Backlog 2022

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote: Aug 03, 2022 2:15 pmI HAVE confirmed that the game is a minimum 100 hour playthrough, though so... I'm out for now. Maybe by the end of the year.
Everything I've checked so far has suggested it's shorter, though I've only checked a few things, since I'm being careful of spoilers. Howlongtobeat.com has it at 56 hours for minimal playthroughs (but not speed-runs) and 84 hours for more maximal ones, with about 50 hours for 'rushed' playthrough (but not skipping cutscenes, I don't think...I think it's 20-30 hours if you're skipping cutscenes, but who the heck would skip them other than speed-runners?) And it has
Spoiler:
only seven
chapters, each supposedly playable in 5-10 hours (which I have found to be true so far, I did chapter 1, with all quests, in about 4 hours.) The pool they're judging from isn't that big yet, but it's compiled from 13-15 people, I think it was. Naturally going for 100% would bump it way up because there's usually REALLY tedious things to complete somewhere, but that's a fairly artificial count...just like not a lot of players speed run, not a lot actually go for 100% completion, even the niggledy stuff. So the average playtime of regular players, from those who do at least a little extra content to those who do most but not *all* of it, seems to be 60-85 hours.

Right now chapter 2 seems to be going really fast, too...I'm doing all quests (there aren't very many! I looked up chapter 1 and 2's quests to see if I was missing them, but apparently I'm not...I got them all) but I think I'll complete this in 4-5 hours, as well. I'm playing on normal...apparently 'easy' is a bit faster. Maybe more options open later? I initially looked up average finishing times because it was going SO fast, I was confused...I thought maybe the chapters were going so fast because there was a hundred of them or something. But if the rest is similar, I'm gonna be finishing this WAY faster than I'd have expected to, going into a game with Xenoblade in the title.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Kikki, excuse my replying rather than quoting (avoiding the spoiler tag :? ).

All I'm doing is parroting reviewers, though I guess I should have specified. To be specific, the quote was 100 hours to finish the game, 150 or more to complete it. (Apparently the pool of reviewers is incredibly small because Nintendo said no to ANY outlet that is video first.) I wonder how many of the entries on How Long To Beat are reviewers, and how many of them are people who downloaded the [b]Very Bad Thing™[/b] and speed ran the story? I guess there could be a handful of really dedicated people, there were a few who beat Elden Ring in a week with about 120 hours in.

I could see maybe 70-80 hours, as a middle ground. (Iirc the one playthrough of Chronicles 2 I've seen, the streamer beat it in right around 60 hours while doing almost no side quests. So 50 hours wouldn't be THAT much shorter.) Xeno games have always been fairly traditional to the 'more is more' JRPG mindset, but if the story resolves properly in less than that, good. I'd rather a properly told story than see one dragged out, it's just...not really Tetsuya Takahashi's style?

The spoiler free rumor is that this is cleaning up the Blade trilogy, which explains all of the callbacks and whatnot. Maybe if sales are really high Nintendo will greenlight porting X. If they DO I could see them moving over to sequelize that.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh for « Snuggly Bunny » sake, I'm on my 5th crash of Danganronpa V3. This last one happened right before I got to the mid point save prompt for the 5th class trial. What is it with Switch port visual novels and being horribly optomized? I couldn't finish Robotics;Notes last year due to the looping glitch, World End Economica was so full of graphical glitches I had to contact the localizers for help, and now this « Cow Poopoo »! I knew I should have just watched the game on YouTube instead of wasting my time trying to play it. I don't care how fast the skip function is, I have zero motivation to weather the crazy trial again just to hope another crash doesnt happen. Now I am just gonna watch the rest on YT, because I at least I know it'll work.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote: Aug 03, 2022 4:12 pmThe spoiler free rumor is that this is cleaning up the Blade trilogy, which explains all of the callbacks and whatnot. Maybe if sales are really high Nintendo will greenlight porting X. If they DO I could see them moving over to sequelize that.
Well, I dunno about other people, but my play of XC3 is going really fast, so far. So fast that it's why I (carefully) looked this stuff up, wondering how many chapters the game had (that's the only thing in my spoiler, btw...the number of chapters the game has) and how long people were taking to get through the whole thing. It's really weird to me to be getting through stuff so fast in a first play of a Xenoblade game, it's kind of unsettling, lol. (NG+ runs are MUCH faster, but they don't count. My NG+ of XC2 was about 30 hours.) I'm sort of hoping the game slows down a bit, somehow, though the story's pretty punchy, this way.

