Games Stuck in 'Limbo'

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You even been following or anticipating a game for so long that it doesn't seem like it's ever going to come out? Usually they don't have a solid release window either, so you're just watching and waiting until you get some solid info. A lot of these games have one big trailer and then go radio silent or there's a small trickle of info from devs, but nothing big, per say. I have 3 games like this I'm waiting on. I tend to try and not get overhyped when a new game gets revealed as I've found my excitement degrades over time, causing said game to become 'meh' in my eyes instead of 'must play' when it finally releases. However, said three games are managing to keep my hype and I am agonizing over when I'll finally get to play them.

The first being Hollow Knight: Silksong. It's been over 3 years now since the trailer dropped and the Hollow Knight fandom collectively boarded the hype train, myself included. Silksong was originally only going to be DLC for Hollow Knight, allowing you to play as a new character in said game, but the devs decided to make it into it's entire own game instead. Cool! Even more Hollow Knight than we initially anticipated, but unfortunately it's been so long since the announcement that it's become a meme. The devs do drip feed info now and then, but you can't attend a Nintendo Direct or honestly any gaming show without people spamming Silksong comments in the live chat. I was hoping for this year, but if there's no news at Nintendo's digital event they have instead of E3, I'll pin my hopes on next year instead.

The second is a remake of a PSP title I loved Fate/EXTRA Record. I played the original Fate/Extra a lot when I was in college. It helped me relax after long days and I have very fond memories of it. It also got me into the Fate series overall which I still partake in and enjoy. While it's only been one year since the trailer dropped, that's quite literally all we got. They dropped 3 trailers in a month and there's been nothing since. It also doesn't help that Type Moon is infamous for it's delays on the games they produce. It took over 10 years for them to remake a VN, and it ended up being only two routes (with the others promised later) when it finally came out. Studio BB is a side studio doing it's own thing, but I hope this game comes out before 10 years pass. I'm willing to bet it'll be a PS5 exclusive when it does.

Finally, the third game is DokeV. It's an MMO turned single player by devs of a popular Korean MMO called Black Desert Online. This game intrigues the hell out of me. It's looks like crazy fun and I'd be lying that I didn't look for a PS5 a little faster when they revealed it'd only be on new hardware. This one is the least 'limboish' out of the three as the most recent update on the game was in January, but the radio silence since + all the other games the devs have on their plate are not making me hopeful for a release any time soon. They're not only managing their MMO, but also trying to update it for current hardware, and they're working on a single player fantasy game, plus DokeV on top of it all. I'd love to be wrong, but I'll remain patient for the time being.

Alright, your turn. Share away!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Nope! Well, yes, but...also no. Unfortunately, I am utterly unable to maintain my hype for years. It simply dies if it isn't fed enough. I was pretty interested in Mineko's Night Market when it was announced, for example, but now if it was released tomorrow, I don't think I'd buy it at all. It still looks good and all, but my anticipation got stretched so out of shape that it just shattered *shrug*.

The same thing happened with Re: Legend. It looked great, like a cross between Bokumono, Fantasy Life and Pokemon, but the devs constantly promising results by *insert time frame here* and then coming up with reasons why that wasn't feasible, over and over and OVER...anticipation now completely dead. No interest. If it came out now, I wouldn't buy it...not until I saw a lot of reviews for it on my platform of choice, anyway, since I know they've made loads of changes that were never added to their beta or early access version on Steam. (I don't know why they bothered doing early access on Steam and then never updated it, even though they HAVE a lot of updates done.)

I think I will still be interested in Sandrock when it comes out, but that's because I never let myself become particularly hyped for it in the first place. I chose NOT to kickstart it, as I didn't enjoy being Kickstarter for console for Portia, and didn't want to go through that again. I'm not really thinking about when I'll get to play Sandrock, so when it does become possible it'll just be a nice surprise that I'll probably have some interest in.

