my main party then. And that's a lot of chapters... XD I might re-start again Engage either way since I will be playing Hogwart's Legacy in 10 days so I might forget what's happening in Engage.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Today was my big gaming day of the week, so I got all the Genshin Lantern Rite story bits done. At least, I think I did. There's no more story that's come up after the Epilogue section finished, though I haven't come across any of the bits I've been hearing mutterings about... Maybe they'll show up tomorrow? :?:

« Harvest Goddess » damn the animation at the end of part 2 of the story. I swear, every time we get a prerendered FOV I say this, but the animators at Mihoyo just keep getting better. When they get free reign it's SO polished.

It legitimately makes me sad that such polished content is going to just be thrown in the garbage. That people who download the game for the first time in two weeks will NEVER experience it. Nothing I can do about it, but it makes me sad.

The epilogue was shockingly cute, too. I normally hate sections of characters just yacking at each other, but everybody was pretty funny. Since the Sumeru plot I've been legitimately attached to Paimon, and everybody from Liyue is genuinely cute. I may have been drinking at the time, and have definitely spent far too much time with these characters, but they got a couple of laughs and a few screenshots out of me from the expressions alone.

Ran around and picked up a few more chests in Liyue afterward. Still got one region of Mondstadt locked at 97%, which is guaranteed part cause I've never done multiplayer, so I don't have the heart chest, but I have to be missing one or two more beyond that. And I have zero clue where they are.

Boy do I wish there were treasure trackers like the occuli ones. Even if they were resource intensive, I'd SO much rather spend resources than time at this point. Not even knowing for sure where one region starts and the other ends does NOT help. Which is one plus I'll give to island areas, if nothing else.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Clenching/spasms getting overall worse but my coping skills are getting better. Net zero, perhaps?

I 'finished' Trio. I completed the Farming Tips on the very last day of Year 1, then ended up being forced to skip the first day of Year 2. (I hate when events hijack an entire day on you, it always throws me off!) By about the 5th day of spring, I finally got an eligible rainy day and pinned Yuzuki down PRONTO. And then the very next day, even though it was a Tsuyukusa festival, I got a reverse confession. 'Tomorrow' I should be able to get Yuzuki's yellow event, but then I'll have to progress a little bit slower since I have to raise his colours through orange, pink and red. Not a big deal since I now have mugwort and sticky rice; I can plump him right full of Yomogi Dumplings. :) I wanna get Syrah hitched!

I turned out to have enough stuff to get the next house upgrade (that will now allow me to redecorate inside and outside separately, which is nice since I tend to like the brilliant Lulukoko interiors but elegant Tsuyukusa exteriors) so I got that. I've never ignored house expansion for this long but it hasn't been a priority, this time. Now I should see if I have the stuff for the large expansion and the big bed, though I wish they gave the child a separate bed.

Well I'm done the 'story' anyway. I can call this replay complete at this point, if I wanna, though I'll definitely get all towns to A and get the farmer married before moving on to something else. Ah, I was working on Zestiria. Guess I'll go back to that. Oh wait, I've got Kynseed, too. I guess I should play enough to decide if I like it or not. It has a very cool atmosphere and an interesting setting, but the characters/dialogue are shallow, which is a huge down side for me.
Roinda

Post  Posted:

Been playing a lot of AC:NH lately although I’ve been doing it without time travel.

I’ve been having a think, I’ve not touched or thought about my other consoles for the last I don’t know how long, so I’m considering getting rid of my two Xboxes and my Wii U. At the moment they’re just taking up space and gathering dust. I’ll keep the PS4 because I know I will use that, plus it doubles as my blu ray player. The PS2 I’ll keep for now until I decide what to do with it.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

