Story of Seasons: AWL remake announced!

What happened to Murrey!? A remake of Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (2004) and Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (2005) for Nintendo Switch. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jan 2023. NA release = June 2023. EU release = June 2023.
TahoeMario
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Guest wrote: Nov 14, 2022 11:57 pm I'm confused, is that supposed to be Cody or not
It is but his name is Gordy now (which was always his Japanese name in AWL) and they've made changes to his face and body and stuff. But his personality and career... or passion, I guess, is the same and there are also obviously brand new Heart Events, Family Events and his son and daughter are new, since he's never been able to be woo'd before.

Anyway. Here is the lone new JP screenshot for today:
Spoiler:
Another sort of redundant update, this is promoting the month of "Amber" aka Autumn. The month when the leaves on the trees turn amber; the season when the animals on the farm come alive... whatever that means. Also, turtle.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

YESSSSSSSS LETS GO, get your popcorn everyone! Who will win: Nina or turtle??
TahoeMario
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Here are the new screenshots for today, showing off Pui:
Spoiler:
In the second image, he's saying "you seem like a nice guy. Pui's dream, will you make it come true with me?". In the third one, he appears to just be excitedly repeating his name like a Pokémon but we do get to see him in what looks like his new begging pose. Although, he's now at the bridge which I don't recall him setting up at before but
xmintpie
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Pui looks very cute! At first, I was a bit sad about the change, but honestly, I quite like him! I hope they keep some of his events like taking food etc lol. I wonder if they moved him there for his donations so it doesn't conflict with when the player may want to set up a shop? not too sure though
Anna_Lynn
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Well the version I always played was the special edition, and I can confirm that Murrey always begged for money on the bridge. It wasn't until I played the girl version on gamecube when I saw him begging for money in other spots, like near the blue bar or next to the trees behind the inn.
Crystal Power
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

So seeing as how they are making everything more, um, nice, lovely, or is the word happy? Anyway seeing as the direction things are, the bar is a café (to avoid alcohol), the bachelors are less rugged, Lumina is not underage from the start, Murrey is no longer poor/dirty, etc. Do anyone think they may allow (not sure if I have to spoiler tag this)
Spoiler:
Nina to live or at least make her death preventable if the player choose to?
TahoeMario
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Crystal Power wrote: Nov 16, 2022 1:27 pm So seeing as how they are making everything more, um, nice, lovely, or is the word happy? Anyway seeing as the direction things are, the bar is a café (to avoid alcohol), the bachelors are less rugged, Lumina is not underage from the start, Murrey is no longer poor/dirty, etc. Do anyone think they may allow (not sure if I have to spoiler tag this)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Didn't they already somewhat spoilerize that themselves? In one of the newest trailers, I think... it might have even been both of them, actually; if not, then it was probably the JP trailer but there is a clip in it that I believe pretty much answers that question. Because I remember thinking it was probably a little too spoilery to really be showing rn, even out of context.

Edit:
Although now that I re-read your question, I suppose this doesn't actually answer it properly. I mean, it's possible that they do add an extra event or something like that in order to prolong it, but it seems like something that maybe can't be helped entirely. It'd be cool if you could do something to basically unlock more time with her though, I would like to see something like that. And, I will say, we haven't seen anything that necessarily confirms one way or the other if it still happens as soon as it used to or not yet.
Anna_Lynn wrote: Nov 16, 2022 12:29 pm Well the version I always played was the special edition, and I can confirm that Murrey always begged for money on the bridge. It wasn't until I played the girl version on gamecube when I saw him begging for money in other spots, like near the blue bar or next to the trees behind the inn.
Oh, okay. SE was the one I played the least of and I literally don't think I can recall a single time I have ever seen him on the bridge. I had seen him a few times behind the inn and thought it odd because who would really go find him there, basically hidden in the swamp, in order to even donate to him. I'm pretty sure he even scared me the first time I found him back there because it was getting dark, I walked around the inn and saw just a pair of eyes and it took me a minute to even figure out what he was lmao. He would most often come set up next to me while I was selling stuff because I remember thinking it was awfully convenient that I'd rarely see him begging until the moment I was making money lol. Of course, he would be outside the bar at other times too, but it just seemed like everytime I opened up shop, I could count on him not being too far behind. Couldn't he sit near the Spring too? I feel like there was another spot somewhere strange and out of the way like that.

