RF5 - Cut Love Interests

Covering Innocent Life (PsP/Ps2), Rune Factory 1 (DS), Rune Factory 2 (DS), Rune Factory 3 (DS/Switch), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii), Rune Factory Tides of Destiny (Wii/Ps3), Rune Factory 4 (3DS/Switch/Steam), and Rune Factory 5 (Switch/Steam).
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

It turns out that RF5 really does have unused data confirming that at least 3 more love interests were considered at some point, but were cut during development. These might be spoilers for possible DLC love interests if this stuff ever gets added back in, but, at the moment, this stuff is all unused content found in Rune Factory 5. It's in a spoiler tag just in case.
Spoiler:
The characters in question are Livia, Radea, and Terry. I know a lot of people on Reddit were really hoping that Terry was a love interest, but he's not in the finished game. Someone on Youtube found Radea and Livia's unused voice lines, which even include variations based off whether players play as Ares or Alice. These are all in English, by the way.

Radea's cut lines are here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGO2enpIS0w
Livia's cut lines are here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxjR0mpf9GA
Terry's cut lines were also ripped from the game, but not on Youtube. I'm not familiar with the website the lines were posted to, but this thread on Reddit has a transcript in addition to the link.

Admittedly, Livia caught me by surprize. I can see Terry and Radea as love interests, but Livia looks too childlike for my taste, and nothing indicates that she would have gotten another form for marriage. I kind of wish that Gideon was a potential love interest, but I know that cause other story-related problems.
If these characters were released as DLC, then which one would you be most likely to consider marrying? Is there another character that you would like as a marriage candidate instead?
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Actually, there are no characters this time that I wish had been candidates. (Well, except Doug, maybe, if you had RF4S data on your switch.) I don't really like Terry, though I know he's a popular one. There are more among the ladies...but I have no interest in dating the female characters, so I don't actually care. But if I DID, then I'd probably wish Elsje and Misaki were candidates. And Simone, too. They have more appealing designs than any of the women who ARE candidates...they all look under 20 to me, this time around.
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

My main choices would be Terry and Misasaki in an ideal world. Not a fan of Simone (plus she's married) and Elsje's model is super ugly to me (her portrait is fine tho) but I also find her very boring so pass.
Spoiler:
I actually don't mind Livia as a candidate in some ways because she gives off an adult vibe. Like its not a Nowi from FEA situation where she looks like a child and acts like a child too.

She's too damn young overall but if Radea wouldve become workable there is no reason her older sister shouldn't.

If they released Livia, Terry, & Radea as DLC candidates Id go for Radea and Terry.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Of the sisters, whom regardless of looks are VERY old, the youngest did very much attract me and was disappointed to learn they were not available. If they were added in a DLC ... I'd be very tempted.

I do wish that someday the PC and candidates can at least look like they are 18+ in age. This time around some of the male candidates look it, but most the girls looks like they are 14-16 at best. Scarlett I'd give an pass to since she's half elf she may give the appearance of being younger than she is and even still she still looks around 18 in age. Ludmila would also pass as 18+. Oddly enough because of their race Scarlett and Ludmila could be very old themselves for all we know. And since animals often age faster than humans could Fuuka be younger than she already looks? Don't know much about the lore of beastmen in RF.

Just look at the change in Doug from RF4 to RF5, if they could just start with the version in RF5 initially it would be nice.

Besides the younger sister mentioned above, I would have liked to see Simone and Misasagi (seems I always like the moms). With the eye patch Simone reminds me of Lynette from Rune Factory 1, whom I did marry in one of my plays.
white66
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

It's really disappointing to see RF fall into the "looks like she's 12 but is actually 700 years old" trope. It's gross and there's no excuse for it.
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

RF5 hasn't done that trope at time of writing. This is all cut and unused content. While it becoming DLC is an option, because the game has been out for a year in Japan, it's unlikely at this point. Apparently, RF5 will be shown at some Japanese event in May, so it's possible that DLC will be announced there (which is why I'm using spoiler tags), but that is all speculation at this time.

Over all, I'm in the camp of "if it's kept strictly fictional, then it's fine." The "character who looks and/or acts like a kid but is actually a love interest" is not to my taste. I don't like it, but, if other people do, then, to use a Polish expression, that's not my circus and not my monkeys. What weird about how I work is that I'd be okay with dating and marriage if
Spoiler:
Livia did all of this in dragon form, as that form looks fully developed and, to my human-eyes, doesn't register a elementary schooler as I do with Livia's human form. Radea's human form also doesn't register at an elementary schooler and is more like a freshman high-schooler to me, which is still too young for marriage, but those seeming grade differences affect how distasteful I find the dragon sisters as love interests. (I would also be down with dating Radea's dragon-form, too, but I don't care for tsuderes.)

