Story of Seasons: AWL remake announced!

What happened to Murrey!? A remake of Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (2004) and Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (2005) for Nintendo Switch. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jan 2023. NA release = June 2023. EU release = June 2023.
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Guest wrote: Oct 06, 2022 4:58 am Thats interesting about the weddings! Too bad they don't wear wedding outfits though :( oh well...
Maybe that's just the proposal, there's gotta be a formal wedding..... I hope....
TahoeMario
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Mabbie wrote: Oct 06, 2022 5:20 am
Guest wrote: Oct 06, 2022 4:58 am Thats interesting about the weddings! Too bad they don't wear wedding outfits though :( oh well...
Maybe that's just the proposal, there's gotta be a formal wedding..... I hope....
They're calling it the wedding. So, this either takes place after the two of you walk around town telling everyone you're getting married, or this replaces that scene entirely. It is unfortunate that there aren't any wedding outfits though. I would've been fine with them just keeping the old scene but putting you and your spouse in special outfits this time myself but
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

TahoeMario wrote: Oct 06, 2022 5:55 am
Mabbie wrote: Oct 06, 2022 5:20 am
They're calling it the wedding. So, this either takes place after the two of you walk around town telling everyone you're getting married, or this replaces that scene entirely. It is unfortunate that there aren't any wedding outfits though. I would've been fine with them just keeping the old scene but putting you and your spouse in special outfits this time myself but
Seriously!? :? :? :? what a bummer..
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

A wedding scene?! :D :D :D

I can't wait to see this scene with Molly. It was always so sad that you never got to see the wedding in the original.
fancypurincup
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I'm just stoked that they're letting us choose to the gender of our child outright, instead of having it automatically be a 50/50 chance, or having to do some weird little task to get the daughter. This is all I really wanted ahhh!
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Same for me too. Because, I was really hoping we could pick. For my first save, it feels right that my farmer and Molly have a son, so I want to make that happen. When I make other saves for Celia and Nami, I wouldn't mind having a daughter with one of them. It will probably end up like this;

Marry Molly -> Son.
Marry Celia -> Daughter.
Marry Nami -> Let the game decide.

The male candidates and Lumina are great and all, but it just feels authentic AWL to choose only from the OG girls for me.
Anna_Lynn
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Aww...I'm going to miss the Mr. Pots easter egg, haha. I'm assuming we can still enter the sprite tree because I think I remember an image of Pui and Mukumuku inside of the tree. I wonder if Marvelous will "tone down" the cutscene for entering the tree. The PS2 game had you eating poisonous mushrooms as the screen fades to black (the screen wibble-wobbles in the GC versions), then waking you up inside of their home, lol!

Awesome that we can pick our child's gender without pushing a button 100 times. I hope influencing our child for what career they want is a little bit easier too. In the current file I've been playing in my free time, I married Muffy and it's a literal struggle to keep my daughter's interest up in animals, despite the internet saying that animal ranching is the second easiest career to influence Muffy's child with.

Interesting to note that in those wedding pictures, the ground looks really brown, almost as if it isn't the first day of Spring. Yes I know the game has gradual season change, but the way the grass looks makes it seem as if it's the end of Autumn, not the end of Winter. I love how the mushrooms and flowers look though! They look very pretty hanging over the Goddess pond like that, sort of like a wedding arch.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Can anyone confirm if the game ends after a year if you don't get married? I understand there are only 10 day seasons, so I'm wondering if this mechanic has changed or not.
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

infel wrote: Oct 06, 2022 4:42 pm Can anyone confirm if the game ends after a year if you don't get married? I understand there are only 10 day seasons, so I'm wondering if this mechanic has changed or not.
It doesn't end after a year. As far as I know, you can't "not get married." In the original, there was a back up mechanism to prevent that and progress into chapter 2. If after that first year, you ignored all the ladies mostly, the one that had the highest affection would come propose to you. But, if you literally ignored them and they all had no affection for you, Celia was the default to come propose to you. No idea if you can turn them down, as wooing the ladies is crazy easy in this game. You can literally get them to 4 hearts in 10 days, and get the blue feather first of Summer. You could be engaged as early as that. I always prioritised the girl I wanted to marry on that save in that first season, then focused on the farm.

I'm guessing they kept this system the same, to make it as faithful of a remake as they have done.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Rose Petals wrote: Oct 06, 2022 5:47 pm
infel wrote: Oct 06, 2022 4:42 pm Can anyone confirm if the game ends after a year if you don't get married? I understand there are only 10 day seasons, so I'm wondering if this mechanic has changed or not.
It doesn't end after a year. As far as I know, you can't "not get married." In the original, there was a back up mechanism to prevent that and progress into chapter 2. If after that first year, you ignored all the ladies mostly, the one that had the highest affection would come propose to you. But, if you literally ignored them and they all had no affection for you, Celia was the default to come propose to you. No idea if you can turn them down, as wooing the ladies is crazy easy in this game. You can literally get them to 4 hearts in 10 days, and get the blue feather first of Summer. You could be engaged as early as that. I always prioritised the girl I wanted to marry on that save in that first season, then focused on the farm.