Also, I noticed that, in Pui's new concept art, it shows a different flower on his head from the one in the third image. As well, that one is equally unique when compared to the flower on his head that can be seen in one of the previous images. The one where he and Mukumuku were outside during the Winter time, looking at a flower on the ground with Cecilia's son. So, I wonder what causes his flower to change. Is it different from season to season or does it change between chapters? Or maybe we can influence it somehow?? Perhaps the more donations you give and the happier you make him is what causes the flower to blossom, or just by befriending him maybe. It'll be interesting to see what happens with that.

I went back and found said image for anybody who may want to see what I'm talking about:
Spoiler:

Anyway. Here is the lone new screenshot for the 17th:
Spoiler:
This is obviously the fourth and final of the seasons images, this one promoting the month of "Indigo" aka Winter. The month where pure white snow falls from the dark sky and bittersweet wild grass peeks out from the gaps in the ground. I believe this is our first good look at the Sprites Tree too.
Anna_Lynn

Post  Posted:

Perhaps Pui's flower does change based on season since in the picture where he's on the bridge, the flower is red like a happy lamp, which blooms in Summer/Pepper, and those trees in the background are neither pink or orange. Then I suppose when the flower wilts in the season change, he switches it out for the next native flower, like the white one in the Mukumuku picture to symbolize Winter/Indigo. Maybe it's yellow in Spring/Parrot, and...trick blue in Autumn/Amber?

I'm also so curious to know if Murrey/Pui is going to age between chapters. In the original game, him and Cody/Gordy never once got new character models, they stayed young forever. If they're turning Pui into a laid back flower hippie, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't age in the remake either, lmao!
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

For the record, Pui's character introduction says something along the lines of "A man dreaming of Coco Island. The butterflies circling around him, Tomoki and Tomoko, are his friends." I don't remember much about Murrey in the original game so I'm not sure if that's new.
justjess
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I don't think I'll be buying this game. they have changed WAYYY too much from ds cute. If they're gonna go full 3D too then they should focus on there not being any pop-in, it is so ugly and distracting. I have a bad feeling this is gonna be a worse version of poot and that's not good 😂
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

justjess wrote: Nov 17, 2022 10:56 am I don't think I'll be buying this game. they have changed WAYYY too much from ds cute. If they're gonna go full 3D too then they should focus on there not being any pop-in, it is so ugly and distracting. I have a bad feeling this is gonna be a worse version of poot and that's not good 😂
Well, this is a remake of the Wonderful Life series on the Gamecube and PS2 as opposed to DS/Cute on the DS, which are sequels to the AWL series. Maybe that's why you feel a bit disconnected from them?
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Hm, I still miss Moi :( and yeah, I always remember him begging between Van’s shop and the Blue Bar. If I remember correctly, he would beg precisely in the spot where Van set up shop. When Van would come, I think Murrey would be forced to move next to him xD
Crystal Power
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

TahoeMario wrote: Nov 16, 2022 3:01 pm
Crystal Power wrote: Nov 16, 2022 1:27 pm So seeing as how they are making everything more, um, nice, lovely, or is the word happy? Anyway seeing as the direction things are, the bar is a café (to avoid alcohol), the bachelors are less rugged, Lumina is not underage from the start, Murrey is no longer poor/dirty, etc. Do anyone think they may allow (not sure if I have to spoiler tag this)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Didn't they already somewhat spoilerize that themselves? In one of the newest trailers, I think... it might have even been both of them, actually; if not, then it was probably the JP trailer but there is a clip in it that I believe pretty much answers that question. Because I remember thinking it was probably a little too spoilery to really be showing rn, even out of context.

