Backlog 2022

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I appreciate the comforting words, Mikodesu 😂 💕

My cousin in Indonesia bought RF4! So exciting. He texted me this morning and told me that he’s been looking up the voice actors. Now he’s got me doing it, too, and…..LEON, THE PROSECUTER FROM SOJ ,AND HENRY LEDORE HAVE THE SAME VOICE ACTOR??? I’m losing my mind 😂
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So there have been a bunch of settings on Steam Deck that the Deck doesn't explain. Which threw me off, cuz some of the settings DO explain what they're for. However, it looks like if you go into 'thermal power limit' and dramatically reduce the watts, the battery lasts quite a bit longer. I'm not sure yet, but I suspect it also reduces heat. Those have been my two major worries about the deck...how incredibly fast the battery was wearing out, and how hot it gets. So if reducing the wattage improves both problems, this thing immediately becomes a MUCH better console.

I am currently running Trails in the Sky. Was curious about it being unsupported, particularly since players were running it back in March using a special version of Proton with...I think more supported video files? The only problem Sky had even back then was that the videos wouldn't run. And Sky III is fully verified. However, I am NOT running any special version of Proton, and the opening movie played perfectly. The lower wattage doesn't seem to hurt anything, either. No idea if it'll hobble a higher-spec game...Dinkum has higher requirements than Sky and isn't ideally optimized, what with still being only a couple months in Early Access and all, so I should probably try it. Or put FFVIIR on here or something and see how it runs. Though it'd be a shame since I already completed FFVIIR on PS4 and would rather replay from that file, since it has NG+ options. Sort of. Basically once you finish the game, you can replay the entire thing from whatever point you want to, so starting again at Chapter 1 is like playing a new game with all your finishing stats and goods and characters. Or that's how I understand it so far. But it'd probably be a good test on Deck. I don't actually play many top-of-the-line games that require high specs. Not sure what else I could try that I'd actually want to play...I'm not interested in Elden Ring or Cyberpunk or whatever other demanding current games are out there. I think most of the games I'm interested in are relatively low-spec. Guess that makes things easier!

The more I try, the more games being 'unsupported' seems like it's not much of a barrier at all. The only game I've found so far that felt unplayable on Deck was actually fully verified. Anything designed to work with a mouse and NOT with direction keys or WASD runs like « Puppy Doodoo » on Deck, 'verified' or not.

Maybe I can try Kynseed and Sun Haven sooner than I thought. Those are the two I most want to try...particularly Sun Haven. Coral Island and Sandrock are still too early in e.a. for me to want to go for them...Kynseed and Sun Haven are much closer to full release, at least as far as I know. (Though Coral Island and Sandrock seem to be moving faster than I'd expected!) Immortal Life is looking good, though I'm not fond of xianxia stories. The whole 'cultivation' thing creeps me out, as does a town where everyone refers to each other as 'brother' and 'sister'...sounds cult-like to me, or at least like a religion rather than a normal village. Still, it looks very good, great graphics, nice character design. It's staying on my wishlist, but I think it needs fleshed out more before I should seriously consider it.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Been helping a friend through A Realm Reborn lately. I'm basically their bodyguard as I nuke entire dungeons/bosses while they reap the exp. It's been fun, they're hilariously just like a toddler, running everywhere and touching everything. The amount of times I've said 'what are you doing' is beyond counting. They even decided to poke an S ranked monster while I was distracted for a literal second and I had to whip out the 'and what have we learned?' speech lmao. All jokes aside, they're appreciating the help because I can also taxi them everywhere. Man, I remember having to WALK everywhere in ARR, it sucks. When you're first playing it's even confusing as hell because there's so many maps and it's so easy to get lost. It's much easier in the expansions as the maps are just one BIG section instead of a ton of medium/small ones scattered around. So far we've done four dungeons and one trial. Not really sure where we're at storywise because ARR is a blur to me outside of the important lore.

