Story of Seasons: AWL remake announced!

What happened to Murrey!? A remake of Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (2004) and Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (2005) for Nintendo Switch. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jan 2023. NA release = June 2023. EU release = June 2023.
TahoeMario
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Oh yeah, I meant to mention this before. Although now I'm a bit conflicted on whether I should or not. And not to be a complete spoilsport here, but as for the whole crop generations confusion, they had actually left out last time this image from the Life page on the same topic that went up with the last website update:
Spoiler:
In the originals, this was the aftermath of the second picture from last time; was called a "Gretoma", I think... at least back then it was, the name might not matter this time but yeah, I believe this would be the direct result of that mixture.

Yesterday, the "new" screenshots were just showing off the mini-games again:
Spoiler:
Again, we've seen I think these exact same screenshots during that last website update but it's what they gave us so.

And here are the new screenshots for today, showing more of the Sprites' adventure:
Spoiler:
This is talking about weather forecasts... Flak is saying "The sky's so blue!", Nic is saying "Hey, the sky is all smiley and lovely!" while Nak says "Come to think of it... I heard that a person who predicts the sky's feelings lives in that box!"
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

YESSSSSSS, I’ve always loved the tv shows 😂 the shows were different in AWL and AnWL, so which ones are we going to get? The Cupid lady or the soap opera(ish?) show?
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Eh.... I'm not a big fan of mini games. It's cute and all at first, but it gets really boring after you play it a few times. :?
Anna_Lynn
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Having the pixelated TV shows return in the Mineral Town remake was such an adorable easter egg since they could have easily chose to redo/update the look of the TV screen. I love how the developers seem to have done the same here with AWL's TV! Well, other than it now being in a crisper resolution instead of 480p gamecube graphics, haha.

Also can't wait for Xseed's translations for the TV shows since I don't remember the shows from the original game too well.
Mabbie wrote: Jan 03, 2023 4:54 am Eh.... I'm not a big fan of mini games. It's cute and all at first, but it gets really boring after you play it a few times. :?
So true. I'm hoping that there's fun rewards tied to the minigames in the remake. I know in the original, if you beat the territory capture game against Kasey, he'd give you a 50G ore stone from the dig site. So exciting. :sleep:
TahoeMario
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Here are the new screenshots for today, showing off more of the Sprites' adventures:
Spoiler:
This is about the bulletin board. Nak is saying "Hey, guys, everyone seems to be writing their wishes here!", Nic is saying "And it's wonderful when their wishes come true!" while Flak says "The person who can grant this many wishes will be the hero of Forgotten Valley!"

Apparently, the Sprites can just talk inside your head now because I noticed that, in the video below, they can be heard by the player when he first tries to exit the farmhouse asking him to pick up Takakura's guidebook from the sidetable. And Flak reminds you to look at it when you first hop into the pasture, telling you to check for information left by Tak so that answers all that.

On the 6th, they released this video of a special BokuMono Radio broadcast, hosted by Daiki Yamashita, presenting the first gameplay preview. This obviously spoils a lot of the early game stuff so if you want to experience that for yourself then you probably don't want to watch it.
Spoiler:
It's all in Japanese, of course. He starts the game from the beginning and only plays one day, essentially, but seems to get a lot done in that time so. And then they load a save for him later on where he plays a little bit in Chapter 2.

He tries to go up what used to be the Link Cable mountain at one point and it gives him an option saying "Once in a while it might be nice to go to the city... It's about 6 hours away, what shall I do?" and the options are "I'm going out to play" or "Stop". So, that's interesting.

There's also a new shallow walkway across the river, making a second bridge basically, between the Sprites Tree and the digsite. Pretty neat.

By the way, I think Gordy actually looks pretty cool in motion. I'm glad they kept his kind of heavy breathing animation. Also, the new turtleneck and slight age-up for Lumina makes her look really appealing, imo. They both do feel more like new love interests to me than I thought they would, ya know, what with Lumina already being one in SE and such.