Edit:
Although now that I re-read your question, I suppose this doesn't actually answer it properly. I mean, it's possible that they do add an extra event or something like that in order to prolong it, but it seems like something that maybe can't be helped entirely. It'd be cool if you could do something to basically unlock more time with her though, I would like to see something like that. And, I will say, we haven't seen anything that necessarily confirms one way or the other if it still happens as soon as it used to or not yet.
Spoiler:
That trailer grave has me confused because I seen a few people say the trailer spoiled the MC's death but then someone questioned if it was Nina's and myself do not remember enough to know whose grave it actually is. Though if you say it is Nina's grave then I think I'm more inclined to believe you as you appear to have a better memory on the game.

It would take some effort but I think it could be done if Marvelous is willing to put in the work. The doctor can still move to the valley with the very purpose of helping Nina live longer and the couple can both move to the new home as a better place for her health. Marvelous put in enough effort to add Gordy and some other new events so I wonder if they will here if it means making the setting appear more friendly like the other changes they've made.
TahoeMario
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Here are the new screenshots for today, showing off the dogs:
Spoiler:
It says that they can be trained with four different tricks. It looks like jump, turn, beg and give paw. I believe all four of these were in the originals, so nothing really seems to have been changed here.

Guest wrote: Nov 17, 2022 7:47 am For the record, Pui's character introduction says something along the lines of "A man dreaming of Coco Island. The butterflies circling around him, Tomoki and Tomoko, are his friends." I don't remember much about Murrey in the original game so I'm not sure if that's new.
Yeah, I had intended to bring that up when I posted his screenshots and yet I still apparently forgot to mention it. But so, ultimately, this doesn't really seem that far off from Murrey wanting to return to Popo Valley with Brad and... Angelina or whatever Natsume named the flies in the originals. It is a bit different but not by much. So, it'll be interesting to see where the actual changes to his personality that they talked about in the recent interview come in at. All they've said about him was that he's now "positive" and that he has "different lifegoals" now, but nothing really stands out as wildly different so far, other than obviously the names changing and his new design. Hardly enough to justify considering him a wholly new and separate character like they claim that they're trying to make him out to be, when he is clearly just a cute Murrey, Moi.

Also, I find it hilarious that his new catchphrase/name just kind of sounds like he's still trying to say "moi" but through his new big red stuffy nose that he has gotten from all the flowers he covers himself in now. It's like his allergies are acting up; he's basically smothering himself in all that pollen lmao.

Crystal Power wrote: Nov 17, 2022 8:28 pm
TahoeMario wrote: Nov 16, 2022 3:01 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Edit:
Spoiler:
That trailer grave has me confused because I seen a few people say the trailer spoiled the MC's death but then someone questioned if it was Nina's and myself do not remember enough to know whose grave it actually is. Though if you say it is Nina's grave then I think I'm more inclined to believe you as you appear to have a better memory on the game.

It would take some effort but I think it could be done if Marvelous is willing to put in the work. The doctor can still move to the valley with the very purpose of helping Nina live longer and the couple can both move to the new home as a better place for her health. Marvelous put in enough effort to add Gordy and some other new events so I wonder if they will here if it means making the setting appear more friendly like the other changes they've made.
Spoiler:
Oh... well if you don't remember then I feel bad talking about it, but I don't see it being the MC's. Not just because he's standing in front of it looking down at it, which would be weird if it was his own, but also because the location and shape of the headstone both match up to how I remember it being in the originals.

But I always thought that it would've been neat if she could've got to see their new home too and wondered what she'd say to being shown your child and stuff like that, so I would also like it if they held off on it for at least another chapter or two more myself. It is strange that they won't let animals die but the little ole lady still does. Although, I can appreciate that it does still happen too. It sort of ironically makes the world feel a bit more lived in and gives weight to the story being that it's a full life you're living in this world.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I see that the dogs remain unchanged! They’re so cute 💕

Huh, is that, erm, structure in the background of the doggo screenshots supposed to be a revamped storage shed? Or perhaps it’s a mix of the storage shed/tool shed? The reason I’m asking is because the object to the left of the wardrobe-looking thing looks like a refrigerator or freezer—a place for Pui to steal our milk from, though I’m sure he’s too good for that now :lol: