Getting different fruit in Animal Crossing New Horizon?

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Pumpkin Queen
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I've been playing Animal Crossing NH since Christmas, and I still only have coconuts and oranges and pears. I've been trying to get the other fruit, but I'm not having much luck. I've been doing Kaptain's tours and nook miles tickets, but all I seem to get are coconuts and oranges, with an occasional pear. I've even tried letters with oranges, in hopes I'll get a different fruit. What seems to be the best way to get new fruit? I'm dying to do some of the other fruit based diy recipes.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I think the ONLY way to get other fruit is by trading (multiplayer.) Island visits will always net the same fruits because your native fruit is set as soon as you choose your home island, and so is your sister fruit (the 'rare' fruit, which for you sounds like it is pears) and you'll never get any other that way, other than coconuts, which *everyone* can get by island visiting pretty easily, since they are native to any visited island beach. (I still miss bananas and perfect fruits, wish they were in the game.)

Other than that, by luck you can hope to get other fruit from letters from mom, I think. The only other method is trade with other players. I've never received fruit from villagers, personally. Dunno if that means you can't or if it's just rare or if I just had bad luck in that area, but Googling the answer gives the same info as I am delivering, here...the only way to get other fruit beyond your two set fruits and coconuts is to trade with other players, or wait a long time hoping you'll simply get lucky. I do think all players eventually get a third regular fruit type from 'mom' but I don't remember when. (It was quite early on, though, in the first few days of gameplay, iirc. Apparently some players are unlucky and get their sister fruit from mom, or so I've read other players saying. I can't confirm personally, though, that it might end up your sister-fruit...I got a third fruit that way.)

Without trading with other players, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to ever get more than three fruits, though. (Not including coconuts.) I'm not sure any amount of luck will ever net you the other two.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah you’re best bet is trading online. Unless you have a second switch with the other fruit on it.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I think I have peaches, apples, cherries, coconuts, and oranges, but I can’t remember how I got all of them. I might have received one of the fruits from my brother when we played together one time. I would keep trying island tours?
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You really can't ever get anything but two fruits from island tours. Only your own native fruit and, a little more rarely, your sister fruit. I've read that the incidence of sister-fruit is 9%, it was from well-known ACNH dataminer 'Ninji', who did a full plumbing of the code to find all the numbers relating to mystery island tours. No other fruit will ever show up, unfortunately :( I saw one guy saying 'well maybe the percentage for other fruits is even lower than 1%', but that's not possible as a reason why it isn't in the code. It'd still be in the code as a number...1% or 0.1% or 0.01% or 0.000000001%...it'd still have to be written in there, to be possible outside of a glitch.

This is actually one of the main things that gets people to try the multiplayer function...quite sure Nintendo did it this way on purpose to FORCE us to have to play with others. (BLAH! lol)

Without trading (which can be done without NSO or even any internet at all) you can only ever get 3 regular fruits plus coconuts. One is your native. Two is your sister-fruit, the fruit that shows up more rarely on island tours. Three is the fruit your mom sends you in the mail. (Sadly, it is possible that you can get your sister-fruit from mom, as I've seen several accounts of people who did. Nintendo should have made that impossible, imo, that most people get a new fruit that way but some get the sister-fruit!) And coconuts makes four...you'll be stuck without two of the fruit trees, at that point.

I checked into this further after I posted and it's confirmed, as far as I can tell. No one has ever found any other fruit but their native or sister-fruit on a mystery or tour island, even a rare one. There is some confused information where some people THINK they found other fruits on islands but when questioned, can't remember any details or provide any proof of where they got their fruits, so there are no reliable sources saying you can find other fruits on islands, and they're never gifted by villagers. The only way to get them is by trading with another player.

You (general 'you'...applies to anyone) could keep trying to prove this data wrong and take screenshots or a video if you DO find another fruit, and then it'd be settled! But if you do, you'd be the first to provide proof that any fruit other than your native one or your sister-fruit can be found on a visited island, at least as far as I've been able to see. I haven't been able to find a single case where anyone showed it to be possible. I wanted to find some evidence that it was possible, but I couldn't. So if anyone ever does actually have it happen to them, that they find more than their native or sister-fruit on an island, PLEASE put some proof on the internet somewhere, it'd be super helpful! Until proof exists, it's just hearsay.

Ah, but you're not stuck needing online to get all the fruits. If you find someone locally who also has the game...fruit can be traded in a local link-up without any need to pay for the online subscription. :) Players would have cried foul for sure, if you had no choice but to pay extra money for a service just to get all the fruits.