Other than that, playing Splatoon 3 and trying to finish the story mode before the first Splatfest, but that probably wont happen. I mean, I could just binge it, but I've found that I can get extremely frustrated with the game and brute forcing it doesn't seem like a good idea. The stage 'Splitting Crosshairs' can go eat a bag of dicks, I hate it so much. I went from 'I'll clear every stage before moving on' to '« Snuggly Bunny » this, I'm out(moving on)'. Not sure what I'll be in the mood for when i get home from work, but most likely only FFXIV dallies.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Currently playing:

Little Busters English Edition (Steam)
Doraemon: Story of Seasons (Switch)

Recently beat:

Loopers (Switch)
Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery (Switch)
Later Daters (one route) (Switch)

Games beat in 2022: 8

Hey, everyone. In Doraemon: Story of Seasons I've played over 12 hours. I'm in Summer, Year 1. I'm really enjoying it. No livestock yet, but I'm going to get chickens soon. Also, I'm working towards the first house upgrade. I made the beehive.

In Little Busters, I've played nearly 6 hours. I'm still on the common route for that as well.

I did one lesson in Pokemon Art academy. (3DS)

Also, I'm getting close to completing Pocket Card Jockey on the 3DS after nearly 100 hours and restarting the game a couple times. :o
Fireswarmdragon
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Ooh this is fun, I've got a couple of games I'm currently working through myself, notably, splatoon 3 as well, which is a ton of fun, but I'm hoping to finally finish Xenosaga episode 3 this weekend, and after that try to grind through persona 3fes before my copy of p5r comes in this October, there's just so many games out there, it'll take me forever to catch up but I hope I can.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

It's been a while since my last post and I feel like with this post it'll be a bit more positive. It's because I've done decently well with progressing my backlog due to playing some games this week. What I'm currently playing is Animal Crossing, Disgaea, Digimon and Xenoblade.

For Animal Crossing New Horizons, I've slowed down a bit with it. I'm not near the end or anything, but I haven't been playing it as much. I have been dabbling in the DLC, Happy Home Designs, and it's fun. I'm not the best at making houses, but it can be relaxing. I'm on my third title rank actually. I also got my sixth villager, a smug robot squid (can't remember his name right now). I'm also setting up my own house a bit. I'll likely slow down with Animal Crossing for a while, but I'll try and make some progress every day after my SheCodes course. Maybe an hour a day. What I need to do next is earn more Nook Points so I can get certain villagers hopefully.

For Disgrea, I'm just slowly leveling up characters and will likely play this on and off. Planning to do the same with Digimon Cyber Sleuth , but my goal is to finish up the game.

My major accomplishment is with Xenoblade Chronicles DE though. I played this game last December, but only did the first chapter. Now though, I'm on chapter 4 and at level 20, traveling to the next colony. I can honestly see why people love/like this game. So far I find most of the characters charming and the battle system fun (though still a bit confusing). I also really like the music and the story. This weekend I'll hopefully play much more of the game and get farther in. I'm excited to meet the new characters

Anyway, that's what I've been doing gaming wise. Zero comes out next week though, but I'll likely wait to play. I'm hoping that this weekend, I can put in some time into Trails in the Sky FC. But Xenoblade has been my main goal for right now :lala:
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hey, welcome to the Backlog thread, Fireswarmdragon :)

Well, Ariel and Ursula are at 10 and I have the final villager in town and at 7, too. Dreamlight is still VERY crashy. Honestly the update didn't reduce the crashes all that much. I think maybe they solved one thing that used to cause crashes, but the further into the game you go, the more there is to bog the game down, and the more it crashes, so...yeah, still very crashy when you have all 17 starter characters and their houses and all the regions opened up.

I'm done, really. I can get the final character up to 10 to be able to do the last quest available in the game right now, but...I don't really care. The game is okay...MUCH better if you're a Disney fan than if you're indifferent to Disney characters. But it definitely does have a lot of glitches and isn't best optimized for Switch. (Though I hear it's pretty much the same on all consoles and probably just a bit better on PC.) It's aggravating how every level 10 quest seems to involve huge amounts of iron ingots. Did they think that was fun? To make people endlessly material grind for iron? It's not even a VARIETY of material grinding, just iron, as far as the eye can see. (Well, and some clay, which needs its spawn rate increased, as it's a comparatively rare digging drop.)