I was going to make timestamps for things in the video, but there's a lot of times to stamp out and I'm sure this post is ugly enough to look at as it is, so I'll refrain from doing that for now.
shayachan
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Random thoughts I am typing here as I am watching the video:
  • I am happy we finally see more of the character creation, like the eyecolors and all the hairstyles!
  • There seems to be a lot of tutorials now, which I guess is nice?
  • I do not like that they changed the jump-over-the-fence-sound :c I miss the old one.
  • It was expected, but buying seeds looks much nicer now, being able to see the prices immediately and all that.
  • I find it weird that your farm music is playing when your character is just walking on the path next to it, where the Inn etc. is. Might've been like that in the original? I don't really remember.
  • I think when the player talked to Gordy, Gordy made a quiet "hm" sound or something! I have been listening out for the noises, I hope there is more :D
  • Okay, Galen definitely said something. Nice! Now I just need to know if they are old or new voices, and if they will change them for the West, like how they did it with PoOT.
  • Nina is so smol, I love her.
  • Okay, with Lumina I am pretty sure the voices are new. Makes sense, I think when I played AnWL not too long ago the original lines sounded very low quality.
  • I love that path between the dig site and the forest pond, I always wanted something like that!
  • The dreams you have at night are different haha, love it.
  • The laugh of the daughter startled me lol. But I love that the child still has all the old animations, looks so cute!
  • I love how he is trying to take a picture of the daughter, but she always moves :'D
  • Bummed that they don't show us the festival at the end.
Crystal Power
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Sorry I know this is the most random thing to get excited about but I'm SHOCKED they made the news reporter on the the TV a Black Woman! It makes me feel hopeful that perhaps in the newest entry they may do more to have Black girls and women of color as marriage candidates as well! It would be so wonderful if women and men of color were staple candidates in each entry rather than "I hope they add one" this time...
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Crystal Power wrote: Jan 06, 2023 3:16 pm Sorry I know this is the most random thing to get excited about but I'm SHOCKED they made the news reporter on the the TV a Black Woman! It makes me feel hopeful that perhaps in the newest entry they may do more to have Black girls and women of color as marriage candidates as well! It would be so wonderful if women and men of color were staple candidates in each entry rather than "I hope they add one" this time...
PoOT had people of color as candidates. Lora and that one guy I forgot the name of
Actually unless I’m missing something cuz I didn’t read every post here, I’m sure every SoS game had at least one candidate with dark skin.
JustABeautifulGuy
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

the gameplay footage looks so good, and i’m glad it doesn’t seem to be laggy at all. the graphics are growing on me, this is gonna look so good on handheld. the animations are better compared to poot as well but i still wish they did some varied animations for some characters.

also that leaving to some other town message definitely has picked my attention, i wonder if we’ll actually get to see a town with NPCs or it’s just some multiplayer aspect. it could be related to having a FoMT remake save as well!

Crystal Power wrote: Jan 06, 2023 3:16 pm Sorry I know this is the most random thing to get excited about but I'm SHOCKED they made the news reporter on the the TV a Black Woman! It makes me feel hopeful that perhaps in the newest entry they may do more to have Black girls and women of color as marriage candidates as well! It would be so wonderful if women and men of color were staple candidates in each entry rather than "I hope they add one" this time...
she looks beautiful too! i’d love to have a marriageable candidate like her.
Crystal Power
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Shan O 123 wrote: Jan 06, 2023 3:31 pm
PoOT had people of color as candidates. Lora and that one guy I forgot the name of
Actually unless I’m missing something cuz I didn’t read every post here, I’m sure every SoS game had at least one candidate with dark skin.
With 3oT and PoOT it is the first time girls of color where candidates in two consecutive games, if we don't include ports/remakes. Also yes, for the majority there have been at least one dark skin male but I wanted to emphasize on there being at least one male and (especially) female candidate in each entry so sorry for the confusion. Also the main bokumono site is really nice, you can click any title and it shows you the marriage candidates up front without having to browse the individual sites, in case you're curious: https://www.bokumono.com/index.php
JustABeautifulGuy wrote: Jan 06, 2023 3:38 pm she looks beautiful too! i’d love to have a marriageable candidate like her.
Yes, she was what I was hoping for if they did add new candidates like the FoMT remake did.
StormFire
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Saw the video and I am so hyped! :) Extreme nostalgia overload for sure. I am definitely going to choose a daughter when it comes out, seeing as in Another Wonderful Life you could only have a son. I think the loading screens were way faster too, like when entering buildings, so that’s nice!
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Spoiler:
Crystal Power wrote: Jan 06, 2023 8:02 pm
With 3oT and PoOT it is the first time girls of color where candidates in two consecutive games, if we don't include ports/remakes. Also yes, for the majority there have been at least one dark skin male but I wanted to emphasize on there being at least one male and (especially) female candidate in each entry so sorry for the confusion. Also the main bokumono site is really nice, you can click any title and it shows you the marriage candidates up front without having to browse the individual sites, in case you're curious: https://www.bokumono.com/index.php
I'm seeing the terms "people of color" and "dark-skinned" being mixed together. People of color just means non-white people, not necessarily dark-skinned people, unless we're are using the version of PoC that features colorism that I've seen many times.

