Marvelous Showcase Highlights (New Story of Seasons Announced)

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Daisuke Tsubasa
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

PaleSunflower wrote: May 29, 2023 8:01 pm I think they announced these games way too early to get excited about them. 3 out of 4 of them have placeholder (as in, probably not final) names or less, and the only one that has its final name is Rune Factory 6, which, while in line for the series, isn't a super creative or descriptive name. I would not be surprized at all if 1 or even 2 of them either gets cancelled or fused into another title. They gave us practically nothing to work (to speculate or get excited over) with at this stage, with the RF: Project Dragon game having the most shown about it. Marvelous boasting about their new graphics when SoS:PoOT's graphics weren't among its main problems also does not instill confidence.

I can't help but think they were forced (either by the higher ups at Marvelous or maybe Nintendo) to do this Direct with how little actual game they have to show. The multiplayer one only has concept art, for crying out loud! (And RF6 only has a logo, to my knowledge, which is just as bad as just concept art, in my opinion.) This Direct all feels either misguided of half-baked to me.
I'll respectfully disagree with half of that first statement. The Project Magia and Life is RPG segments? Way too early in my opinion. We know absolutely nothing about them aside being new IPs.

The rest, not exactly? Note, the JP name for the side Rune Factory title is final: Ryu no Kuni / Dragon Kingdom / Dragon Country. It's the localization name that's tentative, which the subs don't do a good job of specifying. Also, it's not coming out for another 3 years probably but I'm just glad RF6 is in production.

And I dunno, I don't see it as half-baked at all. To me, it shows Marvelous knows what they want to do going forward in the next three years or so or what they want to establish for themselves.

There was a time when they relied completely on Senran Kagura in the mid to late 2010s while Rune Factory was dead in the water. It and Bokujo were their top earners until Sony summarily executed Senran and the head producer lost all motivation and screwed off to Cygames.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's entirely personal, whether this announcement was something to get excited about or not. It's not something anyone can prove is, or is not, exciting.

For myself, the presentation was simply a declaration of intent. I can get excited about their having firm intentions (for RF and Bokumono) but not yet about the games themselves, which to me still seem too early on to have a clear opinion on, except to be glad they do intend to work on them and say they are already doing so.

I'll be interested to see more, but I'm not gonna wind myself up thinking about them at this point. Especially since much of it still seems so early on that it's all subject to considerable change before they reach a final product.
Daisuke Tsubasa
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: Jun 01, 2023 5:21 am It's entirely personal, whether this announcement was something to get excited about or not. It's not something anyone can prove is, or is not, exciting.

For myself, the presentation was simply a declaration of intent. I can get excited about their having firm intentions (for RF and Bokumono) but not yet about the games themselves, which to me still seem too early on to have a clear opinion on, except to be glad they do intend to work on them and say they are already doing so.

I'll be interested to see more, but I'm not gonna wind myself up thinking about them at this point. Especially since much of it still seems so early on that it's all subject to considerable change before they reach a final product.
Yeah, I'm not saying people should be unanimously or unconditionally excited bc again some don't have much going on aside either a logo, a piece of concept art, or vague footage. I just meant that the other end is being entirely dismissive, cynical, or apocalyptic about the state of things. Which neither you or the person who I replied to are being, just to specify. I'm just citing an example.

That being said, my full interest / speculation is focused more on Dragon / Ryu no Kuni mostly because it's the one title we have footage + staff info on. Someone who's worked on games like Armored Core or Daemon x Machina being the lead producer for Dragon has me curious on how they'd handle a more relatively slice of life genre. I am gonna say absolutely nothing about RF6 for a long time because all we have is a logo lmao
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Daisuke Tsubasa wrote: Jun 01, 2023 5:59 am Yeah, I'm not saying people should be unanimously or unconditionally excited bc again some don't have much going on aside either a logo, a piece of concept art, or vague footage. I just meant that the other end is being entirely dismissive, cynical, or apocalyptic about the state of things. Which neither you or the person who I replied to are being, just to specify. I'm just citing an example.
Yeah; I personally don't feel it's called for to be super excited OR super discouraged/disapproving, based on this announcement. There's so much that isn't even underway yet, and all of it, even the most-developed appearing of projects (Rune Factory Project Dragon or whatever the final name will be in English) is still subject to change. The thing I reacted to most, I think, was Marv saying that they are focusing on the graphics for the next new SoS game. I don't like that they said that, as I feel if that is actually true, they're missing what all the feedback was actually telling them. (Unless that was simply not well translated.) Them making a better game based on the feedback on Olive Town was the most hopeful thing for Bokumono for me, so if they're getting that wrong, then I don't have much hope. But none of that is certain yet.