cinnamon_yuki wrote: Jan 28, 2023 4:26 pmWhat?? They remove activities gaining support outside of battle ? That's awful... I suppose I have to choose who will be in my main party then. And that's a lot of chapters... XD I might re-start again Engage either way since I will be playing Hogwart's Legacy in 10 days so I might forget what's happening in Engage.
Eyup. I'm on chapter 17 now and there's still no extra options outside the rng arena and one meal per world map battle. Alear can fully woo any character in less than 5 min thanks to a gift shop that opens up, but everyone else will require extra effort. I actually went out of my way to woo every boy (up to the current chapter) because I was legit curious on their characters. The initial man I was going to marry completely turned me off on his A rank (it went from very sweet to silly out of nowhere) but I do like his supports with literally everyone else I've managed to unlock with him (platonic ones, at least, he's such a dad and I'm here for it). Now I'm gunning for the final recruit (which is a SUPER MEGA SPOILER that I accidentally saw but I could've predicted it tbh) and if they're not to my liking, then I'll go for the game's resident dancer because he made me genuinely laugh in his supports (he loves fried food - BUT IT'LL GO RIGHT TO HIS FIGURE, OH NOES!). That being said, I've become very attached to the priest character who literally reformed his religion into parties, because his VA is just so into his role and I can't help but grin every time something ridiculous comes out of his mouth. His support with Alear is super cute, but I already have him paired off so I'll probably leave him be lol. He's also probably very gay as all of his supports are male focused besides Female Alear (who is completely bi with every character outside the platonic S Ranks) and his sister. Is it morally wrong to make him bi??? Lmao???? I feel like he'd be into the Divine Dragon regardless of gender though because s/he is his actual religion (they just party instead of having worship services lol).
Mikodesu wrote: Jan 28, 2023 8:23 pm Ran around and picked up a few more chests in Liyue afterward. Still got one region of Mondstadt locked at 97%, which is guaranteed part cause I've never done multiplayer, so I don't have the heart chest, but I have to be missing one or two more beyond that. And I have zero clue where they are.
The heart chest doesn't have to count for exploration % because I got it afterwards when my Mondstadt and Liyue were 100%. Both areas have a lot chests that I have no idea how I would have found them without a video. I generally try to get everything done myself, but when it gets down to the last percentiles and I'm not finding anything, there's really good videos on YT for hidden chests. A lot of Mondstadt's are either hidden in plan sight or require weird triggers while Liyue's also have weird triggers, but there are SO MANY that are just random « Mr.Gourmet's hat » dig spots with zero indication. Inazuma and Sumeru put a stop to that by basically making everything a 'kill this' or 'solve this' to get chests with a few exceptions. The biggest differences is that now a bunch of exploration % is now locked behind long world quests that take literal days to finish in Inazuma (time gating) or just never seem to end in Sumeru (Aranara). I'm literally stuck at 90% in an area in Sumeru because I NEED to go around and find all 16 of the trapped ruin machines to unlock some water drainage. I've just been killing them as I find them so I'm really going to have to break out a guide if I want to get it done, because I'm betting there's some in the '100%' areas that I missed due to my sheer stupidity. Literally, I miss stuff all the time because I get hyperfocused and don't turn my camera to see a puzzle in my view. Man, I am not looking forward to doing the desert and all it's underground mazes. Pain.

PS - I put some Dusk Birds around Tighnari in my teapot (he stands guard over my garden) and I blame you and your influence. XD
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The single biggest drawback to Wayne is his winking. Nobody...I mean NOBODY...winks THAT MUCH. Nobody! It's like he has a deep twitch or something. A lot of the time when he's winking, it makes what he says seem inappropriate, too. The second-biggest drawback to him is his horrible cowboy hat. I have always been utterly turned off by cowboy style clothing.

Shame. If not for that, Wayne's personality is really sweet; he might even vie with Ludus to be my second-favourite bachelor, rather than second-to-last. (Hinata's nice too...all the Trio folks are really nice except for Mithra...but he's always my least favourite.) I like that he talks a lot. IRL, I tend to get along with people who can carry a conversation largely by themselves and all I have to do is nod along, with only rare chime-ins required.

It's funny, people say they love the old games where people's faults were left in, but nobody likes Mithra. Mithra's a fairly realistic personality. A bit exaggerated, as they do with all game personalities, but she's definitely a type. Low-filter, too blunt...there are loads of folks like that.