The games are made by the Japanese, and, just going by only available ladies obviously meant to be non-white, bachelorettes of color have been a stable of the series since the DS games about 15 years ago, with most games since then having at least 1 Asian bachelorette since HM:SI with Lily in 2008 (released in North America in 2010) and followed by Emiko of HM:GB; both bachelorettes from Konohana in HM:ToTT; Selina of HM:ToT and HM:AP probably counts, though her design was probably inspired by a different part(s) of Asia from the others; Iroha of HM:ANB; etc. Japanese art, especially anime, tend to give both whites and East Asians the same skin color, which complicates matters. More recent games have also included bachelorettes of color that aren't Asian, now that Marvelous wants to focus on a global audience than a Japanese one.
Crystal Power
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

PaleSunflower wrote: Jan 06, 2023 11:58 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Crystal Power wrote: Jan 06, 2023 8:02 pm
I'm seeing the terms "people of color" and "dark-skinned" being mixed together. People of color just means non-white people, not necessarily dark-skinned people, unless we're are using the version of PoC that features colorism that I've seen many times.

The games are made by the Japanese, and, just going by only available ladies obviously meant to be non-white, bachelorettes of color have been a stable of the series since the DS games about 15 years ago, with most games since then having at least 1 Asian bachelorette since HM:SI with Lily in 2008 (released in North America in 2010) and followed by Emiko of HM:GB; both bachelorettes from Konohana in HM:ToTT; Selina of HM:ToT and HM:AP probably counts, though her design was probably inspired by a different part(s) of Asia from the others; Iroha of HM:ANB; etc. Japanese art, especially anime, tend to give both whites and East Asians the same skin color, which complicates matters. More recent games have also included bachelorettes of color that aren't Asian, now that Marvelous wants to focus on a global audience than a Japanese one.
To clarify I mean to imply a person that skin tone is darker than "just tan" no matter their race. So far when it comes to females the only ones that fit this criteria is Selena (ToT & AP), Iiluka and Siluka (3oT) and Luara (PoOT).

However I do like the tidbit you gave about Asian bachelorettes!
fancypurincup
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

OMG!! This gameplay video with Daiki Yamashita is so, SO GOOD. I thought a lot of the small changes were interesting ones, especially the state of the farm in the beginning. But I think one of my favorite aesthetic choices here is just how textured? The valley is? I'm playing AnWL at the moment, and comparing these games together, SoS AWL feels more alive than its GCN/PS2 predecessors. It looks and feels like a real place, as opposed to a bunch of transparent images sitting on a flat, brown background. Imo, this makes it feel more immersive.

And I love love LOVED his reaction to the daughter in the second part. Him basically crying, "No! Hinata look at Daddy! Come to Daddy!" as if he was a real parent trying to take a picture of his real, actual child, LOL it was too cute. I feel like I've done the same thing in these games before, screaming at my little virtual child so I can get a look at them. :lol:

Honestly this gameplay video really sells it for me, and Summer cant come fast enough for a western release.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Ahhhhh okay, I’m really excited :D I can’t wait for this game to come out!