I enjoy this game but how do others feel about it?

Where're the crops?! Searching the world for seed wisps on Nintendo Switch, Steam Ps4, and Xbox. [ Game Guide ] JP release = None. NA release = Mar 2021. EU release = Mar 2021.
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

The thing is, HM:OW doesn't focus on romance much at all. It is optional and avoidable, though I guess it is possible to stumble onto an unwanted confession. The game focuses significantly more on farming and exploration than romance.
Spoiler:
You can't even get married at all until after you beat the main storyline.
I understand the lack of same-« Chicken Hugging » romance can be a source of disappointment, but this isn't a game that focuses on romance. If you want a game with excellent romance, then HM:OW is not the game for you. I don't think any of Natsume's HM games have a huge focus on romance, either. I'm starting to wonder whether this Kate was too mad that her fictional avatar couldn't be gay to pay attention to the game in front of her.
Kikki wrote:Yeah...legitimate criticism is one thing, but taking the Natsume-haters seriously is an exercise in futility (and possibly depression about the state of humanity.) Just a few days ago, I saw someone say that 'even if someone literally put a gun to their head', they still wouldn't play One World. (This did not take place on Fogu, btw.)

In other words, a flaming moron. Anyone who "literally" wouldn't play ANY game to save their own life is just shooting off at the mouth out of sheer love of the sound of their own voice. Heck, if someone told me at gunpoint that I had to play a gross slasher-murder-rape-torture game to save my life, I'd do it. (Though if not under threat of serious harm, you WOULD have to pay me quite a lot to get me to play a game like that, if they exist...which they probably do. I'm quite easily disgusted and it leaves a permanent stain, so I vigorously avoid anything that makes my skin crawl.) Because on one hand we have my LIFE, and on the other hand, we have what is merely a game. One I may not want to play, but very much would under such circumstances. Saying otherwise is just the aforementioned flaming moronitude.
People who say stuff like that don't mean it, especially since, in this instance, you just have to play the game. You don't have to play it for long or complete the game, just play it. In your example, you could just ... enter the game world, look around, and immediately quit the game. There, you played it.
Ratiasu_0380 wrote:One World definitely isn't perfect, but I’m still really enjoying it. I'm about midway through Summer of Year 1 - just finished the Halo Halo story quests. I don't get much time to play, but it's something I look forward to at the end of a long work day. Compared to some of the more "overwhelming at times" farming games I've played, I like One World for its simplicity. The characters I've met so far are really charming too, even the "nameless" ones. Ahina's definitely my favourite so far.
I ultimately bought this game because I was looking for less hectic farming game. In my opinion, having endless tasks to do in a game and not enough time to do those tasks makes the game less fun and more like work. I don't want more "work" in my games right now.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

PaleSunflower wrote:People who say stuff like that don't mean it (...)
That's why I said that taking the Natsume-haters seriously is an exercise in futility. I prefer to give strangers the benefit of the doubt, but there is so much spouting of over-the-top nonsense that it's pointless to do that. If anyone tries to take seriously the claim that someone "literally" wouldn't play One World even if they were being threatened to do so with a gun to their head, they're wasting their time, because that person is just spilling empty words. That was one of the most ridiculous I've seen, but I've seen a lot of other baseless sniping, too. They haven't played the game, but want to say something mean, and that's all it is.

Not that all criticism falls into that category, and there are people who played the game and legitimately didn't like it for multiple reasons, but there's enough of the axe-grinding going on that there's not a lot of point in searching online for fair-minded reviews that look at both the pros and the cons, unless you're willing to wade through a lot of biased nonsense from people who don't actually know what they're talking about. If anyone finds what reads like a review that didn't begin with the reviewer going in already hating the series and/or the developer, definitely share a link. Personally, I like reviews that cover the bases even when I don't agree with them.

I may sound like some crazy biased supporter of either Natsume or One World, but tbh, I was finding the game pretty tedious. I'm hoping to get into it more later (I'm going to wait for the DLC at least, but I may wait long enough to have a full guide ready to search through, too, including not only the main story goals but info on tools and the mines and where to get recipes and so on. I just have a better time when I have all the information I need, ready to be looked up if I decide I want it) once I have better tools, but for now all the running around, the fast clock, and the constant stamina drain are more chore than fun for me. I do think they did a nice job on the candidate characters so far, though.
Floh
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:They haven't played the game, but want to say something mean, and that's all it is.

Not that all criticism falls into that category, and there are people who played the game and legitimately didn't like it for multiple reasons, but there's enough of the axe-grinding going on that there's not a lot of point in searching online for fair-minded reviews that look at both the pros and the cons, unless you're willing to wade through a lot of biased nonsense from people who don't actually know what they're talking about.
Yes, that´s at least how it feels.
Just stumbled upon a gaming site I thought was quite fair when it comes to reviewing, but they clearly didn´t play the game for an hour, so the critics were total nonsense.

I´m usually a nice guy and I´m a mod on some other pokémon themed board, where most users are under the age of 14, so you have to be patient and understanding if something isn´t going the way it should. But those things just make me mad. :shifty:
Awesome Cat
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Eemeena wrote: Mar 14, 2021 9:54 am I enjoy this game a lot but I've read a lot of bad reviews. Do others love this game or areyou justtolerating it? One review I read described it as as a shell of it's former self.
Natsume's games get a bad rap cause of the split between them and the company that made Harvest Moon. I think they made a deal with Natsume that they can make their own farming game under the name Harvest Moon as they go with a XSeed and a new name outside of Japan. I don't know all the details, but I don't think it as dirty case as people think it is for Natsume. Also people always compare them to Story of Season and the older Harvest Moon that Natsume location over here.