I would have preferred that Elsje had been one of the cut female love interests instead. Simone (and her children) mentions that Simone has a husband who works far way, so she's off the table. Misasaki's husband and Hina's father died somewhat recently, or/and Misasaki is still in mourning regardless, which is why she's not an option. I don't get why Elsje wasn't an option. Apparently, she and Simone are roughly the same age, but neither look that old. Terry just isn't interested in the main character, by the way, which is something DLC could easily change, and, sure enough, he's the cut male love interest.

(I also would have preferred if Fuuka, who looks and acts like a young middle-schooler to me, wasn't a love interest at all, but that's out of my hands. I can deal with character who at least acts somewhat mature despite their youthful appearance, but Fuuka doesn't from what I've seen of her events. Cecil, in comparison, comes across as naive and enthusiastic, but he's wise enough of world to know what dating and love entails, unlike Fuuka, who, even after having other were-people try to explain the basic concept to her (which should bypass her language problems with Rigbarth's native tongue), struggles to wrap her mind around it.)
white66

Post  Posted:

Whether they're marriageable or not the fact remains that these are ancient beings that have for some reason chosen to take on the appearance of barely pubescent girls, one of whom is so scantily clad that her pubic hair would be showing if she looked old enough to have it. You know who this is for. My point stands.
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Ah, I think I misunderstood you a bit. I thought this specifically was in response to the cut content. As for the presence of the trope itself in the game, yeah, I can't deny that. Technically, this goes back to RF4 with Ventuswill's human form, which was an Easter egg. It seems that dragon lolis are becoming a thing in Rune Factory.
white66

Post  Posted:

I didn't mean to be snippy with you, I apologize. Stuff like this just really bothers me. I've been having a hard enough time looking past the game's aesthetics, and this issue makes me think it's just as ugly on the inside as it is on the outside.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Please oh please let me marry Terry :heart:

Just my opinion but for those of us who went for the deluxe deal, this possible DLC should be free. Because $20 for clothes was ridiculous (I’m counting the swimwear)
Kikki wrote: (Well, except Doug, maybe, if you had RF4S data on your switch.)
I see why he isn’t marriageable considering RF4 did the same with Barrett(I think that was his name) but yes, it’d be nice.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Honestly I've always felt the same about elves in the game. In fact if you romance Margaret in RF4 you get an idea of the problems involved with elf/human relationships. She may be old enough to have already been married to humans a couple times, watch them die of old age, had kids, watched them grow old and die, etc., before you even meet her in RF4. And any relationship you have with her will end that way unless you both die of unnatural causes. So the idea of 'growing old together', like Yuki and Randolph, isn't going to happen. While I know it's a fantasy game, these ideas often come into my mind when thinking about what's best for my PC.

As far as characters acting like a child, at least there isn't an Amber in RF5, though Fuuka can be taken that way I feel for her it's more of a lack of social skills with humans than just being child-like.

But as far as the sisters being added in a DLC, again I'd be tempted, though I have said on this board before there are already way too many love interests to deal with in the game, especially since you have to raise everyone's affection for certain requests, which means going through all the love events for a dozen people already when you may only be actually interested in a couple of them.
iloverainbow
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Am I the only one who wishes Gideon was a marriage candidate? lol
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I wouldn't have minded Gideon being a love interest.
Spoiler:
Give Gideon a good redemption act as part of his events and I'm sold. I think it would be interesting to see him fully come to grips with his actions. As of the whole "dying at the end of the story" thing, in RF4, the main character managed to revive a divine dragon, who is also a deity. I would imagine that a regular mortal would be much easier to bring back compared to the dragon goddess. Perhaps the story could also go over the ramifications (if any) resurrection has on a character or the universe or something. Ventiswell came back with seemingly no problems, but she may have just been a special case for all we know.
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I'm actually fine with the LIs that we have. Elsje, Terry, and Misa never really interested me, and I like Livia a lot more as our boss than a romantic option. Gideon also feels too old; either he has some elf blood or whoever designed him didn't realize that he's supposed to be in his 50s or something.
Spoiler:
I haven't gotten Radea into town yet, so I have no opinions on her. Though I'm leaning towards no since she did try to kill us multiple times. Some people can overlook that, I can't.
On another note, I read online that someone liked the idea of Terry/Misa because Terry gives her the general store and now I really like that! Terry would make a sweet step-dad to Hina and it would give a good reason why Terry isn't into the MC (besides the age difference). I don't know; Terry just gives off 'dad' vibes to me. Like, I like the idea of him being a surrogate father to Ares/Alice more than a love interest.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

The non-marriageable candidate I'd like most would be Misasagi, just because I would enjoy a story about helping her with her grief, and I think it would be interesting if you could parent Hina together. I would also enjoy "Kumo as BIL"-type interactions. A plot like that is sort of outside the scope of Rune Factory, though. -_-
Spoiler:
I do wonder if the cut content would be DLC? It seemed super-unlikely to me, but the English voices make it more believable. I could totally see and understand Terry, though I have no interest in him myself. Weird there wouldn't be a female counterpart to Terry - realistically, Elsje, I guess? Her design puts me off a bit, but she has a funny personality.

Super-not into the dragons myself, mostly due to the design.