I'm anticipating Star Ocean: The Divine Force...but barely. I haven't looked up any details and though it's slated for 2022, I'm expecting it to be delayed and in general am simply not thinking about it. Have also stopped thinking about BotW 2, though I feel like they'll probably get to it in Spring 2023 as last suggested. Probably. But until it has a specific release date, I'm not going to think about it, because drawing things out is a certain way to kill my hype entirely.

Mostly I wish companies would learn to stop announcing their games so many years before they're ready. Little indies might HAVE to if they need Kickstarter, but big companies like Nintendo jeepers. But then, maybe the anticipation works for their stock value or something. :/
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I suppose the biggest excitement killer on my list is Genshin Impact for Switch. When it first came out for Playstation, PC, and mobile devices, I really wanted to give it a try. Now it's been so long I don't really care anymore. Supposedly they are supposed to still be working on it, but I think it's pretty much vaporware for Switch at this point. I could be wrong though, but even if they surprise everyone with it eventually, I probably won't be excited.

Most of the other games I am interested in that are in limbo have loose dates at least, like the TMNT collection, Snacko, and BOTW2. I am interested in Sandrock too, but on Switch not PC, but I am not sure how much of a hot mess that will end up being right off, lol. Most of the the other games I have been interested in, but either took too long or went off the radar, I end up forgetting about anyway.
Sailor Harvest Moon
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I’m just waiting for the Switch version of the new Evil Dead game to be released.
Last edited by Sailor Harvest Moon on May 12, 2022 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Not sure if Re:Legend counts, but it certainly has been in early access a bit and their Kickstarter page has been month after month for about a year, "1.0 is coming!" and it's getting tiresome.
Feed fish
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I'm feeling this about Mineko's Night Market. Was supposed to come out in 2019, turns out they were pretty short staffed and the game was nowhere close to finished. It's tough for an indie game development but it's good to know your limits.

Also, Oddity. Winter 2014 - we coming up to ten years since then.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You know what's been a fair while coming and legitimately seemed like it'd be scrapped? Digimon Survive. I not only liked the character design and what I saw of the landscape art, I also liked how it looked like it was full of choices that would have consequences. I love that in a JRPG, and it's pretty rare, I find, that your choices really do have consequences. Some games give the APPEARANCE of giving you meaningful choices, but you find that all choices lead to the same outcome anyway. :/

Found out that it's actually coming out this time, soon...July 29. But it looked great from the start, and then for some reason they decided to basically start over (I don't remember WHY...something about wanting to take a new direction or something?) and it just kept appearing and disappearing from public view. I gave up thinking about it because I couldn't tell if it'd ever fully materialize or not, and I guess that's the key. If you can completely put a game aside and not think about it at all, you can get your anticipation back if it eventually DOES come out.

That's been happening to me a lot more lately, lol. AI: The Somnium Files is also getting a sequel, which I knew about, and I'm interested, but I never tried to follow it. It hasn't been delayed or anything, so no problem there, but recently they announced a delay (only for Europe though, not for where I live) to...I think it was July 9, from June 24 or something like that. For me that was HAPPY news, as I hadn't realized it was coming out that soon! So I guess there's something to be said for NOT following the news of the game world. Anticipation stays fresher if it's not overfed.

But I do also enjoy the anticipation of a game I really, really want. Sometimes the anticipation turns out to be even more fun than the game itself. I would sure be thrilled to hear of an XCX port, XCX2, or DQB3, I know that much. And I would devour every SCRAP of info I could, even if I knew I shouldn't, lol.
Lynzahai
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Remember Mother 4? or "Oddity"? Lol
Liliana93
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

The elder scrolls 6 and dragon age 4 are the poster children of being in limbo for me, both have been teased for years and it just hasn't made any progress. I'm mostly focusing on studios that do deliver now (even with a few delays) and just kind of either rediscover or keep things on the back burner, I also haven't supported early access or kickstarter games in a while cause I'm tired of investing in half-finished products and getting disappointed.