I've heard this is the last, too, and I really, REALLY want this Xenoblade story to be done, with this. It's cheapening the previous games, that they keep adding more. (Speaking for myself, of course.) I can't give any details to explain what I mean, but I'm quite worried about some of the things I'm seeing in 3, and what it could mean for what eventually happened with the world of the first (and to some degree, the second) Xenoblade. If it's anything like what I imagine, then for me it sort of retroactively ruins those endings and everything Shulk & Co accomplished (and Rex, I guess...though let's face it...I don't really care about XC2 because I never grew attached to that world or those characters. I just loved the antagonists, and the concept of blades and their re-writable memories.)

But it's very amorphous right now. I'm hoping my vague imaginings at this time don't come true. Xenoblade's pretty good for throwing me at least one big twist somewhere, so hopefully it'll veer well off the vibe I'm currently getting. I have NO idea who these possible bad guys are, yet. I'm not even sure if they're actually the bad guys.

The characters are quite likeable, but I'm missing the comedy I usually see in Xenoblade. There hasn't been much, so far!
yzafre
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: Aug 03, 2022 4:49 pm Well, I dunno about other people, but my play of XC3 is going really fast, so far. So fast that it's why I (carefully) looked this stuff up, wondering how many chapters the game had (that's the only thing in my spoiler, btw...the number of chapters the game has) and how long people were taking to get through the whole thing. It's really weird to me to be getting through stuff so fast in a first play of a Xenoblade game, it's kind of unsettling, lol.
So, the game seems to open up more from chapter 3 on, consequently making each chapter "longer". The actual story stuff might not be that much longer, but given you start being able to go to optional areas, back-track, collect side-quests, ect.... the super-fast pace of the first two chapters doesn't stick, unless you're just main-lining the story and nothing else.

I am curious about the story pacing, though, if that's how many chapters there are.... I don't feel like I'm anywhere near far enough in the story to be on chapter 4 out of that many.

That being said, I've been playing this evening and... I haven't even touched the story for Ch4 yet haha. I finally got my level up high enough that I felt safe exploring some of the back-track areas I'd left empty on the map, which led me to one or two of the bigger side-quests. The enemies in the story area were around lvl 30-35, if I remember correctly? I've just pushed my party up to level 50. Very satisfying.

EDIT: Correction, the enemies outside my last story-based camp were lvl 25-30. I mean, part of that is I'm still playing on easy, but... wow.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Alright, Danganronpa V3 is finished. I've learned my lesson when it comes to Switch visual novels. If it's a port or is available on a more powerful platform, I'll just get it there from now on. I've been burned too many times. I'm all for the Switch having more games and making more games accessible to more people, but they never seem to be at the same quality as their original platform. I'm basically just talking about visual novels at this point, but it can be said for a lot of games on the platform too. The Switch is perfectly capable of running high quality games - look at Breath of the Wild, the Xenoblade Trilogy, Three Houses, Monster Hunter Rise, basically anything developed FOR the system and it's fine. Ports (outside of in house Nintendo ones) seem to be where it becomes iffy. You have perfect ports like Hollow Knight and Stardew Valley, and then you have bad ports like Danganronpa V3. I can deal with slowdown, load times, stuttering, graphical glitches, but crashing? Crashing when a game has no autosave and forces you to play long sections? Yeahhh, I'm out! If I purposely carve out one of my few days off to finish a game, and then said game refuses to let me do so, then yes, I am going to get mad, infuriated even.

