Do you create your own challenges for your HM/SoS games?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You definitely have to make your own fun in farming life sims. (Maybe ALL life sims.) I don't do challenges, and I am NOT competitive (competition destroys any fun I could possibly get out of anything and makes it ugly for me, instead) but...I can't enjoy a Bokumono game unless I'm playing as efficiently as I can. Getting the right upgrades at the earliest opportunity, making the most money I can to get the ideal crops and/or animals in time to accomplish a game's goal at the first chance, etc. I don't have fun at all if I'm just wandering idly through the story, doing a touch of chores here and there like an Animal Crossing game. No way.

This is also why my fun with these games is significantly damaged by the lack of a good guide, and why I have never been and will never be in favour of simultaneous worldwide release of Bokumono games. I want to go back to when we had to wait a year after Japanese release, because that's when all the information got out and how we ended up with guides that were already half-finished by the time the game came out in North America. It's just what's fun for me. I don't like a game that meanders, and I don't want to have to make my own goals...I want the game to provide me with plenty to choose from, right in-game. I don't want to tip-toe through the tulips. I want to go hard into my farming and money-making and building, and accomplish all my tasks in a massive blaze of glory.

Exactly the opposite of what many others prefer, but even those who don't create generational stories or anything else, we probably all have our way of making these games the most fun they can be, for ourselves.
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Shan O 123 wrote: Jul 01, 2022 12:50 pm I’m going to keep track of my challenge here: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/the-legacy987

Posting it here so I don’t have to make a separate thread
OMG! This is so cool! I never thought to blog it. I've just been keeping track of my challenge progress in my forum sig. I'll be following your progress. :)

I'm not really competitive with these games either. I tried to once with a friend who was bored with the franchise in general but I ended up just going at my own pace, and she lost interest and stopped playing. There wasn't many out at the time. I think the most recent one out at the time was Island of Happiness. Even I didn't much care for that game either, which was a shame because some of my all time fave HM characters were in it, so that was an added bonus that Sunshine Island came out and was much better.

I'm onto Story of Seasons (the first SoS game,) and I've added a new sub-challenge to my legacy. My character strikes me as the type of person that just goes with the flow. Every year she picks a new "hobby" that results in an income. Year 1, she focused on crops that she could cook and sell the dishes. Year 2, she is putting a lot of effort into pottery. For year 3, I'm planning on carpentry where she makes furniture.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah it’s more easier to post on Tumblr cuz I can make dialogue pages
Terdin
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: Jul 02, 2022 5:13 am I can't enjoy a Bokumono game unless I'm playing as efficiently as I can. Getting the right upgrades at the earliest opportunity, making the most money I can to get the ideal crops and/or animals in time to accomplish a game's goal at the first chance, etc. I don't have fun at all if I'm just wandering idly through the story, doing a touch of chores here and there like an Animal Crossing game. No way.
That sounds remarkably similar to the way I play. While I might not look at guides before I start playing, it usually won't be long before looking for one. I've also started over more than once because I've felt I haven't got off to a good enough start.