The game itself, I heard people saying OW is the best one. To me the two 3ds was fun, probably not the best but it's still fun. I hasn't played one world yet, I got the game want it come out but hadn't played it yet. But what I can tell, the 3DS and One World is much better than Light of Hope
Awesome Cat
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Awesome Cat wrote: Mar 19, 2023 7:05 am
Eemeena wrote: Mar 14, 2021 9:54 am I enjoy this game a lot but I've read a lot of bad reviews. Do others love this game or areyou justtolerating it? One review I read described it as as a shell of it's former self.
Natsume's games get a bad rap cause of the split between them and the company that made Harvest Moon. I think they made a deal with Natsume that they can make their own farming game under the name Harvest Moon as they go with a XSeed and a new name outside of Japan. I don't know all the details, but I don't think it as dirty case as people think it is for Natsume. Also people always compare them to Story of Season and the older Harvest Moon that Natsume location over here.

The game itself, I heard people saying OW is the best one. To me the two 3ds was fun, probably not the best but it's still fun. I hasn't played one world yet, I got the game want it come out but hadn't played it yet. But what I can tell, the 3DS and One World is much better than Light of Hope
I want to edited my post. When I said the company that made Harvest Moon. I meant that they own the IP.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Natsume owns (and always owned) the name Harvest Moon. They created that name. In Japan, the series name is Bokujo Monogatari, and that just means Farm Story or Ranch Story. It wasn't a very inspiring name, and Natsume localized it instead as "Harvest Moon". They didn't and still don't own anything about the original games, but they do own the name they created, as well as their own translations.

Marvelous dropped Natsume very suddenly (meaning that it wasn't a gradual phasing-out), in order to use their own US branch (XSEED) to localize the games instead, and told Natsume that they would do so under a name of their own choosing, not the English name that Natsume had created for it. There was no permission given for them to continue using the name, because Natsume didn't need persmission; they had every right to do so as it was theirs. So with nothing else to do, they went ahead and started making their own Harvest Moon games. They very likely would have gone out of business if they hadn't, since localizing the Bokujo Monogatari games was almost their entire work.

As far as I can tell, there's no specific good guy or bad guy in this scenario. Marv JP was perfectly within their rights to use their own branch in the US to localize their games, but it was also genuinely a very raw deal for Natsume, who'd been localizing the games for 16 years at that point.

I enjoy the games quite a bit...their storylines are always fun to complete. They've been rather ugly and the characters are often quite shallow, but the farming is really fun and the plots are fun for me, too, so I've enjoyed them. I have never liked that Natsume seems to deliberately promote the misunderstanding that THEY are the developers of the original Bokumono games. (Though the current Marvelous is not the developer of those games EITHER...the series has changed ownership at least three times since its inception. The original dev team no longer exists at all. The character concept designer and the current director...or producer, I can never remember which it is...may be the only people left who have been on the team all along.)

But I don't resent them for using the name that was always theirs anyway.
Awesome Cat
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: Mar 19, 2023 7:25 am
Well I heard and read stuff around that time. That Marousves let's Natsume to make farming games under the series old name cause they was going with XSeed. Also I read that Marousves did that, In Japan, it's bad for company just leave one of their partners out to dry so that why they made this deal to benefit both sides.

Granted I might be totally wrong. But I did heard people explaining like that and read about this. But yes Natsume do own the name Harvest Moon. Which is why I don't have no ill will towards either of the companies.

Anyway that doesn't stop people from hating on Natsume and thinking that they stolen the name and so on. Also, I'm not expert in Japanese business culture or a lawyer as well. However, I don't think there isn't no bad blood between them.

I do agree how they market their stuff, sometimes

But I can said for the game themself. They mostly fun to me. Just hope they get better with experience.
Awesome Cat
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Blah here a link that explains both my and Kikki points. This explains it more simple.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/585900/d ... zech&ctp=2

I probably can find more stuff, but I think this hit everything and simply it as well. I'm right, but missing some other details like Kikki pointed out as well.
Marigold
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I also enjoyed it. Especially the crop mutations. Like if all farming games had just slightly more interesting farming and ranching styles I'd be in farming game heaven. And One World's farming style hits all the right spots imo. Although I did find the game laggy and slow at times :P

Also someone should fix the wikipedia article on Harvest Moon because it sorta implies the only reason it's no longer Harvest Moon is only because Natsume owns the rights to the name. Which is true, but they should also add that Marvelous wanted to use a different name anyway.
StormFire
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I lost interest in this game at one point (mainly because I have other games in my backlog), but I picked it back up yesterday and I’m actually enjoying it more than I remember. I especially like how they made the farming system where I don’t have to worry too much about different seasons to plant crops. I also like how
Spoiler:
I discovered on Cher’s guide that your pets can actually die
which I know some people were saying it’s not as realistic if that’s not included (like in the sos:awl remake.) So yeah, I’m enjoying it and I can honestly say I’m excited for Winds of Anthos.