But anyway, I got Yuzuki. He and my MC will be getting married on Spring 31, which is a great date that quite appeals to me...last day of spring. (It'd be really interesting if the seasons changed so exactly in the real world like they do in the game. Actually I think I'd find that really fun, if it wouldn't cause environmental disasters.) It overlaps the...flower festival? Where you give everyone in Westown a flower or bouquet. But that's barely a festival at all...the shops all remain open and you just talk to each person one by one to hand them a posy. That's a nice way to spend your anniversary before you have a dinner with your spouse, I think...so it works nicely.

I still have to get the king-sized bed from Ludus but I think I may already have everything I need.

I love taking care of crops with all the different fertilizers, but I hate taking care of the animals with all their different treats (and managing the proportion of + products with regard to making clothing.) I'm at that point (I always reach it!) where I want to sell all my animals but maybe 4, for basic products and for festivals, but I need to start making clothes, bleh. I'd rather just buy clothes outright...I don't think I should have to provide the materials. I think I can probably get rid of my first two cows and keep just the buffalo, soon...once the buffalo is up to winning expert-level festivals. Not sure about the sheep. I could also just keep a silkie chicken and let go of the regular chicken. The only reason to ever have one of those tiny quail is for the three-egg recipe, so it's not worth it, though it makes very cute peeping noises. Not sure what to do about material-giving animals, though.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote: Jan 30, 2023 2:35 am The heart chest doesn't have to count for exploration % because I got it afterwards when my Mondstadt and Liyue were 100%. Both areas have a lot chests that I have no idea how I would have found them without a video. I generally try to get everything done myself, but when it gets down to the last percentiles and I'm not finding anything, there's really good videos on YT for hidden chests. A lot of Mondstadt's are either hidden in plan sight or require weird triggers while Liyue's also have weird triggers, but there are SO MANY that are just random « Mr.Gourmet's hat » dig spots with zero indication. Inazuma and Sumeru put a stop to that by basically making everything a 'kill this' or 'solve this' to get chests with a few exceptions. The biggest differences is that now a bunch of exploration % is now locked behind long world quests that take literal days to finish in Inazuma (time gating) or just never seem to end in Sumeru (Aranara). I'm literally stuck at 90% in an area in Sumeru because I NEED to go around and find all 16 of the trapped ruin machines to unlock some water drainage. I've just been killing them as I find them so I'm really going to have to break out a guide if I want to get it done, because I'm betting there's some in the '100%' areas that I missed due to my sheer stupidity. Literally, I miss stuff all the time because I get hyperfocused and don't turn my camera to see a puzzle in my view. Man, I am not looking forward to doing the desert and all it's underground mazes. Pain.

PS - I put some Dusk Birds around Tighnari in my teapot (he stands guard over my garden) and I blame you and your influence. XD
Ah, man. That you got some dusk birds for Tighnari, I read it earlier, read it again just now, laughed both times. :lol: Very cute. Of anybody in the game they would just be comfortable around, he would probably be it, though. And they do match really well!

Good to know multiplayer doesn't affect exploration percent! That means I've got some more hunting to do in Mondstadt. I'm guessing there are weird little groups of enemies I haven't killed, because I spent like an hour recently running around in the area up north where the cube boss is, and did not get a single ping on the treasure tracker, but yesterday I was going over chest locations on the map...and there was one that spawns from killing slimes floating around a tree. Which I apparently hadn't gotten, but also didn't ping on the tracker. Good to know for everywhere else, I guess. Lesson: if it moves, kill it.

For whatever reason big open areas are the worst for me...it's so hard to canvas everything and pinpoint what the heck you haven't done. I haven't finished them yet so I probably shouldn't say, but I don't think the underground areas in the desert have been TOO bad. The map helps a lot.