I've already filtered my Switch wishlist (which was 80% VNs) to only contain VNs that are exclusive to the system, and I'm left with the Famicom Detective Club duology and KEY's Loopers. Everything else I want is either on Steam or available on PS4/5, so I'll purchase them there when the time comes. I unfortunately still have two visual novels on my Switch that I purchased already with Digimon Survive and Ace Attorney Chronicles, but I've yet to hear anyone having any crashing issues with them, so knock on wood.

As for V3 itself, eh. It was just OK. I actually had the big bad spoiled for me close to when I first started playing, so the big reveal wasn't as impactful. If there ever ends up being another Danganronpa, I won't be purchasing it. The BIG TWIST felt really stupid too, kinda like the whole series is nothing but a waste of time if this is all four games plus several anime seasons and side books leads up to. Wish my tumblr self from years ago never got into it in the first place.
Reyvin
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Continued Xenoblade 3 (yay). I agree with earlier mentions that chapter 1 went by really fast. I'm now in the second area and am bombarded with tutorials about gameplay mechanics, haha. So far the game is a lot of fun, and I think it has a lot of potential, but I've also been a bit sad that it tends to stop me from going to explore certain ways. I hope that's not gonna continue throughout the whole game.

As for the characters...
Spoiler:
My earlier thoughts haven't changed a lot. I like Noah and find him quite perceptive. I like Lanz a lot, and I also started liking Eunie, she makes me laugh with her word choices ("muppet"). As for Mio, I find her very cool and find the whole "not much time left" thing actually gives her actions a different tone. I am undecided on Taion and Sena. Sena is just... there and Taion, well, so far he's been a bit of a secretive and, to me, kind of unlikeable person. I look forward to his development though.
One thing I wonder about the characters and environments - reference to Xenoblade 1 & 2:
Spoiler:
Where are they going with all these references? Eunie has wings like the High Entia. Sena has hair that reminds me of Brighid, and Mio looks so similar to Nia. Not to mention the rock formations that resemble the titans from XC2. What are they gonna do?? I can't wait :D
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Code_Name_Geek wrote: Aug 03, 2022 9:08 am I bought a lot of games while travelling since I visited quite a few used game stores. Some of the more exciting ones are a DS copy of Chrono Trigger that didn’t totally break the bank, Tetris DX for GBC, and Elite Beat Agents which I’ve heard is really good.
ELITE BEAT AGENTS IS THE BEST! I sank so much time into that and the two Ouendan games. Hope you enjoy it!

—-

I’m a little intimidated by the length of XC3! I usually play games a bit longer, so I suspect I’d run closer to the 100-hour side. That is… a lot. But I need to play XC DE first, anyway.

Currently playing totally-not-100-hours-I’m-real-sure DQXI. I am delighted that I can play this in 2D (and also that it tells me it’s safe to turn the power off when I stop playing). It seems like 2D may reduce the playtime, and definitely does for me, since I’m not lost and fighting the camera. I just got two new party members, and am also enjoying the grind and progress I can make when I’m tired after work.

I also enjoyed Dragon Quest 9, greensara. I didn’t know it was poorly received! I remember it being popular when it came out, as it was a lot different than 7 and 8, which kinda wore folks out. But that might have just been in the US, it had a super hyped release. I played it with my partner and alone, and I had a few coworkers playing it, too. It’s my favorite DQ, of those I’ve played.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Started Ni no Kuni last night and it's just as chill and lovely as I remembered. The Switch version looks very nice, too, considering it didn't get any of the visual upgrades that the other did. Still boggles my mind that these animated segments were originally made for a flipping Nintendo DS game. Would love to have been a fly on the wall at that pitch meeting...

Stuck with the English voice acting EXCLUSIVELY for Welsh Drippy. The rest of the cast is a mixed bag from good to « Harvest Goddess » awful but Drippy was a phenomenal casting choice.

Some of the charm of the original is lost from the lack of a touch screen (not physically drawing spells or writing your name on the spell book) but... it's still very cute. Can't tell yet if all the systems are going to get a little out of hand or not. Right now it's very relaxed, but I'm only to the second dungeon so far. It's been surprising how well I remember everything so far... I watched everything on Youtube like a decade ago (this just...horribly crusty 2010s recording). Wanted to import the game, but it was incredibly expensive and I was a broke student.

