Backlog 2022

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Suns have burned out, civilizations have risen and fallen, and I am still playing House in Fata Morgana and Dragon Quest XI.

I loved the story in House in Fata Morgana, which makes up for... a lot. I thought it would be around 25 hours, maybe a bit more than 30 with some of the extra content. I finished the main story at 35 hours. I'm now hovering just under 50 hours, and still have at least one major hours-long side story and more than ten short stories to go through. And, like, I've played plenty of long VNs, but I think my beef with Fata Morgana is that there is absolutely no sense of progress. No routes, chapters, etc. Is the side story going to be one hour? Ten? We just don't know. I bought the big fancy edition of this, so I feel like I should play all the content. I am unlikely to play through the story again, and I am not going to go back for "Pain II" or whatever these are called if I quit.

I stopped playing Picross to try and get more Fata Morgana time in. I keep thinking I must be close to finishing. I play at lunch. I play before bed. I play for hours on the weekend. I am still playing.

DQ is also long (I'm at around 45 hours), but much more enjoyable. Unfortunately, I've been too tired to play this in the evenings, but I've been knocking out big chunks in one sitting when I can. I'm at the beginning of act 2, playing as Sylvando atm. My kitchen ceiling caved in, and I need to stay home while they fix it this week, so I'm hoping to make progress in while plaster dust fills my apartment.

I'm a bit demoralized by the long games, as I would like to play something new! I have a ton of games in my backlog. I might try to play something very different (and short) once I finish FM. Maybe Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth? Maybe a shmup?
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote: Sep 06, 2022 1:17 pm
infel wrote: Sep 06, 2022 6:16 amI'm really sorry you are having to go through this. Fandoms/Communities can be good but also bad depending on how people are treating each other. Final Fantasy itself has such a big community and this game is highly popular. It was nice though when seeing how people usually helped each other. It's sad that now things are becoming hectic. Makes me not want to try it honestly. I've been through something like this with the Steven Universe fandoms....As for your step dad, maybe do help him or maybe you can help find him people who aren't jerks. Or maybe get him into another game if you're able? Breath of the wild, Atelier (you said he likes crafting and gathering), Xenoblade, Skyrim (which i really think may be a good choice) or the Witcher. These are some examples, though Xenoblade and Atelier have the crafting aspect. Anyway, just small tips. I hope it works out for him and you.
I appreciate your encouragement and suggestions. My FiL is picky when it comes to games. He finds one he really likes and then plays it to death. For example, he's been playing RuneScape since it's launch in 2007 and recently finally stopped playing it due to having literally nothing left to do in game. He's also beaten Elden Ring so many times and has all the achievements. He's still enjoying FFXIV, but takes the harder content slow while doing what he likes on the side. He's not hurting for games, I buy them for him all the time, he just never touches them. He may eventually, but he has to get tired of his other hyperfocuses first.

My mom is like this. She's very particular on the game she plays and it can be difficult to find her a new one. Still, it's good he is enjoying the game. Let's hope he meets some nice people down the line.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I think I'm almost...almost done with Tinykin. Should finish up tonight, assuming there's not a SURPRISE. One more full level! Most of the game is resource management, and the last level really ramps up the complexity. You have to go all over everywhere to get stuff you need, which means you have to remember where everything was. And if not...well. (●'◡'●) Heh.

Still a very cute game. Always makes me happy to support a small dev. Like supporting any small business. Feels good. After this I'll take a break, and then start in on Luigi's Mansion 3. Don't think I'll want to replay the whole thing... Getting back to the movie studio is a must, though. Still one of the best, laugh out loud moments I've ever had in a game.

I don't typically play spooky games for spooky month, but. The timing works out.

Plodding along in Genshin. Not done with the story, yet. Starting to level up some more characters I've neglected. Got Dori, so I still have all the 4 stars. Dori's animations are great, but that's about it. Her kit is...even worse than Shinobu. Which is saying something.