Oh! Before I forget. There's an artist I've followed for quite a few years called Loika, I haven't been to her Tumblr in forever but she did a bunch of Wanderer fanart recently I thought were pretty. She does really...painterly stuff? lots of brush strokes, almost no lines, so I dunno if it's a style you like but I thought I would pop a few into a spoiler tag to share. :)
Spoiler:
Always interesting seeing artists you follow play your games out of nowhere. :lol:

--
SPEAKING of exploration... did my Genshin weeklies this morning and had a little extra time this morning cause I got up early and ended up running around in Liyue for a bit. Found myself in a little part of the map I'd just...never visited. No idea how that happened. I was only there for about 15 minutes this morning but I'll need to go back tomorrow morning to see if I can finish it up. HUGE world.

Boggles my brain how many chests it takes just to go from 90-100% exploration in an area...
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote: Jan 30, 2023 6:02 pmSnip
For you~
Spoiler:
Oh yeah, those floating slimes got me too! They seem to get a lot of people. There's another group of random slimes that are usually missed (even in video guides) that spawn when you approach a cluster of umbrellas just outside of the Liyue inn. Kill them all and poof, chest. I'm familiar with Loika! She's on Twitter too and he art makes it's round on my feed fairly often. Very nice style, lovely to see the Wanderer in more dynamic styles.

Three days left in vacation and I'm still not done Fire Emblem Engage. I'm seriously going to binge the rest of it today. Not only is it 26 chapters, but every Emblem Ring also has their own special map AND there's two characters that have their own recruitment maps. So, in conclusion; game is long af. It's closer to 40 chapters, especially with current DLC. I feel like I've dropped out of long JRPGs for awhile now to the point this feels overwhelming. I've become so used to shorter games or ones that continually update over time that I have commitment issues. Not to mention I have other hobbies demanding my attention. Regardless, finishing Engage today. My characters are overleveled from all that support grinding, so It should be relatively easy.

Genshin related: got the Dendro wings yesterday. Slapped them on Tighnari, Nahida, and Yaoyao. They also look really good on Shinobu, but I don't use her so eh. Alhaitham looks bad in all the gliders except the default. Poor man is too pretty/over designed to fit any of their aesthetics lmao.
yzafre
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

infel wrote: Jan 28, 2023 1:21 pm Been playing Dragon Quest 11 one and off this week. ... Playing it again, it's fun and I really am liking my time with Eric. I'll say I'm already 5+ hours in and haven't gotten too far because I've been training or going around the towns. It's still a good time for me and I'm hoping I can stick with it and beat it.
Dragon Quest XI is really good! I'm excited to hear what you think as you continue playing.

Kikki wrote: Jan 30, 2023 5:13 am I love taking care of crops with all the different fertilizers, but I hate taking care of the animals with all their different treats (and managing the proportion of + products with regard to making clothing.) I'm at that point (I always reach it!) where I want to sell all my animals but maybe 4, for basic products and for festivals, but I need to start making clothes, bleh. I'd rather just buy clothes outright...I don't think I should have to provide the materials.
I think this... aspect? Kind of thing? Is one of my biggest turn-offs from the modern games. I wasn't a huge fan when I first saw it in ANB, and it's continued to annoy me every time it comes up since. There's a lot to love about the direction they took the series with SoS! But. Certain mechanics end up feeling like busy-work or padding, to me.

I finished both Spryo 2 & 3, 100% and 117% respectively. My goal was to run through them before the end of January, and I made it! ...does that count as 1 or 3 games complete, do you think? They each have their own titles, but they're now sold as an all-in-one package...hm.

I'm not sure what to play next. I think I've decided I'll only pick up FE:Engage if I spot it used somewhere, and nothing's standing out from my list of possibilities.
midnighttherabbit
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I think I'm about 75% through Rune Factory 5 now and honestly just want to finish it. I was having a lot of fun, but then hit the difficulty spike / balance issues; it was almost too easy on hard mode, barely grinding at all, and then I hit a quest where all the characters were asleep (and as a result all the shops were closed) and I had to go through an insanely hard level on my own. Eventually I just turned the difficulty right down and rode through on a boss monster but that didn't feel satisfying at all... Maybe if it hadn't completely paused the flow of the rest of the game I would've been fine just grinding but without any way to buy items / the annoyance of missing festivals I didn't want to spend too much time on it :( Since then, the difficulty has stayed pretty much at that level at least, challenging but manageable if I bring townspeople along to help me. I finally managed to get Ryker to date me after throwing ice cream at him every day, at least.