I want to move on. Not sure to what at the moment. My handful of existing games aren't calling to me, though I still tentatively intend to complete RF5 and Egglia. (And probably Torchlight III, some day. I still don't understand why I actually enjoy this type of dungeon crawler! It seems to hearken back to FATE from 2005, though I have no idea why that game fascinated me so.)

I could try Potion Permit (I'm still not so sure about it, though, it looks kinda dull.) or wait a few more days or a week for Hokko Life or Trails from Zero.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

My daughter really wants Dreamlight Valley (I don't, I'm not sold on it yet) after seeing some of the commercials and noticing it up in the eShop. So I made her a deal she could try it when the free version comes out. She agreed, provided we refer to it as her game and not mine, lol. No worries. She did the same thing when we borrowed the Disney Magical World 2 I think it was called from the library, though she kept shoving the controller at me to fight the ghosts that were too hard and scary, lol.

Still playing around in Staxel and Portia, as I haven't decided what to work on in my backlog, other than Skyward Sword. I am considering getting Hokko Life as my next time sink, which won't help the backlog, but oh well. I did decide to go ahead and cancel my Pokemon preorder. After being so excited at the prospect of the new Zelda game and also figuring out a new gaming budget, I really didn't feel excited enough about the new Pokemon to justify getting it at full price. I will probably still get it later on, but I think my FOMO on the Pokemon franchise has finally moved on. I mean, there's supposed to be a shiny event at GameStop this week and I haven't felt like going to get it. I might miss it and I don't mind. Or maybe I'm adulting too well now, not sure, lol.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

That's probably a good idea. I don't know what kind of kid your daughter is, but Dreamlight Valley's many crashes and glitches would be more than a lot (though not all!) of children's frustration-levels could comfortably tolerate.

And thinking of potential tantrums...I'm throwing one right now, internally. I want to throw myself on the ground and kick and scream and cry, because we have a frost advisory right now. :( When summer ends in Eastern Ontario, it doesn't fade away all that gracefully. Rather, it throws itself right over the edge of a cliff. With my health being as horrible as it is at the moment, and all the other things going on...I don't know what this winter is going to be like for me. I have to aggressively manage my mood and health in the face of winter.

But...I do have a lot of games to dive into if reality is too grey. I'm definitely getting Hokko Life, which is very affordable, and since money is quite tight right now, I think that'll be it for this month, though there are three other games I'm interested in at the same time. There are a crazy amount of games coming out in October, but I haven't decided yet which ones I'm getting. It's loaded with JRPGs, plus I'm skipping Trails to Zero for now (I will definitely get it eventually, I just don't know when. I already know every screen that happens in the game, so I don't feel all that rushed toward it. So perhaps on a sale, since NISA has them often, especially on Steam, and Zero is verified on Deck, and has Durante's enhancements there, which is what convinced me NOT to buy it on PS4.) I STILL am not sure I want Nier, even with it being a DLC-inclusive edition. For one thing, I can never remember the characters' names, as they all appear to be named after pencils. For another, the adorable little fellow who is so polite is going to break my heart, I can tell. It doesn't take intuition. I mean, Pencil Woman appears to be holding his unconscious or dead body right on the cover image of the game! And I already think he's such a dolly. (I fall hard for earnestly, overly-polite characters.) I don't like games where you have to replay many times to get the full story. I can manage it in an otoge, which is only reading and has skip functions, but in a JRPG? Plus it almost guarantees that I'll have to go through several miserable stories, maybe more sad ones than happy ones, and I don't wanna.

So I want it, but I also don't want it at all. My head is still telling me that it's probably not the game for me. P5R, with all the extra content I never got to see in the original release of P5, and Star Ocean 6, are also out in October, so I have a lot of JRPG options incoming. And No Man's Sky on Switch. Though I could also get it on Steam Deck if I decide I want it. I still can't decide between it and Astroneer, though.