I am assuming based on the battle pass that Friday will be the 3.1 livestream. Which also counts as the anniversary livestream. I imagine Mihoyo will do a LITTLE more this year, considering the backlash to last year. :shifty:
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So uh, for months (I think) I've been quietly working on a VN called YOU and ME and HER: A Love Story. So quietly in fact, that I forgot all about it. Whoooops. I had finished the first route ages ago, I can't even remember when, but I'm sure was more than a month ago. I randomly remembered it existed last week and told myself to finish it sometime this week, and I just did. It was... wild to say the least. I can't say much without risking spoiling the whole thing, but if you're into meta breaking games, go for it. I will issue a warning though that it has sexually explicit content even with the censorship on.

Annnnd I'm still exhausted gaming wise towards my preferred genres. I finished this VN cause I started it and liked it, but it just got lost in life's flow, so I sat down and forced myself to finish it. I legit only have a desire to grind in FFXIV and Splatoon 3. I have YSIX, Atelier Ryza 2, The Great Ace Attorney, and Ooblets all just sitting on my consoles waiting for my motivation, but today is not that day. Maybe later.

I am redonks hype for all the upcoming 2023 games though, so maybe my love will reignite come January.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Won't post much now since it's late, but I wanted to make an update for Animal Crossing. I realized when playing today that I've played quite a bit of this game (95 hours). I'm surprised by this a bit because when the game first came out, I didn't play much of it. Not that it was bad or anything, but rather I wasn't too thrilled with not really being able to progress forward on my own terms when it came to time and not too thrilled with the crafting. Though the biggest thing for me was how the residents were a bit boring and the lack of many special characters.

My opinion hasn't changed much with how I feel about the residents, though it's nice having them around and they are cute. Same with the lack of special characters. I really wish so many hadn't been dropped in New Horizons. Anyway, I have come to love the crafting despite it sometimes being tedious. Same are my feelings for the progression of time. I've played the game for nearly a month and a half, and have come to respect and enjoy how they handled time progression with this game. It's made me take my time with things and has been really relaxing. I'm glad I've grown to like this feature honestly. The best parts of Animal Crossing New Horizons is the music, gameplay, and building.

As for where I am now, I just got my sixth resident and paid off all of my loans except for the basement. I also now have access to the DLC and spent some time designing vacation homes. I'm not the best with such a thing, but it was fun doing it. The DLC is a good thing to have when one gets a bit tired of fishing or bug catching.

Anyway, just wanted to post the progress I've made with Animal Crossing. It's a fun game :heart:
yzafre
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote: Sep 13, 2022 8:19 am I think I'm almost...almost done with Tinykin. Should finish up tonight, assuming there's not a SURPRISE. One more full level! Most of the game is resource management, and the last level really ramps up the complexity. You have to go all over everywhere to get stuff you need, which means you have to remember where everything was. And if not...well. (●'◡'●) Heh.
You were the one who recommended Tinykin! I was struggling to remember. I tried out the demo and had a BLAST, I'm absolutely going to be picking up the full game before the end of the year.

I haven't played a ton of games since finishing XC3. I have a vacation coming up, so I've been trying to finish any other outstanding projects before then... and there just haven't been a ton of games that have enticed me to buy them.

I did find and pick up a copy of HM:ANB, as seeing people talk about it recently made me want to go back and give it another try. I got it when it came out, and I remember really liking it, EXCEPT....

I got to... I guess based on the guide it would have been restoration plan #4? Anyways, I reached that around Spring of year 2, iirc. I think I had what I needed for most of it, but then I saw the one that requires the yams, which were impossible for me to get until Fall.... which meant I literally could not progress the story for several seasons. It felt like a pointless road-block to forcibly pad out my play time, and made me so mad I quit the game even though I had been really enjoying it until then. Ahah.