My only complaint so far... This is more spoilery if you don't know about the game's development
Spoiler:
The White Witch stuff feels incredibly tacked on to me. It's hard to tell how it looks to somebody who doesn't know that it wasn't in the original game. (Original was Ni no Kuni...something something Dark Djinn?) You can (imo) really tell the White Witch stuff wasn't written by the Ghibli staff. It's not BAD, it's just...very very not the same writers. I wouldn't go so far as to say it retroactively taints the original story, but... it's not great. Elaborating would be spoilers so... trap shut.
Edit: Forgot to mention this... It's not often that you start a game on Switch to a licensing and privacy agreement. :| Bite me, Bamco. Soured my mood starting the game... probably because I always read privacy agreements, but still.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'd like to play, and I was feeling really clear and nice this morning (edit: yesterday) for about 3 hours...lovely clear head and an unmuddled sense of purpose, totally ready to wrap up my errands and do some garden and house work. Unfortunately, (health gunk hidden, no reason to read it unless you're just dying to know why I haven't played any more Xenoblade yet, but the real takeaway for this thread is simply that I haven't.)
Spoiler:
at 10:50 I was signing myself into the emergency department at the hospital, lol, after mom drove me in, since I wasn't trusted to be able to use my right leg well enough to drive.

VERY painful for a while there, but ultimately not that big a deal. I got a shot of industrial-grade anti-inflammatory and a 5-day prescription of relaxant. I've been told I should just be staying put, mostly in lying bed on my left side, for the duration of the course of relaxant, so this acute session of whatever (chiro says pinched sciatic nerve, doc says probably piriformis syndrome, but the symptoms and solution are essentially the same, so I don't care which it is.) has a chance to die down. Am doing the stretches, but they're actually a much milder version of the sciatic region stretches I was already doing, so they're not particularly helpful (I'm weird flexible for no reason, so it's pretty hard to get a stretch I can actually FEEL.) My mom laughed and hugged my big cement head when the doctor said the meds cause 'extreme fatigue', since I'm there even without the relaxant, lol. Oh well, that just means I really will be staying put for a long weekend!

I don't dare skip these meds, this time, so I may not be awake enough to do much, but I'll continue Xenoblade 3 whenever I can as long as it doesn't irritate the situation. My baby sis came over and did my cleaning for me and made supper with the ingredients I'd picked up, too, and stuck fresh icepacks on me all afternoon. :oops: They're really sweet, I love 'em, but taking up this much time and effort makes me feel bad. I'll just sit still this time to get past this acute bit so that I don't end up causing anyone trouble again. I'm re-reading Skip Beat! for now, when I'm awake, to keep me in one place. I've been disallowed to even water my own garden. :( Ugh, gotta obey if I don't want to make any more needless drama. I really hate drama. Actually, my sister joked about that today. Somebody said something like 'don't die' as a joke, at some point, and my sister said Kikki wouldn't die, that'd be too dramatic. I kid you not. Does this mean I'm immortal, now? At least until everyone else is already gone, so no drama can be had.
I actually wrote this entry yesterday but felt weird, didn't post then. Today...Well, I can tell that my bits still quite unhappy and my foot is number than ever, but otherwise it's a lot better. I can even sit upright, and I'm not limping when I walk any more. Have already done three recommended exercises and the two stretches, will repeat often, though the exercises make me more sore so I wonder if I'm supposed to leave them until the acute flare is over? I THINK I can play some Xenoblade 3 today. If the motivation strikes me, I will. Was having a lot of fun rereading SB though. It's been my favourite manga for about 15 years (since it began, yikes, this is a slow one.) But this time I'm going to be good and actually follow medical orders, lol, cuz I want to make sure this flare up flares the heck DOWN so I can get back to normal life.