I find myself more often being unable to remember what I did the previous day. I have to go look around to figure it out by noticing that there's an apple crisp on the counter and a couch upended at the bottom of the stairs.

I really should just forcibly bust RF5 open again. Motivation isn't going to strike me...I'll have to just DO it. Thing is, gaming is a lot less important than several other things I really need to apply my willpower to right now. Any gaming that takes willpower is bound to fall by the wayside for the foreseeable future.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I finally beat all the content in House in Fata Morgana, which wound up being over 65 hours for everything. -_-; I think I wound up playing my Switch until the battery died, playing some while it charged, playing it again until the battery died, and finally finishing it when it was on the charger again. Cannot recommend the later content, I gotta say.

I've been binging on Mario Super Picross this week, which I stopped playing to get in maximum Fata Morgana time. I'm near the end of that game, but I think the last couple areas have absolutely MASSIVE puzzles, and the later Wario puzzles are very hard.

I got the Castlevania knockoff game this summer (Koumajou Remilia Scarlet Symphony), and it's short, so I'm also trying to knock that out of my backlog this week. I'm on the... fifth of eight areas? It's not too hard, but it's a bit frustrating and imprecise, and I've only sat down with it a couple times so far. I probably should have skipped it and played Curse of the Moon 2 instead, but here we are, with a ton of stuff in the backlog.

I haven't played much DQ11 this week, though I... got a new party member, and haven't reunited with the old members yet. I know I'm at the beginning of act two, but it feels like there can't be a ton left. For one, I'm not too far from maxing out my skill tree. XD
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Spoiler:
Currently playing:

Little Busters English Edition (Steam)
Doraemon: Story of Seasons (Switch)

Recently beat:

Loopers (Switch)
Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery (Switch)
Later Daters (one route) (Switch)

Games beat in 2022: 8
Hey, everyone. In Doraemon: Story of Seasons I've played over 12 hours (nearing 13 hours now). I'm in Summer, Year 1. I'm really enjoying it. No livestock yet, but I'm going to get chickens soon. I got the dog finally, and I got my first house upgrade. :)

In Little Busters, I've played nearly 6 hours. I'm still on the common route for that as well.

Recently, I played Nintendo Switch Sports with my mom (bowling), and she beat me in both games we played.

I also played the demo for Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival and really enjoyed it. In this game you can play the joy-cons like a taiko drum OR it allows you to play via the buttons. That's a huge plus for me, so I might get the deluxe version of this game, which allows you to get the 90-day pass DLC (3 months) of over 500 songs for just $5 US. (the deluxe version is $55 US)

As for upcoming games on Switch (and some on 3DS before the e-shop closes down), here's what I'm looking forward to:
Spoiler:
September:

Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival (Deluxe Edition) (Switch)
Hokko Life (Switch)

October:

Persona 5 Royal (Switch)
Harmonia (Switch) (I have the game on Steam, but the Switch version is fully voiced)
Chaos Head Noah;Chaos Child Double Pack (Switch) (Pre-ordered; physical edition)

November/December:

Pokemon Violet (Switch)

2023:

Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe (Switch)
Hogwarts Legacy (Switch) (physical edition pre-ordered)
Rune Factory 3 Special (Switch)
Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life (Switch)
Fatal Frame 4: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse (Switch)
Pikmin 4 (Switch)
Master Detective Archives: Rain Code (Switch)
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Splatfests are brutal in Splatoon 3. I know in 2 I was often playing/paired up with really good Japanese players during the Splatfests, because I liked Pearl and Japan LOVED her. Very passionate, almost always won. I went team Grub and while I was only able to play enough to level up my rank once (tired+work+ect) I was absolutely murdered no matter how hard I went. I feel like it's probably my skill issue, but I also feel like my preferred weapon was nerfed going from 2 to 3. I still love it and love using it, but the opposing team is always out for blood while I'm just trying to spread ink. Also, the connection errors are BAD. Nintendo, reach into your bottomless pockets and fix the net code, holy « Puppy Doodoo ». Oh well, I'll at least get one sea snail so I can get another slot on my fave hat, so it's all good.