EDIT: Can't help myself, cuz it was funny...though in a slightly frustrating way. I was looking around a lot to try to find any actual proof (such as a video or some datamined code, etc, since we actually KNOW the probabilities of everything that can be found on mystery islands via datamining) of other fruits existing on mystery islands and
Spoiler:
I saw a debate about this online, with one person insisting that it is possible to find all fruits via island tours or mystery islands, against all available evidence. When argued with, they demanded that the other people prove you can't get other fruits that way, but non-existence is never provable. The burden of proof lies on those who would claim that something DOES exist, not on those who say that it doesn't. You can't prove that Santa Claus doesn't exist. You can't prove that your sister's imaginary friend Puddles doesn't exist. You can prove that your parents are the one who brought those gifts, or that your sister is the one who peed the bed, not Puddles...but you can't prove the non-existence of those imaginary beings even by doing so.
ANYWAY! Pumpkin Queen, if you already have the online, then one of us can give you fruit. :) If you don't, try to link up with a friend or family member IRL who has the game and trade via local connection, instead. No internet required.

EDIT 2: Oh wait, I left out bamboo. Not sure if any of you consider bamboo to be a 'fruit'...it's not on the achievement list...but I have no idea if the shoots can be used in cooking or not, so maybe it counts? Anyway, those are quite easily gotten from mystery islands...the incidence of bamboo island is 10%, which means it tends to be relatively easy to get one, unless you just have bad luck.
Pumpkin Queen
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Really? That's pretty annoying! How do you get online in this game? I guess you need to get some kind of island address, but how do you get it in this game? And does this require getting one of those paid account things from Nintendo? I only need peaches, cherries and apples now. I actually JUST got bamboo trees from Kaptain's tours! Still don't know how to get more bamboo shoots though....
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Pumpkin Queen wrote: May 29, 2022 7:56 pm Really? That's pretty annoying! How do you get online in this game? I guess you need to get some kind of island address, but how do you get it in this game? And does this require getting one of those paid account things from Nintendo? I only need peaches, cherries and apples now. I actually JUST got bamboo trees from Kaptain's tours! Still don't know how to get more bamboo shoots though....
You have to get a Nintendo online account. That’s the only way you can play online games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You don't need Nintendo Online at all to trade, IF you know someone you can meet up with in-person. Then your switch and theirs link directly together via wireless connection between the switches themselves, NOT with the online service.

You don't need an island address for trading. (That's used only for Dream travelling.) You technically don't even need friend codes to be able to visit people if you open your gates to everybody rather than to friends only, though if you don't befriend someone, you wont' be able to send them MAIL, or receive it from them, and sending mail is the fastest and easiest way to trade, once you've made an in-game 'friend', since then you don't need to arrange to meet up, and you can just send an item to someone whenever you want and it is instantly sent. (You can only send two letters to one friend per day, though, and each can only have ONE present attached, though things that stack in your inventory can be sent in those stacks.)

If you want it, to get your Switch friend code, go to your player profile on the switch. Just click your player icon at the top left of the HOME screen, and go to Profile. Your friend code is beside your icon (which is in the middle of the top), on the right of it. They're 12-digit number combos. (Mine, for example, is SW-5802-5066-7223. The SW isn't actually necessary.)

If you input that via the 'Add Friend' menu feature in your profile, the other person will have to accept your friend request (or you'll have to accept theirs, if they're the one to input your code.) and then you're 'friends'. That just makes it easier to be selective about who you let into your town.

It's not really necessary, though! Not unless you want to make permanent ACNH friends. You can always just throw your gates open (or they throw theirs open) and let people in, and use a DODO code that Orville or Neville or whoever the guy at the desk is will give you if you want to limit who can visit while your gates are thrown open. (You'll then have to communicate the code to whoever it is you want to have visit you...or get them to tell you the code they've used if you are the one who is to visit them.)

You can befriend someone in-game once they visit you, though you don't have to befriend anyone if all you want to do is get a few fruits and leave it at that. If that is ALL you want to do, you don't actually need to know your Switch friend code OR your Dream Address...just make arrangements with someone and then one of you opens your gate and the other pops on over and drops off whatever was agreed upon, or you pick it up from their island, or whichever you go with.

EDIT: If you don't know all you have to do, tell me what method you mean to use (whether you can trade with a friend in person or not), and I'll try to give you step-by-step instructions. Things get more confusing if I try to explain while not knowing if I'm telling you about local connection, internet connection, or even if you would go to their island or if they would come to yours. Much easier to provide concise instructions if I know exactly what you want to do.