This year is looking really awesome for games. I checked my upcoming games list again and it is full of dazzling names. I've heard nothing about what came out of the Pokemon Direct, so I'm assuming there was nothing of special note.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

The "White Witch" parts of Ni No Kuni seemed to add to the lore for me, but when you finally get to the meat of that part of the story, it seems more like an epilogue, albeit still prior to the official post game. +1 for Welsh Mr. Drippy! Love, love, love him! He is one niche video game character I would actually like to have a t-shirt and/or a plush of, lol.

Dragon Quest 9 has been so much fun for me. I honestly think I may like it better than 11, but more so because of the gameplay than the story. I have gotten to the part leading to the big bad, but I would like to beef up my team a lot more first, so liquid slime hunting I go! I currently have the hero/minstrel, a priest, a mage, and a gladiator, but I am considering changing the mage to sage. Too bad you can't access the DLC stuff through regular means anymore, as it sounds like that made up most of the post game.

The Pokemon Direct was mostly about the "phone games" and had a segment on Scarlet and Violet at the end. It was nice to see some of the open world stuff, and the new "bedazzled" looking Pokemon mechanic, but it didn't give me enough information to decide on which one to pick. I want the new pastry dog on my team though. :)
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

greensara wrote: Aug 05, 2022 5:57 am The "White Witch" parts of Ni No Kuni seemed to add to the lore for me, but when you finally get to the meat of that part of the story, it seems more like an epilogue, albeit still prior to the official post game. +1 for Welsh Mr. Drippy! Love, love, love him! He is one niche video game character I would actually like to have a t-shirt and/or a plush of, lol.
The White Witch stuff I'm still all unfamiliar with, so all I've got are early game cutscene assumptions, I'm just whiny about a lack of connection to the main story. :/ (And so far no connection to the other world...) It's like a disservice to the effort the Ghibli writers put in? If they'd have left it like... opening the portal to the other world awakened this great evil that has nothing to do with the Djinn (sort of implying she's still there in the original, Oliver is just unaware) that would have been nice. We'll see though!

A Drippy plush would be incredible! I love his lantern, but I think one of him in his plush/doll form would be cutest. :)

--
Played more Ni no Kuni last night while I sat with my mom's dog during the third storm of the day. She hates lightning, and I felt too guilty to leave her alone and stay with the cats. Got through the second dungeon in the mean time. Pretty fair difficulty spike there. Enemies and the boss hit harder, but they drop more health, so I didn't end up using many healing items.

Not finding little mana potions to match the heals is making me ignore most of the spells though. Not a big fan of that.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: Aug 05, 2022 3:36 amThis year is looking really awesome for games. I checked my upcoming games list again and it is full of dazzling names. I've heard nothing about what came out of the Pokemon Direct, so I'm assuming there was nothing of special note.
Glad you're feeling better Kiki. The Pokemon Direct was basically updates for a bunch of mobile titles, and then there was a lengthy overview trailer for Scarlet&Violet. They introduced the battle gimmick, your transportation for the open world, and a bunch of new characters, but not much beyond that. Probably we'll have to wait until post S&V to get any new spinoff titles.

---

I played through chapter 4 of Digimon Survive and then decided I'd give VNs a quick break. I booted up Link's Awakening and played it for most of yesterday. It's adorable and giving me big nostalgia. I never did play the original, but I did play Oracle of Ages and Minish Cap a lot in my younger years (Minish Cap to this day still being my favorite LoZ title). I've completed the first two dungeons plus the Color Dungeon for the extra power boost. Aesthetically I like the blue tunic more on Link, but some enemies in this game just do not like to die easily, so red tunic it is. I made it to the third dungeon yesterday and then stopped for the day.

Not a lot of gaming going to be done today as we're taking some kids out from our church to a national park. It's an hour+ drive, but I'd rather not bring any of my gaming devices into nature, so I'll be taking a book along. I've had this big book of Texas ghost stories sitting on my shelf for awhile, so it seems like I'll finally be getting to it. On a completely different note, got 'bullied' by my FiL yesterday for not playing Elden Ring lmao. He's put over 500 hours into it and has every achievement, and I've been teasing him about it because he's SO CLOSE to finishing FFXIV's story, but just keeeeps getting sucked back into Elden Ring. He launched the counter attack yesterday asking why I hadn't pulled up my bootstraps and "just play the game, do it, if I can, you can", and he's right, I can, but he doesn't have a backlog + he's got a ton of free time compared to me.