Anyways, I'm going to try again and hopefully not let that get to me.... or maybe save-scum the festivals to see if I can't win some seeds early.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I wonder how long it's going to take me to stop thinking of Tears of the Kingdom as 'Breath of the Wild 2'. Thanks also to that Direct (indirectly to the Direct, lol...a little more directly to RF3S) I finally realized why I prefer to play JRPGs with male leads, and it turns out it's not as shallow as I suspected. Surprise! Long story short: they just don't tend to give the kind of story I want to female characters. They're not often written as heroes in a way that is as satisfying to me.

It's a GORGEOUS fall day. Technically it's not autumn for another week (September 22...Potion Permit releases that day! Though my copy won't arrive until at least a week after that. This is why physical copies are hard to commit to, but I know I want to be able to lend this to my baby sis. In fact, I think I'll just make it a gift.) but it's 10C out right now...at NOON...that's 50F. Not summer weather! It became fall very specifically on September 1, this year. Kind of fun, how instantly it shifted from summer to fall on that day.

It's possible that my health problems are improving, but the many peculiar side-effects of the baclofen are only just dying down now, so I need another week or so before I can be sure, probably.

I've done a lot of the content of Dreamlight Valley. I have...lemme get out my fingers, here...I think just TWO of the characters currently existing in the game left to bring into the Valley, and I've unlocked all but the two most expensive regions. I'll have all of it done well before the first new-content update they do unless I stop playing entirely. They're planning to bring out a big patch soon but none of it is new content...all just bug fixes and improvements.

I haven't finished the Harvestella demo because I wanted to take my time looking around and farming and stuff...and you can't. Not if you want to go through the story content before the demo ends at 15 game days. So I have to restart cuz I can't beat the story boss in the time I have left. I thought I kind of hated the game, but I think I hate the DEMO, because of the way it won't let me do any of the things I want to. The game itself is probably good once you're free of that terminal time limit. Though it does make me feel rushed even without additional time constraints, which is a big drawback for me...I don't play games to cultivate stress. So I haven't made a decision on whether to get it or not. That's still a month-and-a-half away anyway.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Been dabbling through Splatoon 3's story mode. It's very much another Octo Expansion, which is fine, but I am horrendously bad at certain types of stages. You don't NEED to finish every stage to advance the story, but I'm being stubborn and wanting to clear everything. So far I've finished the first area and then put a pin in the second one after dying a ton on a specific stage. Played some Salmon Run to get some money for some good shoes and then bummed around FFXIV for the rest of the day.

I've actually been having problems with my wifi lately and we can't seem to figure out why. I had both my PS5 and Switch connected to it and haven't had any issues for awhile, but now I'm being plagued with connection errors constantly, and it's both very irritating and putting me in a 'banable offense' category for Splatoon specifically. I ended up connecting the PS5 to the house's internet (thankfully there was an ethernet plug nearby) which is working great, but that's apparently the last free jack for the internet in the house, so I'm going to have to keep using the Switch via wifi. At the suggestion of a family member, I moved my Switch from behind my TV to next to it (there's not a lot of space so I had to move some stuff around) and it's improved a little bit, but it's still not great. I get 'The connection is unstable' messages more than I do full disconnects, but still. This upcoming Splatfest is going to be interesting.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Somerandom wrote: Sep 09, 2022 5:13 pm
FarmingForDaysMan wrote:I’ve loved RF4 so much that I IMPULSIVELY purchased RF5 (despite already having read all of your opinions when the game first came out), thinking that I could make myself love the game. Currently not loving it.
I don’t blame anyone who tries RF5 after playing and enjoying RF4, it’s only natural for someone to want more of a game they enjoyed. It’s just unfortunate that RF5 (at least for me) didn’t live up to RF4 at all and just left me feeling disappointed.
I agree. I think what disappoints me the most about RF5 is it’s severe lack of humor. Well, maybe that’s just my opinion.
——-
I’ve finished traveling around the world with Uncle Dessy, but turns out one of the five Azran eggs is a fake! Stupid Targent!!! I wonder when they managed to do the swap; surely Robin and Macaw couldn’t have done it. They’re too dumb 😂