At this point I'm just glad they've decided Bokumono and Rune Factory are important and will be continuing to focus on them. That's what this presentation told me that I think is exciting, and that's about all, until I see something that looks more certain to be close to the final form. Even Project Dragon (or whatever I should call it) didn't show me enough for me to get a feel for what the balance of gameplay will be like, so I don't know if I'm interested in it or not. I'm interested in finding out if I'll be interested, lol.
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Daisuke Tsubasa wrote: Jun 01, 2023 4:47 am
PaleSunflower wrote: May 29, 2023 8:01 pm I think they announced these games way too early to get excited about them. 3 out of 4 of them have placeholder (as in, probably not final) names or less, and the only one that has its final name is Rune Factory 6, which, while in line for the series, isn't a super creative or descriptive name. I would not be surprized at all if 1 or even 2 of them either gets cancelled or fused into another title. They gave us practically nothing to work (to speculate or get excited over) with at this stage, with the RF: Project Dragon game having the most shown about it. Marvelous boasting about their new graphics when SoS:PoOT's graphics weren't among its main problems also does not instill confidence.

I can't help but think they were forced (either by the higher ups at Marvelous or maybe Nintendo) to do this Direct with how little actual game they have to show. The multiplayer one only has concept art, for crying out loud! (And RF6 only has a logo, to my knowledge, which is just as bad as just concept art, in my opinion.) This Direct all feels either misguided of half-baked to me.
I'll respectfully disagree with half of that first statement. The Project Magia and Life is RPG segments? Way too early in my opinion. We know absolutely nothing about them aside being new IPs.

The rest, not exactly? Note, the JP name for the side Rune Factory title is final: Ryu no Kuni / Dragon Kingdom / Dragon Country. It's the localization name that's tentative, which the subs don't do a good job of specifying. Also, it's not coming out for another 3 years probably but I'm just glad RF6 is in production.

And I dunno, I don't see it as half-baked at all. To me, it shows Marvelous knows what they want to do going forward in the next three years or so or what they want to establish for themselves.

There was a time when they relied completely on Senran Kagura in the mid to late 2010s while Rune Factory was dead in the water. It and Bokujo were their top earners until Sony summarily executed Senran and the head producer lost all motivation and screwed off to Cygames.
We will have to disagree. I feel like talking more about this, so sorry for the ramble. The Direct feels half-baked to me because there was barely any actual game to show for the series I cared about.

RF6 as well as what we know now as Rune Factory: Project Dragon was already announced as being in production last year. RF6 was confirmed to be in production via an interview, and RF:PD was teased at the end of the trailer of RF3's remaster on the Switch. There is an old thread on very site that goes over both announcements from last year. Neither of these are new to me. I suppose that interview was in Japanese, so this Direct would be RF6's official English announcement, I guess. Outside of the one of the RF games getting a placeholder name (in English at least), both of these games were known to be in the works, are still in the works, and will stay in the works (assuming nothing gets cancelled) for years. Though we know more about RF:PD and a tiny bit more about RF6 now, it's not enough for me get hyped.

I am also miffed that the trailer for RF:PD doesn't have subtitles on it unlike the rest of Direct. (None of the trailers they showed had subtitles for some reason.) They didn't even introduce the characters they showed, which a magazine article usually would, even if that introduction was as short as " who is this mysterious character?". The other 2 farming-related games (the SoS ones) could have also been a regular interview with how little they had to show for them. To me, it feels like Marvelous (whether internally or externally) was pressured to do this Direct instead of just announcing this stuff via another interview or social media. (Maybe they needed to show off to their investors, for how little I know.) Perhaps I'm just being a bit greedy here, but I wanted more, at least names for the main characters and/or the antagonist we see in the RF:PD trailer. But yeah, I agree with Kikki on this, me being irritated at the Direct aside. This Direct was largely a declaration of intent for the farming-related games. (And just because I knew about the development of RF6 and RF's new spinoff or whatever RF:PD is does not mean everyone else did.) I will continue to see what happens to these series.
Meowie
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Didn't know that Project Dragon had a proper title in Japan. Wouldn't be surprised if it comes out by the end of this year actually. Honestly I can see them releasing the next Story of Seasons next Spring at earliest as well. Not a fair comparison, but just like how Game Freak is treating the Pokemon IP with constant back to back releases with different teams, I think Marvelous is trying to adapt that model as well with different teams working on the same IP. For now, it's just different teams working on remakes and original titles but in future I'm sure we will start to get more spin offs as well.