In FFXIV I finally started to buckle down and grind Eureka. I'm mainly doing it for glam, but it is one of the few story heavy areas I haven't done yet. It has weekly bonuses that I'll be partaking in from now on until I finish it. It's surprisingly active right now, probably a lot of people looking for more content to consume in the patch lull. Regardless, it's fun enough, but I refuse to grind without those bonuses, so I'll only touch it once a week until said bonuses are exhausted.

The only games I see myself finishing for the rest of the year is Splatoon 3's story mode and Pokemon Violet, maaaaybe Ys IX if I'm REALLY feeling motivated one day. I know there's plenty of time before 2022 ends, but I'm about to get into busy season at work. If it's going to be anything like the last two years, I'm going to be completely drained of my lifeforce by the end of my shift and just play comfort games. I have this cycle where if FFXIV becomes devoid of content (that I actively want to do) then I switch to Genshin (that has a build up on content since I stopped playing for around a year). When both of them fail to entertain, then I reach for New Genesis. I'll MAKE time for games I know I want to play (Pokemon, Fire Emblem, SoS/RF), but everything else are backlog games for whenever I feel like playing them. A lot of the games I finished this year fall into that category, so I DO finish them eventually, but it's a mood thing. Siiiiigh, I miss having so much free time I could devote a lot of time to all my hobbies.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I downloaded the demo of Wilde Flowers, the full game of which hit full release on the 20th. It's got the type of gameplay I like a lot, with lots of things to upgrade and expand on your farm and in town, but I'm not digging the characters or story. For one thing, even though it's trending in gaming a bit...I'm not actually all that interested in witches. I also find the Society-Enforced-PC-Niceness feels really uncomfortable. Now, I think the town is SUPPOSED to be weird and possibly a bit uncomfortable, but I don't enjoy that. I haven't actually read Stepford Wives, but I get that kind of unnatural feeling from Fairhaven in the game. I hope I'm supposed to, but also I got pretty turned off by a villager treating Tara like it's understandable that a 'city folk' wouldn't know that meat came from animals. (Like, she KNEW, somewhere in the back of her mind...but was shocked and uncomfortable to be reminded of it! She even admitted that yes, city folks don't think about sausages coming from animals very much. This made Tara seem like a total pudding-head to me.)

There's also a church in town. Or I see it as a church, anyway, though they're calling it the 'Consciousness Center'. Yeeeeeek...

The graphics are pretty good, and it runs very smoothly on Steam Deck, and the demo seems to cover quite a lot of content so far (I've only played 1.5 hours so far) but the main character's nose is really weird. It's pointy, and the overall shape is fine, but the thing is the point on the end looks unnatural. It looks like she has a little pointy lump of extra flesh on the very end of her nose, which ends up making me think she has a huge juicy pimple on the tip of her snoot and it really draws my attention in a bad way.

It's also story-driven, which I just don't feel works all that well in a farming-life sim, because you're just going along with what's set out for you, and I want to go my own way. But you are TARA. You're playing HER story, regardless of what you like. I'm not finding the romance candidates appealing, though I am very early in.

So...it just feels uncomfortable for me, playing this, since I don't enjoy creepy vibes. However, I think a lot of people here would actually like this game a lot and the point here is: FREE DEMO. You can try lots of the game to get a feel for it. It runs well, it looks nice, and it's fully voice-acted to boot, which is a very unusual feature. There seem to be no bugs or glitches whatsoever. I'd recommend everyone into farming sims, life sims and/or dating sims to at least have a peek at the demo.

I'm going to play it a bit more, but the vibe so far is a big turn-off for me, so unless playing further changes that, I don't think this one is for me.