I’ve been sulking because I’m pretty sure that I had to delete my Hometown Story data in order to make room for Azran Legacy, the AA trilogy, and Story of Seasons, which I haven’t played in ages. Now I’ll never finish the game completely because I’m quite certain that I’ll never be able to complete the storyline again. It took me seven years of trying and restarting and trying again to get my first blue feather, soooooo I guess that’s the end of Hometown Story for me :,)

Edit: I checked, and I did delete my Hometown Story data. NOOOOOOOOOOO. Seven years of Hometown-Storying wasted! I’m a sham! But my stubbornness is telling me to do it all over again. I hope there’s enough data space left for the game. My super-OCD technique of keeping track of literally everything got me across the finish line on my last file, so maybe it’ll help me to get my first blue feather a lot quicker when I decide to pick the game up again. Randomness can’t beat lists! Besides keeping track of requests, completed requests, key items, etc., I think another major key to beating Hometown Story is having a whole lot of patience 😂

I’m dying to find out if Lamisa’s wish really ends the game. I read that it does, but then again, people said that other wishes ended the game. Those wishes didn’t end my game, but I would hate to get that far in the game again just to see Philip and Lamisa’s marriage restart my file xD
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

yzafre wrote: Sep 15, 2022 6:43 amYou were the one who recommended Tinykin! I was struggling to remember. I tried out the demo and had a BLAST, I'm absolutely going to be picking up the full game before the end of the year.
Yup, that was me. :lol: Glad you enjoyed it! Definitely scratches and itch that we don't get all that often anymore.
FarmingForDaysMan wrote: Sep 16, 2022 6:27 amEdit: I checked, and I did delete my Hometown Story data. NOOOOOOOOOOO. Seven years of Hometown-Storying wasted!
D: Oh no, I'm so sorry! I've been in that camp as well (struggling/failing to finish Hometown Story). Maybe some day you'll feel like trying again, but... you can absolutely say you tried.

Glad to see you're still enjoying Azran Legacy, btw!

--
I've only played 5 of the 15 available days in the Harvestella demo and...I THINK I'll go back to it tonight, I'm not sure. I feel like aside from the price, I'm pretty much sold on this one. I really enjoy genre mashups. They're a great way to alleviate the boredom that builds up in longer games.

No idea when/if I'll get to it, but I like it.

Tinykin is checked off the list now. I wouldn't have minded ONE more level than what we got, I think, but it was good! Got all the collectibles, did NOT get all the pollen. Went back to the first couple levels to comb through them for it and then decided I was very over it. My only complaint is how janky jumping on the soapboard is. It's only required for optional stuff, so it's not too bad, but I had to Google how to do it and then try a bunch of button pushing. Not great.

Story spoilers.
Spoiler:
That got WEIRD at the end. There were a lot of 90s references...and I never bothered looking it up...Strike that, looking now. Nevermind, 'Honey, I Shrunk the Kids' was 1989. (The ending/story explanation was...basically that movie. Just. Honey, I Shrunk Humanity. And then I made myself a robot to keep living until I could turn humanity back. :?: )

It's all very minor and side-loaded, you really have to interact with it aside from the ending sequence, but there's SO much referential humor in this game. I am the target audience. Even if I don't like all the properties referenced, I knew every one. I grew up on most of them.
Aaaand in Genshin news. I was right. 3.1 livestream today, and HOLY hell 3.1 is going to be busy. 2 more parts to the main story, a giant festival event in Mondstadt, the whole desert area to explore. I'm not even done with what story is out NOW. Do not even BEGIN to understand people complaining about a lack of content in this game. GET A HOBBY!

Anniversary rewards are on par with what was forced out of Mihoyo last year. 1600 primos, login rewards, a party popper thing, and a new pet! It's a bird this time, very cute.