It IS making me miss more casual SoS/HM games, though... I'm debating whether or not I can squeeze in a SoS:FoMT replay alongside everything else before the AWL remake comes out.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

yzafre wrote: Jan 31, 2023 8:58 am
infel wrote: Jan 28, 2023 1:21 pm Been playing Dragon Quest 11 one and off this week. ... Playing it again, it's fun and I really am liking my time with Eric. I'll say I'm already 5+ hours in and haven't gotten too far because I've been training or going around the towns. It's still a good time for me and I'm hoping I can stick with it and beat it.
Dragon Quest XI is really good! I'm excited to hear what you think as you continue playing.

Yeah, it's been pretty fun to play, just like last time. I'm about 15 hours in and at the point where i won't know what happens next now. I really loved my time with Eric. It's a good game so far and what I need right now. I'm glad you really enjoyed it and I hope I can too. I'll let you know how my playtime goes down the line :) .
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

yzafre wrote: Jan 31, 2023 8:58 amI think this... aspect? Kind of thing? Is one of my biggest turn-offs from the modern games. I wasn't a huge fan when I first saw it in ANB, and it's continued to annoy me every time it comes up since. There's a lot to love about the direction they took the series with SoS! But. Certain mechanics end up feeling like busy-work or padding, to me.
You mean the having to provide your own materials to make clothes, right? (Or were you talking about the fertilizers or treats?) Well, if you were talking about the materials...that one gets me. I can SORT OF forgive when they add a new mechanic to make things feel a little more real...sometimes...but having to provide your own materials to buy an outfit is WEIRD. The only time you'd ever have to do that is if you were custom-ordering something a shop doesn't actually sell. Like if someone was selling a yellow dress with a sunflower skirt and I wanted a rose skirt instead, it'd make sense that I had to provide the rose fabric, because they wouldn't have it. But why the heck do I need to make the material for the outfit that THEY designed? If I'm providing the fabric, I should be able to specify the colours as well, rather than be forced to accept that outfit only in yellow (etc). If I could customize the designs by providing my own fabric, I'd be less resentful of having to do it. But when they add more work to a process, they need to at least add more benefits to it as well.

Well, fair bit of stuff to do today and some of it needs done by noon so I've gotta get organized and then head out for some errands. Made the cashew milk last night, so at least that much is ready to go.

EDIT: Just reminded of how much it bugs me that when you get married (or start dating) and you talk to anyone from either of the two towns your bf/gf is not from...everyone will be like 'ooh, congrats! I don't know who the heck it is that you're marrying but yay!' Like they've never even heard of Yuzuki! Even Wayne, the postman who delivers to all towns, says something like this. You guys, we're all together for EVERY FESTIVAL. We candidates have had many events together! You guys have even all told Yuzuki how pretty he is! I suspect some of you guys have even hit on him! WHAT THE HECK YOU KNOW HIM VERY WELL.

Why on earth did the devs bother to write in dialogue lines for everyone and go out of their way to enforce a completely false sense of distance between the towns?
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Welp, I tried really hard to beat Fire Emblem Engage yesterday like I said I would, but I tapped out around 8 pm because I was tired. I blame the cold tbh, because it's Texas' annual ice/snow storm we've been having since 2020 and I just want to hibernate lol. When I woke up this morning I got right back into it and now I'm on chapter 23 with all the side chapters done, so I'm legit right there. Also, for anyone in the thread wondering about how the romance works in this game, starting chapter 23 you can get ring to propose to any one at Rank A support. Children units are platonic, elderly units I have no idea because no one in the fandom has been kicking up a stink about them. Alear can marry literally anyone else. I ended up choosing Pandreo because I'm too attached to him and the other character I had him paired up with had a vastly better support with another character I got late game (their support levels raised naturally because I almost always have them near each other). Both his support and confession were so adorable that I went 'awwwww' lol.

Alright, break's over, back to it!