EDIT: Wylde Flowers ends when you hit a certain story point (very soon after you go with grandma past the gate thingy in the woods). However I think you could play it for quite a long time if you just didn't progress the story, which so far the demo never forced me to do. If you follow the story directly and ignore all else, then the demo is VERY short...you'd be done it in an hour. Will have to go back and try, as I'd like to develop my farm area more...see how much I can squeeze out of the demo. Apparently demo progress is saved and can be carried on in the full game, if you go on to buy it.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Got a game. It was 98% off and cost me $0.39, which I obviously went ahead and claimed with a couple gold points, so it was free. Sort of...inasmuch as gold points are free, anyway. It wears a farming skin, but it seems to actually be a Match-3. Fortunately, I WANTED a match-3 game on my Switch, so...good fortune all round?

My sister made herself a file for Disney Dreamlight Valley, too, so since I already finished the content and now she's running through all of it, too, it was worth the purchase. Though if I could go back and do it again, I would DEFINITELY only get the basic founder's pack, not the deluxe.

Hokko Life tomorrow, yay! I want to build stuff. The villagers are ugly, but I don't care about the villagers anyway. (Though it's great to know that THEY will do quests for YOU. If you need a certain thing and tell them about it, they'll go get you some! Free ingredients!) I assume it'll become available to play at noon ET, but I suppose it could unlock at midnight, which would mean I can try it when I wake up. I always wake up around 5AM, but I have to stay quiet since my sister sleeps until freaking NOON, so very early morning is actually a nice gaming time for me Very peaceful and with no sense that there's anything else I should be doing.

Beacon Pines looks great, but the cast is entirely animals, so I know I'd end up losing interest fast. Oh, and Graveyard Keeper is on for 50% off, but...I dunno. The palette is dull and I have lots of other games incoming. It sure is rare to have games be on a good sale right when you're ready to play them, though.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

It's close to a new month. October is one of my favorite months, though it can be stressful for where I live. Still, it looks like a good number of games are coming out next month, so maybe I'll pick something up. Anyway, my backlog has gone decently. I've been playing the same games for the most part.

For Animal Crossing, I've actually restarted. Not sure that was a good idea, but I kind of want to now try playing from the beginning during my favorite season, Fall. I also know more about the game, so I'm hoping with a second play through, I'll be able to do things a bit better. I also want certain villagers I couldn't get with my older file. Still, it'll be a slog to get through for a few days because I find the beginning of the game difficult to get through. It's still relaxing, but can be a bit too slow. Still, I'm hoping it'll help me keep relaxed sometimes. An alternative to Animal Crossing will be Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town in case I get burnt out with starting over. I hope this time though, I can finally get a five stare town and have some villagers from my older games in my town.

Also, I made more progress on Disgaea Complete, but this game will take time to finish. I doubt I'll finish it soon given other things I need to do from coding class to reading and other games. Still, it's good to play when I need something different. May also dabble in Disgaea 2 though.

What I've made very good progress in is Xenoblade 1. I've got 24 hours in the game and am on chapter 6. Honestly, this game is quite good. I can see why people enjoy it. I really like the characters so far (well most of them), and the combat has grown on me. I'll admit though I'm having some trouble with the combat, but it's still fun to do. Also, the music in this game is wonderful. I'm really hoping I'll like the newer characters down the line as well. We'll see. For this week, this will be my main game likely.

As for if I'm gonna play anything new, I don't think so right now. I will say that tomorrow is when Trails of Zero comes out and I believe I'll be getting my copy tomorrow as well(I preordered it a while ago). If not, it's fine. I don't think I'll be able to play Zero for a bit since I really need to finish the Trails in the Sky games. Sadly, I haven't been able to get back into Trails in the Sky FC, and even wondering if I should just move on to Zero if I don't play it by the end of the month. With how much I'm enjoying Xenoblade, I worry about getting back to it. I'm hoping that some time this week I can put some play time into Trails in the Sky FC though, so that I won't have to stop it. Depends on my coding class and if I can break away from Xenoblade. Still, I'm excited for Zero.