And...it finally happened. Genshin Impact is getting an anime. Made by ufotable (the studio that did/does the compositing for Demon Slayer). Basically they're the reason Demon Slayer fight scenes look like they do. And Genshin got the big dollars. Big yuan, as it were. :lol:
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote: Sep 16, 2022 7:10 amAaaand in Genshin news. I was right. 3.1 livestream today, and HOLY hell 3.1 is going to be busy. 2 more parts to the main story, a giant festival event in Mondstadt, the whole desert area to explore. I'm not even done with what story is out NOW. Do not even BEGIN to understand people complaining about a lack of content in this game. GET A HOBBY!
I feel like most of the complainers are teenagers with little responsibility or the 'no lives' that literally have no hobbies outside their one hyperfocus/have nothing else to eat away their time (like a job, kids, ect). There's is so much content in Genshin it's insane, but if one does nothing but Genshin all the time, I can see it running dry eventually. I've personally done everything in the first two areas outside finishing exploration %, and while I'll eventually work towards 100% the entire game, it's not a priority, therefore I'm usually spoiled for choice when I boot up the game. I really think the overly needy Genshin players need to look into other games to keep them occupied at this point. Something like PSO2 would probably keep them pacified for aaaaages if they'd just scrape themselves away from their resin/artifact grind. It's the same with FFXIV players that to literally nothing but idle in the game because they're 'bored' after doing all the content. like, holy « Puppy Doodoo », the game director himself told you to take breaks and play other games, you have OPTIONS!

---

For some reason I stared Ys IX. I finished the daily grind in FFXIV and didn't feel like booting up any of my other current games, so I started a new one. I ended up making it to chapter 2 before I started nodding off (a regular occurrence with me) and I called it quits for the night. Will I get back to it soon? Who knows! I do like how it plays, always been a fan of modern Ys gameplay, very zoomy. I might play more of it on Tuesday (day off), but that is also reset day in FFXIV, and I am trying to keep up with the current gear meta, because future MSQ will require me to and I don't want to miss out when it's fresh. I am not a fan of the current raid tier though, the fights just aren't fun, more of a chore, really, especially the second one in the 2nd tier - WOW do I despise that fight. Alexander, Omega, and Eden were all really fun and I loved every second of the quest series. Pandaemonium is exhausting battle wise, but the story so far has been good. I think I like maybe two of the fights out of the current eight. I know this is supposed to be the top tier content, but it feels like the devs somewhere forgot that this is a video games and that it's supposed to be fun as well. There's way too many insta-death mechanics now. I will say that the current 24-man raid series is fantastic, so it's not like everything is bad. I will run Aglaia with zero complaints because it's a genuine good time. Can't wait for it's next tier.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

For some reason I'd assumed it be a good game (not sure why I just assumed that) but I'm feeling some doubt about Potion Permit.
Spoiler:
There are now reviews out there, and videos. Some of the reviews mostly gush almost foolishly. All of them rate it 8 or 9 out of 10, and the one review that just made me roll my eyes named everything about it positively superlative. But...sounds good, right? Thing is, I've seen the gameplay with my own eyes, now, and it just looks boring to me. Very little diversity in what you can do...cure people with mini games and run around foraging the rest of the time and that's about it...with a short story. And the reviews all gush about the graphics, saying they are "gorgeous". I am NOT a fan of 16-bit pixel graphics, and worse...the game has such a drab colour palette. Ten thousand shades of brown...yay. I can deal with visible pixels when the colours are eye candy, but when they're not, ugh.

Pretty sure the game is also full of minor glitches, too. It doesn't have weather or seasons, and you can date...there are three female and three male candidates...but you can't marry.

Play With Josh thinks the game is cute but fairly mediocre. Tbh, my opinions and his often clash, so I don't just take whatever he says as gospel, but I pretty much agree with his conclusions on it. I hope my sister likes it, but not sure if I'll get it...and if I do, I may wait and see about getting it for Steam Deck, as it apparently runs better on PC than Switch (which...kind of a no-brainer!)