This is coming from the man who has issues playing FFXIV (family carries him through Trials because he can't keep up with all the mechanics), so I get why he's being (playfully) pushy. Regardless, I redownloaded the game onto my PS5 telling my husband that "Dad's bullying me" as an explanation as to why. I also redownloaded Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin because I legit forgot my husband bought it to tide himself over while his gaming PC blew up, and I may want to play it eventually because the Warrior of Light DLC looks really, really good. I have a burning hate for Tetsuya Nomura as a writer, but as long as I don't take the game too seriously and put it on easy mode, I should have a good time with it.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thanks Bluie :) I'm glad they took me seriously at the hospital and gave me that shot right away, I thought they'd just shrug and say 'deal with it' and send me on my way again. I really thought they would and might not have gone to the hospital at all, but the chiro said I needed to. (Though he was hoping they'd take a CAT or MRI...but I knew they wouldn't.)

On the positive side, thanks to being prescribed this relaxant, I now know that relaxants seem to cancel out any bad effect that modafinil causes. Which MIGHT mean I could find a way to take it a little more regularly, as prescribed, and have a half-way productive life :) I could even try triple-coated, refined peppermint (like IBgard) which is OTC...shouldn't be able to cause reflux due to the strong enteric coating, but it dramatically reduces intestinal spasms and cramping. I may try taking it for a few days with modafinil and see how that works out. If it doesn't, I could go a step up try asking my GP for one of the IBS-specific smooth-muscle relaxants.

So, until this acute bout of piriformis syndrome or sciatica (whichever!) is over, it looks like I have to avoid sitting. It puts too much pressure on those areas, and I need to avoid all compression of that region. Fifteen minutes of sitting upright and my problem starts spreading, so have to avoid that, probably until my foot is no longer numb? (Why is the damned thing still numb if the nerve is no longer being totally squashed?) And taking a relaxant that makes you sleepy on top of my pre-existing fatigue means there's no way I can spend much time standing, and 3D handheld gaming makes me headachy and, if I persist, nauseated, so uh...I don't think I can do much with Xenoblade 3 for a fair while yet. Still enjoying Skip Beat (it has 43 volumes so with me falling asleep all the time, it takes a while to get through it!)

Just found out that one of the games I've been idly keeping an eye on, Everdream Valley (not to be confused with Dreamlight Valley...come on, game devs, get some imagination of your own and STOP calling everything Somethingorother Valley!) Apparently you play as animals (or insects) at night. There's an indie I knew from a while back that uses that schtick. Two, actually, I believe it was, where you turn into an animal at night for some mysterious reason. Anyway, HUGE turn-off for me; it made me not want the game any more.

I don't know yet if I'll opt in on (Disney's) Dreamlight Valley. Depends on the price of this...what did they call it? Pioneer pack? I'll try it if the price is good. It's out in e.a. on September 6th. But otherwise my next new game is either Potion Permit, if I decide to get it, or Trails from Zero. Kinda too bad the dates weren't reversed, for me. 2D gaming isn't head-twisty and works great in handheld.
Reyvin
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Hope you get better soon, Kikki :)

--

Continued Xenoblade 3 and I am properly obsessed with doing side and hero quests now. Haven't done any story for chapter 3 yet cause I've just been zipping all over the region to explore. I'm really happy that the game opened up and allows me to do some more stuff now. Also experimenting with classes, though I am usually more inclined to stick with "canon" classes.

As for other games I left off at... not playing anything else rn but I was in the middle of my 2nd playthrough of Three Hopes - Azure Gleam. And also on my 2nd route of Birushana (Benkei). Idk if I'll reach a point where I can continue them before finishing Xenoblade :lol: But I liked them, and they're definitely not gonna be abandoned.