I'm guessing they kept this system the same, to make it as faithful of a remake as they have done.
In the original, if you absolutely refuse the marriage proposals that are offered to you, you move back to the city and the game ends.
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

FarmingForDaysMan wrote: Oct 06, 2022 7:45 pm
Rose Petals wrote: Oct 06, 2022 5:47 pm

In the original, if you absolutely refuse the marriage proposals that are offered to you, you move back to the city and the game ends.
I can confirm both events are mostly the same in HM:AnWL as well. I think Martin was the default love interest in HM:AnWL instead of Celia. Most of these reverse proposals (before reverse proposals were really a thing) are on Youtube by themselves if you'd like to see them. I could only find Nami's as part of a single% play-through (where the player refuses to get married and ends the game early), though only about first 30 sec. are unique to a reverse proposal in the HM:AWL games (once the character gives the feather out, the rest of the scene mostly plays out as normal). There's footage of the single-forever ending on Youtube as well.
Spoiler:
Muffy's reverse propose in particular has her seemingly go through you character's belongings as your character sleeps and taking the blue feather out herself before she asks what Mark (male MC) intends to do with the feather. Considering how she wants to get married the most out off all of the candidates, it makes sense that she'd be a bit despite and pushy about marriage, and I don't think she does anything else like that otherwise.

Also, Rock won't say his infamous "I won't work." line if he proposes to Pony (the female MC).
(Do I need spoilers for such an old game? Hmm...) I wonder who will be the default love interest in the remake or if the game will pick one out at random.
TahoeMario
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

They've been showing a lot of Cecilia implying that she'd be the default love interest that you'd be funneled towards marrying, but I do wonder how they're even going to push one onto you this time with their heavy appeal of being inclusive and putting same gender marriage into the game. Because I was thinking maybe they'd still push Cecilia onto the boys and Matthew onto the girls but idk how that would work with both that and the nonbinary option too now. So that further makes me think that at least Chapter 1 has to involve some milestones you need to complete first. Maybe you actually need Takakura to build your kitchen and you to get married to someone of your choosing like in most games before Chapter 1 progresses or something like that. But I could be wrong, and it would be nice to still have the reverse proposals and such.

Here are the new screenshots for today, showing off both Galen:
Spoiler:

And Nina:
Spoiler:

Galen's second image says: "This is the perfect place to take it easy. I hope you enjoy fishing as well." while Nina's second image has her saying something like: "This time of the year reminds me of when we first came to Forgotten Valley".
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Spoiler:
I seriously hope Nina survives this time. I frequently replayed chapter 1, just to have more time with her. Even in HMDS, I postponed marriage as long as possible to keep her alive.
Those Galen and Nina pics are adorable! :heart: I especially love that one of them looking at each other with the little music note above their heads.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I'd argue Rock is the default on AnWL. It seemed like he'd get hearts much faster than Marlin and Gustafa. When I first played as a kid and didn't know what to do/slept through most of the game, Rock proposed. I had rented the game so I legit thought he was the only bachelor. Also thought Nami was a guy, but could not get her to accept any of my gifts lol. So I was shocked when I got the game for Christmas amd read the manual.
Princess-of-Dragons
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Guest wrote: Oct 07, 2022 6:33 am I'd argue Rock is the default on AnWL. It seemed like he'd get hearts much faster than Marlin and Gustafa. When I first played as a kid and didn't know what to do/slept through most of the game, Rock proposed. I had rented the game so I legit thought he was the only bachelor. Also thought Nami was a guy, but could not get her to accept any of my gifts lol. So I was shocked when I got the game for Christmas amd read the manual.
I think this as well. Rock starts the game with 2 hearts in his diary towards you He already liiiikes you. I found this out when I was wanting to see what would happen if I didn't romance the bachelors. Learned that I have to actively ignore/insult/give bad gifts to Rock to get him to stop auto proposing to me.

Anyway! Galen! Nina! Cute as always!
Spoiler:
I can see why it takes a long time for Galen to get over Nina's passing. Them looking at each other in that one picture with such love..
You know, I wouldn't mind him also passing away. But, like, at the start of chapter 4? Chapter 2 is his mourning chapter and chapter 3 is his acceptance chapter, with him being ok with her passing and his approaching end. With chapter 4, he finally gets to see her again...
---- ow my heart </3