Feeling some doubt about my purchase, anyway, especially as it's a gift. My sister thinks it looks cute, but she's actually like me...we like our games complicated and PACKED with things to do, maybe even more than you can fit into a day...we're not fans of simple or relaxing ("Cozy"...they call practically everything this now, to the point the word has lost meaning to me.)
I'm level 32 in DDV and have all but one character (it's just so hard to befriend Ariel...and I have to get her up to level 7 before I can continue on trying to get the last character.) and one region. I'll probably have the last region today. I have 5 characters at level 10 and no characters below level 4. It's still very glitchy and crashes a lot even after the patch, but it's a good game if you have to sit still...you can do nothing for hours in it, kind of. There's always little things to do with tiny rewards (like finding clothes or furniture or memories). I dunno if I'll maintain any interest once I have every region open and the final character in town, though.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Spoiler:
Currently playing:

Little Busters English Edition (Steam)
Doraemon: Story of Seasons (Switch)

Recently beat:

Loopers (Switch)
Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery (Switch)
Later Daters (one route) (Switch)

Games beat in 2022: 8
Hey, everyone. In Doraemon: Story of Seasons I've played over 10 hours. I'm on Summer 1 Year 1. I'm really enjoying it. No livestock yet, but I'm going to get chickens soon. Also, I'm working towards the first house upgrade.

In Little Busters, I've played only 4 hours. I'm still on the common route for that as well.

I did get a chance to play a little of the Harvestella Prologue demo (very little), but I'm not sure if it's the game for me. Maybe because I'm already playing a farming game?

I recently downloaded some demos, and bought some new games as well.
Spoiler:
The First set of games I bought were:

The Mysteries of Ranko Togawa: Murder on the Marine Express
Oooblets
Kirby's Dream Buffet
Here Comes Niko

The second set of games I bought were:
Bear & Breakfast
Kaichu
Fire Tonight
Pack Master
Gleaner Heights (+ the DLC)
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote: Sep 17, 2022 5:05 am\I feel like most of the complainers are teenagers with little responsibility or the 'no lives' that literally have no hobbies outside their one hyperfocus/have nothing else to eat away their time (like a job, kids, ect).
Oh yeah, teenagers are definitely a large part of the complaints for sure. Terminally online teens...at that.

It would be nice if more game directors were like Yoshi P. :) He sets such a great example. Can't imagine a gacha game ever doing that, though, since they basically have to keep their hooks in people to keep them from forgetting about the game. It's really just sad for the devs, since they get the brunt of all the idiots who don't know a THING about how games are made.

*Ahem* GTA 6 GamerBros TM *Ahem*

--
SPEAKING of Genshin...

Woof. I got sucked into "Chapter 2" of the main story quest, and... I guess it's a spoiler but it's also a warning so. You will hit a point where the game wants you to complete the story without doing anything else. I'm farming up boss materials (and friendship) and wanted to alternate between cutscenes and bosses, and, got a warning at a point that you may mess up the story by leaving. :/

NO idea if it's because you may just...spoil yourself on something or have to restart things. Just a warning. Have time set aside, or be willing to not do other stuff for a while.

The story is good though! Probably the most interesting so far, imo. I don't get a lot from stories like this, generally, but the writers are DEFINITELY getting better. Bit by bit.

And! I have to write this down somewhere. :lol: In my boss grinding, I've gotten some pretty big number vaporize hits with Hutao, though tonight was definitely the biggest. 136k. She's level 80 (A5), talents level 7, refinement 1 weapon! Sometimes just...nuking enemies in this game feels really, really good. Like all the effort spent raising a character actually amounted to something.

Edit: Forgot. I found my first spelling error... Hopefully it'll get patched by 3.1, but, I got me a screenshot for posterity either way.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Haven't particularly shortened my backlog lately as I am replaying in several games, but I'm having fun, so that's ok. I will get back to you eventually Skyward Link, I promise!

I have been mostly playing more Portia and Staxel, much of which is to just see what I can do. I have also fired up Ys 8 again and yes, it's still a gem in my eyes. I also finally got around to having my older brother come over and we played the TMNT Cowabunga Collection for a good while, even beat Turtles 2, yeah! That was a lot of fun to do together again, and it was nice too as I hadn't seen him for a while.